Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,399 members, 7,830,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? (1508 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by reganvida: 6:17am On Dec 05, 2013
Folks, this a question that has been bothering me. Pls what is the difference between purgatory and hell.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by ckkris: 6:20am On Dec 05, 2013
Just the two sides of a horrible street.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by reganvida: 6:32am On Dec 05, 2013
ckkris: Just the two sides of a horrible street.

You mean they are the same?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by Kei144(m): 7:26am On Dec 05, 2013
Lk. 23:43 Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

2Co. 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know — God knows.
2Co. 12:3 And I know that this man — whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows —
2Co. 12:4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.

Re. 1:18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Re. 6:8 I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him.
They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Lk. 16:19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day.
Lk. 16:20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores
Lk. 16:21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
Lk. 16:22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried.
Lk. 16:23 In hell, [Greek: Hades] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.
Lk. 16:24 So he called to him, `Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

I have reason to think that Purgatory is the same with Paradise, where Jesus and the thief on the cross went to after they died. Paradise (or Purgatory) is a section of Hades, the holding place of spirit of the dead. These seem to be two sections of Hades; Paradise for the righteous dead and another section for the wicked.

Re. 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

It appears that no one goes from earth straight to heaven; even Jesus didn't do that. A human spirit first goes to Paradise where he is made perfect and thus qualified to eat from the tree of life. Eating from the tree of life is actually the same thing as entering heaven.

Re. 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.
Re. 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
Re. 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Human spirits in the other section of Hades will face the great white throne judgment. It is after that final judgment that real hell fire begins. I do not yet know the details of hell fire, because it is not for me.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by reganvida: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2013
what i actually need is to know if purgatory and hell is one or if they are different.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 05, 2013
They both mean the same thing: refuse dump,nothing else!

But so far, hell has mostly been used as a metaphor. Like if you are in a good living condition,you consider it heaven and if opposite,hell. They are both states of mind,no in between.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by reganvida: 11:22am On Dec 05, 2013
ifeness: They both mean the same thing: refuse dump,nothing else!

But so far, hell has mostly been used as a metaphor. Like if you are in a good living condition,you consider it heaven and if opposite,hell. They are both states of mind,no in between.

I dont understand, do you mean they are both states of mind in that they dont exist or your saying Heaven and hell are both at two ends with no purgatory in between?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by amaralizzy40y: 11:42am On Dec 05, 2013
Notin lyk purgatory so there is no difference btw them.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Purgatory And Hell? by reganvida: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
Notin lyk purgatory so there is no difference btw them.

Thats what i have been expecting to hear. Either it doesn't exist or the differance. Buh pls can you give me reasons why you think it doesnt exist.

(1) (Reply)

The Way Some Atheists Behave / What Type Of Reality Do You Accept And For What Reasons?.... / Photo: Questions To Seun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.