Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. (16891 Views)

Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / How Long Does It Take You To Refill Your Cooking Gas? / Does Your Husband Help With The Child At Night? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by jumzzy448: 4:24pm On Dec 06, 2013
I recently changed my gas cooker and my 12.5 kg gas cylinder only last for 4 or 5 days. At first I thought the gas sellers where playing a fast one on me so I decided to do refill; still no changes. I'm confused right now. I don't know if it's the gas cooker that has problem. My gas cooker has 5 burners and an electric oven.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
You have a leak somewhere. Arrest it before it does damage.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
Poster, don't u perceive anything?
That thing has a horrible pungent smell.
I don't think its normal pls.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
Are you sure its not leaking anywhere and they close the knob very firmly and tightly?when you are in the kitchen do you perceive gas? If so then it is leaking.do something about it so it doesnt cause a fire outbreak.i once had an exact problem and i took it to the gas station for them to help me tighten the small iron (i dont know what its called)that connects your cylinder to your cooking gas
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by jumzzy448: 7:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
Thank you all. I've actually checked if there is any lick from the cylinder but none. I'm suspecting maybe it's from the gas cooker itself. But I don't even perceive any smell.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by ifyalways(f): 10:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
Unless you dey do mama put,there's no way you will use up 12kg of gas within 1 week. Now,assuming you actually do, do the following :
Change your dealer. Some refill the cylinder with ordinary air.
Check for leakage in cylinder,connecting wire and the cooker itself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eripecs(f): 11:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
You can change the cylinder to that of total. That's what I use and it's ok.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Eragablessen(m): 12:12am On Dec 07, 2013
If i refill with #1,500 cylinder, i should be able to use it for 3 months excluding cooking ewa
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by nikkygal(f): 2:43am On Dec 07, 2013
You might need to call a gas technician to take a look at your whole gas cooker & cylinder set-up.....he should be able to identify where the fault is coming from.....Please act fast oh....Gas leakage is extremely dangerous!!!

There's just no way you can exhaust a 12.5kg cylinder of gas in 5days....haba! Na restaurant you dey run? Lol!

3 Likes

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by greatgod2012(f): 5:26am On Dec 07, 2013
You have been adequately equipped and warned. ACT FAST.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Mynd44: 7:10am On Dec 07, 2013
nikkygal: You might need to call a gas technician to take a look at your whole gas cooker & cylinder set-up.....he should be able to identify where the fault is coming from Please act fast oh....Gas leakage is extremely dangerous!!!

There's just no way you can exhaust a 12.5kg cylinder of gas in 5days....haba! Na restaurant you dey run? Lol!
Do the emboldened. And might I also suggest you STOP using the gas cooker/cylinder. Take the cylinder outside the house too until someone has taken a look at it

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by jumzzy448: 9:38am On Dec 07, 2013
Thanks to everyone. Will do what you've all said.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eagleeye2: 9:56am On Dec 07, 2013
eripecs: You can change the cylinder to that of total. That's what I use and it's ok.
How much is Total 12.5kg Cylinder? I might need to get another one....... anyone with answers...
NB
OP, please stop using that cylinder and cooker untill it has been checked out. Please, to avoid stories that touch....
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 08, 2013
You're sure the gas cylinder doesn't leak then you have a leak somewhere (in the gas cooker)

Try locking your cylinder from the valve (head) after cooking while you get money to buy a new gas cooker

If your gas valve is faulty just replace it.

Be very careful, gas explosion be like war film
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by etenyong(m): 6:36am On Dec 08, 2013
There is no way a 12.5kg cylinder can finish in 5 days. Or it depend on d constants daily kind of cookings. pls check for the following, checks for pipe/hose leakage, improper fixing of regulator, leakage from d cylinder head. use gas leakage fluid or manometer to trace d leakage and u will definitly found where its leaking from. Also, try and get fiber cylinder, its transparent and u can see d gas content when u make refil.
NOTE; anything about gas cooker, repair & servicing, installations and any other gas related issue are my jobs.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by yajebu: 7:33am On Dec 08, 2013
etenyong: There is no way a 12.5kg cylinder can finish in 5 days. or it depend on d constants daily kind of cookings. pls check for the following, checks for pipe/hose leakage, improper fixing of regulator, leakage from d cylinder head. use gas leakage fluid or manometer to trace d leakage and u will definitly found way its leaking from. Also, try and get fiber cylinder, its transparent and u can see d gas content when u make refill
NOTE; any thing about gas cooker, repair & servicing, installations and any gas related issue is my job.

Where are you located pls? Need to repair and service my cookers- if the price is right.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by jumzzy448: 9:26am On Dec 08, 2013
etenyong: There is no way a 12.5kg cylinder can finish in 5 days. or it depend on d constants daily kind of cookings. pls check for the following, checks for pipe/hose leakage, improper fixing of regulator, leakage from d cylinder head. use gas leakage fluid or manometer to trace d leakage and u will definitly found way its leaking from. Also, try and get fiber cylinder, its transparent and u can see d gas content when u make refil.
NOTE; any thing about gas cooker, repair & servicing, installations and any gas related issue is my job.
Pls where are you located. Your address and phone number.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 08, 2013
Poster, its true, this is a very urgent situation.
I will suggest no repair, no anything.
Discard all and buy new ones. Life is precious dear. Don't look at the money.

If u don't hv the money to buy all at d same time, u can buy camp gas first, then take ur time and buy the rest. I don't trust technicians expecially when it concerns things as hazardeous as this.
My 2 cents anyway.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by etenyong(m): 11:36am On Dec 08, 2013
Pls where are you located. Your address and phone number.

