Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,076 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (8624 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / 5 Birthday Gift You Must Present To Jesus Christ Today. / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 26, 2012
The Roman Catholic teaching concerning the existence of an intermediate state between Heaven and Hell called Purgatory, is an absolute INSULT to Jesus Christ. Why? Because there is NOTHING else that needs to be done, that Christ has not already accomplished at the cross! The Roman Catholic Priest will say a Catholic Mass for the “poor souls” in Purgatory so that they might shorten their time there before moving on to Heaven. That teaching is nowhere to be found in the Bible, and it sugarcoats and waters down the warnings that Jesus Christ gave when he walked this earth! Tune in to this short video to learn more.

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnce7sK309M?version=3&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by LogicMind: 12:26am On Mar 27, 2012
how fast does the soul travel?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:12am On Mar 27, 2012
@frosbel
I will give u d same reply I gave to Johniezm

My dear friend purgatory exists and it is implied in several bible passages.
In 1 pet 3:19 it is called prison.Souls of some of those who perished in Noah's flood where kept in dis prison till the time Jesus died when He came 2 preach 2 them as clearly indicated in 1 pet 3:19-21,1 pet 4:6

U will also find inferences like in 1 cor 15:29,2cor 1:18 and 1 john 5:17 where prayers and baptism for the dead were encouraged as u can see st Paul praying for mercy for his dead friend Onesiphorous
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by ikhideman(m): 6:06pm On Mar 27, 2012
@ Chukwudi

Frosbel is right on point!! After going thru' the Scriptural References you outlined, its obvious you are misquoting & interpreting scripture wrongly by taking verses out of context; I wonder what your motive is?? 2 Timothy 2:15 says that we should "rightly divide the word of truth"!

Please accept Jesus' Work & repent(change your way of thinking); then let the Holy Spirit help you while you study the Word of God.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 27, 2012
@ Ikhidiman

Could you please interpret 1 pet 3 :19-21 .What is this "PRISON" st Peter was talking about?.Why did Jesus go 2 preach the gospel to those who have died?

Why don't u interpret this simple bible passages b4 spewing rubbish

To my earlier post I actually meant 2Tim 1:18 not 2 Cor 1:18 where Paul prayed 4 his dead friend onesiphorous
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by buzugee(m): 7:09pm On Mar 27, 2012
chukwudi44: @ Ikhidiman

Could you please interpret 1 pet 3 :19-21 .What is this "PRISON" st Peter was talking about?.Why did Jesus go 2 preach the gospel to those who have died?

To my earlier post I actually meant 2Tim 1:18 not 2 Cor 1:18 where Paul prayed 4 his dead friend onesiphorous
chukwudi44: @ Ikhidiman

you are misinterpreting scriptures

1 pet 3 vs 19-21 - the prison here is the prison of darkness that all spirits who are detached from God are. when the israelites fell, they were the guiding light on earth. so when they fell, the earth was plunged into darkness. the lord removed his protection from them (isaiah 5 vs 5 and 7) (psalms 80 vs 12). The lord stopped dealing with them and hence their spirits were locked in a prison of isolation and detachment and disconnect. christ came to release their spirits from that prison of isolation and to reconnect them to God.

but yeah the answer to your question lies in ecclesiastes 12 vs 7. spirits dont go into no purgatory when you die. they return back to the lord to rest. even the spirit of the wicked return to the lord to rest job 3 vs 13-19
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 27, 2012
grin
buzugee: you are misinterpreting scriptures

1 pet 3 vs 19-21 - the prison here is the prison of darkness that all spirits who are detached from God are. when the israelites fell, they were the guiding light on earth. so when they fell, the earth was plunged into darkness. the lord removed his protection from them (isaiah 5 vs 5 and 7) (psalms 80 vs 12). The lord stopped dealing with them and hence their spirits were locked in a prison of isolation and detachment and disconnect. christ came to release their spirits from that prison of isolation and to reconnect them to God.

but yeah the answer to your question lies in ecclesiastes 12 vs 7. spirits dont go into no purgatory when you die. they return back to the lord to rest. even the spirit of the wicked return to the lord to rest job 3 vs 13-19
buzugee:
you are misinterpreting scriptures

1 pet 3 vs 19-21 - the prison here is the prison of

darkness that all spirits who are detached from God are. when the israelites fell, they were the guiding light on earth. so when they fell, the earth was plunged into darkness. the lord removed his protection from them (isaiah 5 vs 5 and 7) (psalms 80 vs 12). The lord stopped dealing with them and hence their spirits were locked in a prison of isolation and detachment and disconnect. christ came to release their spirits from that prison of isolation and

to reconnect them to God.

grin
Frosbel over 2 u I can't stop laughinh
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by ikhideman(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
@ Chukwudi

The 2Tim.1:18 you quoted isn't relevant to our discussion.

