Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,138 members, 7,835,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon (54510 Views)

Check Out Pastor Chris Okotie's Fleet Of Cars (Photos) / An Experience At Pastor Chris Okotie’s Church In Lagos / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dragnet: 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
clans:
first of all, no catholic bows down to Mary quote me, what we do is call genuflecting the same you do to your obas and you chiefs and even the average elderly Yoruba man or woman you see on the street. as for Mary being the way the truth and the life you said so yourself NO catholic has ever said that, because we are sinners and have [b]fallen short of the glory of God we go through his mother [/b]to INTERCEDE for us on our behalf. Mary was specially conceived without original sin you and i was born with, she was specially designed as the vessel to bring the savior into this world, as for the name Mary, you are right it could as well be Martha or even chrissy3, but it wasn't . and if you say she was just a human, y weren't YOU chosen to bring the savior into the world. i beg of you change you ideology about all this things. ignorance is bliss they say but it is stupid when you base your arguments on them.. have a nice day smiley
when some people's God still has a mother....
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dragnet: 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
kiss
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by fuelsaver: 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
Umeadi09:

catholics don't worship mary, point of correction

They hail Mary and bow to her image asking her to pray for them. This errornous doctrine is never from the Holy Bible but traditions of men who are anti Christ. Hailing Mary rather than Jesus Christ who brought salvation to mankind.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by kallat: 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2013
fabulousdame: i wud advise all catholics to stop arguing wit these people before they cause u to commit sin against the holy spirit..as for those saying catholics worship mary, i expect to hear dat from five yr olds not adults...
honour is dif from worship, we genuflet and all that buh we honour our parents, elders en leaders the same way...
sacred heart of Jesus-have mercy on us
immaculate hrt of mary-pray for us.
do u see the diff?
mother mary intercedes for us.
even our mothers at home do the same for us.
so pls believe watever u want buh do not criticize or condemn the church of God.
peace be wit y'all

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

1 Like

Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by martcarl(m): 7:10pm On Dec 04, 2013
I AM PROUD TO BE A CATHOLIC
If u bliv there is Eternal Kingdom, do whateva u think can let u make it.
Stop judging people and how are u sure u ar nt bein misled by ur so calld pastors.
Never criticize any denomination cos we bliv we all serve d same God. Dt is wat u wil never see among d Muslim brethren cos dey are always united.
So, dear christians, learn to b united and stop makin religion a political ground or business ground where you advertize ur products in detriment of other denomination.
Catholic will neva drag members wit u.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dejilg(m): 7:10pm On Dec 04, 2013
gratieao:
Like all Christians, Catholics believe in life after death. Those who have lived good lives and died in the faith of Christ will, as the Bible tells us, share in his resurrection. While we live together on earth as Christians, we are in communion, or unity, with one another. But that communion doesn’t end when one of us dies. We believe that Christians in heaven, the saints, remain in communion with those of us on earth. So, just as we might ask a friend or family member to pray for us, we can approach a saint with our prayers, too.

Now show me where anyone(Christian) in the Bible prayed to Mary or ask any saints to pray for them!

Moreso did u read the Book of Revelations? Wht did it say about those that died in Christ Jesus?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 04, 2013
You are a fool to say we worship mary!
Including those who say samething,all of you are fooools!

