Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. (1449 Views)

How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings? / Reno Omokri Interviews Lincoln Brewster: I Gave My Life To Christ At 19 / See What This Dude Is Giving To God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 3:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
"Give your life to god", Give your life to Jesus".
Yeah, In Nigeria, one hears that almost very ten minutes.
They come in all shades, from intelligent people, to the clinically insane.

The first question I always ask is "why".
Why do I need to give my life to Jesus?

"Because he died for your sins"
But why?
"Because man is born into sin"
But why?
"Because Adam sinned"
But why?
"Because he disobeyed God"
But why?
"Because the Satan made him do it".
But why?
Because Satan is God's enemy?
But why?
"Because........"

I think we all know where is headed.

There is a saying that " The taste of the pudding is in the eating".

For 2000yrs Christians (people who have given their life to Jesus) have been preaching to most of humanity to accept jesus in their lives.
Over the 2 millenia, many have taken the bait and have live and died as christians.

Many have also rejected Jesus and have gone on to live meaning productive lives.

Since it rains and shines on everyone, what distinguishes one who has accepted jesus from one who does not?.
On the surface, there is no difference.
Everyone, christian and non-christian are exposed to the same good or bad weather, to the same economic ups and downs, to the same insecurities, subject tot he same good or bad government policies .

However, on the deeper level, there is a marked difference between the person who gives his life to god/Jesus and the one who does not .

Whereas the non-God person deals with the ups and downs of his life and takes responsiblity for the outcomes, the person who his gives his life to god carries much more bigger burden.
He not only has to deal with his life issues, but he also has worry about an invisible god,who ( he has been told) demands certain things from him.
In addition to that, he also by default, has to worry about God's also invisible enemy, the devil.
So he is constantly caught between trying to please his god and also trying to evade or outsmart god's enemy.

Very soon, he becomes part of god's army, and then goes on a search and destroy mission of Satan and his agents.
So, anyone who disagrees with him on any issue is likely to be labelled an agent of Satan.

In addition to all of the above, the most burdensome ordeal that the person of faith faces is the Agony of unrealized expectations from God. The despair and doubts when god does not answer the daily prayers despite all rituals of faith, despite all the monetary sacrifices.

Religion is very unique in that it has a built-in fail-safe mechanism that does not allow for the growth of too much doubts.
For example, when prayers do not work, the devil is there to take the blame.
The faithful are simply urged to upp their game by giving more money, praying more frequently and being more forceful with the devil.

If perchance, something good happens in the life of the faithful, then it's hurray!, seize the moment and give even more to show gratitude and for continuity.

The religious mind, from what I see all around me, is a burdened mind.
Why would any one want to inherit such a burden?

This is a reason why you should not give your life to God, any God.
Be free today and remain free.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by TharyeS(m): 4:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
wotz ur point here dickson?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
Just when the religious section was becoming too boring, you came up with this to spice things up.

Epic thread sir

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 04, 2013
Tharye S.:
wotz ur point here dickson?

You have no reason to give your life to God or Jesus
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by TharyeS(m): 4:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
rationalmind:

You have no reason to give your life to God or Jesus
I grab. Yeah i ave no reason buh ma life is aedi wiv him. How wud i gerrit bak plz?
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
Just last week one of my neighbours came back from a journey, I asked her what she brought. Knowing im an atheist, she said "God's blessings". I asked if those blessings are in her life and she said, of course yes.

I was like, so, what exactly is the difference between you who has the blessings and me who doesnt have it. How are you better than I am? In what way?

She replied, its not what you can see. Its spiritual.

Lol, so when you said in the op religion has a built in fail-safe mechanism, i perfectly understand what you mean.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
Tharye S.:
I grab. Yeah i ave no reason buh ma life is aedi wiv him. How wud i gerrit bak plz?

start reading the bible. Focus on the old testaments. Read philosophical books, read science books.

