Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,515 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3661) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3774719 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3658) (3659) (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) ... (3842) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
Just got my fvvking interest...
The music score promises a gripping murder mystery tale...reminds me of a Best Picture contender — "Promising Young Woman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1cNkZ9o1U

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by lusid: 12:14am On Aug 22, 2023
Lottery Ticket
Lessons
Don't be like Lorenzo
Know your true friends
Don't be a babymama
Have a backup in case he beats you down
Avoid lavish spending
Remember your hood when you make it
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 12:48am On Aug 22, 2023
Man's cooking...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ShaqFu: 9:52am On Aug 22, 2023
Guys, which Batman movie is this? Is it a game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irTj3VjD2s
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:06am On Aug 22, 2023
ShaqFu:

It's a game clip. This should be Batman: Arkham City.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 10:24am On Aug 22, 2023
oyaskii:
It's a game clip. This should be Batman: Arkham City.
ShaqFu:

Nope, it's the new Gotham Knights game
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by lusid: 11:01am On Aug 22, 2023
oyaskii:
I think he's right...No? Box office numbers is not a healthy metrics to measure a film success. Not all movies are destined for box office greatness, doesn't necessarily mean they are bad flicks, if you are familiar with indie genre, you get what I'm saying.

Infact, back before the Oscars went artsy, box office bombs used to regular clear the Awards. "Hugo" (2011) was huge box office bomba, but still genered an impressive 11 Oscar nom, winning 5!.

Box office numbers shouldn't mean much to a true cinephile, and i am not saying movies shouldn't make money, of course they should, it's a business, but it is left for the movie makers and producers to balance it out without tainting the art.
how do they arrive at those figures in box office?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ErenXSatoru(f): 11:39am On Aug 22, 2023
If someone told me heart of Stone was written by AI, I'll believe - and what was the need of playing Fela Kuti Zombie song in Senegal were there no Senegalese songs to play- the movie was so dumb I was just laughing throughout the third act
2/10

the Exorcist - 9/10
If u are a Horror fan and you haven't watched this film, u should; the best horror movie of all times to me, the first act was a slow burn but it was just really intense from there on

Past Lives 8/10
Tearful movie, Oscar bait

Terminator 2 Judgement day 10/10
Best in the Terminator franchise in my opinion
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 2:15pm On Aug 22, 2023
ErenXSatoru:
If someone told me heart of Stone was written by AI, I'll believe - and what was the need of playing Fela Kuti Zombie song in Senegal were there no Senegalese songs to play- the movie was so dumb I was just laughing throughout the third act
2/10

the Exorcist - 9/10
If u are a Horror fan and you haven't watched this film, u should; the best horror movie of all times to me, the first act was a slow burn but it was just really intense from there on

Past Lives 8/10
Tearful movie, Oscar bait

Terminator 2 Judgement day 10/10
Best in the Terminator franchise in my opinion
Come with me if you want to live grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Palehair: 4:40pm On Aug 22, 2023
oyaskii:
I think he's right...No? Box office numbers is not a healthy metrics to measure a film success. Not all movies are destined for box office greatness, doesn't necessarily mean they are bad flicks, if you are familiar with indie genre, you get what I'm saying.

Infact, back before the Oscars went artsy, box office bombs used to regular clear the Awards. "Hugo" (2011) was huge box office bomba, but still genered an impressive 11 Oscar nom, winning 5!.

Box office numbers shouldn't mean much to a true cinephile, and i am not saying movies shouldn't make money, of course they should, it's a business, but it is left for the movie makers and producers to balance it out without tainting the art.
It depends on the artform for sure but when you live in an hyper capitalist world,you don't expect not to expect returns on your investment, it's just the basic principle of business and economics and this basketmouth is looking at it from only the passion perspective,if we all did things for passion, nobody would be paid for shit so many. Passion my ass, Elon musk and Dangote still dey find money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Xavier5(m): 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
BLUE BEETLE --- 9/10

An enthralling DC movie of capitalist quest, love, family, community and aspirations. Actions were great, emotional weight was great, musical scores were great, and the VFX was stunning. I also love the fact that the movie didn't take the conventional route associated with Hollywood films regarding the mother being the emotional support of the lead character, in this movie they went a different route, the father route.

