Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Recipes I have tried - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipes I have tried (10954 Views)

Crazy Food Mixtures You Have Tried Out / Have You Ever Tried This Ancient Technique? (picture Included) / Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 7:49pm On Sep 03, 2008
If, like me, you love to bake or try foreign recipes, this is very useful converting tool
http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/butter_converter.html
on the right side you can find flower and sugar conversions.
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 12:13am On Sep 04, 2008
Nila07:

You are a Gem. Here is an internet hug ((((((((nila07 )))))))))

Thanks for sharing
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 12:32am On Sep 04, 2008
Growing up as a kid, we let nothing go to waste.  Left over bread was used to make bread pudding.  Well, I came home early today and decided to make bread pudding - c'bbean style. 

Bread Pudding

8 oz  stale bread
4 oz sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla (we call it essence)
1/2 cup milk
2 oz raisins
2 oz margarine
1 egg

Method

Break bread in small pieces and soak in cold water
Strain and squeeze as dry as possible.  Put into a bowl and beat out lumps with a fork.  Add raisins, sugar, margarind, essence and mix well.  Add beaten egg and enough milk to enable mixture to drop from spoon.  Put in a greased dish and bake i a warm oven.  Oven 300-400

Recipe by V woods
Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 5:23am On Sep 04, 2008
@Cayon  cheesy   (hug back)
thanks for your recipes too!
Re: Recipes I have tried by bigboyslim(m): 6:37pm On Sep 04, 2008
Please does anyone have the recipe for fried rice and the directions. I try to make it but never get it right. All suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 7:34pm On Sep 04, 2008
this is what I cooked today (i made the white version, cooked the same way but without tomato paste)

rice and fish   
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/thiebou-dienn-sous-verre-senegalese-rice-and-fish-stew-recipe/index.html
http://www.congocookbook.com/rice_recipes/ceebu_jen.html

4 tablespoons peanut oil
2 large onions, minced
3-inch piece smoked fish (guedge or yete if possible)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
9 cups slightly salted cold water
1 bunch parsley, trimmed
2 large cloves garlic
1 fresh bird chile
2 scallions
3 pounds sea bass tail, cleaned and cut into steaks 1 1/2 inches thick
1/2 pound calabaza, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
1/2 pound sweet cassava, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
5 small purple turnips, quartered
1 small green cabbage, cut into eighths
4 sweet potatoes, quartered
2 small eggplants, cut into 1-inch slices
5 carrots, scraped and cut into chunks
12 small okra pods, washed and topped and tailed (any hard pods discarded)
1 habanero chile, pricked with a fork
2 pounds broken rice

Heat the oil in a large stockpot and brown the onion. Add the smoked fish, the tomato paste, and 1/4 cup of the salted water. While the onion mixture is browning, prepare the stuffing for the sea bass steaks by placing the parsley, garlic, chile, and scallions in a food processor and pulsing until they form a thick paste. When the paste is ready, score the sea bass steaks and poke the stuffing into the slits.
Place the sea bass in the stockpot with the onion mixture, allow it to cook for 5 minutes, and add the remaining water. When the fish mixture comes to a boil, cover the pot, lower the heat, and add the vegetables in the order given, finishing off with the pricked habanero chile, which you will remove (and reserve) when the thiebou dienn is spicy enough for you. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove the sea bass steaks keeping them whole, and place them on a serving platter. Cover them with a bit of the cooking liquid, and keep them warm.
Continue cooking the thiebou dienn for an additionaly 15 minutes, then remove the vegetables and arrange them on a platter and keep them warm. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid to make the sauces. Return the remaining liquid to a boil, add the rice, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
While the rice is cooking, pulverize the habanero chile that you have reserved and add it to 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Heat it, stirring occasionally, and place it in a sauceboat. Heat the remaining cup of reserved cooking liquid and place it in a separate sauceboat. This will give you a regular sauce and a fiery hot one.

tips: before you add the rice to the stew (remaining liquid), you can steam it first: add a little watter to it and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. then add it to the stew  to cook in it.
you can also use king fish instead of sea bass.

you
Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2008
bigboyslim:

Please does anyone have the recipe for fried rice and the directions. I try to make it but never get it right. All suggestions would be appreciated.

maybe this link can help  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-93232.0.html
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 1:40am On Sep 06, 2008
One of the most popular fruits in the caribbean is Mango.  When i was younger, I ate mango for b/fast, mango for lunch and mango for dinner.  Many times I refused my mother's cooking just for mango.  I didn't like the soft mangoes so I used them to make mango drinks or mango jam.  The next time you go to the Grocery shop  - pick up 4 mangoes and try this

Mango Jam

6 cups ripe mango slices
2 cups of water
3 cups sugar

Cook mango slices in water for about 15 minutes or until tender.  Press through a sleve.  Add sugar and lime juice and boil until think.  Pour in sterilized jars.

