Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,196 members, 7,860,295 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:04 AM

This Will Shock You. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Will Shock You. (1639 Views)

Saraki's CCT Trial: What Nigerians Are Saying Will Shock You / 20 Owners Of Richest Oil Blocks In Nigeria – Their Names Will Shock You. / We Will Shock APC In South West – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Will Shock You. by Symphony007: 12:31pm On Dec 01, 2013
90% OF NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW THEIR SENATOR, FEDERAL CONSTITUENCE AND REP, STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBER AND COUNCILLOR.
A survey carried out by my school has come up with some shocking statistic. The most shocking is virtually every nigerian do not know their federal and local constituency, they do not know their senators, representatives in the federal house, their representatives at the state house of assembly and the councillors representing their ward in the local government councils. This shocking statistic is among working adults. The statistics for teens and students is more alarming. If people do not know their representives, how did they vote for them? If virtually no nigeria has written a letter to the reps in abuja or attended in town hall meeting with them, does'nt that say something pathetic about political participation in this country? Is'nt the sky high political ignorance one of the reasons we corruption thrives and our representatives are not accountable to us? This is a national disgrace as the next generation are growing up politically ignorant as the current one. Looking back i still don't belive these statistic so i want to try it out here. Amongs you nairalanders who come to politics section and argue politics to the last drop of your blood. Answer the following questions.

1.What is your federal constituency?

2.Who is your representative in the federal house of representative?

3.Who is your senator?

4.what's your state constituency?

5.who is your representative in the state house of assembly?

6.what is your ward?

7.who is your councillor?

1 Like

Re: This Will Shock You. by karlmax2: 12:37pm On Dec 01, 2013
Symphony007: 90% OF NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW THEIR SENATOR, FEDERAL CONSTITUENCE AND REP, STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBER AND COUNCILLOR.
A survey carried out by my school has come up with some shocking statistic. The most shocking is virtually every nigerian do not know their federal and local constituency, they do not know their senators, representatives in the federal house, their representatives at the state house of assembly and the councillors representing their ward in the local government councils. This shocking statistic is among working adults. The statistics for teens and students is more alarming. If people do not know their representives, how did they vote for them? If virtually no nigeria has written a letter to the reps in abuja or attended in town hall meeting with them, does'nt that say something pathetic about political participation in this country? Is'nt the sky high political ignorance one of the reasons we corruption thrives and our representatives are not accountable to us? This is a national disgrace as the next generation are growing up politically ignorant as the current one. Looking back i still don't belive these statistic so i want to try it out here. Amongs you nairalanders who come to politics section and argue politics to the last drop of your blood. Answer the following questions.

1.What is your federal constituency?

2.Who is your representative in the federal house of representative?

3.Who is your senator?

4.what's your state constituency?

5.who is your representative in the state house of assembly?

6.what is your ward?

7.who is your councillor?
are u suprised all they know is the federal government. Some dont even know the functions of the STATES and LOCAL governments. If you think its a lie conduct a poll on that. they dont know all this thats why they think that all their basic needs should be provided by the FG.
Re: This Will Shock You. by Slizbeat(m): 12:37pm On Dec 01, 2013
I only know a few sha.

My senatorial district is Anambra central.

My Senator is Sen. Chris Ngige(R.I.P politically)

My ward is Awka-etiti ward 1

That's all I know.
Re: This Will Shock You. by homesteady(m): 1:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
Sorry I don't know! embarassed grin grin
Re: This Will Shock You. by majalisa(m): 1:35pm On Dec 01, 2013
homesteady: Sorry I don't know! embarassed grin grin
likewise me afterall dey neva do anything worth knowing
Re: This Will Shock You. by Manazz(m): 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2013
majalisa: likewise me afterall dey neva do anything worth knowing

Yes because they know the people have absoutely no idea what they are supposed to do, they basically are in the House or senate to serve their Political Parties not the people, well atleast most of them.
Re: This Will Shock You. by nduchucks: 1:53pm On Dec 01, 2013
@OP, I'm not shocked at all. what would have been shocking is if 5% of Nairalanders (the privileged Nigerians) can answer all those questions correctly.

This ignorance, along with tribalism, are what their leaders depend on, to continue to keep ra ping them and keep them in servitude.

1 Like

Re: This Will Shock You. by DaLover(m): 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2013
I wouldn't blame the average Nigerian for this....
That is why we are suggesting a total change in the structure of this country....
The current activities being carried by the federal govt is just too much...hence we all see them as heaven on earth...

Your ward, lga and to a lesser extent, are suppose to be the focus of your attention to meet your basic needs,
You should hold them accountable...they are actually the key drivers of the economy while the FG should be more into policy making

1 Like

Re: This Will Shock You. by Firefire(m): 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
All those elected political office holders has become incommunicado and immediately relocate once they enter office.
The one for my area, we they wait for him to appear again before 2015 election and seek our vote with sweet word.
Instant judgment awaits them.
We change from PDP to APC in my Senatorial district and nothing to show for it.
Re: This Will Shock You. by DerideGull(m): 2:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
ndu_chucks: @OP, I'm not shocked at all. what would have been shocking is if 5% of Nairalanders (the privileged Nigerians) can answer all those questions correctly.

This ignorance, along with tribalism, are what their leaders depend on, to continue to keep ra ping them and keep them in servitude.

My people say good product sells itself. Why should anybody who is working so hard to eke out a living spare a valuable time to think about a useless country and its political structure?
Re: This Will Shock You. by Symphony007: 2:24pm On Dec 01, 2013
I really appreciate your comments. Keep them coming...i'm really beginning to belive these statistic totally and it's scary. If people don't know their representatives on every level, how were they elected? Who elected them?
Re: This Will Shock You. by nduchucks: 2:31pm On Dec 01, 2013
DerideGull:

My people say good product sells itself. Why should anybody who is working so hard to eke out a living spare a valuable time to think about a useless country and its political structure?

