Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In (13945 Views)

New York City Passes Bill Outlawing Discrimination Against Fat People / Nathylin Flowers Adesegun: New York City Mayor Slammed For Being Rude To Lady / Oklahoma City Mayor Demands Same Rights For Paedophiles As Gays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by 9Ebiscoo: 6:17am On Sep 15, 2018
Michael Bloomberg appears to be focusing on 2020.

The former New York City mayor, best known for his liberal-Republican-turned-Independent stance, is reportedly planning to run for president in the next election.

Bloomberg, who also considered Independent runs for office in 2008, 2012, and 2016, will run as a Democrat in 2020 and challenge Donald Trump, The Times of London reports.

A source close to the British publication confirmed that the 76-year-old billionaire is allegedly making a run for the White House.

“Mike Bloomberg told me he is going to run in 2020,” the source told the newspaper. “He has the money to see it through while other candidates knock themselves out.”

Representatives for Michael Bloomberg did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

In a separate report by The New York Post, Bloomberg announced in June during a fundraiser that he would be returning to this polls, but this time, for the Oval Office.

“Before you leave I want to get your cell phone number,” he told attendees at the end of his speech, “because I’m thinking of getting the band back together.” His comment was well-received, reports the publication, as the audience applauded for the man who they believed was expressing interest in a presidential run.

In 2016, Bloomberg announced on his website that he would not move forward with his run for the presidency, claiming that “an independent candidacy would split the Electoral College and allow Congress to elect an extremist.”
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Added the three-term mayor: “When I look at the data, it’s clear to me that if I entered the race, I could not win. I believe I could win a number of diverse states — but not enough to win the 270 Electoral College votes necessary to win the presidency.”

Following the announcement, Bloomberg remained closely tied to the election and showed support for Hillary Clinton during her campaign. At the Democratic convention in July 2016, Bloomberg poked fun at Trump’s The Apprentice background, claiming that this was “not reality television; it was reality,” The New York Post reported.

He went on to refer to President Trump as “a dangerous demagogue” and a “risky, reckless, and radical choice,” advising the audience to vote Clinton who he claimed was a “sane competent person with international experience.”

Although Bloomberg has vocally disagreed with the current president, a representative from Trump’s team reportedly admitted to the New York-based publication in August that the former mayor would pose the biggest threat for a re-election.

“If I were a Democrat strategist and somebody said to me, ‘Who do you want to be the Democrat nominee for president of the United States?’ there’s only one name I would choose and his name is Michael Bloomberg,” former Trump adviser Corey Lewandowski said.

“Mike Bloomberg created tens of thousands of jobs over the course of his lifetime,” he continued. “That is a story the American people like and he’s an outsider. I think it would be a very competitive race.”

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/09/former-new-york-city-mayor-michael.html

3 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Tomibyte(m): 6:22am On Sep 15, 2018
Anyone dat disagrees with trump is d right person to me

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:32am On Sep 15, 2018
For ya mind, abi, Oga Blomberg?

"If Trump can, I can!"

Issokay!

I just hope this man will be able to keep a straight face like Trump did when his "dirty little secrets" are exposed and his chickens come home to roost.

This one with his nose up in the air, looks like a proud man to me.

Meanwhile, if Nigeria wasn't so messed up, shouldn't a glaringly progressive globalist like Otedola be running for President instead of Lagos State Governor?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by tamonokare: 6:33am On Sep 15, 2018
E no possible for my country. Common local government chairman. Former for that matter.

2 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by mknigeriagreat: 6:33am On Sep 15, 2018
Old minds. In all honesty, these old minds are in many ways better than most young ones. For those making all the noise about the French president I will say he was kind of lucky to have inherited a very healthy and structured economy/government. There are processes and procedures in most of these countries they have enjoyed as far back as the 18's. I doubt if must of them can withstand and revive crumbling economies in moat African countries. I might be wrong though.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by tunwumi: 6:33am On Sep 15, 2018
Let him run if he think he can beat twitter President with the baddest mouth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by maestroferdi: 6:34am On Sep 15, 2018
Nothing for Trump-hating Bloomberg...
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 15, 2018
So its not only here in 9ja we have politicians thats run? Never knew.they run too im the states. You can continue running and never stop
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Tmonex: 6:35am On Sep 15, 2018
Good luck to him
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by johnjay4u2u(m): 6:36am On Sep 15, 2018
Old men everywhere

1 Like

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:36am On Sep 15, 2018
Era of the billionaire president
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by valx2: 6:38am On Sep 15, 2018
The mans too old joor
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 15, 2018
undecidedundecidedundecided sai baba till 2023

1 Like

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by brixton: 6:39am On Sep 15, 2018
It would be hard to unseat Donie coz uneducated rural Americans are completely wth him

3 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by tolexy007(m): 6:40am On Sep 15, 2018
Trump 2020

3 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by BadiratT: 6:40am On Sep 15, 2018
Good luck
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by obaataaokpaewu: 6:40am On Sep 15, 2018
He's an outsider. Una wan start the outsider, a member of the establishment that brought Trump upon you guys again? grin

2 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by ednut1(m): 6:41am On Sep 15, 2018
No vacancy in aso rock. Trump for ever

2 Likes

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by pawesome(m): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2018
That's where you find real politicians.... Not hia that we have bunch of mofos
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by pawesome(m): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2018
ednut1:
No vacancy in aso rock. Trump for ever
you say!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Ayoswit(f): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2018
K
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by martineverest(m): 6:44am On Sep 15, 2018
I thought nairaland is majorly about Nigerian issue

1 Like

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by mknigeriagreat: 6:44am On Sep 15, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

"If Trump can, I can!"

