Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:27 AM

Lagos Teachers can't speak English language - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Teachers can't speak English language (13841 Views)

Think You Can Speak English Fluently, Try This.... / If You Can Pronounce This Whole Poem, You Speak English Better Than 90% Of Us / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 12:44am On Dec 18, 2009
Teachers In Lagos Can’t Write Correct Sentences —Sosan
December 16, 2009 14:13, 1,251 views
By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Many teachers in Lagos State public primary schools cannot write correct sentences, Deputy Governor of the State, Princess Sarah Sosan, has revealed.

Sosan explained that the state government cannot tolerate this again, stressing that any teacher who cannot meet the academic standards in the New Year should either be shown the way out or be asked to go back to the training school.

The deputy governor who dropped this bombshell at a meeting with Head teachers of public primary schools in the state lamented the decay in the primary school system, adding that there had been a sharp drop in enrolment into public schools within the last 10 years as a result of poor teaching.

“Many of our teachers cannot write correct sentences.  Those days are over.  As we enter the New Year, any teacher who is not able to meet up with the standards will be asked to go or go back to training school.

“We have primary six children that are being taught alphabets in JSS 1.  The situation is so bad. The performance of our teachers and that of the Head teachers is a concern. Our primary education is bad, it is really, really bad.

“Anywhere I go, I get complaints that our teachers can’t speak English.  We should improve and that is why we are here. Our primary school teachers must upgrade their knowledge. Many of them are not doing so.They should work on themselves,” Sosan directed.

The deputy governor disclosed that although the state government was putting in much to provide qualitative education, the teachers were not helping matters, as some of them were not coming to school at all.

According to her, “lots of pupils are no longer coming to our schools, unlike 10 years ago. The problem is qualitative teaching.  We hear that some teachers, especially in Epe, don’t come to school at all. God is watching us.

“We are not expecting man to reward us. We need to put the fear of God in everything we do. Whether people are watching us or not, do the right thing.  Let people have faith in our schools again.

“As Head teachers, you don’t need to be afraid of any teacher, whether they have godfathers or not. We need a disciplined educational sector. We are not happy with what is going on in our primary schools.  It is so bad,” she lamented.

Sosan recounted an experience when she went to Iwaya Primary School, Yaba LCDA and entered into a conversation with a primary four pupil. She said she asked the girl whether she understood what she said. To her consternation, the girl replied in Yoruba language.

Sosan asked the Head teachers to do something urgent about the shabby dressing of primary school pupils and warned that henceforth, head teachers of schools where pupils dress shabbily would be sanctioned.

“I go into the streets and see our pupils badly dressed.  I see pupils with their chest open. We don’t want that anymore.   If I see your pupils badly dressed again, we will sanction you as the head teacher.   Until they remove their uniforms, they don’t have to be shabbily dressed.  We have to start training them.

“If teachers are doing their work, we won’t get bad results.  Pupils perform poorly because teachers are not doing what they are supposed to do,” she said, adding that the various education secretaries who were expected to monitor the schools had failed.

“The education secretaries are not working.  We are going into 2010 and there are lots of challenges. Let us try our best, our performance must improve.  Please, wake up whoever (head teacher) is sleeping, we have come here for a serious matter,” she said.

Chairman, Lagos State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Alhaja Gbolahan Daudu, earlier said the essence of the meeting was to exchange ideas on how to improve education in the state.

“Education is the bedrock of the society and it starts from nursery and primary schools.  It is quite germane to have this kind of meeting often.  The essence is to talk as a family in order to ensure a brighter future for our children,” she stated.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/16/midweekk-special-teachers-in-lagos-can%E2%80%99t-write-correct-sentences-%E2%80%94sosan
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AndreUweh(m): 12:58am On Dec 18, 2009
It is not that they can not write or speak english, but they are deliberately doing that to sabotage govt's effort in promoting english ahead of Yoruba language. Remember, last week that one eminent Yoruba governor raised an alarm over the neglect of Yoruba language.
The teachers should be encouraged to teach and speak yoruba to pupils in Lagos state.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 1:00am On Dec 18, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It is not that they can not write or speak english, but they are deliberately doing that to sabotage govt's effort in promoting english ahead of Yoruba language. Remember, last week that one eminent Yoruba governor raised an alarm over the neglect of Yoruba language.
The teachers should be encouraged to teach and speak yoruba to pupils in Lagos state.

You are joking right?. wink wink wink
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AndreUweh(m): 1:05am On Dec 18, 2009
no.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Dec 18, 2009
Andre Uweh:

What in the world??  shocked angry see logic ooo!!! Roflmao!!!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by MrCrackles(m): 1:25am On Dec 18, 2009
Topic. . .