Well, the "useless country and its political structure" remains as such because coward children like you abandon it and run away, instead of working hard to make it the Pride of Africa.
Re: This Will Shock You. by donphilopus: 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2013
I'd have listed all these people, but I won't do that. (Security Reason)
Re: This Will Shock You. by instinctg(m): 3:25pm On Dec 01, 2013
because they are not close to us, we careless about them
Re: This Will Shock You. by Dannylux: 3:28pm On Dec 01, 2013
what is the need? grin

Re: This Will Shock You. by russellino: 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
My Senator is Chris Ngige

Daz all!
Re: This Will Shock You. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
How do you expect people to know?

Where in Nigeria are these information freely available or easily accessible?

In true democratic countries majority of general public do not know their reps in parliament, despite the fact that would be getting letters on a regular basis informing the about candidates in their local area during the run up to elections.

so, no. it does not shock me that Nigerians could not answer those question.

What would shock me, would be if Nigerians knew the answers to those questions.
Re: This Will Shock You. by ifyalways(f): 5:26pm On Dec 01, 2013
Who really cares?Nothing shocking there jare.

Pesin never hustle for him daily bread finish na people wey dey Abuja dey gbadun their lives name i want remember? Unless theres something in it for me,I do not care for and about any Nigerian politician.

No apologies.
Re: This Will Shock You. by Symphony007: 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2013
ifyalways: Who really cares?Nothing shocking there jare.

Pesin never hustle for him daily bread finish na people wey dey Abuja dey gbadun their lives name i want remember? Unless theres something in it for me,I do not care for and about any Nigerian politician.

No apologies.
ma'am, it does'nt have to be like that. It is this i don't care attitude by nigerians that make them get away with all the ill they perpetuate. These people claim to represent you. They are given constituency allowance meant for you and you don't get a kobo. Yet you vote for them. Nobody cares so they have the freewill to cheat you. No nigeria writes letters to them, group of people from constituencies do not visit their representatives in abuja to demand actions of accountability. Nigerians do not know the divisions of government and who should be held accountable for what. Surely, political ignorance by nigerians go a long way to keep us the way we are. We are all passionate about the presidency. Jonathan must go, jonathan is our man, buhari can never be president, etc. Is that where government starts and stops? What about those closer to you? These are real problems.
Re: This Will Shock You. by Onlytruth(m): 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2013
The truth is that most Nigerians (about 99%) are apathetic to the Nigerian nation. Their interest in the nation has been steadilly eroding since Obasanjo showed up in 1999 and continued using the style of shoot at sight to quell dissent.

Today:
If you call for mass action AGAINST the government, nobody will show up.
If you call for mass action IN SUPPORT of the government, nobody will show up.

The military systematically destroyed all the mass movements that traditionally enlightened Nigerians on the affairs of the nation. I blame Obasanjo more because he should have ended all that in 1999; he didn't. He was even worse than the military.

The fact that most Nigerians don't know their reps and senators all originate from that apathy.

1 Like

Re: This Will Shock You. by Symphony007: 5:41pm On Dec 01, 2013
I have lived in countries where candidates for state assemblies, councillorships, congress,etc go house to house knocking on doors, shaking hands and soliciting your vote to get them elected. Once elected they visit home practically every weekend. Hold town hall meetings. They know their constituence by name. They know the farmilies and their problems. Constituence visit their reps, Write letters, make calls, demanding those they elected fight for things they want. And if that elected official drifts away from his constituence. If they just forgwt your name or see that you don't care about them, your political career is over.
Re: This Will Shock You. by Symphony007: 5:53pm On Dec 01, 2013
A presidential election can be rigged because it's nationwide and cuts across states. A gubernatorial election can be rigged because it's state wide and caught across LGA's. But how cannot rig an election within a constituence or ward in a community. It is too small a gathering for people to loose interest. If people vote according to credibility and make sure they monitor voting, results, the voters register are people you should know, they are your neighbours and folks you share a drink with so if and no stranger will dare come to your district to stuff ballots. With community organisation. You can lock down your constituency and make does who seek to represent you meet you on a one one one basis and appeal for your vote. And the day he ignores you, he is a goner. That is democracy and you can make it work in your area.
Re: This Will Shock You. by chymystique(f): 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2013
Symphony007: I have lived in countries where candidates for state assemblies, councillorships, congress,etc go house to house knocking on doors, shaking hands and soliciting your vote to get them elected. Once elected they visit home practically every weekend. Hold town hall meetings. They know their constituence by name. They know the farmilies and their problems. Constituence visit their reps, Write letters, make calls, demanding those they elected fight for things they want. And if that elected official drifts away from his constituence. If they just forgwt your name or see that you don't care about them, your political career is over.

Welcome to Nigeria OP...

Me dunnooo abt mine and ai dnt care either
Re: This Will Shock You. by redsun(m): 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2013
They don't need to know because the representatives are there for themselves and their cohorts.They are of no use the people.They rig themselves into offices by buying the same suffering people's votes with pittance and akara.And the people themselves cease to have any moral justification to ask the thieves to give account since they have been bought.
Re: This Will Shock You. by atlwireles: 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2013
OP why are you shocked. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

All Amaechi's Doctors Are Psychiatrists-austin Opara / SHOCKING! FG Restricts Movement Of Cooking Gas Cylinders In FCT. / Breaking News!!!enugu Coal City Shuttle Catches Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.