Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (879) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3745119 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (876) (877) (878) (879) (880) (881) (882) ... (3833) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Seunpaul01(m): 9:03pm On Oct 19, 2018
alexistaiwo:
I expect "Searching" to walk away with a couple of awards this year.

Nice concept and storytelling.
It tells everything about the modern world.
People who don't give a damn about you won't hesitate to fake it just for social media likes and shares.

I can't help wondering what will happen if a Nigerian father has a missing daughter and one yeye funeral company send him mail advertising their services.

God will entertain visitors grin

8.6/10.

The only plot that failed the movie was the Funeral Association or whatever that sent the guy mail. We don't know who owns the association or how it come on. And the lady was found at the funeral without the man of the dead.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 19, 2018
I don't follow?!

Seunpaul01:

The only plot that failed the movie was the Funeral Association or whatever that sent the guy mail. We don't know who owns the association or how it come on. And the lady was found at the funeral without the man of the dead.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

Oya, Dig your way into more blunders out of that blunder make we see.

Cyberpunk is a combination of low-life and high-tech in a futuristic setting, but in a broader definition, can also include elements of hacking and espionage, involving electronic devices.

Sounds familiar? Yup. SEARCHING. cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 9:11pm On Oct 19, 2018
alexistaiwo:

I am 15 years old but we aren't here to deliberate on my age, are we?

grin

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 19, 2018
For sci-fi freaks like me, enjoy:

- Cyberpunk Galore and Related Interests
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2018
alexistaiwo:
I expect "Searching" to walk away with a couple of awards this year.
Not sure it will. It's too low budget and very low key.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 19, 2018

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 19, 2018
troubleseller:

Wait and see.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2018
troubleseller:

It has won a couple of awards already.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:26pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Cyberpunk is a combination of low life and high tech in a futuristic setting, but in a broader definition, can also include elements of hacking and espionage, involving electronic devices.

Sounds familiar? Yup. SEARCHING cheesy

With the involvement of electronic devices, suffice it to say every modern film with people making use of phones, automatically qualifies it as cyberpunk. LMAO. Try another excuse. grin grin

There's no futuristic setting or advanced technology that's out of the ordinary. If you continue in this path, na to dig your E-grave remain. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

With the involvement of electronic devices, suffice it to say every modern film with people making use of phones, automatically qualifies it as cyberpunk. LMAO. Try another excuse. grin grin

There's no futuristic setting or advanced technology that's out of the ordinary. If you continue in this path, na to dig your E-grave remain. grin

Notice that I highlighted the hacking and espionage part. And cyberpunk doesn't always have to have a futuristic settings or advance technology. Sometimes, hacking is enough.

Die Hard 4 is cyberpunk. Imitation Game is cyberpunk, and Hackers (both 1995 and 2016) were cyberpunk.

Don't take my word for it, check the link below for these movies:

I think I have successfully dug myself out. cheesy

PS: The tv show, Mr. Robot is also cyberpunk.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 9:51pm On Oct 19, 2018
Seunpaul01:

The inspector's son who's been using a fake picture of Hannah to stalk the girl on Youcast as fish_chips is the owner of the fake site because the Funeral Association still had the fake pic of the model.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by samuelchimmy(m): 9:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

Searching doesn't belong to cyberpunk subgenre of sci-fi. I doubt you understand what cyberpunk is all about.
OK thanks now i know....
modified
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Notice that I highlighted the hacking and espionage part. And cyberpunk doesn't always have to have a futuristic settings or advance technology. Sometimes, hacking is enough.

Die Hard 4 is cyberpunk. Imitation Game is cyberpunk, and Hackers (both 1995 and 2016) were cyberpunk.

Don't take my word for it, check the link below for these movies:

I think I have successfully dug myself out. cheesy

PS: The tv show, Mr. Robot is also cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk is often described as "high tech and low life" - a dystopic world, in which hyper-capitalism (or the corporate state) has created a tiny upper class and a massive, disenfranchised lower class. This lower class is inhabited by sleazy characters who have limited access to the technological advances that have benefited the upper class, and so the poor masses are forced to find their own improvised versions of these tools. These improvised resources generally include jury rigged cybernetic enhancements, which is where the "cyber" part of "Cyberpunk" comes from.

