Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan (1475 Views)

PURPORTED NLC STRIKE: Why We Should All Oppose It. / I Am A Nigerian. I Am A Muslim. And I Am ANGRY!!! / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Israelmossaic: 6:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has explained the Federal Government’s order to lecturers of federal universities to end the ongoing strike or face sack.

He spoke Friday night at the Bayelsa State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party caucus meeting at the Government House, Yenagoa,.

According to him, the union has refused to call off the action despite a 13-hour meeting he held with its leaders.

Jonathan disclosed that the meeting, also attended by Vice President, Namadi Sambo; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim; and Ministers of Finance, Labour and Education was the longest in his political career.

“What ASUU is doing is no longer trade Union, he said. “I have intervened in other labour issues before now. Once I invite them, they respond and after the meeting, they take decision and call off the strike.

“At times, we don’t even give them a long notice unlike in the case of ASUU that were given four-day notice before the meeting.

“As you are meeting to resolve trade disputes, you expect the trade unions to get their officials ready.

“What was expected having met with the highest authority in the land for long hours was for ASUU to immediately issue a statement within 12 or latest 24 hours to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not.

“And if they are not accepting they state the reason why. But despite the fact that I had the longest meeting with ASUU in my political history, we did not start that meeting until around 2pm and the meeting ended the next day in the early hours of the morning.

“As far as the government of Nigeria was concerned, all the critical people that should be in a meeting were there. So what else do they want? He quipped.

“After that, they didn’t meet until one week, despite the fact that you met with the highest authority.

On the death of the Union’s former leader, the president said: “It was unfortunate, one of them, Prof. Festus Iyayi, died. The way ASUU has conducted the matter shows they were extreme and when Iyayi died they now said the strike was now indefinite.

“Our children have been at home for over five months!”

Speaking, former Bayelsa State Governor, DSP Alamieyeseigha, urged the President to reconsider the December 4 deadline, saying Iyayi’s burial is fixed for that date.

Responding, President Jonathan said: “We didn’t give them ultimatum. It was the Committee of Vice Chancellors that took that decision.

“The supervising Minister of education only passed on the decision. What ASUU is doing is no longer trade dispute but subversive action.

“But like you rightly noted, so that we will not be perceived to be insensitive, we will consult on the deadline,” he assured.

He further thanked Bayelsans for their prayers and support, adding that “Any state the PDP is united, it will win elections. I thank you for the unity in the state.

“I’m happy that the division in other states PDP is not here. The unity is not automatic because as vice president I knew what I passed through.

“This is the first time this dichotomy among Abuja politicians and stakeholders in the state has been removed and I’m grateful and I am happy the governor is leading it. I’m glad that deadly virus has been killed.

“I’m against imposition, though I am a leader of the party, but I believe I need to negotiate and consult for any appointment.”
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 30, 2013
Sauce or i'm not eating this bullsheet undecided
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by asala1: 7:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
SUPER STORY! This man is a big joke, see the way he is talking like a village fisherman

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by bodejohn(m): 7:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Much as I would have loved to refrain from commenting on issues that bothers on politics especially from the presidency, I think the federal government is the one that is unnecessarily dragging this issue and also pretending to be a victim.

Mr President, the agreement that you are renegotiating was passed through your office as the vice president in 2009. It was even under the review of your office for more than 5 months, yet all the actors then are forming ignorance of the contents of the agreement.

If you must know, Mr President, the union is saying you cannot be trusted based on your words only, the union is only requiring a senior member of the cabinet to sign the new agreement so that if it is not implemented again, you or any other person in power in the next few years will not insult you and the people who sat for 13 hours to agree to the new deal.

Mr President, please do the needful.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by MaziOmenuko: 7:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
roland2rule: Why I am angry with ASUU –
Jonathan

1) Your anger isn't going to solve any problem!

roland2rule: The Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, had on Thursday directed the Academic Staff Union of Universities to call off its strike latest by December 4.

2) No be today dem don dey threaten ASUU! The military did worse! Nyesom wike has no moral grounds since his children are all schooling at Ghana.

roland2rule:
“Once I invite them, they respond and after the meeting they take decision and call off the strike.

3) Like they did in 2009! You expect to be dishing out April fool jokes all round the year! Once beaten, twice shy!

roland2rule:
“What was expected having met with the highest authority in the land for long hours was for ASUU to
immediately issue a statement within 12 or latest 24 hours to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not.

4) Sorry, but it took you 4 months + to realize you had to act: then you expect them to reach a resolution within 24 hours?

roland2rule: “So what else do they want?

4) They don't want verbal promises again! Bring together the stakeholders to sign the agreement! Simple!

roland2rule: “After that, they didn’t meet until one week,

5) Yea, one of your governors used their former president as a speed break! You're yet to send your condolence!

roland2rule: “Our children have been at home for over five months.”

6) Courtesy of your sluggishness and slothful approach to the matter.

roland2rule: “But like you rightly noted, so that we will not be perceived to be insensitive, we will consult on the deadline.”

7) If you like, put the army, police, airforce, customs and navy on campuses, no agreement, no lectures!

Case closed!

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by estyvino(m): 7:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
All is well that ends well
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
This speech lacks panacea and zing!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
lol
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
Anybody that take the word of this joker is seriously on a long Tin.
MR PRESIDENT DO THE NEEDFUL AND STOP THIS CHARADE. YOUR WORD IS NOT ENOUGH. PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL.
on another I dey laugh alameisa begging jona, corruption personified.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by GEJTILL2019(m): 7:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

2) No be today dem don dey threaten ASUU! The military did worse! Nyesom wike has no moral grounds since his children are all schooling at Ghana.