Lawd hammercy shocked
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by mamagee3(f): 1:36am On Dec 18, 2009
This is serious. . . tongue
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 18, 2009
Andre Uweh:

no.
lol, yes you are.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by maddock(m): 5:20am On Dec 18, 2009
Its not just lagos state alone, but all part of the country. Go to the east and also the north the story is the same. Expecially in the rural areas, you find stuff like this in mostly goverment owned schools. No private school would emply you if you cant speak english, cos how are going to pass through the interview stages in the first place.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2009
Andre Uweh:

LMAO! grin I doubt sha! I hope it is not true.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by JProspero: 11:55am On Dec 18, 2009
It's not surprising. I did my NYSC in a Lagos Secondary School some years ago. I could not speak in Yoruba. I discovered that most of the JSS1 & 2 students could not communicate at all in English. Any time I had to talk to such kids I would have to call another student to be the interpreter.

But it is not just the public school. Our private schools are bad too. I have had to move my kids out of their school because of the bad English of their teachers despite the high school fees.

I interview graduates for employment regularly. The level of illiteracy I have to contend with is just unbelievable. Our education is close to death.

Our parents and uncles who had only Standard 6 in years past could write good letters and communicate correctly. God help us!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On Dec 18, 2009
It is not surprising that most Lagos kids cannot speak or write proper English.

The Nairaland 'songs you used to sing in primary school' thread shows that most Yoruba kids spend their formative years learning Yoruba songs instead of learning to speak English!!!  grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by babypalm: 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
Why won't they speak Yoruba all the time, they can even teach mathematics in Yoruba sef. The situation has so much depreciated and it is not only the teachers, what about the parents buying expo for their wards, and the teachers that has not been paid for 6 months and he/she has 4 children to cater for. it is a very pathetic story.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2009
The reason is under funding of Yorubas state. Why the satellite pictures shows that the Yorubas state have more population. The state with less than 10% of the population of some of this Yorubas state get 3 to 4 times the money.

I was teacher in Adamawa state and the public school in Adamawa state are far better than the Yorubas state school.

Look the school had better equipment and others. Even in this public school some of thier student live inside the school for free.

All the period I live in Nigeria, There have never been a day in the south were NEPA no take light. Make I put it clear for una. While in Adamawa state , they had 24 hours electricity. The electricity hardly ever fail.  And it is the same with out northern state.

They get the best for themself.

I think the solution is for fashola, akala, daniel, mimiko  etc to stop all federal govt tax been collected in  states. And any federal govt ministry in the state which does not follow the rule , fashola, akala, daniel, mimiko  should take the C of O. This way it force the federal to come to the table and any state that side with the federal govt, he withdraw thier C of O and keep the money. By the time the federal govt cant pay abuja works and house of assembly and senators have no salary. They would think twice.  You can even remove the C of O of EFCC or police or army and anybody that house thier ministry.

This is what democracy is about. You force them to come to the table. It may look bad. But this is how it is done over here. You use what you have to get wht you want.

Politics is not that friendship over here. They use what they have. If i have video I would post it. This is how they run democracy over here.

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2009
becomrich,:

The reason is under funding of Yorubas state. Why the satellite pictures shows that the Yorubas state have more population. The state with less than 10% of the population of some of this Yorubas state get 3 to 4 times the money.

I was once a teacher in Adamawa state and the public school in Adamawa state are far better than the Yorubas state school.

Look the school had better equipment and others. Even in this public school some of thier student live inside the school for freedom.

All the period I live in Nigeria, There have never been a day in the south were NEPA no take light. Make I put it clear for una. While in Adamawa state , they had 24 hours electricity. The electricity hardly ever fail.  And it is the same with out northern state.

They get the best for themself.

I think the solution is for fashola, akala, daniel, mimiko  etc to stop all federal govt tax been collected in lagos state. And any federal govt ministry in the state which does not follow the rule , fashola, akala, daniel, mimiko  should take the C of O. This way it force the federal to come to the table and any state that side with the federal govt, he withdraw thier C of O and keep the money. By the time the federal govt cant pay abuja works and house of assembly and senators have no salary. They would think twice.  You can even remove the C of O of EFCC and anybody that house thier ministry.

This is what democracy is about. You force them to come to the table. It may look bad. But this is how it is done over here. You use what you have to get wht you want.

Politics is not that friendship over here. They use what they have. If i have video I would post it. This is how they run democracy over here.
very silly lie!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2009
what lie? I can name several people who are still alive, that saw it happen.    is the picture of abuja not there. if you look at satellite pictures. You would find oil reserve tank in several location in the north , but when you look at the south, you cant find. Go and do google. The north have store oil in large reserve in case nigeria breaks up.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 4:01pm On Dec 18, 2009
i'm in the north o. . .just so you know before u start
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 4:05pm On Dec 18, 2009
becomrich,:

[size=14pt]
I was once a teacher in Adamawa state and the public school in Adamawa state are far better than the Yorubas state school.
[/size]

I wonder if Adamawa students can speak the English language. wink
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by MrCrackles(m): 4:07pm On Dec 18, 2009
Becomrich what a load of rubbish. . . .And you want to become the president of Nigeria shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2009
@becomerich
the public system in niger state (where i am) is beyond atrocious!. . .so your story of the north being better is a lie.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 4:23pm On Dec 18, 2009
netotse:

@becomerich
the public system in niger state (where i am) is beyond atrocious!. . .so your story of the north being better is a lie.

