Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,653 members, 7,958,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:35 AM

Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote (19181 Views)

Senate suspends plenary till thursday: Acting clerk Nelson Oyewo / Mandela Quote To Nigeria!!! / A Simple Nelson Mandela Quote For APC And PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 06, 2013
1. Education is the most powerful weapon which
you can use to change the world.
2. I learned that courage was not the absence of
fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is
not he who does not feel afraid, but he who
conquers that fear.
3. If you talk to a man in a language he
understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to
him in his language, that goes to his heart.
4. If you want to make peace with your enemy,
you have to work with your enemy. Then he
becomes your partner.
5. There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere,
and many of us will have to pass through the
valley of the shadow of death again and again
before we reach the mountaintop of our desires.
6. A good leader can engage in a debate frankly
and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he and
the other side must be closer, and thus emerge
stronger. You don't have that idea when you are
arrogant, superficial, and uninformed.
7. Let freedom reign. The sun never set on so
glorious a human achievement.
8. No one is born hating another person because
of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his
religion. People must learn to hate, and if they
can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for
love comes more naturally to the human heart
than its opposite.
9. A new society cannot be created by
reproducing the repugnant past, however
refined or enticingly repackaged.
10. I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I
came out of jail, many people embraced me,
including my enemies, and that is what I
normally tell other people who say those who are
struggling for liberation in their country are
terrorists. I tell them that I was also a terrorist
yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very
people who said I was one.
11. Freedom would be meaningless without
security in the home and in the streets.
12. Let there be justice for all. Let there be peace
for all. Let there be work, bread, water and salt
for all. Let each know that for each the body, the
mind and the soul have been freed to fulfil
themselves.
13. The greatest glory in living lies not in never
falling, but in rising every time we fall.
14. After climbing a great hill, one only finds that
there are many more hills to climb.
15. When a man is denied the right to live the
life he believes in, he has no choice but to
become an outlaw.
16. When there is danger, a good leader takes
the front line; but when there is celebration, a
good leader stays in the back of the room.
17. Freedom is indivisible; the chains on any one
of my people were the chains on all of them, the
chains on all of my people were the chains on
me.
18. No one truly knows a nation until one has
been inside its jails. A nation should not be
judged by how it treats its highest citizens but its
lowest ones.
19. Even if you have a terminal disease, you
don't have to sit down and mope. Enjoy life and
challenge the illness that you have.
20. I do not want to be presented as some deity.
I would like to be remembered as an ordinary
human being with virtues and vices.
21. A leader ... is like a shepherd. He stays
behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out
ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing
that all along they are being directed from
behind.
Source: www.ogareports..com/?m=1
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by simplynola(m): 11:18am On Dec 06, 2013
I don't need body guards... am from South Africa. Nelson Mandela
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Memyselfu2009(m): 11:20am On Dec 06, 2013
During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die. Mandela made the is speech on a court trial.

Nelson rolihlahla Mandela a distinguish icon, an international state man,an intellectual colossus and a freedom fighter perexecellence.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Jaywilzee(m): 11:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Energy can neida b created nor destroyed......
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 06, 2013
Banning not only confines one physically, it imprisons one's spirit. It induces a kind of psychological claustrophobia that makes one yearn not only for freedom of movement but spiritual escape.
nelson mandela.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by nagoma(m): 11:23am On Dec 06, 2013
" the struggle is my life. I'll continue fighting for freedom until the end of my days"
Nelson Mandela - June 26 , 1961.

" I have cherished the ideals of a democratic free society in which all people will live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal I hope to live for and see realized. But, my lord, if needs be it is an ideal for which I'm prepared to die".
- Nelson Mandela - speech at treason trial April 20, 1964.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by AdeniyiA(m): 11:24am On Dec 06, 2013
sexymoma: WE ALL OWE A DEATH
u meant 'DEATH DEBT'?
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by akmusty(m): 11:25am On Dec 06, 2013
"AS I WALKED OUT OF THE DOOR TOWARD THE GATE THAT WOULD LEAD TO MY FREEDOM,I KNEW IF I DIDN'T LEAVE MY BITTERNESS AND HATRED BEHIND,I'D STILL BE IN PRISON". - NELSON MANDELA (MADIBA)
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by yorke1: 11:33am On Dec 06, 2013
"A man who knows how to make his wife laugh easily surely going to live a stress free life'' - Mandela
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by LajaLaba: 11:34am On Dec 06, 2013
Mobile phone is not meant for the poor
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by GentleFrank(m): 11:35am On Dec 06, 2013
Very nice thread !
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by ceeceeco: 11:37am On Dec 06, 2013
Poverty is not an accident. Like apartheid, it is Man-made & can be removed by the actions of human beings...@NEL§ON MANDELA# Long live the true African hero. U'll always live 4eva in our hearts. Proudly African...ADIEU!
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by PECO4KING(m): 11:38am On Dec 06, 2013
To all Nigerians in government I pray you learn from this.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by tsmith(f): 11:39am On Dec 06, 2013
"Difficulties break some men but make others. No axe is sharp enough to cut the soul of a sinner who keeps on trying, one armed with the hope that he will rise even in the end."

"If I had my time over I would do the same again. So would any man who dares call himself a man."

"Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people." (Our religious and political leaders should learn from this)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

"Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."

"Lead from the back — and let others believe they are in front."

"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by ceeceeco: 11:42am On Dec 06, 2013
I wish an African team 2 win the world cup in honour of our great african hero...NELSON MANDELA(R.I.P). The Elephants of Côte d'Ivoire. The Super Eagles Of Nigeria. The Black Stars Of Ghana, can do the job in Brazil.

