Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,255 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (2314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3753727 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2311) (2312) (2313) (2314) (2315) (2316) (2317) ... (3835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles200: 8:15am On Sep 18, 2020
ProverbBaelish:

you are talking of the best film on my radar right now

Your taste really suck. No cap!
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles200: 8:21am On Sep 18, 2020
Gmajor:
Mulan (2020)

Mulan 2020 is the live action remake of the classic Disney animated movie about a girl who disguises herself as a man and goes to war in her father's place.

POSTIIVES
1. Unlike most of the Disney live action remakes, this movie is not an exact remake of the original. The villain is different, his motivation is different, there is inclusion of fantasy elements that were not in the original etc.
And I think this is a good decision (in theory anyway).
Almost all of the Disney classics still hold up well today. The animation, voice acting and story all look great till this day, so a lot of people have criticised the live action remakes as soulless cash grabs that have nothing to offer.
This movie on the other hand, tried to tell a story that isn't exact to the original and I think that is quite laudable.

2. The movie looks extremely nice. The location and cinematography are all top notch and as such, the movie is a visual delight.

NEGATIVES

1. As much as I would like praise the fact that the movie tried to do something different, unfortunately, the changes that were made was for the worst.

The core message of the movie feels vastly inferior to the original and a lot of the supporting characters are devoid of personality.

2. The acting isn't too good.

I've noticed that when (some) Chinese people act in a language that isn't Mandarin, their performance leaves so much to be desired and I think that this was the case in this movie.
Some characters in this movie were good like Mulan's father. However, the movie is littered with may instances of sub-par acting.

The actress who plays Mulan is also guilty of this. In some scenes, she in good, however, there are many scenes where she has this beautifully frozen face that is utterly incapable of emoting.

3. Bloodless warfare. Yey!
I understand that this is a PG movie, but the scenes of bloodless warfare really took me out of the movie.
It just felt like, we are looking at a high school play. Someone gets stabbed- you don't see any blood and the blade is also bloodless. Hmm.

4. Weird editing choices.
This movie has a lot of bizarre editing but the one that sticks out for me was in the battlefield where birds start to attack the soldiers and then they form a sort of dome with their shields in order to protect themselves.

Then the bad guys bring out their cannon and begin to shoot the good guys.

OK oh. No problem.

From the wider shot, we could see about 5-7 shield domes. Maybe there are more but we didn't get to see them.

In response, Mulan who is quite far from the position of the bad guys, jumps on a horse, picks up like 5-7 helmets, and then in the next shot, she is very far behind the bad guys - like WTF?
Does she now teleport?

5. For some reason, they decided to not include any of the songs from the original in the movie. There is a bit of the instrumental version of one of the classic songs but that was all.
I. Can understand why they didn't want to make it a musical, however, they should have still included some of the classic songs in the background or in a montage

In conclusion, Mulan, like all Disney live-action remakes suck when compared to the original, however on its own, the movie is just avergish and highly forgettable.

I did a similar review on Mulan on the 'What series are you watching' cos somebody asked over there using my first moniker Achilles100

It was a very poor movie. So much high expectations, the disappointment was enormous.

As I said over there, Disney should stop with the live action remake, they are ruining these beautiful childhood memories.

Lion King was trash. I didn't bother to see it.
Mulan also trash. I regretted the data spent.

Only Aladdin was quite enjoyable.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Tab4kids(f): 10:12am On Sep 18, 2020
I saw The Paramedic yesterday on Netflix. Waste of mb i must say

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles200: 12:10pm On Sep 18, 2020
nani667:
Just saw this new release with Tom Holland... Rating looks good

Give your review when you done
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles200: 12:11pm On Sep 18, 2020
Seunpaul01:
the social dilemma 1O to 1O

It's a must watch for everybody.

The world is going crazy if not worse. And we are all being manipulated to make it happen.

Just saw the trailer, will download it tonight.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by losprince(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2020
Achilles200:

That movie wasn't passing any message.
Arguably. Tho I believe the piece of shit is getting some slack because of its female director, had it been a man that directed this, the outrage would be phenomenal! PC people are such hypocrites.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by losprince(m): 12:18pm On Sep 18, 2020
akure1stson:

very very dangerous..What those girls were exposed to, i pray is not to affect dem in future, especially that Army..
It probably would, that stuff was grotesque.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles200: 12:26pm On Sep 18, 2020
losprince:

Arguably. Tho I believe the piece of shit is getting some slack because of its female director, had it been a man that directed this, the outrage would be phenomenal! PC people are such hypocrites.

Liiikkkeeee. She covers too minority demographics hence the outrage is minimal, she's black and female.

If it was, say a white male, O boy, I am certain neflix would have removed that movie from their platform by now.

Just a scene of the movie I saw, I couldn't even finish watching it, twas disgusting.

They already gave a TED talk about pedophilia saying its a natural sexual orientation, next step is into movies, next thing na into law.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DieRich5: 1:32pm On Sep 18, 2020
project power 8.5/10 nice movie
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ProverbBaelish: 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2020
Achilles200:

Your taste really suck. No cap!
Okkkk
angry
I actually understand what you mean now
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2020
The Gentlemen

Presently rewatching this and been laughing my ass off.

