Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,429 members, 7,861,196 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Is praying in tongues praying in a heavenly prayer language? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is praying in tongues praying in a heavenly prayer language? (486 Views)

Heavenly Reward Vs Earthly Reward: Hilarious Photo / He Is Praying 4 Dis Woman With His Hand In His Breast / Help! I Am Praying In A Language I Don't Understand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is praying in tongues praying in a heavenly prayer language? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
Pentecostals often talk about praying with the tongues of men and angels. Whenever someone suggests that speaking in tongues in their church meeting doesn’t appear to be any known human language, the retort will be “but it could be a heavenly language”. When asked what they mean by the expression “heavenly language”, they will maintain that is one of the languages that angels speak.

If I speak with the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging symbol (1 Cor. 13:1).

Since most Pentecostals and Charismatics think that angels are heavenly messengers sent by God they conclude that some speaking in tongues refers to speaking in a heavenly language, not known to mortals.

Speaking in tongues is a miraculous gift of the Holy Spirit in which a Christian speaks in either a human or heavenly language not known to the speaker but known by God. The one to whom God gives the gift on ‘interpretation’ is enabled by God to properly and accurately interpret the language spoken whether it is a human language or a heavenly language, so say Pentecostals and Charismatics.

The Greek word for angel or messenger is ‘angelos’. This word is used of both heavenly and earthly messengers. For example, John the Baptist is said to be a messenger of God. The noun ‘angelos’ is used.

As it is written in the prophet Isaiah “See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way; the voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his path straight’ “ . John the Baptizer appeared in the wilderness … (Mark 1:2-4)

John the Baptist was an earthly messenger of God, so why couldn’t the expression ‘the tongues of angels’ also refer to human languages? I suppose it is because Paul refers to the tongues of humans and of angels.

So this makes Charismatics think that we can speak in unknown heavenly languages. Paul used a conditional statement in 1 Corinthians 13 ‘IF I speak with the tongues of humans and of angels’. Nowhere does he say that we will speak in the languages of supposed angels as invisible entities from heaven who sometimes are said to manifest themselves in human form.

At Pentecost, human languages were said to have been spoken by the disciples who were baptized in the Holy Spirit. These languages were not known to those speaking them but some of those who heard them speaking recognized that they were speaking in their languages whereas others thought that they were drunk.

Is the modern ‘speaking in tongues’ that occurs in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches speaking in an earthly or heavenly language not known to the speakers?

Charamaunda de zooka to nabala de montrea de zeeka. Emba nabia to lobla nedee se wensa

Is this a heavenly or earthly language or did I just make it up? This nonsense is simply gibberish. Anyone in a Pentecostal or Charismatic church can ‘speak in tongues’ whether they are Christian or not and some can make it up and do it passably (unlike me). And anyone can ‘interpret’ or claim to ‘interpret’ this gibberish.

But such people are not speaking languages. The Greek word ‘glossa’ means language and not gibberish. I know of NO human being that can speak in a language that they do not know. If ‘tongues’ speakers CLAIM that they can, they are deluding themselves. Why is it that Pentecostals and Charismatics who go to the mission field learn the language and culture of the people to whom they are going? Why don’t they seek God for this miraculous gift and begin speaking to these people in ‘tongues’? BECAUSE IT’S ALL BOGUS.

http://theologyoflove./2013/11/16/is-praying-in-tongues-praying-in-a-heavenly-prayer-language/

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis Named Time's Person Of The Year / Funny Names Of Churches In Naija / The Light Of The World Ii - Winning Each Day Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.