Ken_Jak: Though the catholics are not worshipping God, they're worshipping Mary... It's not for him or anyone to judge except God cos God says in the bible, Judge not for you not to be judged.
He's wrong with his preaching.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by gratieao: 7:10pm On Dec 04, 2013
Controversy: FALLACY OF SEED SOWING (2 TIMOTHY 3: 6, 4:3-4) We are in the heart of the last days and the prophecies of the scripture are being fulfilled in our very own eyes, daily. Today if you turn to virtually every corner of the city, you see a church or ministry as they are called now. Frankly, most believers in Christ misconstrue the meaning of church, ministry and denomination. That is a message for another time though. The Scripture says in 2 Timothy 3: 6-7, “For this sort are they which creep into houses, and led away captive silly women laden with sins, led away with diverse lusts, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” In 2 Timothy 4: 3-4 it says, “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lust shall they heap to themselves teachers with itching ears; “And they shall be turned unto fables.” In Micah 2: 11, the Scripture says, “If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying I will prophesy unto thee of wine and strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.” This scriptural verse agrees with 2 Timothy 4:3-4, all that most ‘followers of Christ’ want in these last days, are self- edifying sermons, not necessarily what God wants them to do. The reigning message is no longer, ‘seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all other things shall be added unto you,’ but sow seed in the church or ministry and whatever you want shall be added unto you, in the preacher’s declared measures. I think every believer with the spirit of discernment ought to know where this heretic doctrine comes from. Most Christians are very deficient and lazy in searching the scripture to listen to what God wants them to understand about His purpose for their lives, but run to places where all manner of teachings and doctrines are taught. We prefer to follow the easy way where multitudes are found while neglecting the caution that says ‘the path that leads destruction is broad and narrow is the way and strait is the gate that leads to eternal life’. The first time I heard of the sowing of seed was when I came to Jos newly. On 9th September 2001, the Sunday after the Friday 7th September 2001 Jos North ethno-religious crisis, I went to a church in Kufang. After the sermon, the pastor of the church said that there was need for us to pray so that we will have a peaceful week, which was good. But what troubled me was, when he asked who will sow seed of three thousand naira (N3000.00), two thousand naira (N2000.00) and one thousand (N1000.00) and so forth. I was wondering when the Lord has changed his principle of answering prayers by grace, to answering prayers by sowing of seeds. I was invited to a program in a church some few years back at FDA Road Dadin Kowa Jos; a pastor from a different church was invited to preach. He preached wonderfully about the last days and the maneuvers of Satan to destroy the church, but after the sermon he said that those who would want to escape the snares of the devil should sow seed of two thousand naira (N2000.00) to be prayed for. And if they didn’t have the cash on them at the moment, they should make pledges. Those pastors are cunning with words and intimidate their congregation into sowing seeds; otherwise, their prayers will not be answered. In fact that same pastor gave a testimony, where he said in his church the Lord told them to bring plastic chair each, but a lady refused. So one day when she was preparing for her wedding, he met her and reminded her about the chair, but she didn’t take heed. On her way to the village he said, a car lost control and drove straight to where she sat in a bus, and hit it hard and she died. According to him, she died because she refused to bring a plastic chair to his church, by implication, it can be said that she went to hell because she refused to bring a plastic chair to a church. Candidly, only Satan can do that and not Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible. When has God dropped faith to embrace material things as a condition for inheriting his promises? His word says, “Without faith it is impossible to please Him.” (Hebrews 11: 6). In James 1: 5-6 it is written, “If any man lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and up braideth not; and it shall be given him. “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with wind and tossed.” When Peter met the lame man at the Gate called Beautiful, the man did not sow seed before Christ healed him through Peter, but his faith. The woman with the issue of blood was not healed by Christ because she sowed seed, but her faith. I can go on and on. The people that believe such pastors don’t have the spirit of God. The spirit of God is not the author of confusion, and is full of knowledge and wisdom. I want those that sow seeds for prayers by their pastors to tell me, the prayers they do before eating their food, their morning devotion, before embarking on a journey and so on, to whom do they sow seeds to? Are they not the prayers of faith? If you believe that praying at night before going to bed will move God to protect your family, why would you believe that sowing seed is prerequisite for God to answer your prayers on other issues?. What is it that you have that has not been given to you by God? And what will you give to God to bless you and how much do you worth to buy His blessings? He said, “The Heaven is my throne and the earth my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? And where is my place of rest? “For all these things had mine hand made, and all those things have been saidth the LORD: but to this will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit and trembleth at my word.” Isaiah 66: 1-2. To prove further that God is more interested in our hearts, Jesus Christ said that if you bring your offering to the alter, and remember that someone has something against you, leave your gift at the alter and go and reconcile first. With these how can someone tell you that it is the seed, and you believe? Apostle Paul through the spirit of God said, “Let us come with boldness unto the throne of grace to obtain help in time of need.” In Hebrews 4: 16 Jesus said, “He that comes to me in no wise will I cast him away.” Why is it that you cannot go to the throne of grace with boldness so much that you have to sow seed for someone to pray on your behalf? Is there fire at the throne of grace? Has God cast you away? Why fall prey to these Sooth Sayers that pose as servants of God? Christ said, “Come unto me ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest, do you exclude yourself from this call? Matthew 11: 28. Christ wants you to come to him directly, he is not a terrorist. How many seeds did you sow, that made God sent Him to die for you and I? If his death was free, where did God say you must sow seeds for Him to hear your prayers? God cannot be bribed. God spoke through the Psalmist saying, “I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he-goats out of thy folds. For every beast of the forest are mine and the cattle upon thousand hills. “I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell thee; for the world is mine, and the fullness thereof. Will I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats? “Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the Most High: And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.” Psalm 50: 9-15 Brothers and sisters God wants us to ask in faith and not sow seed for our prayers to be answered. Christ paid the supreme sacrifice; all that He wants from us is to reach out to Him in faith.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
Am nt a catholic,but he is absolutely wrng. He has to tel us what the word of God has to say abt divorce and adultery and malice. He shuld stop bin santimonious. How he misleads his flocks.who is he to judge. A mere mortal.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by obayaya(m): 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
nyabingi: Im not fronting for Pastor Christ, I believe that we must always exhibit love when we want to correct others, the pastor went the xtreem way, but i advice nairalanders especialy youths who are in the catholic church to get down with their bibles and suncerely ask the Holy Spirit for inspirations and insights, thry'd understand why they urgently need to leave the church. Its just the grace of God thats still working in the church, that same grace that alows the rain to fall and sun to shine so that both the wicked and rightous ones eat their daily bread.

