Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (873) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3727719 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) ... (3828) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by newjosboy: 3:47am On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

I don't think so.
Deadpool and Suicide Squad are anti-hero movies.

What do you guys mean by "anti-hero"? In my own lay man's mind, I am thinking it is a "villain". Hope I am right.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 4:37am On Oct 17, 2018
newjosboy:

What do you guys mean by "anti-hero"? In my own lay man's mind, I am thinking it is a "villain". Hope I am right.

Yes. Gangster Squad are bunch of villains carrying out a good cause.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 4:47am On Oct 17, 2018
newjosboy:

Anti-hero simply means that the hero is not actually a good guy (but has some redeeming qualities).

For instance, the heroes that save the world in suicide squad are all criminals- Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer croc etc

In Venom, neither Eddie Brock nor Venom are good guys despite being the heroes of the film. Eddie Brock is a douchebag reporter that got his girlfriend fired by hacking her laptop to get info about a shady business man. Venom himself does not mind killing or eating people.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by newjosboy: 4:50am On Oct 17, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Anti-hero simply means that the hero is not actually a good guy (but has some redeeming qualities).

For instance, the heroes that save the world in suicide squad are all criminals- Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer croc etc

In Venom, neither Eddie Brock nor Venom are good guys despite being the heroes of the film. Eddie Brock is a douchebag reporter that got his girlfriend fired by hacking her laptop to get info about a shady business man. Venom himself does not mind killing or eating people.

Thanks, now I gerrit.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 5:19am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Oh, it's super easy to poke holes in his assertions using his number 3 definition as my foothold, but I sensed that he just wanted to argue for argument sake, and I wasn't in the mood.

I have a busy day tomorrow, so I'll try to make this as brief as possible

First, what is science fiction? It's not something you can give a straightforward definition to - it has several layers to it like multiple major (and minor) subgenres and themes. There is hard science fiction, there is science fiction fantasy, and speculative fiction. You can google all these, I'm not making it up.

Now, let's take them one after the other:
- Hard Science fiction: This is a science that is sound and well researched, with emphasis on scientific law accuracy. It can be futuristic like Interstellar, or contemporary like Children of Men.
- Science Fiction Fantasy: A very popular genre that blends science fiction with fantasy. It contains elements which violates the scientific laws of the real word. Notable examples of science fiction fantasy movies are the Star Wars franchise, and The Matrix trilogy.
- Speculative fiction: It's pretty much like science fantasy, but on crack. It encompasses several genres like dystopia, superhero, horror, apocalyptic, supernatural fiction, etc. Notable movies are Deadpool and The Exorcist

From the above analysis, it's obvious that science fiction is a very broad genre, and most certainly cannot be quantified by mere three completely-devoid-of-context definitions picked from the internet (no offense, Jeromeblack). To define sci-fi, you have to first understand the cogs and torques and pistons that drive the engine.

cc Beorn.

Koice is on some next level bullshite

1) There is no genre called "contemporary science fiction". Contemporary in this case means "new". If you google "contemporary science fiction", you will get different types of science fiction novels that exist from 2000.

2) There is contemporary fiction though. But this relates to realistic fiction that focuses on themes of growing up and confronting personal and social problems. This genre portrays characters coming to understand themselves and others. This is very different from science fiction and it remains a separate genre.

3) Hard science fiction simply means that the science or technology is scientifically accurate. There is specific attention to scientific accuracy. For instance, "Interstellar" is hard science fiction. The point here is that in hard science fiction, the story can be futuristic or speculative as long as it doesnt contradict modern scientific theories.

4) If "searching" is science fiction, then all modern FBI/police movies are science fiction. The FBI uses social media in the same way to get info about suspects. All hacking movies are now science fiction. You can see the slippery slope that koicereloaded is falling into with his point of view.

