Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,357 members, 7,853,586 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:36 PM

I Play Football Just To Make Money - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Play Football Just To Make Money (800 Views)

Does Anybody Know Why India Don't Play Football Like Other Countries / The Only Way To Make A Woman Play Football / Nigeria's Uche Given Green Light To Play Football Again: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Play Football Just To Make Money by smile4kenn(m): 6:06am On Jul 26, 2008
Nigerian-born Al Hilal of Sudan consummate attacker, Ifeanyi Onuigbo, has vowed to maintain the killer instinct he displayed in last Friday’s CAF Champions League tie against Enyimba International.

Onuigbo, who shone like a million stars in the encounter in which he came in the second half, revealed that players are well motivated in the Sudanese League to give their best whenever they are to play.

“In Sudan, players are well motivated to give their best unlike what obtains in Nigeria. You can imagine a situation whereby you are paid over N850,000 as monthly salary alone. That does not include your match bonuses and other allowances.

“For beating Enyimba, we were paid US$5,000 and the money was paid on time. The salaries are paid promptly. Here, whatever the club agree to pay a player is paid as and when due. Nobody owes you any thing, whether it is salary or match bonus. So, the players are always motivated to give their best at all times,” he explained.

Onuigbo, who was a member of both the home-based Super Eagles as well as the Beach Soccer Eagles before his move to Al Hilal late last year, would be glad if Super Eagles’ Coach, Shaibu Amodu would give him a look in. But the light-skinned aggressive player told Saturday Sunsport that he had his sights set at oil-rich Qatar or Europe, where he hopes to make money from the round leather game.
“I won’t mind getting a call-up to the Super Eagles’ team. I’m ready to fight for a jersey if given the opportunity. But I am more interested in making money now that I’m playing my best game.

“I know that the CAF Champions League matches are on television. I want to use this rare opportunity to showcase my talent in order to attract the attention of clubs in Europe. I even have my eyes on the oil-rich Qatar. As an Arab nation, I know they show a lot of interest in Sudanese football. I wouldn’t mind going there to play and make money like Austin Jay Jay Okocha did. I wouldn’t want to struggle again after my football career,” he reasoned.

Meanwhile, the former Sunshine Stars of Akure player has remained the toast of the Sudanese soccer fans since his last week’s heroic feat against Enyimba. More than a week after the encounter, he has continued to receive cash and other material gifts from the appreciative fans.
“I have not rested for a moment since after the match against Enyimba. I have received uncountable gifts, including cash, from fans in appreciation of my performance in the match, particularly, for scoring the winning goal.

“I receive calls from different individuals and companies inviting me for awards and to receive their gifts. That is the culture here in Sudan. They are such a wonderful people,” he said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2008/july/26/sportsbreak-26-07-2008-001.htm

(1) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger Blasts Poor Wembley Pitch After Arsenal Defeat / Create New Goal.com Logo And Win $2,500 / Roger Federer Wins Wonbledon-drop Your Congratulatory Message Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.