Conclusively, Blue Beetle is a beautiful work of motion picture art. A good entry into the DCU. Yeah, chronologically, it's in the DCEU, but universe setting wise, it's in the DCU set in an unspecified point in the DCU timeline, well according to its director. I really do wish the movie gets its trilogy, and box office success it deserves.

People should see the movie, and look out for Nana 😂. That's officially my favorite character in the movie 😂.

#Xavier

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Xavier5(m): 5:22pm On Aug 22, 2023
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: MUTANT MAYHEM --- 8/10

This is literally the best TMNT movie I've ever seen. But when it comes to movies and series combined, the Nickelodeon series of 2014 --- 2017 takes the number one spot with this movie as the first runners up.

The themes of teenage ambitiousness, teenage naivety, comedic, actions, interest, letting your kids make their own part, personal acceptance, motives for doing what's right, friendship and family was intriguing and beautiful. I love the fact that Mr Rat wasn't referred to as a Sensei or just a Sensei, but rather father, and Jackie Chan nailed it with the Mr Rat role.

One of amazing message from the movie is, negative experience didn't make you who you are, rather you chose to who you are because of negative experience. This could be seen in the characters of Mr Rat and Superfly. Same ill experience from humans, same resentments towards humans, but different approach to things.

Honestly, I would have given the movie 9+/10, but unfortunately certain things acted as a stumbling block to that.
1.) The racial swapping of April O' Neil from White to Black, all for what? So called inclusive reasons? I have no issues in gender, sexual or racial swapping fictional characters as far as they're unpopular, but popular ones that's a no no, it's inappropriate and irrational. Seriously, there's no reason to do that, aside from some political correctness reasons.
If you want a character with a desired gender, sexual or racial identity, you create original characters, or alter the identity of unpopular characters, and not popular ones.
I wouldn't have had issues if this was done from all angles, but unfortunately it's only being done from one angle. You don't see Hollywood swap Black to White, gay to straight, women to men. It's always the opposite, White to Black, straight to gay, and men to women. That's ridiculous. If you're going to swap, do it across all spheres, not just some. If this shit is done from all angles, people will get fed up with it especially the Blacks, gays and women. No one likes their representatives being altered for political correctness reasons.

2.) The unrealistic third act battle scene. How can a monster be attacking New York, and the military were absent? Not even the law enforcements were present, but the media were around reporting the news while the almighty United States military were on vacation. Impressive, so impressive. If such happened in a third world country like Nigeria, it would have been understandable, but a first world country? I guess anything to make the turtles shine is highly welcomed 😏.
What happened to the military partnering with the turtles and mutants to stop the monster attack? What happened to the military intervening but unable to stop the attack thus leaving the fate of New York in the hands of the turtles and mutants?
This is one reason I will forever love the animated Justice League series back in the day. Its city wide battle scene in the origins episodes was so realistic. There was military intervention even though they couldn't neutralize the threats hence paving the way for the Justice League to do the job.

3.) It's animation design is a no no to me. I don't know for others, but to me, it was unpleasant. It looked more like a motion picture of wet paint. Honestly, the TMNT with the best animation design and quality is the Nickelodeon's animated series of 2014 --- 2017

But anyways, despite its flaws, the movie is amazing. Everyone should go see it.

#Xavier

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Xavier5(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2023
HEART OF STONE --- 7/10

An entertaining, adventurous, amazing, pretty spy action movie. This is one of the few movies that got me hooked from start to finish. Gadot was impressive.

Initially, I was interested in the movie as a fan of Gal Gadot and spy actions, but after the criticisms targeted at Gadot's performance, my interest augmented. I wanted to see how bad Gadot's performance was. Yeah, she lacked the vibe and charisma of a badass action character. This was in total contrast to her role in Red Target, Wonder Woman, and keeping Up With The Joneses.