Please I'm not here to argue about what the Holy Spirit wrote; its only Him (the Holy Spirit) that can help you understand the scriptures by catching the "spirit" of what is written therein;the LETTER kills but the Spirit gives Life (2Cor.3:6). You can't use head knowledge to understand scriptures.

Cheers
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
@ikhidimen

What makes you think 2 Tim 1:18 is not relevent to this topic?why don't u Answer my questions

Who on earth makes you think I used to head knowlege to interpret these scriptures? When a bible passage goes against your protestant doctrines you claim one is merely using head knowlege.Why don't you ask the holy spirit to help you answer those questions
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by alexleo(m): 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2012
That catholic teaching is nonsense and from the pit of hell. quite a pity a lot of them are burning in hell including their pope because of this nonsense and useless teaching. It is a height of foolishness for somebody to believe that after spending several years on earth without being born again he will then receive some kind of pardon when he dies. the bible have told us that it is appointed once for a man to die, after that judgement. Catholics are messing up. They think God is like Nigerian government where you manipulate your way through. Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Adaeze003(f): 12:19pm On Mar 29, 2012
Hmm all these protestants sef na wa o. Una tire me. This is the second time I'm seeing this topic. So what exactly did Jesus mean when he said ' whosoever sins against the spirit shall have no forgiveness both in this world and in the world to come?' does this not prove that there's still forgiveness outside this world? There are other passages backing up this belief. Anything you wanna know about the catholic church is in the online catholic encyclopedia just Google it and you'll see that there's no catholic tradition that does not have biblical backing. Btw all these traditions did not start today remember that this is the church Jesus and his disciples left behind. And uhm since we all are followers of Christ why not leave Him to be the judge??

For the poster above me may God forgive You!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
Adaeze003: Hmm all these protestants sef na wa o. Una tire me. This is the second time I'm seeing this topic. So what exactly did Jesus mean when he said ' whosoever sins against the spirit shall have no forgiveness both in this world and in the world to come?' does this not prove that there's still forgiveness outside this world? There are other passages backing up this belief. Anything you wanna know about the catholic church is in the online catholic encyclopedia just Google it and you'll see that there's no catholic tradition that does not have biblical backing. Btw all these traditions did not start today remember that this is the church Jesus and his disciples left behind. And uhm since we all are followers of Christ why not leave Him to be the judge??

you obviously are a proponent of easy believeism.

Jesus Christ did not come to die for our sins, so that we will continue in them, and somehow mitigate for this by spending a short period in a fictional place called Purgatory , after which we automatically jump into heaven, lol . grin

The soul that sinneth, my bible says, shall die !!! Not die, live, die, live.

The number of heresies Rome has propagated over the years is directly proportional to the intensity of punishment she will receive at the hands of the Almighty.

Quit living a lie, if you live in SIN as a way of life, you will DIE !!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
Adaeze003: Hmm all these protestants sef na wa o. Una tire me. This is the second time I'm seeing this topic. So what exactly did Jesus mean when he said ' whosoever sins against the spirit shall have no forgiveness both in this world and in the world to come?' does this not prove that there's still forgiveness outside this world? There are other passages backing up this belief. Anything you wanna know about the catholic church is in the online catholic encyclopedia just Google it and you'll see that there's no catholic tradition that does not have biblical backing. Btw all these traditions did not start today remember that this is the church Jesus and his disciples left behind. And uhm since we all are followers of Christ why not leave Him to be the judge??

you obviously are a proponent of easy believeism.

Jesus Christ did not come to die for our sins, so that we will continue in them, and somehow mitigate for this by spending a short period in a fictional place called Purgatory , after which we automatically jump into heaven, lol . grin

The soul that sinneth, my bible says, shall die !!! Not die, live, die, live.

The number of heresies Rome has propagated over the years is directly proportional to the intensity of punishment she will receive at the hands of the Almighty.

