Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" (25417 Views)

Well Built & Tastefully House For Sale @ Ifo, Ogun State For #15m. / Well Built 20rooms Self Contain Hostel Located In Ekosodin Uniben For Sale #19M / Have You Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On CNN Or BBC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
ifebosco: so we can´t uphold civilization??
Point to a civilized nation in Africa to me as to modern standards as the developed nations?
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by ifebosco: 8:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
all4naija:

Why don't you get the story across yourself? Until Africans are able to organized themselves and build a civil societies no developing nation is going to take them for granted or seriously!

Thank you.
yes we don´t have a system,our civil society is not yet in place,does it mean they should tell lies about us??we have our share of blame,but not manipulating our history,or giving us aid while stealing our natural resouces behind

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by ifebosco: 8:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
all4naija: Point to a civilized nation in Africa to me as to modern standards as the developed nations?
so as we don´t have development in africa,they should insult us in their televisions abi
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
ifebosco: yes we don´t have a system,our civil society is not yet in place,does it mean they should tell lies about us??we have our share of blame,but not manipulating our history,or giving us aid while stealing our natural resouces behind

Bwahaha... You should listen to posters who are supporting the argument that civilization started from Africa and as such has the saying in that regard. I would be interested to know about this civilization that hasn't been of good use to the people of the continent. You should tell your leaders to organize themselves and use the resources for the good of the continent than pointing accusing fingers to those who are only helping to make use of opportunities in whatsoever way termed to make better use of them than allowing them to lie non-utilized by the primitive Africans.

I am so much concerned about South Africans who cannot even make head of their resources for the good of the continent than to brag to other Africans and take to xenophobic attacks. It is a big shame to the people of the continent though. Africans have no reason to complain about foul play when they cannot help themselves.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
ifebosco:
so as we don´t have development in africa,they should insult us in their televisions abi

As long as Africa remains part of the planet earth you will have to live with the insults, if nothing is done about the way to develop it and bring the people out of poverty.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by NOLONGTIN1(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
@Op

I don't know if anyone has pointed it out to you, but that is an auto generated reply, it's just an acknowledgement that their system has received ur mail.

So in theory ur mail hasn't been replied.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by ifebosco: 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
all4naija:

Bwahaha... You should listen to posters who are supporting the argument that civilization started from Africa and as such has the saying in that regard. I would be interested to know about this civilization that hasn't been of good use to the people of the continent. You should tell your leaders to organize themselves and use the resources for the good of the continent than pointing accusing fingers to those who are only helping to make use of opportunities in whatsoever way termed to make better use of them than allowing them to lie non-utilized by the primitive Africans.

I am so much concerned about South Africa that cannot even make head of their resources for the good of the continent than to brag to other Africans and take to xenophobic attacks. It is a big shame to the people of the continent though. Africans have no reason to complain about foul play when they cannot help themselves.
we have our own blames but oyibo has too

watch this aljazeera video you will understand better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHJlrILnZE
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
ifebosco: we have our own blames but oyibo has too

watch this aljazeera video you will understand better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHJlrILnZE
Now, you know about that to be true. Why are Africans so bitter about being portray as such?
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by trenchard(m): 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
for those of u familiar with TED program. our famous writer Adichie was trying to explain d danger of single story. its pathetic d way dis guys think of us. but i think d solution cam only come from us
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by prettyboi1(m): 10:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
Crying to bbc or cnn to show the better sides of Africa isn't going to change anything. If you're not going to stand up in life & help yourself,no one would help you as much as you would help yourself. I don't give a shiit about bbc or cnn selling my continent's image....I SHOULD BE THE ONE TO PROUDLY SELL THE IMAGE OF MY COUNTRY & MY CONTINENT BECAUSE AN OUTSIDER CAN'T DO IT BETTER THAN ME. Rather than crying to bbc,cnn & all those other "supremacist" propagating media, what we should be asking/figuring out is WHY AREN'T OUR OWN MEDIA IN ALL 54 AFRICAN COUNTRIES SHOWCASING OUR GREAT SIDES & ESPECIALLY INVESTING MORE IN TOURISM? Our destiny & the image we sell to the world about ourselves as a people lie in our hands.
God Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Turbocharged: 10:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
thisisayus:
Here is the reply from BBC via bbc_complaints_website@bbc.co.uk

Dear Mr. Ogunsola

Reference CAS-2428933-TJJY8Y

Thanks for contacting the BBC.

We understand you feel there has been a lack of coverage of Africa in our output, we note you feel the BBC should feature more aspects of Africa in broadcasts to inform and educate audience members.