BecomeRich was not a professor in Niger state and as such, will not know how to address your question unless he can find the satellite pictures.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2009
For what Niger state get. Niger state schools should not have problem.

MrCrackles , how do you think democracy works. Yes I want to be president. President do not support cheating. You want a fair system. Look, I am going to force the north to produce . It is not that they can not produce anything. It is thier brain that need to be fix.

It is the way the brains of Northerner are working. It is working in the other direction. Instead of the normal way it should work. Thier brain believe they have to depend on the south. And they are wrong.  If you change the way they think, they would be Ok. You force them to generate thier own, The north use to before now. Go and read your history in the 1960s.  

what have happen to thier brain since then.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 4:32pm On Dec 18, 2009
becomrich,:

For what Niger state get. Niger state schools should not have problem.

MrCrackles , how do you think democracy works. Yes I want to be president. President do not support cheating. You want a fair system. Look, I am going to force the north to produce . It is not that they can not produce anything. It is thier brain that need to be fix.

It is the way the brains of Northerner are working. It is working in the other direction. Instead of the normal way it should work. Thier brain believe they have to depend on the south. And they are wrong.  If you change the way they think, they would be Ok. You force them to generate thier own, The north use to before now. Go and read your history in the 1960s.  

what have happen to thier brain since then.
dont even go there. . .i will drown you!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 4:34pm On Dec 18, 2009
When federal ministry do not pay NEPA what do NEPA do. They go and cut off the electricity. This is federal to federal govt body. Yorubas state should do the same.  And take over the taxes using the state house until the federal govt agree to thier terms. As long as you remove the C of O of the army, police and EFCC, the federal is powerless.

State in Nigeria , do not know how democracy works.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 4:41pm On Dec 18, 2009
@becomerich
this is a school in niger state o. . .that is much better than schools in lagos!

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 4:51pm On Dec 18, 2009
When you look at the satellite pictures, here is minna compared to Ikorodu. You can see the different. Not to talk of lagos. So you see why i made that statement. That Niger state should not have problem.

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 4:53pm On Dec 18, 2009
netotse:

@becomerich
this is a school in niger state o. . .that is much better than schools in lagos!

That is what makes me angry when I read people on nairaland talking about presidency as if having one will change the lives of the people. Imagine a primary school in the home state of IBB who ruled Nigeria for a whooping 8 years yet his kinsmen's children cannot sit down properly in their schools.

Are you sure that is not photoshopped because I've never seen a school where kids sit on the floor in school like that?.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by MrCrackles(m): 5:02pm On Dec 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are you sure that is not photoshopped because I've never seen a school where kids sit on the floor in school like that?.
That pix is not photoshopped. . . There are so many other cases in Nigeria trust me!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2009
How do I know that is the picture of Niger state. You have no prove. what website did you get it from.
When I call for the break up of nigeria. I know Nigeria politics and I know how the future would be. It would lead to a civil war, that why i want to be president.

See this pictures, when you compare the north to just Lagos alone. I mean just lagos. we dont want to talk about other part of the south.

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by MrCrackles(m): 5:09pm On Dec 18, 2009
becomrich,:

How do I know that is the picture of Niger state. You have no prove. what website did you get it from.
When I call for the break up of nigeria. I know Nigeria politics and I know how the future would be. It would lead to a civil war, that why i want to be president.
See this pictures, when you compare the north to just Lagos alone. I mean just lagos. we dont want to talk about other part of the south.
How will the future be?
How do you know about this? cheesy
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by netotse(m): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2009
@becomerich
i took the pic myself, i'm doing my NYSC in the same local govt,

that was primary 2

i hv no idea wot class this is. . .

P.S. the education is free

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2009
MrCrackles:

That pix is not photoshopped. . . There are so many other cases in Nigeria trust me!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/209758_cds_jpgb2fd3b4ffa6e6625cdf723fad6816f53

Did you check the floor of that building?. It's like sand. Let me hear this igbo people here complain about negligence in the federal character because they have better schools than this at least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos SCRPS Renovates 92 Dilapidated Public Schools / ASUU: No Regret Stopping Gowon, Soyinka From Speaking At Uniabuja Event / Security Guard Accused Of Defiling A 4-Year-Old Girl At Greater Scholars School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.