5) My third defintion still disqualifies "searching" as science fiction as there is nothing "highly imaginative" or "fantastic" about using social media to track people-

"-fiction of a highly imaginative or fantastic kind, typically involving some actual or projected scientific phenomenon"

=====================================================

Koice is mistaken if he thinks that this is an argument. No, this is a correction. I am correcting him with evidence. Every single point I made is backed up with facts. This is why I use proper definitions to back my statements. Anyone can google. Unlike him, I am not making up things from nowhere.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 5:49am On Oct 17, 2018
In fact, none of these hacking or police procedural films/tv shows are listed as science fiction on imd and wikipedia

-Black Hat
-IT
-Blindspot
-Diehard 4.0
-enemy of the state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 6:20am On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:

I don't think so.
Deadpool and Suicide Squad are anti-hero movies.

I mean in the MCU....
And Deadpool is a conflicted individual....grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sod09(m): 6:43am On Oct 17, 2018
omoowhe:
Just re-watch sicario 1 and mennnnn that shit was awesome.. .....completely trilled once again
8/10
old link to the part 1
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 6:51am On Oct 17, 2018
SAMBHOSS:

I mean in the MCU....
And Deadpool is a conflicted individual....grin
There's no anti-hero in the MCU.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 7:25am On Oct 17, 2018
Unfriended: Dark Web. This one does not come near to the prequel at all.

I don't agree that Searching is sci-fi cos there is nothing scientifically fictional about it. All that was done in the movie can be done right now as we speak and that totally disqualifies it. That brings me to the question, is James Bond scifi?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 17, 2018
JeromeBlack:

cc Beorn.

Koice is on some next level bullshite

1) There is no genre called "contemporary science fiction". Contemporary in this case means "new". If you google "contemporary science fiction", you will get different types of science fiction novels that exist from 2000.
Hahaha. This is crazeeee!!

Buddy! grin

To get a sense of what contemporary/social science fiction is all about, you have to take it apart. Contemporary fiction simply means "realistic" fiction, not "new". It's a genre that entails our social and personal problems, and how we deal with them as a society. When you apply science to it, it becomes something like "realistic science fiction" or the scientific study of human society and social relationships. It's really that simple, lolz.

At the highlighted, OMG, you got it sooo wrong, buddy. What you saw is contemporary science fiction novels of the "21st century". There are 19th and 20th contemporary science fiction or social science fiction as it's more commonly known.

And the fact that you contradicted yourself in two sentences didn't escape me either. In one sentence, you said there is nothing like contemporary science fiction, then in another, acknowledged that contemporary science fiction novels exist. Hehehe. If contemporary science fiction genre is fictitious as you claimed, then why did learned men and women write under a "fictitious" genre in the first place , heh? Or are those authors fictitious too? Hehehe.

Here's a link to pre-21st century contemporary science books.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8653.Best_Social_Science_Fiction

Maybe you will learn something...

JeromeBlack:

2) There is contemporary fiction though. But this relates to realistic fiction that focuses on themes of growing up and confronting personal and social problems. This genre portrays characters coming to understand themselves and others. This is very different from science fiction and it remains a separate genre.
Hahaha, Man, you're just confused. I've already dealt with this. And word to the wise; stop quoting what you see on google word for word. Without context, they don't make any sense.

You're just treading water to keep from drowning. Kinda sad, but understandable. Hehehe

JeromeBlack:

3) Hard science fiction simply means that the science or technology is scientifically accurate. There is specific attention to scientific accuracy. For instance, "Interstellar" is hard science fiction. The point here is that in hard science fiction, the story can be futuristic or speculative as long as it doesnt contradict modern scientific theories.
This is basically what I said yesterday evening, so what else is new, hmn?

JeromeBlack:

4) If "searching" is science fiction, then all modern FBI/police movies are science fiction. The FBI uses social media in the same way to get info about suspects. All hacking movies are now science fiction. You can see the slippery slope that koicereloaded is falling into with his point of view.

5) My third defintion still disqualifies "searching" as science fiction as there is nothing "highly imaginative" or "fantastic" about using social media to track people-

"-fiction of a highly imaginative or fantastic kind, typically involving some actual or projected scientific phenomenon"

Blah blah blah... First of all, endeavor to understand what contemporary/social science fiction entails, then come back and let's talk. This is an assignment I'm giving to you. Understand what it means, and endeavor to have an intimate knowledge of every cog that drives it.