Try is with your peanut butter and bread
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2008
Growing up in the Caribbean my mom was not priveledge to buy pancake mix - so she used sweet potato, pumpkin, banana to make pancakes.  Some c'bbean folks call pancakes fritters

For breakfast, this morning I took a trip down memory lane

Pumpkin Fritters

4 oz pumpkin
1 egg well beaten
3/4 cup milk
Pinch baking powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 oz of flour
2 tsp cooking oil (I use olive oil)

Boil pumpkin until tender.  Mash and add egg, milk and cinnamon.  Mix flour with baking powder and add to mixture to make a thick batter.  Heat oil in frying pan and fry like pancakes.  Sprinkle with sugar

Another option, instead of sprinkling the pancakes with sugar, you can add the sugar to the mixture until sweet
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 9:03pm On Sep 11, 2008
Koosé
Nigerian bean cakes

1/2 lb black-eyed peas (beans)
2 hot chile peppers, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
6-7 tbs water
oil (for deep frying)

Soak beans overnight in cold water. Rinse the beans and/or skin them by rubbing between your hands while rinsing under cold running water. Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Pour the mixture into a bowl and whisk for a good few minutes minutes to beat in air
Heat the oil in a pan. Shape small balls of the mixture and carefully drop into the oil from a spoon you've quickly dipped into the frying oil first to prevent sticking. Repeat until the mixture is exhausted, re-oiling your spoon if required. Avoid overcrowding; work in batches if necessary. Fry until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper or a paper towel. Serve hot or cold with hot chile sauce.

1 Like

Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2008
@cayon, the mango jam sounds good and easy. Im gonna have to try that one. thanks a load. smiley
Re: Recipes I have tried by AmakaOne(f): 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2008
@cayon I tried the pumpkin fritters, but I used butternut squash and they came out delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

they make a great snack too, not just good for breakfast.

Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2008
@amakaone

Awesome.  I am on the phone talking to my sister. I never once thought about using butter squash that is family to pumpkin. You see, I usually bake my butternut squash and base it with honey.  Thanks for the idea and definitly going to try it.  In fact, I may prepare it for dinner tonight.

I am sure the looks is as good as the taste

took 2 weeks off.  Well I am taking my nieces and nephew out of the house and hope to find  butter nut squash.

Blessings.
Re: Recipes I have tried by AmakaOne(f): 5:58pm On Sep 18, 2008
1 pound large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
half of a lime
fresh black pepper

4 tablespoons oil (you can sub 2 of the tablespoons with butter for a richer sauce)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely minced
1 tablespoon curry powder

14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 pound of whole okra, stem ends trimmed
1 cup water ( if you'D like to use stock, reduce the salt a bit)
2 sprigs of thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
1/2 teaspoon homemade pepper sauce ( or 1 teaspoon tabasco / red pepper flakes, etc.)

How To Make it

Right before you start cooking, toss the shrimp with some lime juice and fresh black pepper and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and a pinch of salt, and let cook down until the onions are softened and translucent. Stir in the curry and minced garlic and continue to cook until the garlic and curry are really fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Take care that the garlic and onions don't brown too much though, you can turn the flame down slightly if needed.

Stir in the chopped tomatoes (including liquid), salt, adobo, thyme, okra, and water / stock.

Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high, then reduce the flame and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Avoid stirring the stew too much since this will break up the okra and make it more slippery.

Stir in the shrimp and pepper sauce. Cover the pot , reduce to a simmer, and let cook until shrimp is cooked through has turned pink (less than 5 minutes),

Serve with rice and / or boiled plantains and some salad greens for a complete meal.

Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 11:28pm On Sep 19, 2008
Mauby:

4 oz mauby bark
24 cups of water
Approximately 4lbs of brown sugar
Large piece of cinnamon stick
few cloves (don't over do it)
About 2 pieces of dried orange peel
2 sticks of coconda root
a piece of mace ( a cooking spice obtained from dried covering of the nutmeg fruit seed)

Boil mauby bark in water (about 8 cups) with orange peel, spice, cloves and mace  until liquid is very bitter (for about1/2 hour)  Strain off, add the rest of the water and sugar until very sweet.  Bottle the cooled liquid, leaving the neck of the bottle unfilled for froth.  Cover and leave for 3 days.  Serve very cold.

