Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 (25004 Views)

Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Nelson Mandela Finally Dropped From Us Terror Watch List / Was Nelson Mandela A Terrorist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by BABSIN(m): 7:34am On Dec 06, 2013
Do You Know That Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch List Until 2008?

Former South African President Nelson Mandela passed away Thursday evening at the age of 95. While he was revered by politicians today as a human rights icon, Mandela remained on the U.S. terrorism watch list until 2008, when then-President George W. Bush signed a bill removing Mandela from it.

Then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called the restrictions a "rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela."

"He had no place on our government's terror watch list, and I'm pleased to see this bill finally become law," then-Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) said in 2008.

South Africa’s apartheid regime designated Mandela’s African National Congress (ANC) as a terrorist organization for its battle against the nation’s legalized system of racial segregation that lasted from 1948 to 1994.

Former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher also described Mandela’s ANC as a “typical terrorist organization” in 1987, refusing to impose sanctions on South Africa’s apartheid regime. President Ronald Reagan did as well.

In 1986, former Vice President Dick Cheney, then a congressman, voted along with 179 other members of the House against a non-binding resolution to recognize the ANC and call on the South African government to release Mandela from prison. The measure finally passed, but not before a veto attempt by Reagan.

In 2000, Cheney maintained that he'd cast the correct vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/05/nelson-mandela-terrorist_n_4394392.html
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by patwilly(m): 8:06am On Dec 06, 2013
Thats shocking!
Edited; Well i registered in 2009 and ordinarily i'd have loved to say "first to comment" for the first time ever!......But i wont! In memory of Madiba, Africa's greatest son and revered elder statesman, i Patwilly do sincerely, with all sense of responsibility, concious of the significance of this remarkable and historic day do declare TODAY a "NON First to Comment Day" on all Nairaland Threads and for a period of 10 days! You heard.....!
Mods.. Defaulters should be hit with a 95 year ban(madiba's age lol)
cc: seun osewa

12 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Sleekydee(m): 8:08am On Dec 06, 2013
Can u imagine.....US na baskard...smh

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 06, 2013
And that's what I call infringement on others right. He was fighting for his people's freedom in his [size=18pt]own[/size] land, territory, threshold, home etc... There were no indications that he was killing innocent people.

Oh! now I understand that they (vultures) felt threatened by his fight for freedom from oppression.

Technically, they are the terrorists, terrorizing him (#Madiba) and his people in their lands.

Such a huge shame.

7 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Licensed2Kill(m): 8:20am On Dec 06, 2013
Yet, it never reduced his value and importance in the eyes of the international community.

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by BABSIN(m): 8:21am On Dec 06, 2013
That is the West for you.

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by micseyi(m): 8:26am On Dec 06, 2013
Dats s shocker. Everyone knew he was one d greatest leaders of dis century. Anyway Rip to a legend. RIP Madiba
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by micseyi(m): 8:38am On Dec 06, 2013
Dats a shocker. Everyone knew he was one d greatest leaders of dis century. Anyway Rip to a legend. RIP Madiba
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by here: 9:52am On Dec 06, 2013
I wasnt there but I have tried to look at that listing,the ANC and PAC both banned in 1960 had their armed youth wing.
The ANC were alittle more cordianted and elightened that even when they were banned made their promising members go abroad not just on exile but to study,check Mbeki and not just any kind of study like one economist enroling for African studies at masters.
Do you know how organised they were? They had root in most African countries and before you blame those who listed them consider that their intentions were not fully accepted by even some African countries that once Zuma was to be deported from Swaziland;except for Obasanjo who received them but no account of them operating a base here maybe he didnt allow that.
Lastly like every group that has emerged the world power has always looked at them with both eyes because they could fall into the wrong hands,do you know some believed Castro had links to him,you know how that can be classified but the consolation is when Scotland campaign for his release started notice how many mayors signed asking he be released.
Know I have not made my points but consider Charles de
Gaulle of France how was looked at as only interested in affairs of his people,Stalin was even given better corporation than him,if he were to be from Africa and had an armed group under his party,trust me he would have been classified.