JeromeBlack:

=====================================================

Koice is mistaken if he thinks that this is an argument. No, this is a correction. I am correcting him with evidence. Every single point I made is backed up with facts. This is why I use proper definitions to back my statements. Anyone can google. Unlike him, I am not making up things from nowhere.

Hehehe. What fact? You don't even know what you're talking about. You remind me of an employee that is trying too hard to half-ass their way to promotion, but keep failing at the simplest of tasks. Cheers.

PS: That's it for now. Won't be coming online for awhile today.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by newjosboy: 7:34am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:

I don't agree that Searching is sci-fi cos there is nothing scientifically fictional about it. All that was done in the movie can be done right now as we speak and that totally disqualifies it. That brings me to the question, is James Bond scifi?

People wey sabi analyze movies make una answer this one oh.
Me I come to get movie titles in this house and run to download and come back to give my rating.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:

Yup. 007 franchise is definitely a sci-fi in the contemporary sense.

Read up on science fiction and pay special attention to hard science fiction. Research it thoroughly. After which, perhaps, Searching being a contemporary/social science fiction will make better sense to you.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 17, 2018
newjosboy:

Me I come to get movie titles in this house and run to download and come back to give my rating.

Mehn, I wish I can be like you. Simple life. smiley
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 8:24am On Oct 17, 2018
newjosboy:

No worry. We go change ur name to RunGoDownload.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 8:30am On Oct 17, 2018
Kaycee7:
There's no anti-hero in the MCU.

Venom is ?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 8:39am On Oct 17, 2018
SAMBHOSS:

Venom is ?
Sony
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 8:56am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

From your definition, cont. sci-fi deals with issues of today utilizing sci-fi. Now Searching deals with an issue of today but is it science fiction? I don't think so. It might be considered cont. fiction but including sci-fi means its scientific elements are imaginative and futuristic which they are not. A movie that could be termed cont. sci-fi is Children of Men or Avatar. If Searching is sci-fi, maybe Unfriended too can be considered cont. sci-fi

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SAMBHOSS(m): 9:45am On Oct 17, 2018
Kaycee7:
Sony

olorun...grin

Venom isn't in the MCU?
VENOM
THAT WAS IN SPIDERMAN??
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:51am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded, having throughly read through a number of sites, I finally agree that JeromeBlack is right on this one. Searching is no sci-fi neither are James Bond movies and a lot of other movies that the involves the use of computers, science or technology. If that were to be case, that means TV series like Strike Back which also uses computers/technology will be classified as Sci-fi because there's nothing special used in Searching technology-wise that hasn't been used in Strike Back and a lot of other movies.

I also read on contemporary Sci-fi and from what I read, it wasn't under the subgenres of Sci-fi in movies category but rather in novels. None of the sites I read listed contemporary sci-fi as subgenre, but HARD Sci-fi was listed with Interstellar given as an example.

I even went further to Google 2018 sci-fi movies and none mentioned Searching in any way. Even one site listed sci-fi movies that are yet to drop this year and Searching was nowhere to be found.

Based on my thorough investigation, I agree with JeromeBlack and a host of every other sites that doesn't place Searching as a sci-fi.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2018
Kaycee7:
Sony
Sony partnered with MCU to produce Venom. Google it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:
From your definition, cont. sci-fi deals with issues of today utilizing sci-fi. Now Searching deals with an issue of today but is it science fiction? I don't think so. It might be considered cont. fiction but including sci-fi means its scientific elements are imaginative and futuristic which they are not. A movie that could be termed cont. sci-fi is Children of Men or Avatar. If Searching is sci-fi, maybe Unfriended too can be considered cont. sci-fi

Contemporary science fiction a scientific study of human society and social relationship. Basically, it is social science. And social science encompasses a wide range of social elements like satire, cyberpunk and whatnot, with a commonality that the story been told doesn't violate the scientific laws of the real world.