Mad dialogues cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nova15: 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2020
alexistaiwo:
The Gentlemen

Mad dialogues cheesy

One of the best I've seen this year

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 6:44pm On Sep 18, 2020
Bad Boys For Life: 3 Stars out of 4

In as much as I'm a fan of Michael Bay's liking for explosions and action scenes, I'm glad he didn't return for this installment.

Compared to the other two, this is much better especially with the introduction of conflict between Mike and Marcus. The film's narrative goes beyond the job right into their fears, motivations and viewpoints. I also like the fact that their friendship was tested.

However, some scenes were a bit rushed in the first part.

As a side note, Martin Lawrence should please return back to the big screen, I miss that dude. His comedic chops in this film is well timed--

"It's calling me Mike, it's calling me" a la

"I'm trying to pierce into his souuulll.

"Good men, good men, what you wanna do, what you wanna do. Good men, good men.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:55pm On Sep 18, 2020
alexistaiwo:
The Gentlemen

Mad dialogues cheesy

I tried watching this two days ago but can't fathom why I always fall asleep. Not that it was boring but I just don't know. The dialogue was rich.

I tried watching this some months back but same thing— fell asleep till I forgo it. cry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:00pm On Sep 18, 2020
wink

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by nani667: 8:02pm On Sep 18, 2020
Achilles200:

Give your review when you done

7.7 / 10

Very good movie... Tom Holland, Sebastian Stan, Robert Pattinson.. Intriguing Story, good job by the actors, good ending.. Other than End Game I have never really been a fan of Tom Holland, but this was very good... Highly recommended ★★★

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:16pm On Sep 18, 2020
This guy gotta be the OG of composers.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2020
Your P is bigger than the enjoyment derived bruh cheesy

abduleez1:

I tried watching this two days ago but can't fathom why I always fall asleep. Not that it was boring but I just don't know. The dialogue was rich.

I tried watching this some months back but same thing— fell asleep till I forgo it. cry

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2020
Jumanji (The Next Level): 2 stars out of 4.

Felt indifferent about this one, more like a rehash of its predecessor.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by CosmicPhoenix: 12:22am On Sep 19, 2020
Tom Hardy is the new James Bond

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Faboosuarez(m): 12:29am On Sep 19, 2020
CosmicPhoenix:

dh done fck tinz up, i really love tom hardy but nahh
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nova15: 7:29am On Sep 19, 2020
Faboosuarez:

dh done fck tinz up, i really love tom hardy but nahh

He's perfect for it jor
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 7:38am On Sep 19, 2020
Nova15:

He's perfect for it jor

I seriously doubt this news;

For one Tom Hardy is too popular (An A list actor by Hollywood standards) to be cast as James Bond, previous actors were relatively unknown before they filled that role.

As a result of the above, his salary might be somewhat too high, which I'm sure the producers are trying to avoid for a new installment.

Finally his age, he is 43 now and will be 45/46 when he stars in his first James Bond film, although this might not be an issue since Brosnan/Moore started in their 40's. But seriously, isn't that somewhat too old.

If this is true, I'd be surprised.

However I still believe that Michael/Barbara will cast an unknown.

Personally, I want Richard Madden in that tux.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by taiocol: 7:44am On Sep 19, 2020
coffee and Kareem 5/10 funny and interesting
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Faboosuarez(m): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2020
Nova15:

He's perfect for it jor

ain't saying he isn't perfect, dude is brilliant but na James Norton dem suppose give, as per age consideration and Tom ain't tall sef
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Raalsalghul: 8:13am On Sep 19, 2020
Faboosuarez:

ain't saying he isn't perfect, dude is brilliant but na James Norton dem suppose give, as per age consideration and Tom ain't tall sef

Eggzactly. wink
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by joseph1832(m): 8:28am On Sep 19, 2020
CosmicPhoenix:
some peeps believe Henry Cavill would have been better...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Faboosuarez(m): 8:29am On Sep 19, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Eggzactly. wink
like minds bruv, hok wife sef tall pass am lol
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by CosmicPhoenix: 8:48am On Sep 19, 2020
some are even saying idris Elba,which is a no for me,cavill would have been better

joseph1832:
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by VerifiedStalin: 8:50am On Sep 19, 2020
Faboosuarez:

Height is no longer a factor in movie castings. Tom Cruise is the figure head of Mission Impossible franchise, and the guy is only 5"7.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by VerifiedStalin: 8:51am On Sep 19, 2020
joseph1832:

Concurred. Henry Cavilling would portray the hell out of James Bond. He's got the swag and looks.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by VerifiedStalin: 8:58am On Sep 19, 2020
Faboosuarez:

like minds bruv, hok wife sef tall pass am lol

He's not short though. 5"10 isn't considered short in many countries. He's of average height.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2311) (2312) (2313) (2314) (2315) (2316) (2317) ... (3835) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Greatswimmer and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.