In our output we strive to provide a range of subjects and issues, we are always working to inform audience members of issues from all locations. The BBC has broadcast programmes and reports on Africa and its wildlife recently but we certainly will take on board your suggestion.

We are grateful that you've taken the time to put your suggestion forward and be assured that your comments will be registered on our audience log.

This is an internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are made available across the BBC.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Tanya McKee

BBC Complaints

Ol boy ee! If na BBC (queen people) write this kin tin, na im be say WEAC suppose give me extra marks add am apology.

#I SMELL LIES
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by bebe2(f): 10:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bandit C.:

Lol at "great country"

I repeat, UK is trash and I am not here to argue that with you. Take away the schools there and all you have left is a third world country surviving on taxes. No productions, no exports, no viable economic activities.

A place where people still earn 5-6 pounds per hour to survive on.

Like I said earlier, it is an open secret around this neck of the wood that UK is officially done. They are just counting down on them till the inevitable happens.

UK would be history soon. The earlier you get out and save your head, the better for you. Lol.

hahaha save my head? tnks for the advice,

pls were u neva go do dey talk about am i beg u.

@ 5-6£ per hour dat na black market o, minimum wage pass dat one. even at that rate, what of u working tax benefit? childtax credit? child benefit? and all other money wey u go get to add to ur salary. dnt forget to give the full picture o
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
all4naija: Point to a civilized nation in Africa to me as to modern standards as the developed nations?

You mean the western definition of 'development'.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
flinton:
what are you proud of? the scourage of hiv/aids? political unrest? terrorist attacks? tell me what are you proud of?

So, being a developing nation or region (with all the problems that entails) is something to be ASHAMED of? Where did you go to school? In a motor park? The western nations you worship, do you know Stalin slaughtered 10 million of his own people in Russia less than a generation ago? In the two ''world'' (more accurately termed ''European'') wars of the last century, 120 million whites in total were slaughtered by their own kind. That's more than 6 times the number of people killed in all conflict in Africa since independence. In Germany, 6 million Jews were slaughtered in cold blood including millions of women and children. Just a few years ago Americans slaughtered over 2 million innocent Iraqis for no known reason. So Africans do NOT have the monopoly on conflict, violence or disease, and the existence of such situations is no reason for any African to feel ashamed of their Africanness. If anything, Africans are glad that wars, poverty, conflict and disease are decreasing across the continent by all measurements and statistics (If you need documentary evidence, please ask). Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Eliasog: 11:38pm On Dec 08, 2013
There are two ways to judge the situation. First, what can you do to change them, 'nothing', it is their report, programme etc. Let you and me prove them wrong by choosing right people into our govt. who will make our country a place to boast of in commitee of nation. Secondly, we Africans have along to go, let look up at the standard they set, set ours like the asians in every sphere of life. Civilization started here in Africa it must resume at top level.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
Skinni10ne:

Why is it that Africans always bring up the past? We are almost in 2014 and still developing. Leave the past alone, leave Egypt alone...we are not Egyptians, they dont even want to be african.

You are IGNORANT of African history. Learn a thing or two here:

https://www.nairaland.com/326177/tomb-art-ancient-egypt-black
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by achi4u(m): 11:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
obo_man: There are so many problems with Africa if we are to be truly honest with ourselves but I understand what the OP is trying to put across. He thinks BBC's report on Africa is biased but here are my thoughts

1) News generally are meant to be shocking, saddening and pitiful. If you go to BBC or CNN website and read the local news, the news that mainly make headlines are deaths, catastrophes, scandals, etc. This is because as a society, we naturally crave for something shocking, hence why it is fed to us. This therefore means that coverage of positive things across Africa would most likely be shunned, not because of bias but because of human's nature to desire news that are pitiful and shocking.

2) If we think mainstream News broadcasters are not doing enough, we also can be journalists ourselves and enlighten the masses through all forms of media provided by the internet. Nowadays, people ( esp the young) mostly get their news feeds online, so Africans posting positive stories about their continent will go along way to change general bias about Africa. We shouldn't let other people report our stories for us.

3) Finally, if your western friends ask you if there are houses, planes and cars in Africa, just be sarcastic and informative about your reply.. Tell them you swarm Atlantic Ocean to be in USA, and that the swim was treacherous. lol Tell them you live in huts, hence all the snake bites they could see all over your body. grin grin grin .