Quit living a lie, if you live in SIN as a way of life, you will DIE !!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 29, 2012
@frosbel
Answer d questions I raised and stop blabbing.Tell me why Jesus went to preach 2 d souls in "PRISON"?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by ikhideman(m): 2:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
chukwudi44: @ikhidimen

What makes you think 2 Tim 1:18 is not relevent to this topic?why don't u Answer my questions

Who on earth makes you think I used to head knowlege to interpret these scriptures? When a bible passage goes against your protestant doctrines you claim one is merely using head knowlege.Why don't you ask the holy spirit to help you answer those questions

Chukwudi:

Like I said earlier, its not a matter thats disputable. The 2Tim.1:18 you are quoting states as follows:

"May the Lord show him(Onesiphorus) him special kindness on the day of Christ's return. And you know very well how helpful he was in Ephesus." (New Living Translation)

The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.(KJV)

Now how does the above verse relate to 'purgatory' Even from the preceding three verses don't mention or even imply this so-called "purgatory", which in my opinion is a doctrine of men (or to put it truthfully - demons)-1Tim.4:1

God's Word wasn't given for people to argue over, it was "given for/useful to teach us what is True and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work"(2Tim.3:16-17)

END OF MATTER! smiley

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by ikhideman(m): 2:31pm On Mar 29, 2012

Adaeze:

Its better you drop Religion(Catholic Beliefs),follow Jesus & accept what he has done (as explained in the Gospels & Epistles). Once you leave this side of heaven, you'd either be in heaven or hell, there's NOTHING IN-BETWEEN, & THERE'S NO BIBLICAL BACKING FOR PURGATORY.

What the poster directly above you wrote is the TRUTH (though written too harshly).

Please Accept & Confess Jesus as your Lord & Saviour (if you haven't done so).

Cheers.....

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
@Ikhidiman

St Paul was obviously praying for the soul of a dead man.Why do you think he would do that if he did not believe in salvation after death.

Why don't you also explain d other bible passages I posted?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 29, 2012
The fact remains that purgatory is mentioned in the bible as "PRISON" in 1 pet 3:19-21
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 3:47pm On Mar 29, 2012
I don't know why none of the protestants that are attacking the notion of purgatory just don't simply address the verses that chukwudi has posted up. It is a straightforward matter.

Only Ikhideman address ONE of the verses and that is because he felt that he could twist it so it didn't support Chukwudi's point. Chukwudi's point is simple. Why pray for somebody who has already died if his fate is already sealed after death. Paul prays obviously because he believe that something can still be done to further redeem the dead after they are gone. This is such a simple and obvious point.

Well done, Mr buzugee, and thank you for the light entertainment. As for the rest of those who do not realise that he is joking, take note that the nation of Israel was not even in existence at the time of Noah and the Peter passage talks about people being imprisoned from the time of Noah. So whatever sins the Israelites committed, it has nothing to do with the issue.

As for everybody else, instead of foaming at the mouth and cursing Catholicism, why not just go and study the verses that Chukwudi has brought to your attention. Study the Letter and the Spirit and then come back with a commentary or opinion on the verses. One that is actually valid, not jest like buzugee gave us.

If there is nothing after death then Jesus must have been deluded to go and preach to nothing. Unless Peter (or who wrote that letter) was deluded to say that Jesus went to preach to nothing. Why would he preach if it was already too late for them to be saved?

I think that there is too much arrogance in christianity and it often based on an insecurity and a need to buttress the shaky foundations of one's faith. This is precisely the attitude to religion that causes wars. Anyhow, let me not go on too much.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 3:48pm On Mar 29, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44,

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 4:04pm On Mar 29, 2012
i will appreciate that asnswers to my post above should not include sentiments as to why i give these answers,or trying to insert religious views that share my answer, pls lets hit the point straight,to minimise time,and let us try not to divert from the topic,
also any assertions we make should be backed by at least a bible verse,thats for your cooperation.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 29, 2012
@realberni

The fate of the angels you mentioned were explicitly stated in 2 pet:4 "God did not spare the angels who sinned but threw them into hell where they are kept in chained in darkness waiting FOR THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT"

It is obvious from the passage above that there are to wait for the judgement day.The last time I checked we re still expecting the judgement day.

