Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,719 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway (13888 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Passengers At Abuja Airport Sleep Under Turkish Airline Plane / Protesting Passengers Block Arik Air Flight At Abuja Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by enigmang: 2:51pm On Dec 05, 2013
DonColz1: In Stella Oduah Voice "this is the handwork of God" he is trying to block other planes from crashing

Dude she never said "this is the handwork of God" if you want to mock at least mock correctly..

[b]An Act of God [/b]is a legal term for events outside human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by enigmang: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2013
chucky234: Why one runway with all the overhyped remodelling going on, an international airport is suppose to have four runways and not one.

We wabi show expert for everything….

what would Abuja airport use 4-runways for?? wet the traffic…. Manchester airport has just 2 .. gatwick has 1...
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by Burger01(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
I wonder if a Nigerian plane would be treated as such. Please push the plane off the airstrip and allow other planes to operate. Awww c'mon!

How could an international airport have just a single runway?

Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by tigerleggs(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
slightlyMad:

sure, thats why the Pro-Oduah group created the thread.

64,000,000,000 naira to build just 1 runway that will start "leaking" days after it is completed, dont you see that it is inflated already?
that money will build an airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport which is Malaysia's main international airport and one the major airport of South East Asia
It was ranked the 9th busiest airport in the world by international passenger traffic, and is the 4th busiest international airport in Asia
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_Lumpur_International_Airport

was built with 3.5 billion USD approximately 540 billion naira and has 2 parallel runways, each is 2 kilometers long
Our greedy mistress want to build a single "local standard" 700 meters runway for 64 Billion naira

person wey her coffin go still crash last last.
pls ma, educate us on the types of aircraft that land and depart ur 2Km long runways. Abi u mean airstrips?
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by rabalord(m): 5:37pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pls any update on this? This is disrupting my entire agenda for the day
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by jcshols: 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: That is impossible. International airports have multiple runways for precisely that reason. If a runway is unusable there usually are two parallel sets aligned N-S and E-W to give airlift assist with tailwind for departing and headwind for landing. So at minimum there will be four. If one is blocked what happened to other three?

That is sooo false. Abuja may not have the traffic that warrants buildin anoda runway but then it isn't MANDATORY that international airport has several rwys. Tailwind DOESN'T give u "airlift assist" as u put it,it instead increases ur take off distance. You take off into d wind(headwind)except when d wind isn't strong enuf 2 serzly affect ur take off distance.Physically speakin,there's only 1 rwy @ABV but in aviation terms,there r 2 runways(each of d 2 ends of d physical runway is actually referred to as a runway by the pilot).
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by Meddler(f): 7:21pm On Dec 05, 2013
does this mean that local flights can Still take off? I need a flight for tomorrow morning
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by MayorofLagos(m): 8:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
naptu2:

The National Assembly blocked proposals for a (64 billion naira) 2nd runway, saying that it's too expensive (I think that they thought that the contract was inflated).

Hm! Who knows if this is an attempt to get them to change their minds?

Naptu,

ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) has standards which airports designated and licensed for international commuter operations anywhere in the world must meet. Part of that is the sets I mentioned earlier to have headwind and tailwind aerodynamics for planes taking off or arriving. Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja is not an airstrip; it's a standard gauge international airport.

There is something else going on, the problem is equipment failure at the airport. NAVAIDS (Navigational Aids) are ground electronic equipments that assist pilots in landing and take off. There are two flight operation methods - visual and instrument. Because commercial jet pilots fly under instrument rules, particularly when they are in approach, as much as five miles or more from an airport, they depend on ground electronics to guide their touchdown. If those electronics fail or are in operation but giving incorrect readings then we can have catastrophy on the ground.
In that case, the number of runways is irrelevant, the airport must be shut down until the NAVAIDS are restored and calibrated for correct readout.

I strongly believe there are issues with Abuja NAVAIDS and would explain why the Saudi Plane is unable to leave and no other plane can leave or come in.

The legislative action not to expand the runways may just be talking about adding more to the minimum sets initially built when the airport received its operation license. Thanks for sharing that angle.
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by VULCAN(m): 8:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
grandlexuz: Make de pilot put de plane for gear 2, then de pusham, e go start nor!

My sides are aching me from laughter. OMG
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by VULCAN(m): 9:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
@SlightyMad

You have to go back to the drawing board because the example you quoted supports the N64B runway.

The KL runway is 8 1/2 times the cost yet only 3 times the length of the proposed Abj 2nd runway. Sorry but your proving the cost as being reasonable.

You need a better example bros
slightlyMad:

sure, thats why the Pro-Oduah group created the thread.

64,000,000,000 naira to build just 1 runway that will start "leaking" days after it is completed, dont you see that it is inflated already?
that money will build an airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport which is Malaysia's main international airport and one the major airport of South East Asia
It was ranked the 9th busiest airport in the world by international passenger traffic, and is the 4th busiest international airport in Asia
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_Lumpur_International_Airport

was built with 3.5 billion USD approximately 540 billion naira and has 2 parallel runways, each is 2 kilometers long
Our greedy mistress want to build a single "local standard" 700 meters runway for 64 Billion naira

person wey her coffin go still crash last last.
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by MayorofLagos(m): 9:13pm On Dec 05, 2013
Guess what?? You guys are right, it has only 1 runway. Naptu, I take that back.

How did this airport get international status? Go and check it out on google earth.

Here is more info.

Runways at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport

04/22 11,842 x 197 ft (3,609 x 60 m) — paved — lightedMembers can add and update runway information.

Aviation weather for Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport

Current conditions (METAR) for Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport

Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
Alot of things has been left untouched in this country, looters are looting, robbers are robbing, kidnappers are kidnapping.. I think its better we go back to the drawing board alot needs to be done before we loose everything we've worked for!!

Lets Stand up for what is ours, we can't sit down and watch things crumbling and falling apart!!!

Only the wise ones will understand...
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by naptu2: 9:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Guess what?? You guys are right, it has only 1 runway. Naptu, I take that back.

How did this airport get international status? Go and check it out on google earth.

Here is more info.

I was about to post satellite pictures of NAA and MMIA so you'll see the runways (no, I'm not Musiwa smiley ). It's also confirmed on the airport's website and on wikipedia.

That's why there was a massive debate about the second runway project.
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by MayorofLagos(m): 9:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
naptu2:

I was about to post satellite pictures of NAA and MMIA so you'll see the runways (no, I'm not Musiwa smiley ). It's also confirmed on the airport's website and on wikipedia.

That's why there was a massive debate about the second runway project.

Yes, I should have checked that before I spoke. I went to look after a second thought on your comment and sure enough there it was, just one!

Thanks for raising that point. I think someone else was saying you are musiwa, not me.
Re: Abuja Airport Shut As Saudi Plane Blocks Runway by seangy4konji: 10:59pm On Dec 05, 2013
if they want to do another runway?it will give thievning STELLA ODUAH another chance to loot our money....NIGERIA MONEY SHE HAS BEEN STEALING!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Agony, Disquiet As Calabar-bakassi Road Collapses Again / Arik Air Sacks Pilots Who Embarked On Strike / Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 26)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.