Here is the best excerpt that explains this reasonably well:

Ursula LeGuin coined the term "social science fiction" to describe speculative fiction that explores social evolution, change, alternatives, and science impacts on human relationships, rather than the mechanics or physics of technology. It's a fuzzy definition, that would probably include "anthropological" science fiction, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic narratives, and a number of other hard-to-pidgeonhole works set in alternative universes or on
alternative timelines

In Searching, a story was told entirely through a character's laptop screen, no? Don't tell me you didn't notice the significant role electronic devices (modern scientific technologies) played on the whole plot line. Heck, they were the foundation of the plot lines. The film is very technical without becoming outrageous. It certainly got it right on the contemporary science department - all true websites, technologies, and how modern technology plays quite an important role in our lives. It doesn't get more contemporary science fiction than Searching, buddy. The film ticked all the right boxes, and more.

I haven't watched Unfriended, but by the sound of it, I'm fairly certain it falls within the boundaries of contemporary sci-fi too.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:
KoiceReloaded, having through read through a number of sites, I finally agree that JeromeBlack is right on this one. Searching is no sci-fi neither is James Bond movies and a lot of other movies that the involves the use of computers, science or technology. If that were to be case, that means TV series like Strike Back which also uses computers/technology will be classified as Sci-fi because there's nothing special used in Searching technology-wise that hasn't been used in Strike Back and a lot of other movies.

I also read on contemporary Sci-fi and from what I read, it wasn't under the subgenres of Sci-fi in movies category but rather in novels. None of the sites I read listed contemporary sci-fi as subgenre, but HARD Sci-fi was listed with Interstellar given as an example.

I even went further to Google 2018 sci-fi movies and none mentioned Searching in any way. Even one site listed sci-fi movies movies that are yet to drop this year and Searching was nowhere to be found.

Based on my thorough investigation, I agree with JeromeBlack and a host of every other sites that doesn't place Searching as a sci-fi.

Lolz. It's not merely by looking, you gotta know what to look for and where to look. You ain't looking at the right places.

On 007, go through this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy-Fi_(subgenre)

On Searching, it's a contemporary sci-fi, buddy. You don't have to believe it. It is what it is. Maybe in about 5 to 10 years period, when you google it again, you will see it the IMBd sci-fi category lists. A lot of experts don't know much about it right now, as it's a relatively new movie.

My brother whom is into scriptwriting taught me all I know about genres. I wish there's a way I can get him to come school y'all on this topic. Anyhoo, I'm done trying to explain. What you don't know, you don't know.

PS: FYI, contemporary science is better known as social science fiction. Like I said, it's not merely by looking, you gotta know what you're looking for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Social_science_fiction_films
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:27am On Oct 17, 2018
Beorn:
KoiceReloaded, having throughly read through a number of sites, I finally agree that JeromeBlack is right on this one. Searching is no sci-fi neither are James Bond movies and a lot of other movies that the involves the use of computers, science or technology. If that were to be case, that means TV series like Strike Back which also uses computers/technology will be classified as Sci-fi because there's nothing special used in Searching technology-wise that hasn't been used in Strike Back and a lot of other movies.

I even went further to Google 2018 sci-fi movies and none mentioned Searching in any way. Even one site listed sci-fi movies that are yet to drop this year and Searching was nowhere to be found.

Beorn, you are too much! grin

Cheers bro.

I owe you a drink any time you are in Lagos.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by MJBOLT: 10:40am On Oct 17, 2018
sony partnership with marvel doesnt mean venom is part of the MCU

Beorn:

Sony partnered with MCU to produce Venom. Google it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by sod09(m): 10:52am On Oct 17, 2018
troubleseller:

exactly..the first one was way better
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Biggty(m): 11:02am On Oct 17, 2018
The Angel 7.5/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 11:03am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Contemporary science fiction a scientific study of human society and social relationship. Basically, it is social science. And social science encompasses a wide range of social elements like satire, cyberpunk and whatnot, with a commonality that the story been told doesn't violate the scientific laws of the real world.

