Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) (3294 Views)

Random Campus True Life Stories . / My Days As An OAU Fresher - True Life Story / Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) by 0393: 4:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
“I was wondering if you would like to go to prom with me” I was holding the side of my trousers so she would not see me shaking. She smiled again, took her time smiling and I took mine shaking. I could read her mouth she was about to say yes

“Can I give you my answer tomorrow?”

Are you stupid? What else do you want from me? I almost said. She gave me a hint to ask her out and now she is playing hard to get. What sort of rubbish is that? I was certain she wanted to say yes, very certain

“You can” I replied. I should have said no. She left for her hostel while I went back to mine. I could sense another sleepless night for me.

“Tunde I ate out of the smarties “Ife a lanky girl said

“Which smarties?”

“The one you gave bimpe”

“Who is bimpe?” I joked.

She pointed out of the window and showed bimpe to me. There she was with another boy as usual. This was becoming a fairly common occurrence. I was tired of getting jealous. There was a sort of complex love triangle, it was not even a triangle, it was more of a love zigzag that involved me, bimpe and some other people.ife liked a boy tayo, tayo liked bimpe, bimpe liked me .I think she liked tayo at some point in time too. i liked bimpe, ore liked me. There was also a time ife liked me. So it was really complex. Bimpe was moving close to where I was but ife didn’t move.

“You are reading after exams”

“I want to finish a textbook for the first time in my life”

“Really, I have finished several…and my answer is yes” she said leaving with ife. They were of the same height. Yes I thought to myself, yes for what. It took me a time to realize that it was the answer to my prom question. In fact the boy I saw her talking to was trying to ask her out and she gave him his no immediately before telling me my yes. Some hours after a lot of my mates started to question us. It took them by surprise because of my good boy status. My teachers were surprised.ore stopped talking to me for a while and made life a living hell for bimpe. It was though for both of us but we had each others back.i was not going to let anyone break us apart.

Hmm prom night, the most anticipated night of our entire six years in school. A night, whose tale had been whispered by students from generations to generations. We as juniors in the dead of the night, scaled through windows to invade the prom of our seniors. There were lots of reasons not to miss prom almost free food and drinks, music, dance. To some it was the last social outing we would have together as students in the school. It had occupied our minds for months. For me, it was going to be a different night, it was going to be the night to crown my three wonderful years in a great school. Sometimes when I think of it, meeting her must have been orchestrated by a divine force. If I had the opportunity to choose where to spend my secondary school years in my next life, it will be with her. We all arrived two days before prom after the school had forced us to go on a week break. During that break I had talked to bimpe a few times over the phone in a bid to get to know ourselves better. Most of the time when talking to her, I don’t usually know what to say. I just keep quiet in adoration of the way she talked intelligently. It got to a point that I started to write the things I wanted to say to her on paper an hour before she will call me. Even when we talk on the phone, my heart rate increases so much I get scared she will hear it over at her house. The last time we spoke, we agreed that I should call her when I get to school so she will come and join me there to prevent me from getting bored and stop all those boyfriend snatchers from whisking me away. I did call her but I could not get myself to go and meet her when I saw her in front of the admin block. I could see her trying to dial my number so I switched off my phone.

I wore a green patterned shirt, black trousers, and a white and green shoe. Green was her best colour so we thought it would be nice for both of us to wear the same colour of garment. I went to the prom venue early, most boys did anyway that way it will be easy to sight your date since their hostel is close to the venue and would not want to come out till they see the guys. Not long after the girls started trooping out, I could see bimpe in her long green gown, she was breath taking. We entered the building together and chose a good table for ourselves. The program was about to start when someone told her that her “best friend” a guy was stranded at the gate (why would a girl have a guy as a best friend). She got up from her seat in a jiffy, I had never seen her so concerned for anyone in my life. I was starting to get angry, so angry I decided I was not going to attend the prom again. I waited for her to leave the venue before I left for my hostel. I removed my shoe and shirt in an attempt to sleep but ended up gisting with one of my mates who just came. He told me it would be stupid to miss a program I paid heavily for and dragged me to the venue.

At the venue, our table had turned to a table of five from a table of four because of her best friend. I was still a bit angry but I started to cool down when the best friend didn’t disturb us when we were talking.
In the middle of the program I reached for my pocket and pulled out a silver necklace which had a heart shaped pendant. I had always imagined that I would tell her to close her eyes, move to her back and wear the necklace on her myself and she will act happy when she sees it and hug me. Due to the little anger in me I just handed the necklace to her. She got up immediately and when she came back, she had the necklace on and with a broad smile she said thank you. She invited me to dance with her. After a while, we snapped pictures ate and drank together. The night went better than we both anticipated. It was one of the best nights of my life. During all this, I thought of telling her personally that I liked her. I knew it would not do any good but
I just felt she wanted to hear it, she deserved to hear it. As the prom night came to an end, she thanked me for the wonderful night with her cracked voice, she had lost her voice due to all the shouting.

