Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? (22752 Views)

Meet The Woman Who Performed Caesarean Section On Herself. / Baby Weighing 6.10kg Born Without A caesarean Section.[picture] / Woman Performs Own Caesarean To Save Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by satellitedaisy: 5:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
Big4wig: .
tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by thorpido(m): 5:35pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ignorance I tell you.
What's the point having babies with cerebral palsy due to asphyxia or Erb's palsy cos the baby couldn't come out on time or with difficulty?What about the mother who could end up with some form of paralysis due to birth trauma.

If the baby is breech or the placenta lies in front of the baby,you will have to bring the baby out through C/S.If the birth canal is not compatible with the baby due to the size,a C/S is indicated.

Some people think you having a baby through C/S makes you not woman enough or that the doctor just wants to make money.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by satellitedaisy: 5:38pm On Dec 06, 2013
Jayses: Pls what is caesarean .

Shey na anything wey consign Caesar abi?

Otondo! tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by nora544: 5:43pm On Dec 06, 2013
Blendy77: Answer to your question is ignorance. Plain ignorance my Sister. I have had colleagues, friend and very close relatives (including my sister)who rejected CS and after hours of prolonged labour were still operated upon to save life of mother and child. If you ask them today why they rejected CS even after their Dr had told them its the last resort, the only answer they give is "I didnt know CS was like that".
A colleague of mine was told she can only deliver thru CS because her baby was breech. According to her, she decided to have the baby in her church (apostolic church or so) cos her pastor told her she will die if she delivers thru cs in the hospital. She was in labour for over 10 days in the church and couldnt give birth and in the process the baby died and she woke up in the hospital after going into comma. Ask me if this lady and her spouse are not graduates that cant read and write? Whenever this arguement comes up in the office, she still maintains that she would have died if she had delivered that baby via CS in the hospital. She has not been able to conceive since then. First class ignorance.

This is also a big problem that pastors who are no doctors tell a woman why she has to do. it is not the first story i hear from a pastor of this new churches where they ask that the woman should come in the church and all went well.

Every pastor who teach his follers this should go in prision because that is against humanity. The pastoir is the killer of the child, and that has nothing to do with the bible.

This pastors of this new churches whan t that there followers make all what they say and that is the biggest problem.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by nora544: 5:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
Some people think you having a baby through C/S makes you not woman enough or that the doctor just wants to make money.

Also the pastors from this new churches want to make money.

they will tell make it in the church and you didnot have to pay the doctor, i know some of this stories and in western countries such a Pastor would come in prision for some years.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by tunesoft(m): 5:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
I think the pastors should be at d forefront educating pple...cos in the 1st instance, they are the same that mislead pple...yes I do believe in miracles...buh clear cases are clear...if miracle one happen..let it happen just b4 the woman is wheeled into the theater..not the woman being on one mountain with pple scabbashing on her head...risking her life and the babies life
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by kate85(f): 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2013
Some doctors suggest cs for their own convinences. I had a prolonged labour with my first child and d doctor suggested they operate me. I wanted to know d reason for d operation cos I did some research and know some of d reasons why a doctor will opt for operation. He said he just feel for me cos I'm in pains. I heard one of d nurses saying they are tired with d length of my labour. Well I had my baby naturally after 19 hrs of labour smiley. My second was through cs because she was breeched. D recovery period wasn't easy at all. I still prefer d natural birth, but if there is any complications I will go for a cs without any fear.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by jumpmasta(m): 5:52pm On Dec 06, 2013
Na ignorance go kill you
Elizabethoni:

Our doctors are simply not RELIABLE!!!
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Chinwem(f): 5:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
People would rather believe their pastors than their doctors.

At the end they reap what they ve sown
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by tunesoft(m): 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
kate85: Some doctors suggest cs for their own convinences. I had a prolonged labour with my first child and d doctor suggested they operate me. I wanted to know d reason for d operation cos I did some research and know some of d reasons why a doctor will opt for operation. He said he just feel for me cos I'm in pains. I heard one of d nurses saying they are tired with d length of my labour. Well I had my baby after 19 hrs of labour smiley. My second was through cs because she was breeched. D recovery period wasn't easy at all. I still prefer d natural birth, but if there is any complications I will go for a cs with any fear.
Well...the doctor might have been wrong, buh mayb he just didn't want to spell it out...the baby might have being have issues too in there..then wats the point of going through prolonged labor....being sturborn then at the end giving birth to a baby that is asphyxiated damaging the baby's brain...the child den ends up a dullard in future even if he escapes having CP...
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
kate85: Some doctors suggest cs for their own convinences. I had a prolonged labour with my first child and d doctor suggested they operate me. I wanted to know d reason for d operation cos I did some research and know some of d reasons why a doctor will opt for operation. He said he just feel for me cos I'm in pains. I heard one of d nurses saying they are tired with d length of my labour. Well I had my baby naturally after 19 hrs of labour smiley. My second was through cs because she was breeched. D recovery period wasn't easy at all. I still prefer d natural birth, but if there is any complications I will go for a cs without any fear.
19 hours? wow! You try o. i've witnessed some child births, although i can stand it, it's kinda messy. damn
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by nora544: 5:57pm On Dec 06, 2013
Chinwem: People would rather believe their pastors than their doctors.