If I were to infere from your post you obviously agree in salvation for angels after death but not for humans!!!The last time I checked Jesus died for us humans and not angels
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2012
Peter 3:19-21
King James Version (KJV)
9By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

If this bible passage was talking about angels and not humans it would also imply that the eight souls that were saved would also be angels abi?
But we all know that the eight souls mentioned in that passage are as mentioned in Genesis 7:13 "On that same day Noah and his wife went into the boat with their three sons Shem,Ham and Japheth and their wives"

As you can see these eight souls mentioned in this passage are humans and not angels.This is a definite pointer that this passage does not refer to angels but rather to humans
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 29, 2012
@real berni

I would also like you to interpret this bible passages
1 cor 15:29

Now what about those people who are baptised on behalf of the dead. What do they hope to accomplish?if it is true as some claim that the dead are not raised to life,why are those people being baptised for the dead.

1John 5:-16-17

If you see your brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death,you should pray to God who will give them life.This applies to those whoose sins do not lead to death.But there is a sin which lead to death and I do not say you should pray to God about that.ALL WRONGDOINGS IS SIN, BUT THERE IS SIN WHICH DOES NOT LEAD TO DEATH
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2012
1 Peter 4:5-6

New International Version (NIV)

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

The above above passage makes it abundantly clear that the spirits mentioned in the earlier passage refers to souls of humans who perished in Noah's flood
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by alexleo(m): 8:21pm On Mar 29, 2012
[/b]
ikhideman:

Adaeze:

Its better you drop Religion(Catholic Beliefs),follow Jesus & accept what he has done (as explained in the Gospels & Epistles). [b]Once you leave this side of heaven, you'd either be in heaven or hell, there's NOTHING IN-BETWEEN, & THERE'S NO BIBLICAL BACKING FOR PURGATORY.

What the poster directly above you wrote is the TRUTH (though written too harshly).

Please Accept & Confess Jesus as your Lord & Saviour (if you haven't done so).

Cheers.....

Well wether harsh or no harsh I ve told them the truth and i ll keep saying it. The world likes to hear cheap gospel. How can God give someone a whole number of years to live for him in righteousness and the person keeps messing up in sin, when he now dies, one s priest will now start praying NONSENSE prayer for the person to be forgiven and accepted in heaven. Thats a height of foolish and senseless belief which i can never speak against in cool tone.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 9:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44

pls, seem you mix things up a bit,until we are through with 1 peter 3:19-21,before we can steadily go further, but let me make it clearer;

It is obvious from the passage above that there are to wait for the judgement day.The last time I checked we re still expecting the judgement day.

the bible verse (2peter 2:4)did not neccesarily mention 'the common judgement day' which is meant for the ressurection of the human dead.
but did mention that the 'spirit Angels' were reserved 'unto judjement',not 'judgement day'. where they are kept, that is,the custudy where they are 'awaiting their trial' is the prison.

remember that angels are reffered to as spirits,and not 'souls' see proofs below,

King James Version (KJV)
7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
'souls' were used for 'living humans'

you are the only one that has only replace 'spirit in prison' to 'souls' in prison, that is not what bible teach sir.

chukwudi44,quote
If I were to infere from your post you obviously agree in salvation for angels after death but not for humans!!!The last time I checked Jesus died for us humans and not angels

noo,i never agree in salvation for angels after death,because they are 'spirits'already.that is your own assertion.

chukwudi44
If this bible passage was talking about angels and not humans it would also imply that the eight souls that were saved would also be angels abi?
as i have pointed out earlier, you have confused 'spirit' for 'souls' Angels are spirits (Hebrews 1:7;7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits)

while souls were used for 'living humans' noah and his household,its clearer now!.

Angels are the disobedience 'spirits in prison' or custudy awaiting 'judgemement,

the other disbedient souls has perished with the flood,and does not exist anywhere,the disobedient souls are dead! confirm it from your bible that soul that sinneth dies Exekiel 18:4,20 it will be strange to you,unfortunately thats what bible says clearly below;
Ezekiel 18:4
King James Version (KJV)
4Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

chukwudi44,
1 Peter 4:5-6

New International Version (NIV)

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

The above above passage makes it abundantly clear that the spirits mentioned in the earlier passage refers to souls of humans who perished in Noah's flood

νεκρός

nekros

nek-ros'
the hebrew word used here for dead nek_ros' unfortunately used is not what you think,it is used differently, ,check the same use of 'dead' nek-ros' below Matthew 8:22
King James Version (KJV)
22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
let me ask, can a dead bury dead? or souls in prison bury theirself? it shows a figurative usage,

you seem to pick this particular bible verse 'out from the point' peter was making to the christian gentiles and jews ,

and to prove this, lets read it from verse one to that verse 6;

1 Peter 4:1-6,

1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

2That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Peter is talking about those that are spiritually dead – that is, have no understanding of Gods will for what ever reason. They become spiritually alive or active when by the grace of God they accept our Lord Jesus as their saviour by means of the ransom(1 pet.verse 1-3)

Ephesians 2:1-5

“1 And you hath he made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 In which in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our manner of life in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ, (by grace ye are savedwink” (Revised Webster's Version) Before we accepted Jesus ransom we are under the curse of Adams sin and death awaits (verse 1) and Paul was saying that even though they were in the flesh they had been awaken in a spiritual way.

summary,

1#1 peter 4:6 was not reffering to the issue concerning noah and eight souls or the angelic spirits that sinned and kept 'in prison' for judgement.