3) Like they did in 2009! You expect to be dishing out April fool jokes all round the year! Once beaten, twice shy!

4) Sorry, but it took you 4 months + to realize you had to act: then you expect them to reach a resolution within 24 hours?

4) They don't want verbal promises again! Bring together the stakeholders to sign the agreement! Simple!

5) Yea, one of your governors used their former president as a speed break! You're yet to send your condolence!

7) If you like, put the army, police, airforce, customs and navy on campuses, no agreement, no lectures!

Case closed!
mumu

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Hadone(m): 7:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Israelmossaic: 7:43pm On Nov 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
Tinubu online dogs reiterating the position of their master on this thread. We all know it is in the POLITICAL interest of Tinubu and Buhari for the strike to continue and for students to remain at home.

Anyway, I was just passing by but I decided to say hi!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu online dogs reiterating the position of their master on this thread. We all know it is in the POLITICAL interest of Tinubu and Buhari for the strike to continue and for students to remain at home.

Mr man shut up and stop this petty politics of yours. policitics and education don't go togeda
mumu.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by ubongutioh(m): 8:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Case closed!
I have finally discovered El Rufai on Nairaland after long search.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by bodejohn(m): 8:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu online dogs reiterating the position of their master on this thread. We all know it is in the POLITICAL interest of Tinubu and Buhari for the strike to continue and for students to remain at home.

It is because of people like you that I stopped commenting on political issues. Whether you like it or not the truth remains true, by the way, my position on this matter was the same as when Fashola also attempted to sack all the doctors in the employ of Lagos state government.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 30, 2013

Mr Reuben Abatti, how was your day?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 30, 2013
ubongutioh: I have finally discovered El Rufai on Nairaland after long search.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by omenka(m): 8:45pm On Nov 30, 2013
What is this man saying?? Who gives a fucck if it is the shortest or longest meeting you've had since you were born?? What is important is what was discussed and the agreement that was reached. So dont bore us with unnecesary renditions of how the union was given the previlege to sit with you over long hours. Tell nigerians why after arising from a meeting in which a resolution was reached, and the minutes of the meeting was duely captured and signed by both parties, sudenly becomes a sticking point overnight. You people go on air feeding nigerians with falsehood but some of us know better. You raise a memo which delibrately omitted salient features of the resolution yet you think you would bambozle the lecturers back to the classrooms using you attack dog Wike. Sometimes i realy dont even blame the govt, rather i blame ASUU for keeping mum and constantly puting themselves on the defensive. ASUU should write and publish the true position of thing and expose this vile govt for what it truely is. And why does this president keep sounding like a todler whenever he talks?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by MaziOmenuko: 8:48pm On Nov 30, 2013
ubongutioh: I have finally discovered El Rufai on Nairaland after long search.

You myopic lot fail to see beyond pdp/Acn scramble! Anything that doesn't breathe, talk and act PDP is ACN for you myopic lot! This is pathetic!

The truth has no political party. The truth stands; always!

Thou shall know the truth and the truth shall deliver you from myopicism!

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by MaziOmenuko: 8:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Hi!

Go and buy an Msc form; your boss wants to sack lecturers. You can help him out and fill some void.

When you round up your Msc and proceed to Phd, you will understand why you won't let a sitting govt play you around like GEJ is trying to do.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by means(m): 9:40pm On Nov 30, 2013
GEJ! Why are your speeches always incoherent? Talk like a President. U are not a houseboy. Ur minister made the position of govt known to ASUU thru the CoVs and u are here saying 'no ultimatum was given'. And u ended up contradicting ur own self by saying govt will look into the Dec 4 deadline because of Iyayi's burial. Always pressing the self~destruct button. Very Unpresidential.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by elrony(m): 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
This speech by Mr president is Damn too shallow!!! cheesy

He should be focused on thinking out best possible solutions to the problem at hand!!....

It all boils down to insincerity!!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by elrony(m): 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2013

Rancid foolishness !!!!...quit being blur-sighted!
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by obalolaunited(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2013
Am not in support of the FG nor ASUU but can we stop politicising everything that has to do with pdp/acn it's making nairaland loose it's value
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by citizenY(m): 10:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
This man again!!!!

There are situations where it is not necessary to talk and he flips his mouth, only to utter contradictions and his speeches are very uninspiring.

My president isnot a good public speaker and it is shameful that his advisers do not counsel him accordingly.

Remember his speech about not being a general? what is the difference now? Military style orders on unions

Maybe Wike is the general, abi?:
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by Caseless: 10:28pm On Nov 30, 2013
jonathan, ogogoro is bad for ur health !
Re: ASUU Strike: Why I Am Angry With Union – Jonathan by ik4life: 11:12pm On Nov 30, 2013
Is wike the spoke person of the committee of vice-chancellors?,why will it be him that will make such announcement if truly it was the vice-chancellors that made the decision?,lastly from that day till this friday all schools that announced resumption stated that it was in compliance with the directive of the federal government being represented by wike.so why is jonathan running away from the obvious?,he made a threat december 4 has not reached now he is singing another turn.I think one of the hobbies of jonathan is reverting himself.he was in government when the 2009 agreement was signed yet he claimed it was not implementable,he re-name unilag maulag he reversed to unilag,he was among the people that signed an agreement for power to be rotating between north and south,later he claimed he has no knowledge of the said agreement. Now it is that ASUU is going extreme next week he will denied he said such a thing.they said he has a drinking problem I saw it as an insult to the president of a country but now am having a rethink.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible For The Military To Take Over The Govt In Nigeria? / PDP Senators Move Against GEJ / DSS Invade APC Office In Ikeja, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.