Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH (3929 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by JudeP(m): 2:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon and vic jay its rebutttal time already.just answer the questions directed at you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 07, 2013
ojoawo:

This statement clearly agrees to the fact that Amalgamation of Nigeria was an Historical Mistake. Which I believe nullifies your entire arguments

no it does not...i made clear that the amalgamation of Nigeria was borne out of Britain's political interest and is in no way A mistake.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:23pm On Dec 07, 2013
I do not know if I should wait until one of the questions is answered but here's another.

benmon:
It is only natural for humans to look after their interest;you don't blame Lugard and Britain for looking after their political cum economic interest,do you?

It is agreed hence, that the amalgamation of 1914 was borne out of selfish interests and not of the interests of the Nigerian people that suffer the consequences. It can only benefit the originator then.
I am however willing to understand how you say a move done out selfish interests is not a mistake.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 2:23pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
www.noi-polls.com/index.php?s_id=3&p_id=266&p_pt=1&parent=13
can u justify the action of Boko Haram?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by JudeP(m): 2:24pm On Dec 07, 2013
26 minutes left to the end of this phase.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:27pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
www.noi-polls.com/index.php?s_id=3&p_id=266&p_pt=1&parent=13

I just checked the source of your findings and it still left one question unanswered- how reliable is the findings? I see no iota of confidence in the poll just a theorized move to support the notion.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:34pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon: Until we learn to leave Lugard out of our problems,Nigeria will forever remain stagnant while other nations move ahead.Nations such as Belgium,Brazil,Canada,Denmark,Finland and even the United States were all amalgamated in their political history,yet you don't here them cry over the 'mistake' of amalgamation for their political woes or setbacks.

You clearly solicited for Nigeria to move past the mistake of amalgamation.
This again buttress my argument that you already conceded to the fact that Amalgamation was infact a mistake. I believe you have absolutely no basis for any of your arguments.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 2:36pm On Dec 07, 2013
I can't quote any1, don't knw what's wrong with my phone. Here is a question... If truly the north are in support of Amalgamated Nigeria, what is the meaning of the following statenent by a PDP chieftain - Boko Haram is fighting a just cause and are right to do so... Source: Punch newspaper
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
taiwoliu: can u justify the action of Boko Haram?
crime and terrorism is a global affair and is not peculiar to the Nigerian nation.Can you justify why Somalia where predominantly 85% of the entire population are ethnic Somalis are still daunted with civil war which began since 1991?
In 1980,Nnamdi Azikiwe posited that 'we must dig deep from our roots to discover the secret of successful co-existence.
Corroborating this fact,John N. Paden in book dedicated to the unity of Nigeria recounted the dialogue between Nnamdi Azikiwe and Ahmadu Bello which took place in the mid 1960s

AZIKIWE:Let's forget our differences........
BELLO:No,let us understand our differences......by understanding our differences,we can build unity in our country
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:

It is instructive to note that even in Somalia where predominantly 85% of the entire population are ethnic Somalis and have Somali as their official language are still ravaged with an ongoing civil war which began since 1991.What then could have gone wrong?

The somalian war is a total off track question in this case. The war started when military officers' plan of a coup failed and they got arrested. Some of the officers escaped and formed a coalition that then fought the government. That is the cause of the somali war and not the (in Vic-Jay's words) 'forceful bringing together of Desperate people'.

Source: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
Corroborating this fact,John N. Paden in book dedicated to the unity of Nigeria recounted the dialogue between Nnamdi Azikiwe and Ahmadu Bello which took place in the mid 1960s

BELLO:No,let us understand our differences......by understanding our differences,we can build unity in our country

Two National leaders couldn't even agree on the way forward from the glaring mistake of amalgamation. How then can we ever agree on anything at all? It is clear we are not meant to be, it just happened and we are suffering the consequences of the mistake
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
ojoawo: I do not know if I should wait until one of the questions is answered but here's another.

