Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" (1301 Views)

Madukar Orji Harassed At MMIA By DSS - Man Alleges / Plane Crash In Lagos At Airport Road MMIA Near Toll Gate / SSS Detain El-rufai At MMIA In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by awodman: 8:37am On Dec 06, 2013

Many passengers, who have passed through the
international terminal of the Murtala Muhammed Airport,
Lagos excoriated the poor air conditioning, incessant power outages and shameful extortion by security and other personnel working in the airport, but rather than address the complaints, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria has defensively said the facility is a site of on-going projects. Chinedu Eze writes

The Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos has
never enjoyed a good reputation, perhaps in the few years after its construction in 1979. But for the past 15 years the airport has gained notoriety, just as it has been facilitating more than 40 per cent passengers beyond its capacity.

The airport, which is the busiest and the major gateway
has epitomised corruption that is endemic in the country. It became a major passageway for drugs many years before dealers found other routes in West Africa. It was a milieu for passport and visa forgery for many years before the illegality was tamed and also it provided a window through which Asians, especially Indians, Koreans and Chinese get into the country without the right documents.

In the last 10 years aviation stakeholders have lamented
its decay; how its capacity was overstretched to process
more passengers than it was meant for when it was built
over 30 years ago. The complaints that have raced along
with the airport facility include poor air conditioning, the
obsolete and epileptic conveyor belt, which delayed
passengers as long as three hours before they collected
their luggage; the overcrowding and delay in check-in
processing.

Some of these problems have gone away as changes
began to take place at the airport. [b]For example, the delay at the conveyor belt, which is one of the major problems passengers had lamented about, has reduced considerably as there are now six additional conveyor belts: three in each of the expanded E and D wings.[b]

But the problem of the airport is far from over. Last Friday,an official of one of the passenger handling companies that work at the airport told THISDAY when the story made the rounds that some passengers passed out on arrival at the terminal from Atlanta, “I don’t know whether anybody passed out but there is so much heat at the airport. When it rains, it pours more inside the terminal than outside and the construction work that is going on seems to have been abandoned.”

Construction
The international terminal of the Murtala Muhammed
Airport, Lagos has gone through many changes. The E and D ends of the airport have been expanded and there is a new check-in system at both ends with 30 Immigration desks, 14 full-body scanners and other accompanying equipment. In addition to the six additional carousels (conveyor belts), there are new arrival areas with Immigration desks and the upper part of the airport facility has also been developed, including new lounges and new departures.

When THISDAY toured the entire facility on Monday it
found out that the roof of the terminal has been opened for construction to take place and that explain why water
drops inside the facility and are gathered with bins and
vats, but the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)
never explained to the passengers that rain dropped, so
they see it as part of the decay ravaging the airport.

Transit lounges and airlines lounges are being built at the rooftop of the building and new departures areas are being created at the top D and E fingers and would be connected with ramps to the avio bridges to the aircraft. This will enhance safety as the old system where the departing and arriving passengers meet on the same floor with flimsy gaps will no more be the case.

In terms of security, the acceptable standard is that there
should not be any communication between the departing
passengers and arriving passengers because passengers
who are moving to board their flights have gone through
security screening and if they pick anything dangerous
from the arriving passengers they will take it into the
aircraft, which would be dangerous. So to avoid such
possibility, government decided to build new departures at the top of the fingers.On top of the D and E fingers are the departures and each of the new structures has width of 14. 64 meters; length of 210 meters and an area of 3, 074 meters.

By moving the lounges to the rooftop of the terminal,
spaces have been created for duty free shops, which is
lacking for the nation’s premier airport.
The Lagos airport cannot be compared with any other international airport in any major country in Africa, except, perhaps the Kotoko International Airport, Accra, Ghana in terms of duty free shopping malls.

Not even the Spartan and pragmatic Bole International
Airport, Addis Ababa, which is described by travellers of not having enough shopping offerings as would such a busy hub. So part of the construction going on at the Lagos airport is a chain of shops for duty free shopping. And this becomes pertinent now that the emphasis is on non-aeronautical revenue generation, which insulates the
airport management from hiccups that go with aeronautical revenue that oscillates with off and on seasons.