Most of all, don't be too far from the religious section. Most esp from threads like these.
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by TharyeS(m): 4:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
rationalmind:

start reading the bible . Focus on the old testaments. Read philosophical books, read science books.

Most of all, don't be too far from the religious section. Most esp from threads like these.
wud d bible still teach me why i shudnt giv ma life 2 Christ.?
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by frank317: 6:00pm On Dec 04, 2013
rationalmind: Just last week one of my neighbours came back from a journey, I asked her what she brought. Knowing im an atheist, she said "God's blessings". I asked if those blessings are in her life and she said, of course yes.

I was like, so, what exactly is the difference between you who has the blessings and me who doesnt have it. How are you better than I am? In what way?

She replied, its not what you can see. Its spiritual.

Lol, so when you said in the op religion has a built in fail-safe mechanism, i perfectly understand what you mean.

lol since the blessing is spiritual... why not lay her and take ur chunk of spiritual blessing.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 6:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
rationalmind: Just when the religious section was becoming too boring, you came up with this to spice things up.

Epic thread sir

grin wink
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
Tharye S.:

Yea, remember to focus on the old testament. Read more about how achan disobeyed and his whole family was killed. Keep reading those stories
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
frank3.16:

lol since the blessing is spiritual... why not lay her and take ur chunk of spiritual blessing.

Lol, is that how uve been taking spiritual blessings?
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by tobechi20(m): 9:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
I wonder why your post dont make front page.

Nice......just unfortunate nairaland managment/supermod dont appreciate it

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by NativeBoy: 10:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
I guess you atheists just can't get enough of God. Seriously though, It is good that you do spend time thinking about the truth. I sincerely urge you to continue to look into the truth. It is not unheard of that atheists have come to Christ.

To respond:
Once again we come to the popular misconception that giving your life to Christ should produce signs of material prosperity. Nothing is further from the truth. In fact the opposite is almost always true since material prosperity tends to remove one's need for God.

Jesus states it clearly as to why man should be reconciled with his creator:
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Mark 8:36 NKJV)

If material blessings is what someone desires, they don't need God for that. Eventually though, everything thing that a man places value on (his idols) will fade and when difficult times come such a person often collapses under the weight. You just need to look at all the vices and addictions most people are enslaved by.

Why do we need God?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NKJV)

and

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27 NKJV)

etc...

Of
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 7:23am On Dec 05, 2013
NativeBoy: I guess you atheists just can't get enough of God. Seriously though, It is good that you do spend time thinking about the truth. I sincerely urge you to continue to look into the truth. It is not unheard of that atheists have come to Christ.

To respond:
Once again we come to the popular misconception that giving your life to Christ should produce signs of material prosperity. Nothing is further from the truth. In fact the opposite is almost always true since material prosperity tends to remove one's need for God.

Jesus states it clearly as to why man should be reconciled with his creator:
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Mark 8:36 NKJV)

If material blessings is what someone desires, they don't need God for that. Eventually though, everything thing that a man places value on (his idols) will fade and when difficult times come such a person often collapses under the weight. You just need to look at all the vices and addictions most people are enslaved by.

Why do we need God?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NKJV)

and

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27 NKJV)

etc...

Of

As per the bolded, thousands of Fillipinos who believed in Jesus did perish a weeks ago through an act of god incident.
So where was Jesus?
If Jesus/God cannot save the faithful from a tempest storm, then what is the use of faith and prayers?.
So, my point stands that believers in fairy skydaddies carry a much bigger burden than non-believers because aside from praying incessantly for this blessing and that protection, you have to deal with daily agony of ufulfilled expectations from the omni omni sky daddy.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by lirusehn(m): 8:15am On Dec 05, 2013
rationalmind:

