Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

How My Ex Died... A True Life Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How My Ex Died... A True Life Story (1691 Views)

My Days As An OAU Fresher - True Life Story / Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) / And So She Died: A New Life Begins For Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by nonsonnamani: 6:48am On Dec 02, 2013
The story you are about to read is inspired by real life events. A tribute to my ex, may her soul rest in peace. This is her story; the same way she would have written it and in her own words.

The story begins...

Hi. My name is Chinwe, I'm 21 and in three days time...I will be dead.

At least that's what the doctors say.

Alright; I will explain.

I have blood cancer; the monster normally comes in four stages - I'm presently in the last stage. Lol; don't worry praying for me - I won't survive it; Cancer doesn't have a cure...yet.
While I wait for death I decided to scribble my story on my old dirty diary; silly egg headed Czar, Lol; I know the sweet mumu will tell my story one day and I don't want him adding things that will embarrass me. So I have told him that whatever story he tells about me should come from my diary.
Alright enough of this long talk; let me begin my story.

I grew up in the slumps; like deep inside the slumps. You know, those kinda streets that had houses with windows that you can open to lend some other person in the next compound a packet of matches through his own window.
Between the windows ran an overflowing gutter that I had always suspected was linked to a 'suckerway' somewhere around.
Outside the windows my 'street guys', almost every evening, converge to smoke. So anytime we didn't have dinner we just had to make do with the think smell of indian hemp that filtered in through the window into our shabby one room apartment. The smell was so thick at times that I suspected we got as high as the guys smoking the real thing outside.

I'm talking too much story; back to me...

I remember the first time my blood cancer symptoms showed. I felt dizzy and got tired so often that my mum started looking at me suspiciously.
"I told you to stop seeing that Czar guy" she told me " if it turns out you are pregnant your father will have your neck".
Me - pregnant? I haven't even kissed the guy yet.
Alright, maybe twice...but there was no way I was pregnant. Not unless Angel Gabriel had showed up without me knowing. The thing was my mother had this phobia that I was going to get pregnant someday before I get married. She had every reason to be; our street was that 'babyish'. Like, tennagers getting pregnant two weeks after the first signs of developing boobs showed. Yeah, it was that bad. Sometimes I suspected that dropping a live cobra on my mother's laps will not cause as much hysteria as telling her I had been put in the family way. So when I saw my period that month, she heaved a sigh of relief and went to Ejiofor - the street's chemist who didn't even finish primary six and asked him to 'mix' some malaria drugs for me.
We all thought it was just malaria; till one day...

I collapsed...

The day I collapsed for the first time, my mum predictably rushed me to Ejiofor's shop. The chemist had a spare room behind his shop which doubled as both a consulting room and a ward, sort of.
Later I had been told he gave my unconscious body one long look and for once admitted the illness was above him. That scared the hell out of my mum; everyone knew how "brave" Ejiofor was around sick people - he rarely admitted anything was above him rather, he would always grab a syringe like some sort of ninja and pour in some liquid from the nearest bottle he could grab from the old rotting cupboard in the corner of his shop.
That evening, thanks to Papa Okey the cab driver who lived a compound away from ours, I was given a free ride to UNTH Enugu. The next morning I woke up to see my parents staring down at me with mournful looks like a judge had just announced I was going to be hanged.
Nothing ever rattled my father; so one look at his face and the first thought that came to my head was: What's that look for, who did a train run over?
What my mum did next was the most creepy thing I would ever witness in my life, lol, in my short life sha - I saw streams of tears run down her face and her shoulders shake with such uncontrollable emotions but still, no sound came from her.
You see, in my family, emotions embarrass the purgatory out of us - my mum could blush to the root of her hairs if anyone of us hugged her. Crying in front of me was a milestone you guys will never really understand.
Next, she threw the next shock wave - she hugged me. That was when I knew things were really serious.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
My mother looked at me; her eyes misting over and filled with a mixture of pity and heartache. She looked at my Father.
"Where are we going to get 10 million naira from?" She asked him.
"10 million, for what?" I asked, looking from my father to my mother and back to my Father.
Trust my father - Mr. Africa most blunt. He looked at me.
"You have to be flown abroad; you are dying. They say it's cancer. Blood cancer. The advanced stage. We hadn't noticed it on time".
There was pity in his eyes too but he was doing a good job hiding it.
At that moment, everything stopped then started spinning very fast.
I borrowed one of the nurses phone and called Czar at about 5pm that same day - cried for 1 hour 30 minutes with someone's airtime. I checked the time myself (Laffs). Czar just listened and I just cried - I had such huge dreams, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I wanted to take my parents away from the slumps. I had always been lost in thoughts sometimes, day dreaming how I was going to shock my parents into hugging me when I bought them a house.
Well, I got my wish - at least my mother had hugged me (Laffs). She had hugged me not because I had bought a house for her but because I was dying (Life can be ironical).