Because pastors know all and always tell the truth, but when will the woman in nigeria see that most of this new Pastors are only business man and not real man of God.

I know many kids die because Pastors tell woman that they should give birth to the child in the church and that is a big problem.

Every pastor who kill a child in this way should go for 5 years in prision.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by tunesoft(m): 5:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
Chinwem: People would rather believe their pastors than their doctors.

At the end they reap what they ve sown
That's why the pastors should be involed in the enlightenment....i once was in a hospital where a woman was in labor...(prolonged already...) this matured man of God came in and told the doctor to continue his work..that he will just be outside praying...the woman was being prep for surgery...and just b4 she was wheeled in..she delivered...now that's a matured pastor who allowed d woman to be in d hospital..while still praying..others will prefer her to be in d church..nd when she's almost dead push her out..as if God no dey insyd hospital....na devil dey dere...

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by NAJALYN: 6:02pm On Dec 06, 2013
Why opt for cs if normal delivery is possible? Cs is very risky and should only be a last resort. Women, during pregnancy, should avoid too much carbohydrate meals, too much eggs, minerals, etc. as they would make baby too big & delivery difficult.

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by kate85(f): 6:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
The doctor told me d baby was Ok. I hv nothing against cs if that's d only way out. Though d recovery process is tough. As I'm talking now, I'm still in pains of d cs I did for my third baby since 8/04/12.
tunesoft:
Well...the doctor might have been wrong, buh mayb he just didn't want to spell it out...the baby might have being have issues too in there..then wats the point of going through prolonged labor....being sturborn then at the end giving birth to a baby that is asphyxiated damaging the baby's brain...the child den ends up a dullard in future even if he escapes having CP...
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by ifedun2: 6:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
Gone are the days when women die through CS.Aside the initial discomfort,I think there is really no big deal to it.People are against it I guess, for some of the reasons enumerated in earlier comments but if you ask me,I will go for CS any day.

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 06, 2013
Am surprised no one is talking about the cost of having a CS. If the cost of a CS were to be the same as a normal delivery ,I tell you that more women will opt for CS. Why should I stress myself for hours of labour when the baby can be gotten out in minutes? Thank God for science and technology for making things easy during child birth. CS all the way! cool

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by tunesoft(m): 6:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
NAJALYN: Why opt for cs if normal delivery is possible? Cs is very risky and should only be a last resort. Women, during pregnancy, should avoid too much carbohydrate meals, too much eggs, minerals, etc. as they would make baby too big & delivery difficult.
Hello...dont misinform pple...CS is not very risky...its surgery..and all surgeries carries it's own risk...buh with statistics...its can be aswell very safe
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
Cs/vaginal delivery,all that matters is that mother and child survived.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
berem: Am surprised no one is talking about the cost of having a CS. If the cost of a CS were to be the same as a normal delivery ,I tell you that more women will opt for CS. Why should I stress myself for hours of labour when the baby can be gotten out in minutes? Thank God for science and technology for making things easy during child birth. CS all the way! cool

What of the after pains of CS?The belly takes more time to go down after a Cs which I hate, i won't go for Cs even if it's free,not when I have the choice of safe vaginal delivery. I also don't trust our health care system.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by JadeWilliam(f): 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
because som women believe dat if u deliver thru Cs,then u did not deliver lik a hebrew woman

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by halle2: 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
CS is always a last resort. It should not be the first option especially if labour is progressing normally and there are no complications in the process. Even in the Western world, it is supposed to be a last option. Just that some mothers are overly anxious, they wanna have their babies at a particular date, the doctors also do not want to waste time cos natural birth takes longer time compared to CS, so they wanna get the procedure done and move on to other duties. Research still shows that a natural uncomplicated delivery method is the safest. CS is still a major surgery, the woman loses more blood in the process, so there is more likelihood of getting transfused...there are still several other issues. Apparently, its advantage is that the baby's head shape isnt altered cos it didnt pass through the birth canal but for the mother, she gets to deal with issues of complications sometimes after delivery, pains and stitches in this part of the world (naija). And yes, people still die from CS.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by thorpido(m): 6:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
byvan:

What of the after pains of CS?The belly takes more time to go down after a Cs which I hate, i won't go for Cs even if it's free,not when I have the choice of safe vaginal delivery. I also don't trust our health care system.
The c/s is a last resort.The womanliness delivery is allowed except when it won't be possible or may be unsafe.
If it has to be done,then the after effects are just some of the discomforts that come with it.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by JadeWilliam(f): 6:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
byvan:
Tru talk but mind u,wit normal delivery too,d tommy takes tym 2go dwn.
If its d last resort&wil save d mother&baby's life;its a very good option if d surgeon has a good success record.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
byvan:

the only pains you have after CS doesn't exceed one week. Its not that the pains are that serious. You just avoid lifting heavy objects. I had a CS once and by one week I was fine and back to normal.
As for the tummy, though a woman who had a CS is likely to have a bigger tummy than that of a woman with normal delivery but not in all cases. It depends on the body of the woman.
As for healthcare systems, If you want a CS, go to a good hospital with good gynecologists.

1 Like

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by stephnie44(f): 6:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
Big4wig: Dem no wan die na

See grammar on top say mandela die:
**painful exist! * * Shocking lose! * *
Mandela is gun! * * We wil mix u! *
*Braking news! * * Foreva on our hats....
I jst saw som1 who wrote, "Why ar d gud
actors dieing,wot is Nollywood turning to,
RIP mandela, i'll miss ur film".
Must we all talk? O su mi ooo.

#BIGWIG

9ja babes can fall hand.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 06, 2013
Jade William: because som women believe dat if u deliver thru Cs,then u did not deliver lik a hebrew woman
Lol @ hebrew women. grin grin
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Acidosis(m): 6:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. Fear (We've heard of careless medical personnels. Nigerians hardly forgive/forget)

2. Cost (Some hospitals like Reddington
Hospital, can ask for 1million naira).

3. CS is an alternative means of child birth. Meaning, its not expected of sane society to prefer cs to the ordained means of child birth.

Women are supposed to feel the pains of labour (a reward of the sins of Eve).
[Don't quote if you aint a true christian. I nor fit argue]

So it's not ignorance par se, its a believe in this part of the world.

Yes, some pastors act ignorantly. Its sad but we can't completely eliminate them.. best is to avoid them.

Same way, women should be very mindful of the clinics they consults.
Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 06, 2013
Acidosis: 1. Fear (We've heard of careless medical personnels. Nigerians hardly forgive/forget)

2. Cost (Some hospitals like Reddington
Hospital, can ask for 1million naira).

3. CS is an alternative means of child birth. Meaning, its not expected of sane society to prefer cs to the ordained means of child birth.

Women are supposed to feel the pains of labour (a reward of the sins of Eve).

[Don't quote if you aint a true christian. I nor fit argue]

So it's not ignorance par se, its a believe in this part of the world.

Yes, some pastors act ignorantly. Its sad but we can't completely eliminate them.. best is to avoid them.

Same way, women should be very mindful of the clinics they consults.
why should I pay for the sins of Eve? Na me tell am to give Adam apple? That was thousands of years ago. We are in 2013 for goodness sake! angry

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by Nogen: 6:52pm On Dec 06, 2013
@ Blendy, it is pure first class ignorance like you said. A male colleague of mine lost his wife and first child because they preferred delivery through vjj. The woman was in prolonged labour, she eventually died of exhaustion and of course the baby was long dead in her womb.
I was so shocked and terrified. I kept wondering if cs was that bad. But I remembered my mum's life was saved through cs.

Churches today don't help matters. It sounds like an abomination for a woman to give birth through CS. These days, I just listen and pick what I know it is right for me. No man or woman will send me to my untimely grave because of their first class ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fear Of Caesarean Section By Nigerian Women? by howfarwhatagwan: 7:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
Well for different reasons I guess you never know until you ask them however I am just learning in one of my courses that there are scientific evidences that a baby born by normal delivery has a healthier gut microbiota (microbes living in our intestines/GI that impact health) than that delivered by CS because during normal child birth the newborn's tract is colonized by microbes from the mother.

That is not to say that the child born by CS will not develop a healthy gut flora oh, the development is also dependent on the feeding so as you breastfeed the gut flora will be dominated by bifidobacteria which has healthy impacts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Reveals How He Almost Killed Himself After Being Diagnosed Of Vitiligo / COVID-19: 6-Year-Old Girl Tests Positive In Jigawa / NAFDAC Exposes Dangers Of Prolonged Use Of Paracetamol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.