Here are some facts some catholics dont know:

The knite of Mulumba is a cult (attend the burial of a member then come back and thank me)
Most money ritualiist and ocult members especially from Igbo land hide under the church
The Papalcy is political and they do a lot of things the "jolly go lucky" catholics dont have a clue of
Most of ur reverend fathers have kids and are established business men (pls watch The Bogias...google pls)
In latin America there's different kinds of anual rituals done to honour madona (mary) sometimes involving the spil of human blood (pls google)

very soon you'll tell me that Mary Magdalen was pregnant for Jesus because you watched da Vinci code

shallow human being
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:14pm On Dec 04, 2013
manny4life:

You just had to call "IGBO" didn't you? You tribal bigotry just could STOP, you hand to bring it into a religious discussion, is it ONLY Igbos that are Catholics in Nigeria? Rephrase your comment if you want an answer..
The question is rhetorical.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by jdilight(m): 7:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
clans:
first of all, no catholic bows down to Mary quote me, what we do is call genuflecting the same you do to your obas and you chiefs and even the average elderly Yoruba man or woman you see on the street. as for Mary being the way the truth and the life you said so yourself NO catholic has ever said that, because we are sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God we go through his mother to INTERCEDE for us on our behalf. Mary was specially conceived without original sin you and i was born with, she was specially designed as the vessel to bring the savior into this world, as for the name Mary, you are right it could as well be Martha or even chrissy3, but it wasn't . and if you say she was just a human, y weren't YOU chosen to bring the savior into the world. i beg of you change you ideology about all this things. ignorance is bliss they say but it is stupid when you base your arguments on them.. have a nice day smiley

hmm are you saying mary didn't have father too like jesus.

hmmmm, wonders in christiandom.

hmmm, do you know mary had other children beside jesus with her husband joseph.

hmmm
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by litetias(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
chrissy3: so honouring mary means you have to go against God's command not to make image of anything in heaven,earth and beneath the sea,you must not bow? Now mary is now 'the way the truth and the life,no one comes to the father except through her? Funny I thought that was suppose to be jesus? Listen jesus christ had to be born as human so he must be born by a human and mary was picked for reasons know to God but the name mary can easily be Martha if someone else was picked .if I ask you catholics why mary was picked you can't say and your saying honouring mary.yes you would give her respect but she has no teaching of the bible and was a vessel for the birth of christ,she is just human nothing more.
The day you show me another woman that was impregnated by the Holy Spirit while still a virgin and who gave birth to the saviour of the world I'll stop giving honour to Mary. When common Patience's (my fellow widows) mother was buried didn't the cream of our society go to honour her? These pastor-worshipping pentecostals that call themselves christians. Mtcheew.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OmoTier1(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
clans:
mister you just judged too. i rather u keep quiet than say things u aint sure off. biko!!! its called HONORING Mary not Worshipping
Can I ask why you have to 'Honour' Mary and 'pray' to Her? Where in all of old testament revelations by Gods spirit of Gods redemptive plan did He say we should 'Honour' Mary?