Yea, remember to focus on the old testament. Read more about how achan disobeyed and his whole family was killed. Keep reading those stories
now i can see wot confusion has done 2 u. Tell ur Dad 2 get u a life. LFLS tho
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by fredx4(m): 10:43am On Dec 05, 2013
Tharye S.:
Be careful if uar a baby christian then its excusable but if you've benefited from the gifts of the Holy Spirit and you've experienced God's power then it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to come back Christ. So thread carefully
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by fredx4(m): 10:45am On Dec 05, 2013
All atheist in the house just be fully convinced that you know what you are doing coz after death no more room for repentance.
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 05, 2013
The case of Christianity is about a bunch of people who do not have a clue of life without their dehumanising religion. After going through years of brainwash,mostly from childhood, it then seem like an Adult realising that the man they called Father isn't their Dad after all.

I have always said humans do not need gods but rather they should bring out the inner God in them. Christians Are not spiritual in anyway,because since we are all spirit beings in a human body,the act of spirituality is thus about being more spiritual and less physical....that is, developing psychic abilities to perceive the other dimensions we will be able to perceive without the body.

Will this topic ever make front page? I strongly doubt! That is because the mission of the a Religious moderators is to keep a large portion of Niralanders in ignorance.

Just like the OP said, jesus/gods are extra,unnecessary baggage
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4: All atheist in the house just be fully convinced that you know what you are doing coz after death no more room for repentance.

There will be no room or mansions for anything.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 3:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4: All atheist in the house just be fully convinced that you know what you are doing coz after death no more room for repentance.

Sir,
As an adult, don't you feel a tad silly to believe that what you do not see or experience in this life will be all there for your pleasure AFTER YOU DIE?
Don't you sometimes feel that someone(or a body) is making a fool, a lifelong maga of you? grin

Even children believing in Santa Clause seems a lot more reasonable than your after death fantasies.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by fredx4(m): 3:27pm On Dec 05, 2013
plaetton:

Sir,
As an adult, don't you feel a tad silly to believe that what you do not see or experience in this life will be all there for your pleasure AFTER YOU DIE?
Don't you sometimes feel that someone(or a body) is making a fool, a lifelong maga of you? grin

Even children believing in Santa Clause seems a lot more reasonable than your after death fantasies.
You can't explain spiritual phenomenons with physical observations. I believe in God and if God says there's a heaven I believe Him wholeheartedly. And even if you don't believe in God, do you want to say u don't believe in the devil, or how do you want to explain people that do money rituals and people that have various charms. Dont be naïve and don't have a myopic view of life, the "spiritual world exists".
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4:
You can't explain spiritual phenomenons with physical observations. I believe in God and if God says there's a heaven I believe Him wholeheartedly. And even if you don't believe in God, do you want to say u don't believe in the devil, or how do you want to explain people that do money rituals and people that have various charms. Dont be naïve and don't have a myopic view of life, the "spiritual world exists".

See Built in fail-safe mechanism

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4:

Bro, God didn't say there is heaven. Man said so

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by fredx4(m): 3:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
rationalmind:

God did through Jesus Christ.
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by macof(m): 3:48pm On Dec 05, 2013
plaetton: "Give your life to god", Give your life to Jesus".
Yeah, In Nigeria, one hears that almost very ten minutes.
They come in all shades, from intelligent people, to the clinically insane.

The first question I always ask is "why".
Why do I need to give my life to Jesus?

"Because he died for your sins"
But why?
"Because man is born into sin"
But why?
"Because Adam sinned"
But why?
"Because he disobeyed God"
But why?
"Because the Satan made him do it".
But why?
Because Satan is God's enemy?
But why?
"Because........"

I think we all know where is headed.

There is a saying that " The taste of the pudding is in the eating".

For 2000yrs Christians (people who have given their life to Jesus) have been preaching to most of humanity to accept jesus in their lives.
Over the 2 millenia, many have taken the bait and have live and died as christians.

Many have also rejected Jesus and have gone on to live meaning productive lives.