At first, I have to admit, I was turned off, but fell in line when I understood the kind of character she was playing. She wasn't playing a typical action badass character, rather she was playing a cute but lethal character. A character that is meant to appear innocent and harmless but that is profusely dangerous. A perfect decoy for her undercover roles.

Truth is, Gadot have spent most of her time in the action genre it now looks like she lacks diversity in acting. It's better she delve into other genres. She's a good actress but people won't think so, they won't think she has long range of acting skills. This is one reason I'm anticipating her Snow White, and Cleopatra movies. We need to see if she's diversified in acting or she's just a mono (which isn't a bad thing if she is, not everybody is blessed with diverse skills. Sometimes, it's good to stick with your forte e.g Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish with their comic genres, and Jason Statham with actions, imagine Jason Statham playing romance 😂).

Aside that, Heart of Stone is a pretty movie, one that I would recommend, likewise would love to see a franchise of, thank God they've set it up for a sequel.

#Xavier

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Xavier5(m): 5:59pm On Aug 22, 2023
majesticguy:

Disney and Pixar really raised the bar for animated movies. Over the years they have been very consistent in delivering original stories, great CGI pictures and music scores that are soothing to ears. The likes of Zootopia, Coco, Encanto, Soul are testaments to the amazing feat they have achieved so far in the animation genre.

I expected Elemental to follow the path of it predecessors. The animation style, color and concept, were mesmerizing, it keeps you transfixed and captivated on the screen.

The music scores like always were rhythmic, melodious and pleasing to the ears.

They got everything but the story right. It was very unoriginal and cliche. The story stenchs of mediocrity, something we've seen numerous times. In light of that, and their track records and success on previous animated movies, it was really a disappointment. They could have come up with something unique, something different, something better. They are Disney and Pixar for fvck sake and not some indie studio.

Call me an arm chair critic all you like, but that right there is the unclothed truth.

What exactly, regarding lighthearted romance, will Pixar and Disney do that has never been done before? Except you want them to start delving into other aspects of romance like romance thrillers, but unfortunately those contents won't be appropriate for the family friendly audience.

I always tell people, 90 to 99 percent of films are repetitive, that's what keep the industry going. If studios are to produce films with stories that I've never been done before, we will be having very few film releases, and with time no films at all, because they eventually will run out of ideas, repetition is not allowed remember.

Truth is, for the industry to continue operating, and for us to continue getting films, most are bound to be repetitive. That's why I always tell people, your focus shouldn't be on whether the story is repetitive or not (except in a franchise), but rather;

* On if the "repetitive story" was told well, as regards rationality and details.
* On if the characterization was well done.
* On if the movie overall, was enjoyable.
* On if the themes of the movie were well explored.
* On if the quality of the VFX, acting, cinematography and musical score was good.

When we put this into consideration, we will discover that lots of films that we criticize for being repetitive are good and enjoyable. I think that's the lens we should critic Elemental from.

#Xavier
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 6:03pm On Aug 22, 2023
🎥 Atomic Blonde (2017) = 6/10 ✔️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
🎥 The Wailing (2016) = 6.7/10 ✔️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 6:06pm On Aug 22, 2023
🎥 Jungle (2017) = 5.8/10

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Xavier5(m): 6:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
MetroLane:

Power of Love grin because na their love strong pass

While watching the movie, my 8y/o niece said "let them touch each other let me rest".....She sef don know as the story dey go grin

Just like someone pointed out, It felt like I was watching Zootopia-Into the multiverse, only difference was that in this verse, touching is reserved for elements that are alike.

Storyline, same old-same old.

Is that not the whole point of the movie? To show how people of difference worlds --- symbolized by elementals --- can come together in love. The movie is all about love being the bridge between worlds or between people of differences be it race, religion, socio-economic class, or political worldviews. Elementals was only a symbolic representation of these differences.

Talking about straightforwardness of the plot, that was evident from the trailer. I wonder what some critics were expecting. It was well known how things would end. Everyone knows the movie would have ended with the hero and heroine either being lovers or close friends (due to their inability to touch).

With this, I wonder what the criticism regarding its story is about actually. Knowing Its end from the beginning, all thanks to its concept and trailers, one would have just decided to spare his or herself the energy and time of seeing the movie.

