Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,958 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. (1133 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by Kol: 12:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
What we find in movies made everywhere across the world is usually things that improve on our thinking. Some even make movies extending into the future.

What we find in MOST naija movies (aka home videos) is negative, unreasonable and unimaginable things that were told as fairy tales in the past. People are subjected to mental poisoning daily watching these eye sores.

Most of the movies are hinged around ridiculous things that happened in the past or at least that happened in people's imagination through fairy tales stories of the past.

The most troubling aspect of it all is that many many nigerians are actually living the movies. The believe in the messages and they practice what they see.

The home videos are all about promoting native doctors and pastors. Anybody picks up a camera and records anything and people will buy, watch and believe everything they see as real. Poor illiterate populace!! Na wa o !

So in real life young men who have not been able to get jobs flood pastoral schools to be able to set up businesses (sorry, churches) because there are ready and willing customers (sorry, worshippers). They learn all the tricks of reminding you of the witches that are not there to be able get the money (sorry, tithe and seed money) out of you offering you deliverance and prosperity as you will find in the movies.
Poor Nigerians would succumb because they have been brain washed through the home videos that that's now the way of life.

I actually wonder if we do have any censors board in this country! Naija, I hail o !!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by VillageBoi(m): 12:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
Kol: What we find in movies made everywhere across the world is usually things that improve on our thinking.
Says who?

Kol: What we find in MOST naija movies (aka home videos) is negative, unreasonable and unimaginable things that were told as fairy tales in the past.
And what's wrong with fairy tales?

Kol: Poor illiterate populace!! Na wa o !
Oh dear, how ironic considering your thread title - "Hollywood Is Promote Superstition", not to talk of the write-up.
Edit - I see you have changed it to 'Nollywood' and corrected the grammar - clap for yasef.

Kol: I actually wonder if we do have any censors board in this country!
Not that you'd know what the Censors Board is for.

PS - If you wan yab Nollywood and Nigeria feel free but at least offer solutions or something and make it something people can have a debate/dialogue about. Too many threads are becoming let's yab them just because we can.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by prof800(m): 1:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
VillageBoi:
Oh dear, how ironic considering your thread title - "Hollywood Is Promote Superstition", not to talk of the write-up.

**falls from a cliff**
grin grin grin grin grin
I haff dead!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by sholay2011(m): 1:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Villageboi has said it all.

@OP...What's up with the confusing thread title? And when last did you pick your 'Brighter grammar'? Just curious.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by VillageBoi(m): 2:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
prof800:
**falls from a cliff**
grin grin grin grin grin
I haff dead!

You are only allowed to fall if there is a fair maiden to catch you... na fairy tale tingz nah! wink
PS - On the 'haff dead' thing... no worries she will add in a 'snow white' kissy-kissy for you.
Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by prof800(m): 3:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
VillageBoi:

You are only allowed to fall if there is a fair maiden to catch you... na fairy tale tingz nah! wink
PS - On the 'haff dead' thing... no worries she will add in a 'snow white' kissy-kissy for you.
grin grin grin grin grin
sholay2011:
@OP...What's up with the confusing thread title? And when last did you pick your 'Brighter grammar'? Just curious.
Nor worry, I would helping her to edited it. wink
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
*sighs* So many Nollywood threads lately! Is it Obsession or something?.....ooooo lipsrsealed I've forgotten you don't watch them, na your sisters dey force you to watch once in a while grin

bye smiley smiley smiley.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by Vivly(f): 4:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
Why are so many people in a haste to trash Nollywood. Funny enough, most of the haters are those who only understand nollywood movies or those that have never bought a cinema ticket to see a good nollywood film.
Trashing nollywood won't make you look classy or cool.
What about Hollywood movies that promotes magic, sorcery, vampires, werewolves etc etc. Na only Naija you see?

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by homesteady(m): 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
If Nollywood promotes superstitions, then hollywood promotes super-duper superstitions! Mtcheew!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by JadeWilliam(f): 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
prof800:

**falls from a cliff**
grin grin grin grin grin
I haff dead!
Neva knew dat proff (s) do laugh
Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by Kol: 10:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
Vivly: Why are so many people in a haste to trash Nollywood. Funny enough, most of the haters are those who only understand nollywood movies or those that have never bought a cinema ticket to see a good nollywood film.
Trashing nollywood won't make you look classy or cool.
What about Hollywood movies that promotes magic, sorcery, vampires, werewolves etc etc. Na only Naija you see?

What is really there to understand in the movies, when before they start you already know how they will end. They would
mostly start with juju, witchcraft, and other ridiculous primitive stuff and end with pastors. I do agree there are some good ones and those are the ones with a bit of foreign touch and intelligence. Like some that feature actors like RMD, Stella Damascus and a few others.
Re: Nollywood Movies Promote Superstition. by VillageBoi(m): 7:58am On Dec 09, 2013
To be honest Mr Kol, I really don't get your beef.

Kol:
They would mostly start with juju, witchcraft, and other ridiculous primitive stuff
Well from 'The Wizard of Oz' to James Bond 'Live and Let Die' to 'Harry Potter' or the 'primitive' village things in 'Period dramas' which arguably happen to be some of the best 'classics' out there, just goes to show that juju & witchcraft can be well on point and darn good films.

Kol: I do agree there are some good ones and those are the ones with a bit of foreign touch and intelligence.
Is this a case of us being ashamed of Nigeria & Nigerian things and our aspiration to be 'foreign' especially 'Americanas?' Some of the worst films we've ever made are atrocious simply because there is nothing more damaging to the ear than when an 'actor' is forcing some horribly twisted accent upon us.

Kol: Like some that feature actors like RMD
RMD? When last did you watch a movie?

(1) (Reply)

DSTV Giving Away (limited) One Free Month As Compensation For Being Xenophobic / Watch The First Official Trailer For Disney’s ‘the Jungle Book’ / 5 Conclusions From Game Of Thrones 701 (beware Of Spoilers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.