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by IAMBREEZY: 12:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
This fellows re damned.
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by herkeym001(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Willgates(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
lies upon counter-lies
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by executinal(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
Yes this is the right time to keep them coming.

Rest in peace Nelson Mandela
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 06, 2013
Me too. undecided
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by 1shortblackboy: 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
An oversight maybe ?
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Arouser(m): 12:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
Amazing! Why are they all falling over themselves to give him eulogy? They jailed him for 27 years and that was not enough? Bloody hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Olugbenger(m): 12:17pm On Dec 06, 2013
:oUs?
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by dilim247: 12:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
Many many story don dey come out nw wey d man don die, mk una still leave am mk e REST IN PEACE na!
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Ironi: 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
What fck are you talking about?
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by alingo4life: 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
here: I wasnt there but I have tried to look at that listing,the ANC and PAC both banned in 1960 had their armed youth wing.
The ANC were alittle more cordianted and elightened that even when they were banned made their promising members go abroad not just on exile but to study,check Mbeki and not just any kind of study like one economist enroling for African studies at masters.
Do you know how organised they were? They had root in most African countries and before you blame those who listed them consider that their intentions were not fully accepted by even some African countries that once Zuma was to be deported from Swaziland;except for Obasanjo who received them but no account of them operating a base here maybe he didnt allow that.
Lastly like every group that has emerged the world power has always looked at them with both eyes because they could fall into the wrong hands,do you know some believed Castro had links to him,you know how that can be classified but the consolation is when Scotland campaign for his release started notice how many mayors signed asking he be released.
Know I have not made my points but consider Charles de
Gaulle of France how was looked at as only interested in affairs of his people,Stalin was even given better corporation than him,if he were to be from Africa and had an armed group under his party,trust me he would have been classified.

What is this one saying?

11 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Fazhy: 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
[size=18pt]IMAGINE THAT!!![/size]

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by thaoriginator: 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
Just as some mutulas are tagging the APC of Nigeria terrorist party just cos of tribal, ethnic, religious sentimentalism. To hell with damn hypocrites of this world!
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Lilaex: 12:20pm On Dec 06, 2013
K

2 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by youngice(m): 12:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
[size=2pt]ok[/size]
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by obailala(m): 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
Once your demands and aspirations does not align with the greedy/selfish interest of the west, you are labelled a rogue leader, a sponsor of terrorists or even a full blown terrorist... The Mandela case actually exposed the double standards of the US, hence the comment by Condoleezza Rice that it was "rather embarrassing" for the US

5 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by fingard02k(m): 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
na wa
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by momodub: 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by nora544: 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
That is not a new information, there are many people on this watchlist in america, because america is a country with two faces.

When you are a person they need and when you still a terrorist they will say nothing but when they didnot need you than you will be a terrorist.

I can tell you many names of such people.
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by abdulkayus(m): 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
That is US and d west for u. Double standard countries. A freedom fighter is a terrorist to them. And even margaret thatcher support the apertheid regime too, bt have d gut to shake hand wit him after his release.
There is no greater terrorists like d US and UK, esp d US, bt there terrorism is sublime and also cover up.
God pass una.

4 Likes

Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by bokohalal(m): 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Just saw a replay of the O'Rielly Show on Fox News at 4 am where he labelled Nelson Mandela a communist and wanted his interviewee, Rick Santorum,and the Republican Party to note that before anything else. Santorum had cleverly avoided that. The intent was to diminish Madiba's greatness and Bill O'Rielly could be said to have failed.
Re: Nelson Mandela Was On US Terrorist Watch-List Until 2008 by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
Hope sey obj name no dey there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Story Of Gnassingbe Eyadema, The Dictator Whose Family Ruled Togo For 50 Years / UK, US And Australia Launch Pact To Counter China / Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.