Since it rains and shines on everyone, what distinguishes one who has accepted jesus from one who does not?.
On the surface, there is no difference.
Everyone, christian and non-christian are exposed to the same good or bad weather, to the same economic ups and downs, to the same insecurities, subject tot he same good or bad government policies .

However, on the deeper level, there is a marked difference between the person who gives his life to god/Jesus and the one who does not .

Whereas the non-God person deals with the ups and downs of his life and takes responsiblity for the outcomes, the person who his gives his life to god carries much more bigger burden.
He not only has to deal with his life issues, but he also has worry about an invisible god,who ( he has been told) demands certain things from him.
In addition to that, he also by default, has to worry about God's also invisible enemy, the devil.
So he is constantly caught between trying to please his god and also trying to evade or outsmart god's enemy.

Very soon, he becomes part of god's army, and then goes on a search and destroy mission of Satan and his agents.
So, anyone who disagrees with him on any issue is likely to be labelled an agent of Satan.

In addition to all of the above, the most burdensome ordeal that the person of faith faces is the Agony of unrealized expectations from God. The despair and doubts when god does not answer the daily prayers despite all rituals of faith, despite all the monetary sacrifices.

Religion is very unique in that it has a built-in fail-safe mechanism that does not allow for the growth of too much doubts.
For example, when prayers do not work, the devil is there to take the blame.
The faithful are simply urged to upp their game by giving more money, praying more frequently and being more forceful with the devil.

If perchance, something good happens in the life of the faithful, then it's hurray!, seize the moment and give even more to show gratitude and for continuity.

The religious mind, from what I see all around me, is a burdened mind.
Why would any one want to inherit such a burden?

This is a reason why you should not give your life to God, any God.
Be free today and remain free.

Orunmila said:
Ori laba'bo ka fi Orisha sile
Our consciousness should be honored and not a God

This is one of the most important advice in life.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by macof(m): 3:52pm On Dec 05, 2013
Tharye S.:

The Bible would show u why u should not serve the Bible God

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 3:57pm On Dec 05, 2013
rationalmind:

Thank you jare, I was just about to say that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by plaetton: 4:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4:
You can't explain spiritual phenomenons with physical observations.

Then who can?
And why bother?
We do live in a physical world from birth to death, so why bother with your so-called spiritual mumbo jumbof?
Why not wait till you die?

Do you know where you were before you were born?
Any guess?

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2013
fredx4:
God did through Jesus Christ.

Seems you still don't get it. Man said God did it through Jesus Christ.
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by NativeBoy: 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
plaetton:

As per the bolded, thousands of Fillipinos who believed in Jesus did perish a weeks ago through an act of god incident.
So where was Jesus?
If Jesus/God cannot save the faithful from a tempest storm, then what is the use of faith and prayers?.
So, my point stands that believers in fairy skydaddies carry a much bigger burden than non-believers because aside from praying incessantly for this blessing and that protection, you have to deal with daily agony of ufulfilled expectations from the omni omni sky daddy.

The bold you highlighted is not speaking of fleshly death but spiritual death or the second death. The death of our Filipino brethren is tragic but accepting Jesus doesn't mean that you are then immune to all the bad things in the world. We will all die of something. That's natural. BUT, because many of those Filipinos believe in Jesus, they are now in the presence of God, where their joy is eternal. You see, it depends on perspective. Most people are afraid of death because they see it as final. For the believer, it is the beginning of eternity.

For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. (Romans 14:8 NKJV)
Re: Why You Should Not Give Your Life To God. by Ruq: 9:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
macof:

Orunmila said:
Ori laba'bo ka fi Orisha sile
Our consciousness should be honored and not a God

This is one of the most important advice in life.

I tell you mehn, after consistent reasoning, I came to a conclusion that our Conscience is our God, which has a lot to do with consciousness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Have Converted To A New Religion --- Rev Patrick Emordi / Shiloh 2016 Live – MY CASE IS DIFFERENT / How Death Was Defeated By Orunmila

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.