Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,523 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event (909 Views)

Ambode Submits List Of 23 Commissioners, 13 Special Advisers To House For Screen / Cross Rivers Assembly Approves 35 Special Advisers For Gov. Ayade / Buhari Not Attending ChannelsTV Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 02, 2013
Imoke suspends 7 commissioners, 13 advisers for not attending HIV/AIDS event

December 2, 2013

LEGISREPORTS NG – Governor Liyel Imoke of Cross River has suspended 20 aides, among them seven commissioners and 13 special advisers, according a statement signed secretary to the state government, Mike Anniah.

The major reason given for their suspension was their non-attendance at a world HIV/AIDS event which included a four kilometre walk.

According to the statement the State Governor approved the suspension of the aides.

According to the statement the affected officials included the Commissioner for Justice, Mr Attah Ochinke; Commissioner for Finance, Etim Takis Caifas; Commissioner for Women, Mrs. Edak Iwuchukwu; and the Commissioner for Social Welfare, Mrs Patricia Endeley.

The Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Sandy Onor, Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr. James Aniyom and Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr Elemi Etowa, were also affected.

Others are the Special Adviser on Project Monitoring and Evaluation, Mr Eja Dons Eseghe; Special Adviser on Tourism, Mr Wilfred Usani, Special Adviser on Religious Affairs; Eyo Okpo Ene; Special Adviser on Special Duties; Mr. Fabian Okpa.

The Special Adviser Forestry and Biodiversity, Ntufam Gabe Odu-Oji; Special Adviser on Investment, Dr. Gerald Adah; Special Adviser, Political and Legislative Matters, Mr. Fred Osim; Special Adviser Legal, Mr Mark Obi, were also affected.

Others are Special Adviser, NGO, Mrs. Margaret Johnson Ebokpo, Special Adviser on ICT , Mr Odo Effiong; and Special Adviser on Mineral Resources; Mr Effiong Bassey.

Others are the Special Adviser Strategy and Planning, Prof. Idem Temple and Special Adviser on Debt Management, Mrs Francisca Nkoyo Effiong.

The announcement directed the affected cabinet members to hand over to their permanent secretaries or the most senior officers in their respective Ministries and Departments and agencies.

Source
Re: Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
Imoke suspends 20 exco members indefinitely

DECEMBER 2, 2013

Cross River State Governor Liyel Imoke on Monday sent 20 members of the state executive council on indefinite suspension for failing to participate in a four-kilometre road walk to mark world AIDS day.

This came just as some Christian women in the state protested against the celebration of the Calabar festival and Calabar Carnival on Sundays.

In a statement on Monday by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr. Mike Ania, the governor said the 20 cabinet members were suspended from office for failing to participate in the four-kilometre walk to mark the World Aids Day on Sunday.

The suspended cabinet members were ordered to hand over to their Permanent Secretaries immediately while they were told that they would not be paid during the suspension.
The suspended commissioners, according to the statement, are the Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Attah Ochinke; Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Etim Takis Kaifas; Commissioner for Social Welfare, Mrs. Edak Iwuchukwu; Commissioner for Women Affairs; Commissioner for Social Welfare, Mrs Patricia Enderly; Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Sandy Onor, and Commissioner for Agriculture Mr. James Aniyom;

Others are Special Adviser on Project Monitoring and Evaluation Mr. Eja Dons Eseghe; Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr Elemi Etowa ; Special Adviser on Tourism Wilfred Usani, Special Adviser on Religious Affairs; Eyo Okpo Ene; Special Adviser on Special Duties; Mr. Fabian Okpa.

The rest are Special Adviser Forestry and Biodiversity, Gabe Odu-Orji; Special Adviser on Investment Dr. Gerald Adah; Special Adviser on Political and Legislative Matters, Mr. Fred Osim; Special Adviser on Legal, Mr. Mark Obi; Special Adviser ,NGO, Mrs. Margaret Johnson Ebokpo, Special Adviser on ICT, Mr. Odo Effiong; Special Adviser on Mineral Resources; Mr Effiong Bassey; Special Adviser Strategy and Planning , Prof Idem Temple; Special Adviser on Debt Management and Fransica Nkoyo Effiong.

Source
Re: Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by biafranqueen: 8:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
They should be suspended. They would have showed up if it was a Christmas party with free drinks and the passing of Christmas bonus check.
Re: Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 02, 2013
I admire Imoke's commitment to raising awareness about HIV, but his action here does nothing to advance the cause of public administration.

The suspended cabinet members were ordered to hand over to their Permanent Secretaries immediately while they were told that they would not be paid during the suspension.

Come on now, when last did some of these commissioners cover 4km on foot?
Re: Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by biafranqueen: 9:07pm On Dec 02, 2013
eGuerrilla: I admire Imoke's commitment to raising awareness about HIV, but his action here does nothing to advance the cause of public administration.

Come on now, when last did some of these commissioners cover 4km on foot?

hahaha. They can try to walk! It is for a good cause and they probable need the exercise. I expect all my employees to show up at any fundraiser I am throwing. This is a tool to help build morale in the work place. When you go out of the norm to help other people, it shows that you have a good character. If they could not attend because of health concerns they should get a doctors note, not just show up.

I am sure that they have plenty of graduates waiting to take their place.
Re: Imoke Suspends 7 Commissioners, 13 Advisers For Not Attending HIV/AIDS Event by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 02, 2013
biafranqueen: hahaha. They can try to walk! It is for a good cause and they probable need the exercise. I expect all my employees to show up at any fundraiser I am throwing. This is a tool to help build morale in the work place. When you go out of the norm to help other people, it shows that you have a good character. If they could not attend because of health concerns they should get a doctors note, not just show up.

I am sure that they have plenty of graduates waiting to take their place.

I suppose if your fundraising activities forms part of your employees' job description, your expectations will be considered fair. Anything else is basically an imposition.

How many other similar functions require the attendance of his entire cabinet?
Would the President be operating in consonance with the expectations of the Nigerian public if he were to summon all his Ministers to partake in a similar event by fiat?

How does withholding the salaries of commissioners who failed to partake in this particular event increase public awareness about HIV?
Do you not see vestiges of a militarized society here?

(1) (Reply)

Summer 2014 Washington Fellowship For Young African Leaders / Dino Melaye's Wedding Photos/certificate::::::::::::: / Military Hunts Boko Haram After Daring Barracks Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.