1 Like

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by AdemolaA2: 11:43am On Dec 06, 2013
"I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter," he wrote. "I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds there are many more hills to climb." Nelson Mandela.

May you rest in peace & never face another struggle...
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by ElGideonaire(m): 11:43am On Dec 06, 2013
mine is; it always seems impossible until it is done... R.I.P MANDELA UR WISE WORDS WILL 4 EVA LIVE IN OUR @X
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by PECO4KING(m): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2013
To all Nigerians in government I pray you learn from this.
If you go to S.A both rural area and urban areas are both developed not in Nigeria.

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by AbuRuqayya1(m): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2013
"Education is the most powerful weapon that you can use to change the world"
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by victorv12(m): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2013
Courageous people do not fear forgiving for the sake of peace.
- Nelson Mandela
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by tsmith(f): 11:46am On Dec 06, 2013
Nelson Mandela also used this poem as part of his inaugural speech in 1994, however the poem itself is by Marianne Williamson

Our Deepest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. 
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
 It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.

We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? 
You are a child of God.

Your playing small 
Does not serve the world. 
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking 
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Lilaex: 11:48am On Dec 06, 2013
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” ~ Nelson Mandela
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by woodboi(m): 11:52am On Dec 06, 2013
What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.

trying to get one on is past
where he said when i think about what they did to me on how he feels like getting back to them, but one should always allow is head rule over is heart. RIP ma Hero... Mandiba
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 06, 2013
Many people would have been vengeful after what was done to him.

He was indeed a great human being.

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by sydneyboss(m): 11:56am On Dec 06, 2013
if you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy, then he becomes your partner ~ Nelson Mandela
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Bonnybaby(f): 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2013
“If I had my time over I would do the same again, so would any man who dares call himself a man.” (After being convicted to five years hard labor, November 1962)

"I was made, by the law, a criminal, not because of what I had done, but because of what I stood for, because of what I thought, because of my conscience.” (Statement during trial, 1962)

“I can only say that I felt morally obliged to do what I did.”  (At the opening of his trial, April 20, 1964)

“Social equality is the only basis of human happiness.”  (A letter written on August 1, 1970)

“Difficulties break some men but make others.” (From a letter to wife, Winnie Mandela, from Robben Island, February 1975)

“I came to accept that I have no right whatsoever to judge others in terms of my own customs.” (From his unpublished autobiographical manuscript, 1975)

"Great anger and violence can never build a nation. We are striving to proceed in a manner and towards a result, which will ensure that all our people, both black and white, emerge as victors.” (Speech to European Parliament, 1990)

“Without democracy there cannot be peace.” (South Africa, May 9, 1992)

“We are fighting for a society where people will cease thinking in terms of colour.” (March 8, 1993)

“When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.”  (Interview for Mandela, 1994)

"Reconciliation means working together to correct the legacy of past injustice.”  (December 16, 1995)

"I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)“If I had my time over I would do the same again, so would any man who dares call himself a man.” (After being convicted to five years hard labor, November 1962)

"I was made, by the law, a criminal, not because of what I had done, but because of what I stood for, because of what I thought, because of my conscience.” (Statement during trial, 1962)

“I can only say that I felt morally obliged to do what I did.”  (At the opening of his trial, April 20, 1964)

“Social equality is the only basis of human happiness.”  (A letter written on August 1, 1970)

“Difficulties break some men but make others.” (From a letter to wife, Winnie Mandela, from Robben Island, February 1975)

“I came to accept that I have no right whatsoever to judge others in terms of my own customs.” (From his unpublished autobiographical manuscript, 1975)

"Great anger and violence can never build a nation. We are striving to proceed in a manner and towards a result, which will ensure that all our people, both black and white, emerge as victors.” (Speech to European Parliament, 1990)

“We are fighting for a society where people will cease thinking in terms of colour.” (March 8, 1993)

“When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.”  (Interview for Mandela, 1994)

"Reconciliation means working together to correct the legacy of past injustice.”  (December 16, 1995)

"I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)
“If I had my time over I would do the same again, so would any man who dares call himself a man.” (After being convicted to five years hard labor, November 1962)

"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." (From Long Walk to Freedom, 1995)

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by MrBravo(m): 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2013
"Go and die"
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by HotPotato(m): 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
" Only armchair politicians are immune from committing mistakes. Errors are inherent in political action" - Nelson Mandela.

I saw this, and kept on wondering why someone could tell us that he acts slowly because he doesn't want to make mistakes.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Phiniz(m): 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
,The TRUE saviour, Nelson Mandela, will live on for every in the lives and hearts of millions of people around the world..

For today, he has not died.

He has been resurrected. . [Apartheid: IV:3-8]
,pls find some other pics and ascribe it to him,not that of christ ascension,please...
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Nobody: 12:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
word my brother!
kayusbrown:

My favourite too and I think all Racists and Tribalists on Nairaland should learn from that.
Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Harmvirus(f): 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
My favourite

1 Like

Re: Your Favourite Nelson Mandela Quote by Noneroone(m): 12:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
During my lifetime I have dedicated
myself to this struggle of the African
people. I have fought against white
domination, and I have fought against
black domination. I have cherished the
ideal of a democratic and free society in
which all persons will live together in
harmony and with equal opportunities.
It is an ideal which I hope to live for. But,
my lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for
which I am prepared to die.
(Nelson Mandela)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GEJ'll Be Making A Mistake If He Thinks OBJ'll Forget What Divided Them—Babatope / Presidency Confirms Release Of Abducted Dapchi Girls / Obi: Can a political underdog save Nigeria? - Economist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.