It is agreed hence, that the amalgamation of 1914 was borne out of selfish interests and not of the interests of the Nigerian people that suffer the consequences. It can only benefit the originator then.
I am however willing to understand how you say a move done out selfish interests is not a mistake.
the post above is bereft of logic and as such cannot hold water.The question to be asked now is,How has Nigeria managed her natural resources since independence?.The problem with Nigeria is honest and clarity of purpose......
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 2:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
crime and terrorism is a global affair and is not peculiar to the Nigerian nation.Can you justify why Somalia where predominantly 85% of the entire population are ethnic Somalis are still daunted with civil war which began since 1991?
In 1980,Nnamdi Azikiwe posited that 'we must dig deep from our roots to discover the secret of successful co-existence.

this does not justify the dreaded sect's actions and their claim for islamitising Nigeria. You are displaying ignorance of the sect's claaim and what the reason for their action is
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
ojoawo:

The somalian war is a total off track question in this case. The war started when military officers' plan of a coup failed and they got arrested. Some of the officers escaped and formed a coalition that then fought the government. That is the cause of the somali war and not the (in Vic-Jay's words) 'forceful bringing together of Desperate people'.

Source: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War
My friend,the basis of your arguement is that we are divergent people with various customs and shouldn't have been brought together in the first place.Why is there so much impunity amongst somalis even though they share the same norms and values?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by JudeP(m): 2:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
i believe the judges and members of the audience have questions for our debaters
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 2:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
My friend,the basis of your arguement is that we are divergent people with various customs and shouldn't have been brought together in the first place.Why is there so much impunity amongst somalis even though they share the same norms and values?
you are missing the point of the statement, somalia's war is not due to the difference but out of lust for power unlike the Nigerian issue
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 2:59pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
the post above is bereft of logic and as such cannot hold water.The question to be asked now is,How has Nigeria managed her natural resources since independence?.The problem with Nigeria is honest and clarity of purpose......
The argument is if Amalgamation was a mistake or not. I don't see any statement of yours that has justified your arguments. If you agree amalgamation was from selfish interests, how then do you justify that it was not a mistake?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by MaziOmenuko: 3:02pm On Dec 07, 2013
@Those against the amalgamation (ojoawo and Taiwo); from your submission, it is obvious that you are saying that people with varying customs, religion and believe cannot stay together as a country. What do you have to say about your opponents valid point that Somalia have almost homogeneous culture, religion and believe yet are torn apart by unending war?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:
@Those against the amalgamation (ojoawo and Taiwo); from your submission, it is obvious that you are saying that people with varying customs, religion and believe cannot stay together as a country. What do you have to say about your opponents valid point that Somalia have almost homogeneous culture, religion and believe yet are torn apart by unending war?
as rightly astated by my partner Ojoawo, you wold understand tjhat the Somalian war is not caused out of differences but out of greed for power by some military personnel.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by JudeP(m): 3:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 3:09pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

The problem of Nigeria and Somalia differ greatly.
Nigeria is being torn apart because we are forced to be together. Somalia on the other hand is been torn apart because of some people's lust for power. This is similar to the problem in most local government councils where there are problems of power which lead to more crisis despite the fact that they are fundamentally an extended family. The problem of somalia just got out of hand and the causes of the war has then being on Power. Family members also fight.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by MaziOmenuko: 3:11pm On Dec 07, 2013
taiwoliu: as rightly astated by my partner Ojoawo, you wold understand tjhat the Somalian war is not caused out of differences but out of greed for power by some military personnel.

Lovely! Then why is Nigeria's problem not traced to individual greed but to the 1914 amalgamation? Are you saying that we are all saints until the amalgamation changed us and turned us against another?

Would you relate this to other african countries like Ghana and kenya that are not of one religion and culture but are certainly doing a bit better than us?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by MaziOmenuko: 3:12pm On Dec 07, 2013
@bemon
benmon:
Without conceding to the fact that Nigeria's amalgamation was a mistake,you would agree with me however that mistakes are but a necessary part of the human nature.We all make mistakes but these mistakes only spur us into greater things and achievements.It is instructive to note that most life changing inventions such as the electric bulb,X-ray,Ink-jet printers were all borne out of human errors and mistakes..

