Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,023 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) (8856 Views)

LPG CARS AND REFILL STATIONS / How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? / Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:17pm On Dec 03, 2013
I finally got to do this important DIY on my car (2003 Honda Accord, 2.4L 4cyl LX)
Of note is the fact that I was switching from the old green Honda coolant to the new All Season LongLife Coolant Type 2 from Honda which is blue in colour.

Do note that coolant is very poisonous, so do not leave any spills on the ground especially if you have pets. Also do not also discard the used fluid into water drains and for sure keep it away from kids.

Stay tuned...

1 Like

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
So here are all the tools and materials for the job...I forgot snapping the size 10 spanner which I had to use undecided

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:24pm On Dec 03, 2013
Personally, I like using the rubber gloves...makes me feel like a pro grin. Although I still dey learn sha.
I would also recommend the Haynes Repair manual. It does come in handy
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:25pm On Dec 03, 2013
Tip: You do not need to go under the car to perform this. It can all be done from the front of the car. Now, lets get to work!!!
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:28pm On Dec 03, 2013
So here a pic of the engine...don't tell me...it needs a wash grin.

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
Set the AC temp knob to hottest. Locate the coolant drain plug and place a container under it. To locate just look straight down at the back of your radiator. The plug is indicated with the orange arrow

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by sholarb(m): 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
Gr8! Bros, where did you get the type 2 coolant from? I have been searching for it in Lagos for a while.
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:39pm On Dec 03, 2013
You may need to use a set of pliers to slacken the drain plug. I was not able to slacken mine by hand, had to use my pliers and then finished off by hand

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 3:43pm On Dec 03, 2013
Once you've removed the plug, remove the radiator cap and allow the coolant to drain. The pic below was what mine looked like...Had never drained the system since the car was bought 2009. I am wiser now, will do this every 2 years as recommended.

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
sholarb: Gr8! Bros, where did you get the type 2 coolant from? I have been searching for it in Lagos for a while.

I got it from Jand o after looking tirelessly with no result in Owerri, Enugu and through contacts; Lagos. I believe it should be stocked in Lagos, just keep searching, also see if Luvinhubby can supply it.
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 4:26pm On Dec 03, 2013
Flushing: When the coolant has drained, replace the drain plug. Fill the radiator with clean water up to the neck. Set the temperature control on highest heat. Note that the radiator may take sometime to get full, be patient.
Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
Rev the engine a couple of times, then turn off, allow the radiator cool to touch then drain. Repeat this as long as the effluent has contaminants.
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 4:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
Note that for flushing some schools of thought will say that when you turn on the car you should leave it on until the radiator fan comes on twice

1 Like

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 5:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
Loosen the nut holding the coolant reservoir tank. Pour away and rinse in water. Reinstall.

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 5:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
Refill: Fill the radiator with new coolant up to the base of the filler neck (just beneath the bleeder hole).

Fill the reserve tank to the MAX mark. Install the reserve tank cap. Install the radiator cap, and tighten it to the first stop.

Start the engine and hold it at 1,500 rpm until the cooling fan comes on. Turn off the engine. Check the coolant level in the radiator and add coolant if needed.

Install the radiator cap, and tighten it fully. If necessary, fill the reserve tank to the MAX mark. Install the reserve tank cap.

Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
Sources: Haynes manual, Car Owners manual and Google
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 5:23pm On Dec 03, 2013
Throughout doing this I had my eye on the temp gauge and would advise all who would do a refill to also do the same. On one of the flushing cycles, I caught the temp gauge rising above normal. Reason: I didn't fill with enough water...impatience.
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Marpol: 11:54am On Dec 04, 2013
Please where did you get your Haynes repair manual to buy?
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 5:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
Marpol: Please where did you get your Haynes repair manual to buy?

Got it from Amazon website
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Piyke: 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2013

Got it from Amazon
Re: Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) by Cyberknight: 9:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-Accord-Automotive-Repair-Manual/dp/1563929899/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386188032&sr=1-1&keywords=hAynes+repair+manual+honda+accord+2003

They ship to Nigeria direct,usually another 8 quid or so for postage. I got my Toyota Camry repair manual from them too.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz 190E: Before And After Photos. / Lagos State Government To Employ 1,000 Graduates As Bus Conductors / How Do I Get The 4 Digit Code That Came With My Peugeot 406..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.