Why do you pray to Mary to pray for you? Why do you pray with the Rosary? When Jesus was on earth, did He pray to Mary His earthly mother to pray for Him? Time after time, the bible recorded, Jesus went to a solitary place to pray to His father.

So why do you pray to Mary?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
chukwudi44:

You must be very studi for trying to tribalize this thread.Olorubruku ode
Ngebe, why not prove me wrong?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by gratieao: 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
dejilg:

Now show me where anyone(Christian) in the Bible prayed to Mary or ask any saints to pray for them!

Moreso did u read the Book of Revelations? Wht did it say about those that died in Christ Jesus?
We reverence her, as we do all the saints, but true worship is addressed to God alone. Otherwise, we would fall into idolatry. Christ is our only mediator (1 Tim. 2:5-6) with the Father, but Mary can intercede (pray for us) with her Son Jesus. Jesus worked his first miracle at her request ( Jn. 2:1-12). Just as we can ask other members of the church on earth to pray for us (1 Tim. 2:1; 2 Tim. 1:3; Phil. 4:22), so too, can we ask members of the church in heaven to pray for us (Rv. 5:8; 6:9-11; 7:10-12; 8:2-6; Mt. 22:31, 32).
Hope i have answered your question?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dejilg(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
fabulousdame:
pls where in d bible did Jesus give u d authority to condemn people to hell? u said i know noting en i need the holy spirit(i agree, everyone does) buh u clearly need serious intervention of the holy spirit... people who claim to know it all re the ones that end up knowing nothing at all..
i'm done arguing wit u. u re free to believe watever u want buh i must warn u my friend, matters of the holy spirit are delicate and u shudn't answer dem with wat u tink or ur mis-interpretation of the holy bible..just pray u re on the right track
God bless u.

again u show ur inability to read! What's the theme of the entire Bible pls? Perhaps u can tell us what the 10 commandments say? And then if it calls doin all does things it forbids as Sin, den where will sinners end......I guess u'd say hell....isn't dis wat we've been saying all along? Now did u make up the judgement or u just pronounced an already laid down judgement?! U catholics sound much like muslims
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
So we shuld close our eyes an watch him mislead his congregation? 4 me,his calling is questionable. Nothing in him shows,that he is a believer,let alone a pastor.
daraj: its a pity how people argue blindly without proof,and abuse a man of God with impunity,the fact that he is human and has weakness and thus fall in certain circumstances does not give anybody the right to insult who God has called and whether you believe it or not as far as he is representing the Almighty God he has the annointing of God upon his life so you people should be very careful in your choice of words particularly when it has to do with a man of God.if you are a good bible scholar you could recall in the bible when saul was after Davids life and he (david) has the opportunity to kill saul he refused and said how can he touch the anointed of God or do him harm,not only by our hands can we do harm but also by our words,i am not an advocate of pastor okotie i just want to bring to light the dangers of our words when its directed to a man of GOD.In reference to the above topic if catholics really want to know if they are serving the true JESUS of the bible i would like to recommend that they read this book PREPARE FOR WAR by Rebecca Brown MD.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
Beezally: history of the station of the cross
After the death and resurrection of jesus at about 32/33ad,many people began to reflect upon his passion and death. These people, especially those who believed in him were convinced that the death of jesus was different. From other deaths. the fact that jesus did not remain in the grave made his death much more wonderful and exceptional . These early Christians began to make visits to jerusalem so as to physically walk in jesus footsteps in a prayerful mood these christians would walk along the way remembering what happened to jesus on those spots. That street that jesus walked on is still called VIA DOLOROSA marked the important places on the street so that those who came after them could follow and make their devotions. The visitors became known as pilgrims. Hope this helps u
How does this help millions that go to convents to bow their heads to these stations?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OmoTier1(m): 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
litetias: The day you show me another woman that was impregnated by the Holy Spirit while still a virgin and who gave birth to the saviour of the world I'll stop giving honour to Mary. When common Patience's (my fellow widows) mother was buried didn't the cream of our society go to honour her? These pastor-worshipping pentecostals that call themselves christians. Mtcheew.

Mary had favour with God. That is the end of the matter! To begin to make a God out of Her is sinful and an abomination before God. Baal et. al. where made god in like manner as many of you have made Mary a kind of a god.

