Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook (604 Views)

Abducted Bayelsa Ese: I'm 17 Yrs, I'm Here To Be A Muslim, Don't Want To Go Back / Son-in-law Compelled To Write An Essay By Father-in-law / Attacked By Father- In -law For Catching My Wife Having An Affair. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook by chimajii: 8:06am On Dec 09, 2013
Facebook can bring people together and tear
people apart.
Angela Palmer has spent most of her life
believing that her own mother abandoned her
as a baby. Now, at 44, she’s learned the truth
and has spoken with her mom for the first
time in decades. And while Palmer is thrilled,
her quest isn’t over yet. Now she has to raise funds to bring the mother she never knew
from Croatia to the United States.
Palmer, a medical health project services
coordinator, is seeking the money through
the website Fundly, where, as of Tuesday, she
had raised more than $1,200 of the $4,000
she needs for two round-trip plane tickets for
her mother and her husband.
The new beginning was triggered by, of all
things, a Facebook friend request. “I was at
work the week before Thanksgiving, when I
received a friend request from a woman
named Helga Simeckie in Croatia,” Palmer,
from Oceanside, California, tells Yahoo Shine. “I didn’t think much of it because I get random
requests all the time, until she sent me a
message written in German asking when I
was born.” Palmer, who was born and raised
in Germany, speaks the language fluently and
wrote back, asking who the woman was. “She said she was my mother.
I was shocked because my mother had abandoned me when I was a baby,” says Palmer. She had been raised by her father, who had always told her that after her mother gained custody following their divorce, she dropped the young girl off at a German orphanage when she was less than a year old. “Later, my father took me in, and although he was an alcoholic and mentally and physically abusive, he was the only parent I knew,” Palmer says. But Simeckie tells a different story.
After emailing Palmer the evidence she had — her birth certificate and old family photos — she told Palmer that she hadn’t actually
abandoned her and that Palmer’s father
actually kidnapped her. “She said my father was wanted in Germany for kidnapping and
domestic violence, but he avoided the police
by constantly moving us to new cities,” she
says. It all began to make sense to Palmer, whose father had said he was a traveling salesman and had to keep moving their small family in order to find work. In fact, they moved 12 times before Palmer turned 18.
“Apparently, my paternal grandfather had kept my mother informed of my whereabouts during the years she was in contact with my father, but each time he received a court summons, we moved again,” she says. “I still don’t understand how he managed to escape the law so many times.” In late November, the mother-daughter duo spoke for the first time over Skype with the help of local news affiliate San Diego6 and have emailed each other every day since then.
“I have an amazing gift that I didn’t have last
year and I hope that my story will encourage others to keep looking for lost family
members,” says Palmer. “My story could
happen to anyone.”
Re: BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook by noblebright(m): 8:16am On Dec 09, 2013
wow! wat amezing story cus i tought dat it was only in Nigeria dat u can escape d law n police lol
Re: BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook by chimajii: 8:57am On Dec 09, 2013
very touching story....every1 needs to see this O..
Re: BREAKING!! Woman Finds Out She Was Abducted By Father On Facebook by BENAIJA: 9:26am On Dec 09, 2013
Never give up in anything you are doing or searching for, There is still hope for you. Love your neighbour as you love yourself.

Good Morning Nigerians..

(1) (Reply)

Woman, 45, Charged For Stealing 82 Pigs / A Princess' Predicament. Your Advice, Pease. / 31 Days Of Thanksgiving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.