If you family is small, cut the ingredients in half or 1/4

Re: Recipes I have tried by AmakaOne(f): 8:42am On Sep 22, 2008
Cayon,

What is Mauby Bark?

is it like cassia bark?
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 10:44am On Sep 23, 2008
Good Morning:

Its the bark from the Colubrina  tree. Funny, the cassia bark looks just like it.

Have a blessed day - off 2 work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colubrina_elliptica

Peace

AMAKAONE:

Cayon,

What is Mauby Bark?

is it like cassia bark?

Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 10:23am On Sep 24, 2008
as I grew up with a mom who made and still does her own bread from scratch and never buys breads from the stores. Well last night I did some - my brother and some of his friends went crazy. it was like straight out of the oven - right into their mouth.

Home Made Bread

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup shortening, melted and cooled
12 cups all-purpose flour, divided

DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and shortening; stir until dissolved. Add half the flour; beat until smooth and the batter sheets with a spoon. Mix in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough that cleans the bowl. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes.
Divide dough into four parts and shape into loaves. Place in four greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and allow to cool on wire racks.

1 Like

Re: Recipes I have tried by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2008
my head is spinning literally!!

with all the measures, and names and other what nots

how do you find the time to cook and remember these recipes

please amakaone, this your soup wey u just describe
with okro?
and rice

It looked great but the idea of okro and rice doesnt gel with me

I seriously have to make time to try out recipes
considering having a "New recipe" day
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 4:11pm On Oct 04, 2008
so instead of having a party my sister suggested a breakfast get together instead. It was sooooooo good. We had a full house and it was so good that I got a hug from my sister-in-law. Everything went but my cheesy christophene had everyone licking their fingers

1 lb christophene
4 oz cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 oz margarine
1 oz flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk

Wash, peel and slice the christophenes. Steam or boil christophenes. do not allow them to get soft. Slice or dice the christophenes. grate the cheese. Prepare a sauce: - Add 1/2 cup of water in which christophenes were cooked to the 1/2 cup of milk. Heat the margarine on a low fire. Add the flour and stir to a smooth paste. Add the milk, stirring until thick. Season to taste. Grease the baking dish. Add a layer of christophene, sprinkle with cheese and the with breadcrumbs. Pour on a little of sauce. repeat this procedure if necessary leaving a small quantitiy of cheese to sprinkle on top. Put to brown under a grill or in a moderately hot oven
Re: Recipes I have tried by AmakaOne(f): 12:50pm On Oct 10, 2008
Had a potluck type meal with my research group yesterday and i decided to make something different from the usual stuff I take to these things, so I made some Paella.

Didn't use saffron tho. I almost fainted when I saw the price while I was shopping for ingredients grin

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 16 head-on medium shrimp
* 1 red onion, diced
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 cups Arborio rice
* 5 1/2 cups hot fish stock
* 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
* 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
* 1 teaspoon lemon or lime zest
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
* sea salt to taste
* 16 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
* 1 pound red snapper fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
* 1/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1 (10 ounce) cooked lobster tail, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
* 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
* 2 lemons, cut into wedges

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat olive oil in a very large skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add the head-on shrimp and sear on each side until they turn orange and have lightly browned (they should still be raw on the inside). Remove the shrimp and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium and stir in red onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onion has softened and turned translucent. Stir in Arborio rice until coated with oil. Pour in the fish stock and season with saffron, paprika, lemon zest, and oregano. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat then stir in sea salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Decoratively nestle the mussels and head-on shrimp into the rice, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Next, push the red snapper and deveined shrimp into the rice, recover and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Finally, add lobster and sprinkle with diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the mussels have opened, the rice is tender, and the lobster is hot; about 5 minutes more.
4. Serve in the paella pan garnished with lemon wedges.

Re: Recipes I have tried by AmakaOne(f): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2008
Cayon:

so instead of having a party my sister suggested a breakfast get together instead. It was sooooooo good. We had a full house and it was so good that I got a hug from my sister-in-law. Everything went but my cheesy christophene had everyone licking their fingers

@ CAyon

Is christophene the same as cho-cho?
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 1:52am On Oct 23, 2008
AMAKAONE:

@ CAyon

Is christophene the same as cho-cho?
sorry, I am just seeing your question.  Yes, its the same as cho-cho 

Again, I apologize for the late response

Take care

Re: Recipes I have tried by Ladytemi(f): 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2008
Chicken Fried Rice

1 cup cooked white rice(better to cook it early and keep it in the fridge till needed)
1 1/2 cups chicken breast(sliced thin or u can cube it up)
1 cup vegetables( used red pepper, green pepper, broccoli and onions, but use your choice of veggies)
2 egg
1 tsp water
4 tsp soy sauce
3 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh grated or ground ginger
1/4 cup white cooking wine(omit and use water if u want)