Thank you brother. I like ur last two answers to the whitegrin
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by shogz89: 12:37am On Dec 09, 2013
If your western friends ask you are their airport in nigeria: tell them our players walk from Nigeria to dubai and s.africa to play football this year, : if they ask are their houses tell them to ask the queen where she slept when she visited,
The fact is just that up till this moment some of them are very dump to realise that their us a word called civilisation here in Africa,, and the most annoying part is if they refer to Africa as a country,, even their big stars who u think are educated enough to know that Africa is a continent..... Before Kim kardashian came to Nigeria, she took on twitter to say I will be going to a country in Africa... Then I reasoned how possible is it for me to be travelling to USA and say am going to a country in North America,,, or can she be travelling to Brazil and say am going to a country in south America
All in all we should also blame ourselves for some of this things, we are not just creative enough to send the right message to the world,, they send the trashy message and all we do is to wait for apology.... They know we could be take for granted
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 09, 2013
all4naai: I am so much concerned about South Africa that cannot even make head of their resources for the good of the continent.

I'll keep on telling you this until you get it through your thick skull: AFRICA IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY!! As for "xenophobia": We will keep on rejecting you until you learn to be individuals and use your own resources for the good of your country!
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Bulldog(m): 8:05am On Dec 09, 2013
that response looks like it's machine generated(cos it didn't even respond to any of the issues raised directly). So dont feel so sure that they listened to your whinning. Besides i dont know why Africa will be wanting to be colonized over and over again. If you feel BBC isn't doing it right, help improve the ones we have already like ait, mbi, Stv etc. In that way you can potray Africa to your own taste as well as give BBC a run for their money

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 09, 2013
Tumisang:

I'll keep on telling you this until you get it through your thick skull: AFRICA IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY!! As for "xenophobia": We will keep on rejecting you until you learn to be individuals and use your own resources for the good of your country!

I couldn't agree more. Nigeria is not South Africa's responsibility. We should learn as individuals to take care of our own. We have the resources, we have the labour force. We have no excuse whatsoever to be poor.

1 Like

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by eaxes: 8:57am On Dec 09, 2013
alienware: civilization started from africa and you 've been unable to replicate that development here. The Egyptians who doesn't want to be lumped together with africans ? U were dey learned tell us why africa still dey backward. Mumu
Guy i lyk ur style, preach on. Mumu people keep saying civilisation started in Africa with Egypt meanwhile the ancient Egyptians were black, they were caucasians but not white european type caucasians.
Even if they weren't white, they wud αvє looked lyk the somalis and ethiopians and those ones are J§† dark skinned caucasians.
The question is which sophisticated civilisation ave come out of west, central and southern africa. All built mud palaces, houses and wore rags. Smh
N☺̶̷̩̥̊͡ i do not think Africans are doomed to been unsophisticated. I love the book written by jared diamond called "guns,germs and steel". I† J§† basically says that the rest of were isolated so didΩ'† learn from new tech. Plus our environment which is tropical didΩ'† help matters either.
When the romans had an empire, the germans, brits, swedes.....were referred to as savages and uncivilised Ãήϑ they lived in huts now i†'s the other way round thanks in part †☺ silvio berlusconis bunga bunga nites, lol.
But even then the romans are caucasian whites §☺ .....
ψє blacks J§† αvє a long way †☺ g☺, n☺ joke.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Arosa(m): 11:03am On Dec 09, 2013
Tumisang:

This is precisely how a daft African ape thinks.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by emmadejust(m): 12:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
For your proffessional screeding and painting
works in your residential and commercial
building/homes.
We give Fine standard finishing in interior and
exterior screeding and painting to the delight and
satisfactory taste of homes owners.
We derive Pleasures in offering extraodinary
services to our customers/client homes to
showcase the beauty, value, and perfection of
our services.we have been adding brilliance
colours,Beautiful designs,coating and wall
protection works .

Try us for your -:
professional screeding
&painting contract.
Decorative painting design.
Material supplier contract
In portharcourt, bayelsa, aba, owerri, enugu and
any location in nigeria for on site inspection and
estimation

Call us 08032721809, 08188227802
Email: techdejust@gmail.com
motto: Our faith, our reality in life
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by POTUT(m): 1:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
I believe that truth should be accepted every time, every ounce of it, not to be based on its ratio with falsehood or ignorance. What the foreign media (BBC and others) air most of the time are the truths about our dark sides...the slums and jungles and wars. If they choose to keep silent on our finer sides, it doesn't mean we should reject the truth of our dark sides. What it does for me personally is to strive to make things better where they are not.