Also on the rooftop is the transit hotel for transit
passengers who may have to wait four to six hours for their connecting flight to Central and West African destination,or coming from these sub-regional destinations to international destinations.
The transit lounge is a major requirement for the operation of a hub. To support Nigerian airlines to operate and airlift passengers from the sub-region and put them in their flights that would be taking them to Europe, the US and other destinations, the transit lounge must be a necessity. This will encourage domestic carriers to compete effectively with airlines like Asky and
others that are coming up in West and Central Africa.

Power Outages

Another nagging problem the airport has is incessant
power outages. Some years ago, the underground cables,
known as armoured cables, became bristle due to old age
and lost the capacity to convey high voltage, sometimes
sparking fire and causing panic at the terminal. But most
important of all, it gave rise to sudden power cuts which
threatened facilitation, security and overall operation at the airport.

Recently power outages seem to have been exacerbated
by many factors including the frequent system collapse of
the public power supply, hitherto known as Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

The General Manager, Electrical, FAAN, Salisu Daura, told
THISDAY on Tuesday that obsolete facilities due to the age of the airport and interruptions due to the on-going
construction at the airport have adversely affected power
supply. He admitted that regular power failure was a
regular challenge of the entire airport and attributed it to
degenerating infrastructure.

“The Murtala Muhammed Airport building was
commissioned in 1977. Without major upgrade, there has
been infrastructural decay. Three years ago, we started the upgrade of power infrastructure for the entire airport but targeted at the international terminal, which is the nation’s gateway.

Daura said that the power project was at the verge of
being completed and until it comes on stream the airport
might continue to suffer from power hiccups because of the frequent system collapse of the public power supply and because the standby generators powering the airport
facility have malfunctioned, except one, but expressed
hope that before the influx of passengers for the Yuletide,
the new power project would have come on stream.

“Another major challenge that we have is the remodelling
projects going on. The expansion work is affecting power
because some of the cables have been disrupted; some are inadvertently cut off by the contractors and there have been a lot of breakages here and there. The major
challenge of construction is when the work is taking place
while the facility is in use, but if the place were shut down while work is going on nobody will know anything and will begin to enjoy the terminal when it is reopened.”

Daura said FAAN was mindful of its responsibilities and that explained why it put signage at strategic places to implore airport users to bear with the agency, but this does not have enough information for the passengers, many of who believe that the old airport is getting worse by the day. A passenger told THISDAY on Tuesday that when he was going to India last week and saw the bins and vats collecting water raining down from the roof of the terminal he was miffed and ashamed.

“I asked myself, so this is where many foreigners pass
through to their flights. It was so embarrassing. I didn’t
know that there was construction going on and I am sure
that other passengers did not know. But the concerned
authorities should have let the passengers know about this because everybody knows that construction disrupts the free flow of activities; it is just like constructing a road while it is in use,” the passenger said.

Extortion
While efforts are being made to restore uninterrupted
power to the airport and air conditioning would be
increased as new chillers are being fitted, with the new
carousel continuing to function effectively, there is yet no
solution to the problem of extortion at the airport.
Extortion among security agencies has become a way of
life and a culture that denigrates the image of the country
but government seems incapable of doing anything about it. What makes the situation worse is that against
acceptable international standards, some of the security
operatives are not accountable to the airport authority;
they claim that they are accountable to their offices outside the airport management.

Take for example, the airport manager or the managing
director of FAAN cannot query a National Drug Law
Enforcement (NDLEA) official, who may keep a passenger,
who might have met all conditions to travel, until he gives him money or he misses his flight.

It is only in Nigeria that passengers luggage are opened
and examined one by one by officials of the security
agencies like Nigerian Quarantine Services, the NDLEA,
Nigeria Customs Service and others, thus creating a forum for interaction between the passengers and these officers, who intimidate, harass and extort the passengers before content of their bags are given back to them or they are allowed to travel. In other parts of the world machines screen these bags outside the passenger processing areas.

