Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record (13876 Views)

Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / How Is Nelson Mandela An Africa Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Fynestboi: 2:07pm On Dec 03, 2013
JOHANNESBURG - A film based on the life of Nelson Mandela, “Long Walk to Freedom”, has became South Africa’s all-time highest grossing picture after its opening last week, production company Videovision Entertainment said Tuesday.

The British-South African co-production, starring British actor Idris Elba as Mandela, has earned 4.4 million rand ($427,000, 315,000 euros) — shattering records previously held by blockbusters like “The Wolverine”, “Hangover 3″ and some locally produced films.

South African producer Anant Singh said he was “extremely pleased with the audience reaction” and the emotional response to the two-and-a half-hour movie.

Largely based on Mandela’s autobiography of the same title, “Long Walk to Freedom” traces the life of the revered leader from his childhood in the rural Eastern Cape, through his anti-apartheid activism and decades of incarceration, to his election as the country’s first black president in 1994.

The film opened in the United States on November 29, earning an average of $25,076 per screen, according to producers. It is seen as an Oscar contender, with Elba’s performance in particular worthy of a best acting nomination.

Mandela, 95, is currently under medical care at his Johannesburg home after spending nearly three months in hospital with a lung infection earlier this year.

His condition has been described as critical but stable.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/mandela-movie-smashes-s-africa-box-office-record/
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Samoranopapa(m): 10:56pm On Dec 03, 2013
Pls where can I download dis film cos have been finding it

1 Like

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
And I used to think movies gross more in south Africa undecided

There's almost no difference between the highest movie in Nigeria with few cinemas and South Africa with many of cinemas.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by prof800(m): 8:53am On Dec 04, 2013
speedyboi: And I used to think movies gross more in south Africa undecided

There's almost no difference between the highest movie in Nigeria with few cinemas and South Africa with many of cinemas.
Bros...consider Nigeria's population na..

3 Likes

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
prof800:
Bros...consider Nigeria's population na..

That would've been a good point if we have cinemas across Nigeria!

South Africa has cinemas spread across the country! Nigeria on the other hand has few cinemas limited to few cities (not even upto 1/10th of the total number of cities we have in Nigeria). So technically, the total population of South Africans who have access to the cinemas is more than total population of Nigerians who have access to the cinemas.

I know south Africans also have problems of cultivating cinema culture. But it's worse than I thought.
I hope by the time we have more than enough cinemas in the country we would be grossing Millions and leave 400,000 group

5 Likes

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 04, 2013
The biggest cinema chain in South Africa has 600 screens while the biggest Cinema chain in whole 'West Africa' has 50 screens! see gap! So it's ridiculous for the highest South Africa's box office to equate Nigeria's embarassed embarassed embarassed Very ridiculous!

1 Like

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by RSAMAN(m): 1:51am On Dec 05, 2013
speedyboi: The biggest cinema chain in South Africa has 600 screens while the biggest Cinema chain in whole 'West Africa' has 50 screens! see gap! So it's ridiculous for the highest South Africa's box office to equate Nigeria's embarassed embarassed embarassed Very ridiculous!

it ain't ridiculous; i wouldn't fork out my hard earned R15 for a shtty movie like avatar.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 3:38am On Dec 05, 2013
speedyboi: And I used to think movies gross more in south Africa undecided

I beg, let us know where you are getting your figures from. I've not yet found a film that made more money in Nigeria.

Man Of Steel
Nigeria - $172,276
S.Africa - $1,873,658

Gravity
Nigeria - $18,411
S.Africa - $811,412

Fast & Furious 6
Nigeria - $187,041
S.Africa - $3,780,718

World War Z
Nigeria - $98,446
S.Africa - $1,077,737

Pacific Rim
Nigeria - $14,699
S.Africa - $574,691

Star Trek Into The Darkness

Nigeria - $23,490
S.Africa - $549,319

White House Down
Nigeria - $389,783
S.Africa - $1,195,576

Let's even add in a Tyler Perry film
Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
Nigeria - $110,054
S.Africa - $1,026,344

Film after film, year after year the figures have a massive difference.

Look at a stat you quoted, "A single cinema chain in SA has 600 screens; the WHOLE of West Africa has about 50". (The only figure I've found states SA has 700 screens - http://nfvf.co.za/policy-research/faqs ) So it is just mathematically impossible that a film released in both countries will make more money in Nigeria. We simply lack the infrastructure to make that sort of money (in the same time frame). Maybe Nollywood films that will tour world cinemas for 2 yrs plus.

PS - Though I do doubt the West Africa figure of 50. Even Naija get more screens than that (Wiki sef dashes us at least 100)

3 Likes

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by prof800(m): 3:57am On Dec 05, 2013
VillageBoi:

PS - Though I do doubt the West Africa figure of 50. Even Naija get more screens than that (Wiki sef dashes us at least 100)
Ha ha...wiki can lie ooo!
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 4:18am On Dec 05, 2013
prof800:
Ha ha...wiki can lie ooo!

We get at least 20 hahahahaha.

Anyone quoting Wiki does it as a joke nah. I dunno about Naija but for my Uni here if you even crazed for some reason and used Wiki as a ref na fail be that.

But seriously Prof... how is Naija making more box office coins than SA? Because I'm konfoosed here o!
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by prof800(m): 4:22am On Dec 05, 2013
Omo mehn...I just checked now.
SA nor be naija mate when it comes to box office grossing ooo!
Chai!
This OP Sef where did you get such 'lie lie' news from na...?
Mandela movie has made $436,076 while Wolverine already has $1,280,590 in all regions in South Africa.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 4:27am On Dec 05, 2013
prof800: Omo mehn...I just checked now.
SA nor be naija mate when it comes to box office grossing ooo!
Chai!
This OP Sef where did you get such 'lie lie' news from na...?
Mandela movie has made $436,076 while Wolverine already has $1,280,590 in all regions in South Africa.