Africans who have seen the world also know that there are dark sides everywhere, homeless people in UK, people without electricity connection in the US...stuff like that. For instance, I have observed that Aljazeera uses a lower camera resolution when filming parts of the US. When I see US streets and buildings on Aljazeera, it doesn't look quite as glossy as it is on CNN or BBC. When they did a report on the electioneering system in the US during the last presidential elections, I heard ordinary US citizens complaining about corruption, dirty money and all sorts of intrigues, you'd almost think they were paid by Aljazeera to say those things...but behold, they are true! It doesn't make americans complain that Aljazeera is showing their dark sides. They simply notch up their own propaganda and make it louder than Aljazeera's.

I'm not bothered at all by any report by BBC, skewed or not. I'm only bothered by the level of our resolve to make things better and better...and better for ourselves.

3 Likes

Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by kolamilan(m): 2:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
Edoboy1: I have noticed this trend too. Its really annoying when you some of their portrays of Africa. At times, I will be so ashamed I will just put off the tv. A friend of mine went abroad and he said the first question a man asked him there was how comfortable is it to sleep on trees? Can you imagine.
grin grin
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
I hate bbc with passion!!! and i wonder why headlines in all western tv stations are about meadle east, as if nothin is happening in their own countries. bunch of propagandists.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Skinni10ne: 4:47pm On Dec 09, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You are IGNORANT of African history. Learn a thing or two here:

https://www.nairaland.com/326177/tomb-art-ancient-egypt-black

Your ignorance is truly bliss. What has ancient Egyptians being black have to do with my comment that Nigerians are not Egyptians and Egyptians today dont want to be African. Im not even gonna direct u to a nairaland topic, what you need to do is go to the Harvard library and stay in the African Studies section for a good year.

Instead answering my question of what you're doing NOW to help ur directing me to ancient history.
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
Tumisang:

Nonsense! Do you think the developed nations see South Africa to be different from other countries in the continent? Bwahaha... Sometimes they use SA as an example to talk about the deplorable conditions of the people of the continent. You have forgotten soon about the showing of peanuts by Zulus as their tradition which is a symbol of primitiveness, on the news media. Keep thinking your country is a developed nation when it is not. This is a clear reason why Africa will remain where it is,backward, because nobody really wants to make a change. Mandela must be crying over this your silly statement and think the next generation of South Africans are just bunches of waste to his legacy. Hahaha... grin grin grin grin

Thank you a little!
Re: BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" by sethken: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
Diasporan:
This your post reminds me of an encounter I had with a Guyanese American few months ago.She told me she thought Mandela was the President of Africa and Nigeria is a state in Africa.Couldn't stop laughing at her ignorance.Don't blame 'most' Americans that see Africa as a single country but blame Africans in the US.Majority of them especially Nigerians when you ask them where they are from they will tell you they are from Africa.It's common amongst the girls.It is also prevalent when you ask them who they are speaking to on the phone the reply you get is that they are speaking to someone in Africa.It annoys me whenever I hear my fellow Nigerians say so.Ghanians and Camerounians I have met are even more specific about their country but for Nigerians the reverse is the case.Am not trying to make excuse for the so called dumb Americans but an 'average' American is not interested in what's happening outside his or her state talkless of other states in America or some other continent.

Can you blame your Nigerian friends who are less specific about their country of origin? We have to sometimes call a spade a spade. It is very hard to come across an American who has not heard something negative about Nigeria. If they have not encountered a rogue Nigerian in person, they have done so via the yahoo email scam. I won't blame anyone who is very slow in telling others he is a Nigerian. Sometimes the word Nigerian can close doors in your face.

Back to the BBC topic. Yes, the Western media focus on the negative, but why won't they when the bulk of the continent is still dependent on Western aid to fight diseases and other socioeconomic problems. I am going to be honest, sometimes it is very difficult to focus on a few well built and nicely styled houses you see in Nigeria and other African countries, when the vast majority of the populace live in shacks. The shacks and deplorable homes take your eyes away from the so called nice houses. The only way we gain respect and international attention is to carry everyone along as a people. A Nigeria where a very few live in nice and well built homes will remain a laughing stock on the international stage. We are our own enemies.You have to give the white man credit. He hates to see another white person live in squalor and penury. He carries everyone along. The white man even assist those who refuse to move up the socioeconomic ladder. Unless we start doing that as a people, our very few high rise buildings and nice homes that belong to the less than the 1% will never attract any attention. All it does is show the world that a few of us live off the coffers of the government, while the majority languish. If we want to see positive things on BBC and CNN, we have to move everyone along. Unless we begin to do that, it will be impossible for any objective mind to ignore the quagmire that stares you in the face as soon as you land in Lagos, or any other Nigerian city, it is practically impossible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Awka, Eagles Hill And Ngozika Extension-photos / Lekki Gardens Managing Director Charged With Manslaughter / Buy Original Floor And Wall Tiles(spanish Tiles)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.