Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" (990 Views)

Kanu Nwankwo Visits Kelechi Iheanacho In Manchester / 3 Nigeria U-17 Players Fail MRI Age-Test Scans / 15 Under 17 Players Decamped For Failing Mri Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" by andyanders: 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
Kelechi Iheanacho
Kelechi Iheanacho has attracted interest from top clubs across Europe after his impressive displays at the 2013 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

The Golden Eaglets forward was named the Most Valuable Player (Golden Ball winner) at the tournament after scoring six goals, including one in the final, to help Nigeria make history as the first country to win the competition for the fourth time.

Nigeria arrived in UAE as 1985, 1993 and 2007 champions, and Iheanacho’s heroics ensured that South America powerhouse Brazil, who won the competition in 1997, 1999 and 2003, were stopped from dominating the Under-17 World Cup like the senior World Cup.

No team have won the senior World Cup more times than Brazil. They hold the record with five tournament wins: 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002. They have appeared in every World Cup since the tournament began in Uruguay in 1930.

And Iheanacho’s performances for the Eaglets in UAE have drawn comparisons with Argentina superstar Lionel Messi and Brazil’s Neymar at the same age since he helped the Eaglets etch their names into the record books.

The Taye Football Academy star has been linked with moves to Arsenal, Manchester City, Porto and Chelsea but Canada ’87 FIFA Under-17 World Cup silver medallist Anthony Emedofu says the in-demand player should follow the example of Barcelona teen sensation Neymar who stayed back in Brazil, despite interest from top European sides after he impressed at the 2009 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria and the 2011 South American Youth Championship in Peru.

Neymar’s nine goals in the Peru championship helped Brazil to win the competition for the eleventh-time.

“Iheanacho is highly talented and he can be like Neymar, Ronaldo and Messi,” the Saudi’89 FIFA Under-20 World Cup silver medallist told our correspondent on the telephone during the week.

“I’m very happy that big European clubs are chasing a after his signature, but I think it’s too early for him to move to Europe.

“Brazil didn’t allow the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid lure Neymar away from the country to Europe when he emerged as one of the hottest properties in South American football.

“Big European clubs were ready to pay any amount of money for him but the Brazilian Football Federation resisted them.

“As a result, Neymar was forced to stay back in his country to develop for four year (at Santos) before joining Barcelona.

“The Brazilian FA did what they did to ensure that the player’s career was not ruined by European clubs who will put him under much pressure to deliver.

“The Federal Government or the Nigeria Football Federation should stop Iheanacho and other players who won the World Cup in UAE from leaving the country for Europe now.

“They are very young to leave for professional careers in Europe. They should stay in the country and play for the likes of Enyimba, Kano Pillars, Enugu Rangers and Warri Wolves to hone their skills.

“If they play regularly for their (domestic) clubs, they will develop better skills and attract interest from clubs in Europe.

“The players should only leave when they are guaranteed first-team football by clubs in Europe and not their reserve or feeder teams.

“We made mistakes in the past by allowing our players leave for Europe after winning the Under-17 World Cup.

“Some of the players were overage and they fizzled out immediately they got to Europe.

“It’s like someone repeating primary six when he is supposed to be a graduate.

“Where are the players who moved to Europe after winning the Under-17 World Cup in 2007?

“How many of them are playing for big clubs today?

“Macaulay Chrisantus joined Hamburg after he emerged as the top scorer at the tournament in South Korea. Where’s he today?

“Perhaps he would have been in the Super Eagles today and be in our World Cup squad if he had stayed back in the country to develop himself.

“Christian Benteke, Eden Hazard, Mamadou Sakho, Danny Welbeck, Victor Moses (represented England) and Toni Kroos played in the tournament and they are going to the World Cup. We won the competition and we should have many of the players playing for top clubs, but how many of them are in the Super Eagles? None.

“Our aim should be to develop players for the senior World Cup and not winning the age-grade tournaments.

“We can engage the players who won the World Cup in UAE by arranging Under-19 competitions for them before they move to the Flying Eagles.

“There should be more grassroots competitions in the country. I featured in a number of competitions where I was picked for the Under-17 World Cup in Canada.