Hang on... you've confused me even more. Wetin OP do? Na my main broda SpeedyBoi I dey ask how we're making more than SA. lololol

EDIT -

Oh you mean this? Na typo him make... joining dollas & Euros like say na ONE figure.
Fynestboi:
The British-South African co-production, starring British actor Idris Elba as Mandela, has earned 4.4 million rand ($427,000, 315,000 euros)
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 4:31am On Dec 05, 2013
prof800: in all regions in South Africa.

When the say 'all regions' do they mean black regions and white regions? lol
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by prof800(m): 4:32am On Dec 05, 2013
Compare this:
www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/nigeria/yearly/
With this:
www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/southafrica/yearly/
The difference is clear!
I am so sad for Nigeria. So sad. Everything just lacks organization, planning and management.
There is little turn up for now.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 4:49am On Dec 05, 2013
^ ^ ^
Thank you for an even easier way to check.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 05, 2013
VillageBoi:

I beg, let us know where you are getting your figures from. I've not yet found a film that made more money in Nigeria.

Man Of Steel
Nigeria - $172,276
S.Africa - $1,873,658

Gravity
Nigeria - $18,411
S.Africa - $811,412

Fast & Furious 6
Nigeria - $187,041
S.Africa - $3,780,718

World War Z
Nigeria - $98,446
S.Africa - $1,077,737

Pacific Rim
Nigeria - $14,699
S.Africa - $574,691

Star Trek Into The Darkness

Nigeria - $23,490
S.Africa - $549,319

White House Down
Nigeria - $389,783
S.Africa - $1,195,576

Let's even add in a Tyler Perry film
Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
Nigeria - $110,054
S.Africa - $1,026,344

Film after film, year after year the figures have a massive difference.

Look at a stat you quoted, "A single cinema chain in SA has 600 screens; the WHOLE of West Africa has about 50". (The only figure I've found states SA has 700 screens - http://nfvf.co.za/policy-research/faqs ) So it is just mathematically impossible that a film released in both countries will make more money in Nigeria. We simply lack the infrastructure to make that sort of money (in the same time frame). Maybe Nollywood films that will tour world cinemas for 2 yrs plus.

Thank you jare. That makes this thread false then! Saying a movie that grossed 400,000+ smashed box office. I was gonna search more about it anyway. But I was surprised! Thanks for clarifying it.

About cinema screens....I wasn't referring to the total number of screens in the countries/regions......I only pointed out the total number of screens the largest cinema chain (Star Kineko or so) in south africa has and the total number of screens the largest cinema in west africa (silverbird) has.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 05, 2013
This thread is the cause of confusion! I should have searched first. I knew from start that South Africa's box office is doing well than Nigeria's. But I haven't really searched much about it! And then this thread came with it's half baked story. Knowing for a fact that Nigeria's box office grosses around 400,000 was like a disappointment on South Africa's side. Why didn't I even bother to confirm? embarassed embarassed embarassed. I would've found out later that this thread is a sham anyway....and I just did grin grin grin
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2013
^ ^ ^
Ahhhhhhhhhh. Now I get the main bit of confusion.

I think the records broken for the Mandela film are for the opening weekend/first week takings or something like that... not for the whole final gross of the film (ever!). Yeah the article the OP posted isn't as clear as could have been.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
^^^^mtchew...then the topic and the article as a whole is misleading
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by VillageBoi(m): 11:52pm On Dec 05, 2013
^ ^ ^
Yup cos he should have titled it 'Breaks opening weekend box office'.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by RSAMAN(m): 10:25am On Dec 06, 2013
R.I.P Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela 1918 - 2013
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by RSAMAN(m): 11:02am On Dec 06, 2013
VillageBoi: ^ ^ ^
Yup cos he should have titled it 'Breaks opening weekend box office'.

he did mention that in the body. No need to be in the title.

1 Like

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 06, 2013
Sorry to digress but i believe that Madiba was dead long ago. His death coincides with the release of the movie perhaps to garner box-office success?
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by deeoneX(m): 4:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Reserved
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by martronilla: 4:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Hurray!
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by adebayogates(m): 4:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
whether SA makes more cinema profit to Nigeria is not doubtful but it sure is true that most Nigerians have watched the so called movies many more times than the SA's...we do the downloads and watch,we have no screens but we improvise by sticking to our internet...
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by solasalako(m): 4:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
grin[color=#000099][/color]
when will the Abacha version be released?

1 Like

Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 06, 2013
What do expect from a life well spent
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by mazizitonene(m): 4:37pm On Dec 06, 2013
Greatness
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by adebayogates(m): 4:38pm On Dec 06, 2013
jimie: Sorry to digress but i believe that Madiba was dead long ago. His death coincides with the release of the movie perhaps to garner box-office success?
first thing first,F.O.E
but some expressions are better left unsaid..
If you think he died long ago,then i should put to your notice that the movie has been released almost two weeks now.

And boosting a movie with such news, haba...you actually don't have the slightest idea of who Madiba is or what his status portrays.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by Clemzy16(m): 4:39pm On Dec 06, 2013
I saw the trailer of the movie on CNN, and i'll like to see the movie.
Re: Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record by chykmoni(m): 4:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
Heaven itself will be confused because a great leader has arrived!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US House Passes $13Bn Ukrainian Aid Bill; Outrage At Bombing Of Mariupol / Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In / Tinubu To Mali, B'Faso, Niger: Re-consider Your Decision, ECOWAS not your enemy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.