Prep time:20 mins(this is including the time it will take you to cook the rice and cut up your vegetables)
Cooking time:5mins

In a small bowl , make your marinade: combine honey, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp oil and the ginger set it aside. Cut up your chicken into the desired size you want and then add it into your marinade and put it into the fridge to marinate(The longer it sits the better it tastes).
In a small bowl, beat egg with the water and cook with 1 tsp oil over medium- low heat, remove from heat and slice into thin strands.
Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil, add in your chicken and cook till it's no longer raw, spoon into a clean bowl, then add the remaining oil into you pan add you vegetables deglaze pan with cooking wine and cook to desired taste.
When vegetables are done add the chicken, cold rice, remaining 2 tsp soy sauce,remaining red pepper flakes and combine till everything is mixed, stir fry for five minutes on medium-low heat, then stir in egg strands and serve hot.

P.S- You can add water chestnuts and or alfalfa sprouts.
Do not use hot rice it will just get clumpy, use cold rice that you made ahead
If you want it spicier, increase the red pepper flakes or omit it if you want it milder
Add more vegetables if you want

Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 11:56am On Nov 04, 2008
Forwarded to friends and family.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2008
Grilled Salmon

4 4ounce salmon steaks or fillets
1/4 cup peanut oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 clove of minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon of salt or to taste

Place salmon or fillets in a dish. Whisk together ingredients and pour
over salmon. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in frig 4 to 6 hrs.
Remove salmon and place on a well oiled grill (George Forman Grill). Grill for 10 minutes per inches
of thickness or until fish flakes when tested with fork. Turn halfway through
cooking. I paste the salmon frequently.

Peace
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2008
Cajun Chicken Pasta
http://allrecipes.com/

Ingredients

4 ounces linguine pasta
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons butter
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green onion, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cooking Instructions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

Place the chicken and the Cajun seasoning in a plastic bag. Shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the chicken in butter or margarine until almost tender (5 to 7 minutes).

Add the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms and green onion. Saute and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat.

Add the cream, basil, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper. Heat through. Add the cooked linguine, toss and heat through. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Re: Recipes I have tried by milknhoney(f): 11:20pm On Nov 21, 2008
Cayon,
I tried the Mango Jam and it turned out AMAZING!!! Like seriously I think it has become my new found love in life.
I brought it to work the other day, see me see trouble. All the ladies tried to bring their plain muffins and bagels, trying have some my precious jam.
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 11:33pm On Nov 21, 2008
I am soo happy to hear. And it was ez to make right?. If at anytime u need simple c'bbean recipies - pl. do not hesitate to ask me.

all the best
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 4:12pm On Nov 22, 2008
well my mom got her credit card bills. Ooouuuu, someone went on a spending spree. My mom said "if u don't cut down on your spending (her credit card) I am going to give you the axe. So to economize i made Homemade Ice Tea.

hahahahaha, i am dying with laughter because it came out good. hahahahhaa grin grin

Homemade Ice Tea

Boil some water, (2 quarts) then steep 8 tea bags. pour into a gallon pitcher - add 1 cup sugar, add lemon and fill the pitcher with cold water to the top and stir. Add ice and enjoy.

Peace
Re: Recipes I have tried by nila07: 4:21pm On Dec 12, 2008
where ru guys hiding?

this is a greek recipe. since I have had it at a friend's house, I'm kind of obssessed with it.  tongue

serving: 2 persons

ingredients

2 pork chops
4 potatoes
1 lemon
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
freshly ground black pepper
salt
oregane (fresh or dry)

peel your potatoes and cut then in 2 bite size cubes.  place the pork chop on a oven pan and place the potatoes around the meat. mix olive oil, the juice of the lemon, black pepper, oregano, crushed garlic and salt. Pour this mixture over the potatos and the meat. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Then remove cover and drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle oregano again. set the broiler until everything is brown (it should only take a few minutes), keep an eye on it so that it does not burn.

side dish: a salad made of: romaine, green peppers, calamata olives, fennel, and tomatos, drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.

don't forget to toast a very fine bread. eg. italian or french bread.

you can also try this recipe with lamb.
Re: Recipes I have tried by Cayon(f): 3:24pm On Dec 27, 2008
Thanks Nila

Wishing you and your family a very happy and peaceful New Year

Blessings

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Crowns Milk Unveils ‘Treasure Your Heart’ Campaign For Ramadan / How To Prepare Jollof Without Tomatoes / Nigeria Spent N660bn On Imported Chicken In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.