A FAAN official who works at the international terminal of
the Lagos airport told THISDAY: “Before these security
officials go to work they will gather at this end (pointing at one end of the departures) and hold meetings on how to make money and the targeted amount each one will make for the day. Look at Police carrying guns at the entrance of the airport in civil aviation, and they are not trained on aviation security.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-pitfalls-at-murtala-muhammed-international-airport/165977/
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by malc619(m): 8:49am On Dec 06, 2013
(In Tu-baba's voice)

E be like say dem wan to tell us another story again....

1 Like

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 06, 2013
OBJ spent 8 years in office while Yar Adua spent 3 years, so why didnt they fix any of these things?

3 Likes

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by enigmang: 10:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
Now this is the most balance report i have read…..on the MMIA matter

1 Like

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: OBJ spent 8 years in office while Yar Adua spent 3 years, so why didnt they fix any of these things?
Let the blame game begin! Thank heavens you are not blaming APC, Tinubu and Buhari this time around. Allelujah!!

5 Likes

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Nightshift(m): 11:11pm On Dec 06, 2013
A few weeks ago, i passed through what i would describe as a bakery oven at passenger screening hall of the airport. The AC was perhaps faulty and there was no fan in the hall. I equally noticed some immigration officials laughing at some passengers who were visibly overwhelmed by the heat.
Are some people that insensitive to such a national disgrace?
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by oldenglish: 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2013
Nightshift: A few weeks ago, i passed through what i would describe as a bakery oven at passenger screening hall of the airport. The AC was perhaps faulty and there was no fan in the hall. I equally noticed some immigration officials laughing at some passengers who were visibly overwhelmed by the heat.
Are some people that insensitive to such a national disgrace?
I wonder how those immigration staffs with kaki material survive in that airport.
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by OmoTier1(m): 2:02am On Dec 07, 2013
Nigerians are not interested in stupid tales by moonlight stories! Fix the airport and give Nigerians a good airport that meets their today and tomorrow needs.

If only we had such a long epistle before the public criminal perfected her hideous crime to steal over N300 million in form of VIP cars, I am sure someone would have shouted ole before they completed the transaction.

1 Like

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by fkaz(m): 5:28am On Dec 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: OBJ spent 8 years in office while Yar Adua spent 3 years, so why didnt they fix any of these things?

Is this all you have to say ?
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by ba7man(m): 9:00am On Dec 07, 2013
Its until heads start rolling for such gross incompetence that i believe people in positions of responsibility will sit up.

And I'm certain they generate adequate income from that Airport and they allocate money for its maintainance but it will be "sat upon" by one "Oga at the top".
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by AZeD1(m): 9:24am On Dec 07, 2013
Don't you have shame? Some months back, a poster showed pictures of the buckets but you and your fellow laptop crew attacked the poster..

This is the thread https://www.nairaland.com/1483912/renovated-mmia-roof-already-leaking

The roof has been leaking since October
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 07, 2013
berem: Let the blame game begin! Thank heavens you are not blaming APC, Tinubu and Buhari this time around. Allelujah!!

He decided to go with ethnic sentiment on this one.
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by awodman: 3:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
ba7man: Its until heads start rolling for such gross incompetence that i believe people in positions of responsibility will sit up.

And I'm certain they generate adequate income from that Airport and they allocate money for its maintainance but it will be "sat upon" by one "Oga at the top".
U didn't read through this article...no point arguing..its Obvious
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by awodman: 3:51pm On Dec 07, 2013
Omo_Tier1: Nigerians are not interested in stupid tales by moonlight stories! Fix the airport and give Nigerians a good airport that meets their today and tomorrow needs.

If only we had such a long epistle before the public criminal perfected her hideous crime to steal over N300 million in form of VIP cars, I am sure someone would have shouted ole before they completed the transaction.

Nobody is giving any tales...its just a THISDAY report who took time out to find out what was wrong and those were his findings

2 Likes

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by ba7man(m): 4:36pm On Dec 07, 2013
awodman:
U didn't read through this article...no point arguing..its Obvious
I read the highlighted parts and it provides adequate reasons on why the roof appeared to leak.