Issokay!

I just hope this man will be able to keep a straight face like Trump did when his "dirty little secrets" are exposed and his chickens come home to roost.

Meanwhile, if Nigeria wasn't so messed up, shouldn't a glaringly progressive globalist like Otedola be running for President instead of Lagos State Governor?

Most times being a billionaire doesn't mean you will be able to manage a country's economy. Trump inherited a very healthy economy unlike the recessions the likes of Obama fought for years combined with terrorism. If you know the magnitude of loans and debts on the neck of the likes of otedola. Speaking with a friend in cbn he was telling him funds meant for low scale businesses and entrepreneurs are collectively diverted into the accounts of these billionaires and mega companies. Some of them had a privilege to funds to start huge businesses unlike most Nigerians. Trump will tell you my father gave me a little start up loan of 1million dollars. Its worth over 1billion dollars in today's value.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Smarkie: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2018
a 76 year old man?. maybe they want to catch a glimpse of what we are experiencing here
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 15, 2018
Bloomberg is 76 and Trump is 72. Meanwhile somewhere in West Africa, there is a country that believes that the age of its leaders are its problem.

A fair point but considering the codeine and tramadol laced youth who go to Asia to deal drugs, Europe to scam foreigners, sit back in the country to kill their siblings for rituals and scam more foreigners, sell their bodies to any man willing to pay the right price, carry weapons and fight themselves during elections and as cultists or sit all day on social media to post so much hate and bigotry, I fear what these young ones will do to the country.

The fact that many of them are now picking nomination forms for election to political office is scary. Their antecedents show that the future is bleak for the country.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Doerstech(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2018
Another Trump
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by SarakiBukola: 6:49am On Sep 15, 2018
Bloomberg is a super rich guy. Very interesting profile.

Ruthless man.... he told a woman who was pregnant for him to " get rid of the bastard, i don't care" shocked

He's a great success in business

1 Like

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by Mankosi: 6:51am On Sep 15, 2018
If it were to be in nigeria now the youths will start shouting that the man is old. Just look at him 76yrs and he still planning to run by 2020 when he will be 78yrs.
I thought we usually use America as an example now what do we have to say about this?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by anigold(m): 6:52am On Sep 15, 2018
9Ebiscoo:
Michael Bloomberg appears to be focusing on 2020.

The former New York City mayor, best known for his liberal-Republican-turned-Independent stance, is reportedly planning to run for president in the next election.

Bloomberg, who also considered Independent runs for office in 2008, 2012, and 2016, will run as a Democrat in 2020 and challenge Donald Trump, The Times of London reports.

A source close to the British publication confirmed that the 76-year-old billionaire is allegedly making a run for the White House.

“Mike Bloomberg told me he is going to run in 2020,” the source told the newspaper. “He has the money to see it through while other candidates knock themselves out.”

Representatives for Michael Bloomberg did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

In a separate report by The New York Post, Bloomberg announced in June during a fundraiser that he would be returning to this polls, but this time, for the Oval Office.

“Before you leave I want to get your cell phone number,” he told attendees at the end of his speech, “because I’m thinking of getting the band back together.” His comment was well-received, reports the publication, as the audience applauded for the man who they believed was expressing interest in a presidential run.

In 2016, Bloomberg announced on his website that he would not move forward with his run for the presidency, claiming that “an independent candidacy would split the Electoral College and allow Congress to elect an extremist.”
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Added the three-term mayor: “When I look at the data, it’s clear to me that if I entered the race, I could not win. I believe I could win a number of diverse states — but not enough to win the 270 Electoral College votes necessary to win the presidency.”

Following the announcement, Bloomberg remained closely tied to the election and showed support for Hillary Clinton during her campaign. At the Democratic convention in July 2016, Bloomberg poked fun at Trump’s The Apprentice background, claiming that this was “not reality television; it was reality,” The New York Post reported.

He went on to refer to President Trump as “a dangerous demagogue” and a “risky, reckless, and radical choice,” advising the audience to vote Clinton who he claimed was a “sane competent person with international experience.”

Although Bloomberg has vocally disagreed with the current president, a representative from Trump’s team reportedly admitted to the New York-based publication in August that the former mayor would pose the biggest threat for a re-election.

“If I were a Democrat strategist and somebody said to me, ‘Who do you want to be the Democrat nominee for president of the United States?’ there’s only one name I would choose and his name is Michael Bloomberg,” former Trump adviser Corey Lewandowski said.

“Mike Bloomberg created tens of thousands of jobs over the course of his lifetime,” he continued. “That is a story the American people like and he’s an outsider. I think it would be a very competitive race.”

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/09/former-new-york-city-mayor-michael.html
I hope when his secrets are exposed he will be able to handle it like trump is doing..lol
Re: Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Considering A Run For President In by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:55am On Sep 15, 2018
Jeezuzpick:

"If Trump can, I can!"

Issokay!

Not one point in your post makes any sense

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu To Mali, B'Faso, Niger: Re-consider Your Decision, ECOWAS not your enemy / Xenophobia - South Africa . What Your Opinion / Akufo-addo Sworn In As President Of Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.