2#1 peter 4:6 but dead as used in the paragraph agrees with the point made in previous verses 1-3, 'those that are spiritually dead' ephesian 2:5 throws more light, (5 Even when [size=12pt]we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ,
(by grace ye are savedwink
peter was actually reffering to 'preaching to sinners' read the idea from 1 pet 4:1-5.it does not have any connection whatsoever with 1 peter 3:19-21, totally different broth
er.
[/size]

chukwudi44

I would also like you to interpret this bible passages
1 cor 15:29

Now what about those people who are baptised on behalf of the dead. What do they hope to accomplish?if it is true as some claim that the dead are not raised to life,why are those people being baptised for the dead.

1John 5:-16-17

If you see your brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death,you should pray to God who will give them life.This applies to those whoose sins do not lead to death.But there is a sin which lead to death and I do not say you should pray to God about that.ALL WRONGDOINGS IS SIN, BUT THERE IS SIN WHICH DOES NOT LEAD TO DEATH

since this one deals more on baptism,a different issue,i will expound on that but lets reach a conclusion in the above discussion first,dont let us mix things up,at least for people following the tread too.

cheers,[/b]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Adaeze003(f): 1:57am On Mar 30, 2012
I only brought up a point stated clearly in the bible and instead of answering the question i asked you peeps are babbling. Lol. You know what? Why don't we all focus on Jesus and follow him instead of telling people where to worship? I mean who r u to tell what belief is an insult to Jesus? I've noticed that what some protestants do these days is to say come to my church instead of to say 'follow Jesus' is this right?? Even when they know you are a Christian. What is your own definition of Christianity? Will the fact that you are not a catholic take you to heaven?? Lets focus on what us important and recruit people for Jesus and not for church. I rest my case!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 3:20am On Mar 30, 2012
so the metaphorical use of the word 'dead' in matthew must now be automatically applied to 2Peter too. Na wa o! All this strengthens my arguments about the lack of rigour in interpretations.

When Jesus says that The God of Abraham Isaac and Esau cannot be the god of the dead, what does that say about the patriarchs?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by buzugee(m): 4:26am On Mar 30, 2012
Frosbel and Joagbaje done went AWOL from nairaland. come on guys, we miss your scriptural knowledge. PROVERBS 27 VS 17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:58am On Mar 30, 2012
@passtorAIO

passtorAIO,QUOTE

When Jesus says that The God of Abraham Isaac and Esau cannot be the god of the dead, what does that say about the patriarchs?

can you kindly prove the bible verse that mention God of Abraham Isaac and Esau'to support your claim,
its very important because we want to establish 'what the bible teaches' and it can be done by quoting correctly bible verses to support our claims.
i have pointed it out before my last post of which you responded to,that 'any assertion should be backed up by at least a bible verse',that is the only way we can learn,because bible 'interpretes itself'.
so, show us where you Got God of Abraham Isaac and Esau so as to learn from you as a pastor.
thanks
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2012
[/quote]
he bible verse (2peter 2:4)did not neccesarily mention 'the common judgement day' which is meant for the ressurection of the human dead.
but did mention that the 'spirit Angels' were reserved 'unto judjement',not 'judgement day'. where they are kept, that is,the custudy where they are 'awaiting their trial' is the prison
[quote]

You are introducing your own teaching which is alien to the bible.The scriptures never told us we have 2 judgement day.One for angels and the other for humans.

remember that angels are reffered to as spirits,and not 'souls' see proofs below,

Spirits and souls are used interchangeably in the bible.Besides spirits were also used to describe human as in the case of samuel when saul consulted the medium at endor

you are the only one that has only replace 'spirit in prison' to 'souls' in prison, that is not what bible teach sir.

Some bible translations use souls in place of spirits and souls and vice versa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Funny Religious Comics / What You Should Do Everyday As A Christian /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.