My annoyance is directed at how the Authorities have for so long allowed this state of decay take over that Airport.
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by taharqa: 5:36pm On Dec 07, 2013
Did d Resident Clowns commenting on d thread read d OP at all??*smh*.

@topic, those persons handling Public Info for d FG and d President, need to be shot publicly.

Dats all.
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Brimmie(m): 5:48pm On Dec 07, 2013
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by bloggernaija: 5:54pm On Dec 07, 2013
I passed through that airport many during obj time , apart the nuisance caused by human waste (fugly, indiscipline and rude security officers like the immigration and customs),everything worked ok .
I admit that the air conditioniners ,though working ,were struggling.
The toilets were clean and not sparkling
MMA was and is still antiquated but it was functional .

THE ROOF WAS DEFINITELY NOT LEAKING
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by Italiano1: 6:19pm On Dec 07, 2013
The general state of the airport is absolutely nauseating. I went through the airport last week and I was absolutely mortified at the pathetic state it was in.

Stellar Oduah should be ashamed of herself

2 Likes

Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by awodman: 6:47pm On Dec 07, 2013
ba7man: I read the highlighted parts and it provides adequate reasons on why the roof appeared to leak.

My annoyance is directed at how the Authorities have for so long allowed this state of decay take over that Airport.
I just wonder what previous Aviation Ministers were doing...thank goodness someone is doing something albeit tardy
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by awodman: 6:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
taharqa: Did d Resident Clowns commenting on d thread read d OP at all??*smh*....@topic, those persons handling Public Info for d FG and d President, need to be shot publicly. Dats all.
Yakubu Dati,Joel Obi,Reno Omokri et al need to be hung by their balls upside down...Omokri is on Social media,saw these complaints and never took steps to state the real reasons behind the leak
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by chatterly: 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
The renovation done by Kemal chikwe made more sense than the nonsense being done now
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by OmoTier1(m): 6:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
awodman:
Nobody is giving any tales...its just a THISDAY report who took time out to find out what was wrong and those were his findings
As though we have forgotten who the useless Thisday works for undecided
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by realborn(m): 8:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
MMIA's HVAC is in a pathetic state for a newly refurbished facility. The ceiling and cladding works are shockingly below acceptable standards. Shamefully, the roof also leaks.

Retrofitting and expanding the edifice for more accommodation may pose more challenges as alluded as reason for the leaking roof.

My suggestion is for the design and construction of a new state of the art world class airport to meet global standards. Thereafter a full upgrade of the existing MMIA can take place engaging apposite, qualified and reputable designers and contractors.

It took over an hour on Wednesday to receive my checked in luggage, whilst enmeshed in the heat due to no cooling or fresh air supply.

We can't continue like this sha.
Re: Why MMIA Terminal Roof "Leaks" by realborn(m): 9:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
As though we have forgotten who the useless Thisday works for undecided

As an earlier posted rightly said, the article is objective and balanced.

We need not politicise every anomaly besieging this nation of erudite human resource.

Our infrastructure is damning and extremely poor. Our leaders (past and present) ought to wear a mask of shame every time they leave the shores of the country.

More disturbing is the manner we the online media participants choose to break into factions to support these incompetent leaders on ethnoreligious basis. In my opinion, no Nigerian leader (all offices) has performed above the 50 percentile benchmark considering the abundance of financial, human and natural resources entrusted in their hands.

Unless we collectively fight against the poor scoresheets, notwithstanding party affliations, this black nation may never recover from the doldrums of shame presently attributed to it.

Lastly, I laugh at the recent waves of indices on economic growth being touted by the western media purportedly lauding the achievements of the present economic team. True growth can only be measured by the impact on the citizenry not on imaginary hypothtical claims which at best make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Power supply has just been cut off. I need to go work the generator to life. SMH

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: Leader Of Of Trailer Association In Bariga Killed While People Watched / Kogi To Build A $3B Refinery / Jonathan, PDP Have Failed Nigerians, Says Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.