Truth is, not every movie is meant to be mysterious, not every movie is meant to be unpredictable. Some films are meant to be straightforward and predictable. In cases like this, emphasis are;

* On if the "straightforward or predictable story" was told well, as regards rationality and details.
* On if the characterization was well done.
* The overall enjoyability of the film
* On if the themes of the movie were well explored.
* The quality of the VFX, acting, cinematography and musical scores.

If Elementals is viewed from the above lens, one might end up appreciating the movie.

What's my view regarding Elementals? Well considering the above lens or rule, it's a regular Disney/ Pixar movie but pretty enjoyable. It's VFX was amazing. It's a 6/10 for me.

#Xavier

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2023
This movie looks incredible

Too bad it's a Netflix original

Imagine watching this film in a cinema.

Rebel Moon looks like a real blockbuster not the kind of movie you watch at home.

Warner Bros should do the needful and bring this man back home where he belongs.

WB is the studio that made Zack Snyder a household name, just like they did for Christopher Nolan

Zack Snyder's talents are being wasted at fvcking Netflix

My man needs to go back home ASAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHLOXbFZtI

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 8:01pm On Aug 22, 2023
I'll be there no matter what cool

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 8:01pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

Rebel Moon looks like a real blockbuster not the kind of movie you watch at home.

Warner Bros should do the needful and bring this man back home where he belongs.

WB is the studio that made Zack Snyder a household name, just like they did for Christopher Nolan

Omo this looks amazing already

Zack is cooking
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 8:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
pu7pl3:

Omo this looks amazing already

Zack is cooking

He is really cooking

I deserve to be in a cinema on December 22nd watching this movie in 3D , not on my fvcking TV or my fvcking laptop embarassed

This life no balance cry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

He is really cooking

I deserve to be in a cinema on December 22nd watching this movie in 3D , not on my fvcking TV or my fvcking laptop embarassed

This life no balance cry

Netflix go use this one get bragging rights for years.
Their W.

WB has something like this with Dune sha
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

this should have been released in the cinemas...

Just watched it on YT...
Epic and

I can't wait...

Now this is a real movie
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 9:33pm On Aug 22, 2023
pu7pl3:

Netflix go use this one get bragging rights for years.
Their W.

WB has something like this with Dune sha

I hope the writing is just as good as dem visuals.

Snyder is an excellent director when it comes to visuals and highly entertaining action sequences.

But the writing in his movies dey get k-leg sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:38pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

Snyder is an excellent director when it comes to visuals and highly entertaining action sequences.

But the writing in his movies dey get k-leg sometimes

Which Kain disclaimer be dis?? 😂😂
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 9:40pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

But the writing in his movies dey get k-leg sometimes.

I'm also worried about Sofia Boutella as the leading actor.

I have seen her in Kingsman, The Mummy and Hotel Atermis but only in supporting roles.

She has never been a lead and I doubt she can carry this movie
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2023
abduleez1:

Which Kain disclaimer be dis?? 😂😂

Everybody know this one nau

Snyder is excellent as long as you don't let him do most of the writing work

BVS, Army of the Dead, Kryptonian Zeus and all the weird sh*t he had planned for Justice League sequels still turns my stomach anytime I remember them
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2023
BlackManta:

Everybody know this one nau

Snyder is excellent as long as you don't let him do most of the writing work

BVS, Army of the Dead, Kryptonian Zeus and all the weird sh*t he had planned for Justice League sequels still turns my stomach anytime I remember them

LMFAO..... I know... Just pulling your legs.

The one wey annoy me pass na killing Dick Grayson in BVS without we even setting eyes on the actor at all despite telling a story of old man Bats.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:00am On Aug 23, 2023
Awards buzzy film PAST LIVES is out for downloads. 😎

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:01am On Aug 23, 2023
My most anticipated films for the rest of the year..

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by nani667: 7:01am On Aug 23, 2023
Blu-ray ⬇️

(1) (2) (3) ... (3658) (3659) (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) ... (3842) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.