I'm based in Lagos. U can contact on 08097460370
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by etenyong(m): 11:39am On Dec 08, 2013
@ yajebu & jumzzy448, I'm based in Lagos and u can contact me on 08097460370

1 Like

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by jumzzy448: 11:53am On Dec 08, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Poster, its true, this is a very urgent situation.
I will suggest no repair, no anything.
Discard all and buy new ones. Life is precious dear. Don't look at the money.

If u don't hv the money to buy all at d same time, u can buy camp gas first, then take ur time and buy the rest. I don't trust technicians expecially when it concerns things as hazardeous as this.
My 2 cents anyway.
Thanks so much for the advice.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eripecs(f): 10:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
eagle,eye:

How much is Total 12.5kg Cylinder? I might need to get another one....... anyone with answers...
NB
OP, please stop using that cylinder and cooker untill it has been checked out. Please, to avoid stories that touch....

Am not sure of Total cylinder net weight but 13.0 is inscribed on the one am using. I got it for #3,600. Remain blessed.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eagleeye2: 7:21am On Dec 09, 2013
eripecs:

Am not sure of Total cylinder net weight but 13.0 is inscribed on the one am using. I got it for #3,600. Remain blessed.
I don't mean the cost of refill. I want to buy 12.5kg cylinder.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eripecs(f): 6:44pm On Dec 10, 2013
eagle,eye:

I don't mean the cost of refill. I want to buy 12.5kg cylinder.
Their mode of operation is difft from others. All you need do, is pay and carry the already filled cylinder. You can walk into any total filling station and clear your doubts.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by eagleeye2: 7:07pm On Dec 10, 2013
eripecs:
Their mode of operation is difft from others. All you need do, is pay and carry the already filled cylinder. You can walk into any total filling station and clear your doubts.
Ok. Thanks for the reply.
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Meringe(m): 7:11am On Dec 11, 2013
We had the same issue back then, it was not leakage but we were given industrial host and pump(iron stuff tight at d cylinder). So, it pumps gas like to the burner like die.

Change it to private use (dunno its name sha)
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by laudate: 1:54am On Aug 03, 2014
eagleeye2:
NB

An empty 12.5kg cylinder as at today's rates is =N=7,500 to =N=8,000 depending on where you buy it from. To refill the cylinder is =N=3,200 to =N=3,500 depending on where you buy from.

One word of caution: It is better to buy your cooking gas from a fuel station or a gas plant. Try to avoid buying from roadside sellers as it is not clear if they are refilling the cylinders to the correct levels. You might get short-changed, if you don't have a gas connector or valve with a gauge.

Also, try to install a gas detector in your kitchen. There are some which give a high pitched alarm and flashing lights, whenever there is a gas leak. Always ensure that you have a functional fire extinguisher in your kitchen that is properly certified and has not expired.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by snthesis(m): 2:33am On Aug 03, 2014
1yr 6months and still counting cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by royalng: 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2015
Let us pick up your cylinder, refill and return; only for N2,900 (12.5 Kg). You are just a click away on www.royalscope.com

Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Dvent: 5:00am On Mar 05, 2016
Need a repairer in Nnewi, any contact pls
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by laudate: 11:20am On Mar 11, 2016
jumzzy448:
I recently changed my gas cooker and my 12.5 kg gas cylinder only last for 4 or 5 days. At first I thought the gas sellers where playing a fast one on me so I decided to do refill; still no changes. I'm confused right now. I don't know if it's the gas cooker that has problem. My gas cooker has 5 burners and an electric oven.

First question: Where did you refill your cooking gas cylinder? From the roadside retailers or an approved gas plant, or a filling station? Your cylinder may NOT have been properly filled with the right quantity of gas if you refilled it from a roadside shop/retailer, instead of a gas plant. A friend of mine refilled a 50kg cylinder from a roadside shop, only to get home and discover that the quantity of gas in it was less than one-third of what she paid for. Luckily, her regulator had a gauge so she had adequate proof with which she could confront the shop owner. cheesy

2nd question: Are you sure your gas cylinder valve is NOT leaking, and all your gas cooker switches are properly turned off at the end of each cooking session? Please check. Minute amounts of gas may be leaking from these points and these would not allow the gas content in your cylinder to last for long. Like other respondents have advised, fix this before it causes any damage. If a naked flame or a mobile phone is turned on, in an area where there is leakage, it could cause an explosion and untold harm to those in that vicinity. shocked

3rd question: Is your gas cylinder in good condition, and it does not have any rusty points underneath and around the body? Gas leaks could occur from these rusty points. Please change your cylinder to a new one, fast! sad

4th question: How much cooking do you actually do? If you are cooking beans or a large amount of food every day over a number of days, then you might be consuming a lot of gas. It might serve you better to switch to a 50kg or 25kg cylinder that would hold more gas, that can serve your needs. undecided

nikkygal:
You might need to call a gas technician to take a look at your whole gas cooker & cylinder set-up.....he should be able to identify where the fault is coming from.....Please act fast oh....Gas leakage is extremely dangerous!!!

True!!
Re: How Long Does Your Cooking Gas Last. by Mofetemi(m): 7:28am On Dec 24, 2016
i want to ask these questions and i need answers ASAP:

1. On average usage, how many weeks does a 12.5kg cylinder ought to last for?

2. I use an LGS regulator with meter. It is known that when a regulator is opened, the gas cooker ignites when the knob is turn ON, isn't it? But my worry is this, when this regulator is closed, the gas cooker still ignites if i turn ON the knob. Is this normal or something is wrong?

(1) (2) (Reply)

History Youngest Parents (photos) / I THANK God For Giving Me Another Bouncing Baby BOY / See Couple's 11-year Old Poem Book That Has Helped Their Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.