How come Apostle Paul, Apostle Peter Apostle John and others to whom Jesus committed into their hands the ministry of reconciliation never taught the church about 'Honouring' Mary and 'praying' to pray for them?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by kallat: 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
I was born a CATHOLIC and will die one by God's grace.. So I beg on all CATHOLICS and christians in general to please stop arguing... We have been told the way of GOD is a mystery to man.. We shouldn't blasphame against the holy spirit for that is an unforgiveable sin..... This arguements and querells are brought by vices against christianity to cause division and from the way I see it they ar succeeding... We should stop promoting ther course... Let's all live good lives and gain the mercy and favour of GOD ALMIGHTY so that he may open the gates of heaven to us!!!! AMEN!!

1 Like

Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OmoTier1(m): 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Adaobi12: So we shuld close our eyes an watch him mislead his congregation? 4 me,his calling is questionable. Nothing in him shows,that he is a believer,let alone a pastor.
Who are you to say Okotie calling is questionable? Why not let God be the judge of all men?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
Catholic church is the first ever. Even the bible you read was put together by a council of catholic bishops thru Gods guidance. This church has stood the test of time with all that has happened good or bad. Please leave catholics alone and develop ur own church.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dejilg(m): 7:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
lacum:
david was a king in israel n d old testament held him in high regard. catholics does not despise him but we give mary dat honour for her role in our salvation history.

ur even going too far y not talk about joseph n i will tell u dat we honour him too.

Seems u are not following the thread, if Jesus after returning to his Glory in heaven as shown by the book of revelations....

He says "I am the root and OFFSPRING of David..." Now this is the latest of Jesus' statement in the Bible....he makes no mention of Mary at all...but instead mentioned David. So y choose Mary over David?

I hear ur Marian Devotee frnds claimin Angel's honoured Mary and bla bla, isn't Jesus more dan the Angels? Now why dnt u pray to David sayin "David, Father of God, pray for us..."

Note that Jesus ddnt for once quote Himself as the Son of Mary, but instead He alludes to the fact that He is the Son of David!

So why not honour David instead?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by OmoTier1(m): 7:24pm On Dec 04, 2013
kallat: I was born a CATHOLIC and will die one by God's grace.. So I beg on all CATHOLICS and christians in general to please stop arguing... We have been told the way of GOD is a mystery to man.. We shouldn't blasphame against the holy spirit for that is an unforgiveable sin..... This arguements and querells are brought by vices against christianity to cause division and from the way I see it they ar succeeding... We should stop promoting ther course... Let's all live good lives and gain the mercy and favour of GOD ALMIGHTY so that he may open the gates of heaven to us!!!! AMEN!!
Okay, I have to reply to your post because of the statement in bold. Where in the bible the God say His ways are mysterious to man? If His ways are truly mysterious, why then did Jesus come?
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by pembisco(m): 7:24pm On Dec 04, 2013
Dis is wat i hv 4 u condeming catholics. U guys claim we worship d devil nd d devil we ol knw is bound on converting/drawing nd deceiving pple of God to himself. Wat i mean is this. Hv u guys ever seen catholics by ol means tryin to convert pple to its church lyk u pentecostal do daily ? Hv u ever seen a catholic signboard writen "worshp wit u at st john church fo instance?" if we as catholics ar d devil worshipers y dnt we mov frm one house to d oda cnverting pple to our church wch is d main mission of devil on earth. Wat bafls me is d way u pentecostals keep tryin converting urslevs frm 1 church to d oda, u see a deeper life memba trying to convert a living faith memba. Y shuld christians fish frm d pool of christians fo God's sake. Y nt fish frm d pool of non believers into d believers pool. U guys shuld leav us alne, nobody askd u 2 come worshp wit us unlyk hw u guys do. Infct ol diz criticism only strentens my faith in d catholic church cos evn d bible said it. "d church of God wil suffer persecution" tel any church dt sufferd any persecutn lyk ours nd i'll tel u you ar stl a learner
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by gratieao: 7:25pm On Dec 04, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Can I ask why you have to 'Honour' Mary and 'pray' to Her? Where in all of old testament revelations by Gods spirit of Gods redemptive plan did He say we should 'Honour' Mary?

Why do you pray to Mary to pray for you? Why do you pray with the Rosary? When Jesus was on earth, did He pray to Mary His earthly mother to pray for Him? Time after time, the bible recorded, Jesus went to a solitary place to pray to His father.