If I'm to understand the bolded correctly, you're conceding to the fact that the amalgamation was indeed a mistake?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 07, 2013
taiwoliu: as rightly astated by my partner Ojoawo, you wold understand tjhat the Somalian war is not caused out of differences but out of greed for power by some military personnel.
Thank you for helping me make my point.We are in this present situation because of the greed of our past leaders and not necessarily because of our differences.China comes to mind,You would agree with me that there are more ethnic group in China than you have in Nigeria.Yet they do almost everything in unison......Need i inform you that they are the second biggest economy in the world?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 3:18pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Lovely! Then why is Nigeria's problem not traced to individual greed but to the 1914 amalgamation? Are you saying that we are all saints until the amalgamation changed us and turned us against another?

Would you relate this to other african countries like Ghana and kenya that are not of one religion and culture but are certainly doing a bit better than us?

Nigerian problem is definitely caused individual greed. But in this case, It is the greed of individual tribes and regions and not individual people. How on earth do you expect over 370+ unique tribes to act as one when they are all busy fighting for their individual interests?

Ghana has 10 tribes and Kenya still has less than Nigeria. I think I can be reasoned with that the problem of Nigeria is hence bigger than any comparisons you might draw up.
A nation of 15-30 tribes will definitely do as good as kenya and Ghana.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 3:20pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
Thank you for helping me make my point.We are in this present situation because of the greed of our past leaders and not necessarily because of our differences.China comes to mind,You would agree with me that there are more ethnic group in China than you have in Nigeria.Yet they do almost everything in unison......Need i inform you that they are the second biggest economy in the world?

China is not a nation ruled as a republic like Nigeria. China is a communist country and draws the head of the country from learned heads of regions. The heads rule their regions and meet at a round table. They basically rule their own small people individually.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: @bemon

If I'm to understand the bolded correctly, you're conceding to the fact that the amalgamation was indeed a mistake?
No i was only trying to make the point that assuming the supposed amalgamation was a 'mistake' should we as a nation rely on the euphoria that we can not build anything together but rather loot the coffers of the nation?.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

you are right to say Nigeria's problem is greed but I would point out that it's not an individual greed but tribal. A greed of 'my tribe must be the ruling tribe'. Have you forgotten the saga of succession that followed the death of President Yaradua? Or do u think APC will field an Ijaw man come 2015?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by taiwoliu(m): 3:35pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
in chinese tradition, the supreme leader seeks advice from regional rulers, though he makes the final decision. Hence, it is not like that of Nigeria
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 07, 2013
taiwoliu: you are right to say Nigeria's problem is greed but I would point out that it's not an individual greed but tribal. A greed of 'my tribe must be the ruling tribe'. Have you forgotten the saga of succession that followed the death of President Yaradua? Or do u think APC will field an Ijaw man come 2015?
Let me inform you that a Yoruba man(Festus Adedayo) was a top government official in Enugu under Nnamani. Joe Igbokwe is the General Manager of Lagos State Infrastructural Maintenance and Regulatory Agency(LASIMRA)..I am also very sure that you know that an igbo man is currently serving as a commissioner in Lagos state.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by ojoawo(m): 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
benmon:
Let me inform you that a Yoruba man(Festus Adedayo) was a top government official in Enugu under Nnamani. Joe Igbokwe is the General Manager of Lagos State Infrastructural Maintenance and Regulatory Agency(LASIMRA)..I am also very sure that you know that an igbo man is currently serving as a commissioner in Lagos state.

Great mentions you got. You only made mention of the highly tolerant yorubas and the igbo who only returned the favour. Can you please mention some northern officials accepted in the southern part or any southern individual elected in the north?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::WINNER:::LAUTECH by MaziOmenuko: 4:07pm On Dec 07, 2013
Special thanks to all participants.

Vicjay of NU university submitted just are paragraph. I'm sure something is wrong somewhere. I'm satisfied with the level of intelligence displayed by both parties.
However, those in support of the amalgamation failed to give us the benefits of the act (bemon tried to do so in one of his rebuttals but not in his main work). There are abundance benefits which would have made your work perfect; like the abundant manpower available from the various ethnicities, the economic boost coming from funds generated in tourism due to the various cultures and their cultural display; what of the area of sports where different tribes contribute immensely to the national team; what of the military where the doggedness of the hausa/fulani has made the Nigerian foot soldiers the best in Africa? So much more.

Your scores are being compiled right now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ksu Post Utme 2010/2011 / Prospective International Graduates For Robert Gordon University 2012/2013 / I Need A Detailed Explanation To This Funny But Real Logic Question.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.