Here is the best excerpt that explains this reasonably well:

Ursula LeGuin coined the term "social science fiction" to describe speculative fiction that explores social evolution, change, alternatives, and science impacts on human relationships, rather than the mechanics or physics of technology. It's a fuzzy definition, that would probably include "anthropological" science fiction, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic narratives, and a number of other hard-to-pidgeonhole works set in alternative universes or on
alternative timelines

In Searching, a story was told entirely through a character's laptop screen, no? Don't tell me you didn't notice the significant role electronic devices (modern scientific technologies) played on the whole plot line. Heck, they were the foundation of the plot lines. The film is very technical without becoming outrageous. It certainly got it right on the contemporary science department - all true websites, technologies, and how modern technology plays quite an important role in our lives. It doesn't get more contemporary science fiction than Searching, buddy. The film ticked all the right boxes, and more.

I haven't watched Unfriended, but by the sound of it, I'm fairly certain it falls within the boundaries of contemporary sci-fi too.

How market?

grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 17, 2018
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 17, 2018
JeromeBlack:

How market?

grin

See your big crooked teeth. cheesy

Hope you learned one or two things from reading that.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:26am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Lolz. It's not merely by looking, you gotta know what to look for and where to look. You ain't looking at the right places.

On 007, go through this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy-Fi_(subgenre)

On Searching, it's a contemporary sci-fi, buddy. You don't have to believe it. It is what it is. Maybe in about 5 to 10 years period, when you google it again, you will see it the IMBd sci-fi category lists. A lot of experts don't know much about it right now, as it's a relatively new movie.

My brother whom is into scriptwriting taught me all I know about genres. I wish there's a way I can get him to come school y'all on this topic. Anyhoo, I'm done trying to explain. What you don't know, you don't know.

PS: FYI, contemporary science is better known as social science fiction. Like I said, it's not merely by looking, you gotta know what you're looking for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Social_science_fiction_films

On 007, it's listed under a subgenre of SPY-FY because it contains elements of Sci-fi which I agree with (like Bond's watches with laser beams that can cut through metal objects, or magnets that can deflect bullets), but it's listed as spy-fi not Sci-fi. Clearly, you can see the distinction here. But the argument on whether Bond movies can be sci-fi is credible enough because of the use of technology yet to be produced in reality (exactly what JeromeBlack was trying to explain on why technology in Searching was just a basic technology used by all), so I can give you that.

But for Searching, nah, I disagree. Some of The technology used in Bond movies are not regular technologies, while EVERY technology or science in Searching are basic technologies even kids can operate. It's just use of cam recorders and social media and phone calls. Nothing irregular about it.

In conclusion, if you insist that Searching is a sci-fi movie, then you must agree that TV shows like 24 and Strike Back where more advanced technologies like hacking of computers/phones and satellite images are used in real time to solve crimes, are both sci-fi movies. Which shows the level of the ridiculousness you'll be stooping to with such assertions.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2018
KoiceReloaded:
For those that are still doubting Searching has something to do with tech, or that tech didn't play any major role:

https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/sony-searching-rise-convention-john-cho-1202871254/

https://m.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2168124/searching-film-review-john-cho-hi-tech-mystery-thriller?edition=international

https://m.gulfnews.com/leisure/movies/reviews/searching-film-review-a-riveting-and-enigmatic-tech-thriller-1.2282753

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/searching-is-a-technological-marvel-heres-how-they-made-it/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/movies/searching-movie-technology.html

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/reviews/searching-john-cho/

Don't argue with your grandfather grin

Nobody is arguing that technology didn't play a part in the movie, all we are saying is, if we're to judge by the role of basic technology, then every film out there that uses basic technology in the plot automatically becomes a sci-fi movies, e.g 24 series.

(1) (2) (3) ... (870) (871) (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) ... (3828) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: armadeo(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.