So why do you pray to Mary?
Of course, one can and should address Jesus directly in prayer; however, this does not negate Mary’s role. The question is a good one and possesses some complexity. All of the attributes of mercy and love attributed to Mary find their ultimate source in the Lord. The unity between the Mother and her divine Son is very intimate and unbreakable. Even when we address our prayers to Jesus or show him homage, we are also honoring his Mother and invoking her assistance. Mary rejoices when we come to her Son, no matter what the path. The Dominican priest, Fr. Jelly wrote that in this sense, even the most fundamentalist of Protestants are showing their respect to Mary in their devotion to Christ. Conversely, God is honored when we honor Mary. God loves us to honor Mary as a Father is pleased when his daughter is honored. All the honor we give to Mary is reflected back to God since we honor her for what He has done for her, with her, and through her. When we honor her, we honor Him. When Catholics address Mary, it is because there is something about her maternal qualities which soothe our souls and remind us of the great company of heaven– the home to which we hope to one day enter. Even in human families, the love and help of parents could just as well come from one parent or the other; but sometimes we want the strength of our fathers and at other times the feminine touch of our mothers. Mary is a creature, not God like her Son, and yet her abiding proximity and union to Christ makes her a fitting figure for our prayers. We reverence her, as we do all the saints, but true worship is addressed to God alone. Otherwise, we would fall into idolatry. Christ is our only mediator (1 Tim. 2:5-6) with the Father, but Mary can intercede (pray for us) with her Son Jesus. Jesus worked his first miracle at her request ( Jn. 2:1-12). Just as we can ask other members of the church on earth to pray for us (1 Tim. 2:1; 2 Tim. 1:3; Phil. 4:22), so too, can we ask members of the church in heaven to pray for us (Rv. 5:8; 6:9-11; 7:10-12; 8:2-6; Mt. 22:31, 32).
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by HYBREED(m): 7:25pm On Dec 04, 2013
I can dare say I have more information about christianity than pastor okotie does. If he knows how the catholic have been the custodian of what he now rely on to preach...he wouldn't make such utterances about catholic. Though a muslim,but I know to some extent about how constantinople collated the bible.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
The Catholics worship God though they may be doing it the wrong way. That is the reason God brought the charismatic renewal among them to help them worship him rightly. Catholics like hiding from the truth with the quote "don't judge" when the Bible clearly states that we should test all spirit. I was a Catholic. No Catholic could have defended my faith then better than me but I realised I was only being stubborn and hiding from the truth. I am not saying Catholics should leave their church, I will only advise them to read more of the Bible, less of Sunday misa, they should not be afraid of change. The should conquer the thought of "I was born a Catholic, all my life, I have been a Catholic. Nobody can change my mind. As for Chris okotie, A Catholic that confessed Jesus as his lord and saviour, cannot go to hell.
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
The high volume of traffic in this thread is obviously caused by catholic faithfuls. I'm signing off b'cos I can't be in the same thread with idolaters undecided
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by dejilg(m): 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
dionysius: Catholic church is the first ever. Even the bible you read was put together by a council of catholic bishops thru Gods guidance. This church has stood the test of time with all that has happened good or bad. Please leave catholics alone and develop ur own church.

Wow!!! How much of history can u rewrite na? Catholic bishops put the Bible together? Can u get us ur sources? and the Catholic church is the first ever? No wonder it is mentioned in the seven Churches of Asia Minor (in ur dreams boy!)
Re: Pastor Okotie Replies Catholics Over His "Hell Fire"sermon by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
I totally disagree with Chris Okotie
He does not speak my mind or the mind of so many Christian non Catholics
Born and raised Anglican I still consider myself Anglican but non denominational now because of my Assemblies of God brought up hubby.
I know many good Christians who are Catholics
There is catholic nun here from Nigeria who is one of the finest Christians I know
A catholic priest from Enugu preached at a recent Christian gathering I attended and the man was so anointed
Okotie is speaking out of ignorance and that is a shame that a so called man of God doesn't know how to bridle his tongue

If a Catholic believes in the apostle's creed below,he is my brother and my sister

I believe in God,
the Father almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead and was buried;
he descended into hell;
on the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting. Amen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (26) (Reply)

'Magnificent' Ruins From Time Of Jesus Found In Earth's Holiest Site, Jerusalem / A Must Read: Abuja Declaration Of 1989 / South African Policeman Prays Before Arresting Pastor Who Defied Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.