“We also have to develop our coaches. They need to be current because the game is changing fast.

“The rich ones should go overseas for coaching courses and return home to organise seminars.

“Nigerians who had successful football careers in Europe and emulate their Sudanese and South African counterparts who bring foreign coaches to help develop the game in their countries.”

Emedofu, who is popularly called Poropo, backed the federal and state governments financial and material rewards for the victorious UAE 2013 squad, saying the move would motivate the players to give the country their best in future tournaments.

“By getting money and landed properties from the government, the players will remember that they played for the country,” the former Julius Berger and Udoji United winger said.

“That is why the players should stay in the country and play for at least three years to grow like Neymar before moving to Europe.

“They shouldn’t be in a hurry to leave the country because they can be in the country and win tournaments for the country and be rewarded by the government for their efforts.”

Poropo, who is a football coach at the Edo State Sports Council, is backing the Super Eagles to make an impact at next year’s World Cup in Brazil, saying Stephen Keshi boasts quality players in his arsenal.

“The team must be applauded for qualifying for the World Cup,” the former Cyprus-based left-footer said.

“But we must work very hard to build a strong team for the World Cup. Keshi should stop inviting untested players to the team.

“Ivory Coast only invite players who are regulars in their clubs, unlike us.

“Keshi should have 25 players he is focusing on for the World Cup and not invite any player because people are clamouring for him to be given a chance to play for the country.

“If we prepare very well, we can make an impact at the World Cup.”

The 41-year-old says he has no regrets over his inability to break into the Eagles and help the country win titles like his teammates Nduka Ugbade and Mutiu Adepoju after the 1989 Under-20 World Cup.

The WAFU and CAF Confederation Cup winner said, “The country had two great left-footed wingers in Friday Elaho and James Etokebe, and they were better than me.

“I was one of their admirers and they were in the national team on merit. Since I wasn’t good enough to displace any of them, I wasn’t given the opportunity to play.

“Others who took over from them (Elaho and Etokebe) were better than me.

“But I’m proud of my achievements in the game. My greatest regret is that there wasn’t money in the game when I played.

“I played in Europe I wasn’t recognised because I was playing in Cyprus. When I discovered that they (Cypriot club) were exploiting me, I returned to Nigeria.”

The former Enugu Rangers star said he would have been in the spotlight if he had got the right manager to get him a club in England, Spain and Italy.

“I would have been popular like my Idol (Diego) Maradona if I had played true professional football in Europe,” Poropo said.

“I was like him: crafty. Unfortunately I didn’t have the right people to manage me.”

Poropo, who won gold and silver in rugby for Edo State at the 2006 National Sports Festival in Ogun State, began his football career in Benin, where he played for Marathon and Samco Stars.

He travelled with Samco Stars to Sweden and Denmark in 1985. He represented the defunct Bendel State at Kwara’ 85 National Sports Festival and won gold before he was invited to the Golden Eaglets in 1986 ahead of Canada ’87 Under-17 World Cup.
Re: Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" by andyanders: 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2013
This advise should be adhered to if these players want to get a career for their future as these clubs and agents only needed to make money out of them now and later they will turn to Osondus, Chrisantus and their likes.
Re: Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" by sainty2k3(m): 8:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
Oh! Oh! Even Porto is bad for him abi, he should choose Eyimba. If na you u go stay. Abeg any development that can happen to them in nigeria can also happen in a foregn club(well selected). Leave the boys o. Which federal Government are u talking about, the one that gave them 2 million naira :/ . I prefer the holistic approach I.e to get both good training for development and also a good pay
Re: Good Advise For Under 17 Players "Kelechi Iheanacho And Others" by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 01, 2013
lmao

Trust me there are millions of Iheanacho in our local leagues who their careers died because of poor organization, bad pitch, and lack of world class coaching facilities

If these boys get the chance to go abroad, to a world class football academy; they should not even think twice! They may never get that chance again.

Nigeria has not got to that level yet, our local league is crap!

(1) (Reply)

Brazil 2014: I Will Win The Golden Boot Award / Ebube Nwagbo Throws Shade At ladies Who Stripped To Support super Eagles / I Will Continue As Nigeria’s Coach If Contract Is Extended – Keshi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.