2 YEARS LATER.
CZAR's words...

Chinwe's last days would always be clear in my head; she died very painfully. I remember watching her gradual decline from a the very pretty girl I had fallen for to a frail skinny dying 21 year old. Her parents had never raised the money; they tried but they just couldn't raise it. I watched Chinwe, a day before she died, struggling for breath in a ward at UNTH. The management were getting irritated; it was either her parents fly her to india for treatment or took her home to die...They were that blunt.
That evening, a day before she died, I visited her at the hospital. She had looked at me then smiled weakly and threw one of her usual jokes.
"Czar darling". She told me. "No more boobs to stare at abi?".
My eyes misted.
"You know I have never stared at your boobs. Staring at your pretty face had never allowed me to take my gaze lower".
She laughed, her voice shaking from the effort.
"Yeah, Face watching is your hobby. Onye asi".
I went to her and held her hands.
Tears slowly started running down her face.
"I'm dying. You know, don't you?"
"You won't die". I told her. "You won't".
She smiled.
"Mr wash" she laughed weakly. "I will die, soon"
Tears ran down her face more as she continued...
"I want to die; my parents can't afford the chemotherapy and I'm being turn to pieces inside every single day. Each day I pray it would be my last day. I live in agony"...

I have to end the story here; sorry it is too abrupt. the memories are too painful. She gave me her dairy that day.

The next day she died...

RIP Chinwe Ewerobi... I don't really think any other girl can be like you to me - ever. Go well.

3 Likes

Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 02, 2013
Living is transient, Death is the only reality.
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by Paulipopor: 7:51am On Dec 02, 2013
May her soul continually RIP.

Somehow I still believe humans are not totally helpless.

@Op you should consider writing as a career...you're good!
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 02, 2013
Rip.chinwe. Am feeling like i've known you for long .already mising you.
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by henrimoto(m): 12:05am On Dec 03, 2013
Czar darling..... Please take heart. May God give you and chinwe's parents the fortitude to bear this great loss. Hmmnn..!
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by nonsonnamani: 5:47am On Dec 03, 2013
Thanks
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by jeriniblue(m): 11:40am On Dec 03, 2013
If u love her that much u kud probably live her dreamz 4her either by becoming a fashion designer or making any of her younger 1's a Fashion designer.....Aniwaiz, Take hrt Czar darling
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by shininglight: 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
Wow..... Am so sorry 4 ur loss. cry. Pls take @.
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by DEllaluv(f): 3:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
Quite painfulsad
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by EbongAbas(m): 4:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
Take heart.....may God be ur comforter always
Re: How My Ex Died... A True Life Story by missterious(f): 4:01am On Dec 04, 2013
cry
Take heart, OP
cry

(1) (Reply)

Odufa: A Lover's Tale | A Story By Ohmstonweth / Free Novels / Jailbird Readers, I Brought You Episode 71 To Episode 92 (Click And Enjoy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.