I called her for another one hour plus after prom, I learnt she slept with the necklace on but I could not get myself to tell her how I felt about her.
Re: Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) by 0393: 4:32pm On Dec 24, 2013
Kusibe77: U almost got me angry , but welcome back . Nice update gimme more

Sorry sire. Thanks for following
Re: Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) by 0393: 4:33pm On Dec 24, 2013
John.jnr:
nice writeup, keep it up...
Thanks for following
Re: Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) by Kusibe77(m): 1:00am On Dec 26, 2013
This ur story reminds me of somtin. Hope she is not dating anoda person(best friend). Nice update though
Re: Love Is Not Like In A Movie;(A TRUE LIFE STORY) by 0393: 10:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
Wow, I am getting to the end of my short story (I bet some of you did not know it is a true story). I am sorry to disappoint if you are hoping for a happy ending and a live happily ever after because this did not end like that. Two days after I graduated, I called her as usual in the midnight and told her how I felt about her and how I would like to go out with her. she wasn’t surprised she asked me why I didn’t tell her while we were in school. I told her it was because I didn’t believe in relationships and I kept convincing myself that I could stop liking her. After a long pause, she said “I would prefer a great friendship to a bad relationship”. I did not know the meaning of her comment at that instance. I thought she meant try harder or something else in that line of thought (like when ladies try to play hard to get). Now that I think of it, I think she told me “NO” as cautiously as she could tell me. Guess I am trying to say she friend zoned my ass. We kept talking for weeks till she got admitted into the university. I can still remember her first text message describing her classmates to me. It was from her I learnt the word “hilarious”. I did not give up on her despite the fact that she stopped calling or texting for some time and would ignore my calls at other times. I was waiting for the right moment to ask her again.

This opportunity came three years after we graduated. Wait a minute, I think I skipped something very important that happened in between, my impetus. The first was during a school reunion barely months after we graduated from school at this point. Our communication was already on and off. I came earlier than her. In fact I did not even know she was going to show up because if I did, I would have been absent. The thing is that for about seventy percent of the whole duration of the program she kept staring at me from her table and was swift to turn her head each time I caught her staring. The second however came during the valedictory service of one of our junior colleagues. As usual I didn’t expect her to come but something told me she would and that same spirit told me to wear her best colour for whatever reason. I got to the venue before her again and immediately she strolled in (we actually wore the same colour of fabric. It was like we had planned it), my heart started pounding heavily despite the fact that I have not seen her for up to two years. she didn’t see me initially because I was with someone else and because I dodged but when I saw that she went to the back and the program was about to close. I tried to escape but she caught me and said“hey tunde, haha! You just want to go like that without greeting us. Are we fighting? I told her I wanted to get something outside (first time I would lie to her). Then she did the hugging stuff and we ended up talking for hours our conversation was about me and also my relationship status (she asked me if I was in a relationship)

I was certain she had feelings for me but it was locked up somewhere but you never can tell so I did not plan to do anything for now. It has been three years since we graduated, five years since I started liking her. Most times, I always motivate myself with the words of priyanka chopra in the film pyaar impossible where she said “Any girl will be madly in love with you for loving her that long” in response to uday chopras confession of liking a girl for 7 years (there I go with Indian films again. I have stopped watching them).I decided to call her again. This time I reminded her of the first time I asked her out and her initial answer and informed her that my feelings had not changed. She was listening with such rapt attention that I thought that fortune had smiled on me. She told me to describe the whole scenario in details. I could swear I heard her smile. When I was true with talking, she relaxed a bit trying to pick her words carefully. She asked me if I was not reflecting on high school memories. She later added that she never thought of me like that, she always thought of me as a friend (she validated my friend zone status).she then said she didn’t know what to say. I was disappointed, the phone conversation had reduced to sounds of our breathing. I decided to break the silence. I told her whenever she has something to say, I will be around to listen to her answer. I called her the next day but the conversation was so weird. We could not talk for more than three minutes. That was when I knew I had to stop. I had lost, my adventure was over. Unlike what most people would have done, I didn’t result to hatred .in fact I appreciate her for providing her with one of the sweetest memories I have. Each time I feel down or sad and I replay the memories I created with her in my head, I become cheerful. I don’t think this write up has any moral story per say, but if you ask me for something that I have learnt from the experience, I would tell you that you must always act very fast and confidently concerning the matters of the heart. I do not intend to send this write up to her, but if she ever comes across it three, ten, twenty, fourty, hundred years from now. I hope she would understand that my intentions for her were always good and I really did like her. I liked her to the extent that my future was built around her but all I lacked according to her words during graduation is the confidence to speak my mind and the courage to show her how much she meant to me. However, due to my curiosity if I ever get to see her again or if she ever gets to read this write up, I would like to know two things. Did she ever like me? If yes, when did she stop? And if no when why was she playing me?

I AM STILL TRYING TO BELIEVE IT IS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST THAN NOT TO HAVE LOVED AT ALL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Appreciate Flashback Techniques In Novels? / @d9ty7stories Fanclub / Can You Answer 100 Questions Everyday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.