Note: Almost all Cyberpunk media is futuristic , but most futuristic media is not Cyberpunk.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/114587/what-separates-a-cyberpunk-setting-from-a-futuristic-setting

See highlighted, where are those parts in Searching? One minute you dismiss the hacking and espionage in Strike Back and 24 when I trying to point out the error in your assertion, next minute you're using hacking to categorize Searching as cyberpunk. You can't eat your cake and have it. Searching can't be classified as a cyberpunk. Impossible!! Even if you remove the futuristic angle, other branches of cyberpunk rendered your argument invalid. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:17pm On Oct 19, 2018
BTW, KoiceReloaded, can you kindly point out the hacking that happened in Searching. I'm curious to know where the hacking came from.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by samuelchimmy(m): 10:22pm On Oct 19, 2018
The spy that dumped me' 2018

One of the most hillarous movies of 2018.....
Ah swear this movie will captivate you with a Lott a punch lines...
Though the normal hollywood CIA agent voyage to the Europe.... But this one comes with a twist as the two supposed agents are not really agents but two grossly funny single ladies (like two bunch of losers)
Rating 9/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/114587/what-separates-a-cyberpunk-setting-from-a-futuristic-setting

See highlighted, where are those parts in Searching? One minute you dismiss the hacking and espionage in Strike Back and 24 when I trying to point out the error in your assertion, next minute you're using hacking to categorize Searching as cyberpunk. You can't eat your cake and have it. Searching can't be classified as a cyberpunk. Impossible!! Even if you remove the futuristic angle, other branches of cyberpunk rendered your argument invalid. grin

From the same forum you quoted:

Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre in which the future world is portrayed as one in which society is largely controlled by computers, at the expense of daily life and social order...Rebellion against large corporations and established organizations is a key aspect of cyberpunk. As such, main characters are often portrayed as alienated and marginalized by society.
Sounds like 21st century to me.

And...

Cyberpunk's protagonists are hackers, rockers, and other cultural rebels, clinging to a cult of individualism in a culture characterized by corporate control and mass conformity. These protagonists are adept at appropriating the materials of popular culture and making them speak to alternative needs and interests; they also know how to tap into the vast digital database to access information about corporations and their secret conspiracies, or to spread resistant messages despite powerful mechanisms of top-down control.
Sounds like the average outlaw hackers of the 21st century to me.

24 and Strike Back principal themes were counterterrorism not espionage. Says a lot.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles100: 10:34pm On Oct 19, 2018
samuelchimmy:
The spy that dumped me' 2018

One of the most hillarous movies of 2018.....
Ah swear this movie will captivate you with a Lott a punch lines...
Though the normal hollywood CIA agent voyage to the Europe.... But this one comes with a twist as the two supposed agents are not really agents but two grossly funny single ladies (like two bunch of losers)
Rating 9/10

Maybe I'm dry or boring, but this movie is a 4/10 for me. The movie is just bland, tasteless. Please and please, save your data cos dryness is an understatement for this movie. But one of the most hilarious movie for me in 2018 is TAG. I love it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:
BTW, KoiceReloaded, can you kindly point out the hacking that happened in Searching. I'm curious to know where the hacking came from.

Hacking/digital surveillance/electronics espionage... same sh*t, different day.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:48pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

From the same forum you quoted:

Sounds like 21st century to me.

And...

Sounds like the average outlaw hackers of the 21st century to me.

24 and Strike Back principal themes were counterterrorism not espionage. Says a lot.

You're shockingly shooting yourself in the foot. From one of the posts you highlighted

"Cyberpunk's protagonists are hackers, rockers, and other cultural rebels, clinging to a cult
of individualism in a culture characterized by corporate control and mass conformity. These
protagonists are adept at appropriating the materials of popular culture and making them
speak to alternative needs and interests; they also know how to tap into the vast digital
database to access information about corporations and their secret conspiracies, or to spread
resistant messages despite powerful mechanisms of top-down control."

Show me where the emboldened happened in Searching. Being a hacker but not in the setting described in that highlighted part, doesn't qualify a movie to be cyberpunk. None of what you highlighted happened in Searching except that there's use of computers or surveillance. If using camera makes films, cyberpunk, then every romance movie out there with as much as use of a phone becomes cyberpunk movie as well. Strike Back and 24 had computers and hacking in them. Don't know what you're on about. Is hacking the main theme in Searching? It's no longer about hacking but now about it being the main theme or not. Oga, stay one place and stop bending your points anyhow. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Hacking/digital surveillance/electronics espionage... same sh*t, different day.

You're confused honestly. I said show me the hacking in Searching and you're bringing up more words.

Only you - hacking, digital surveillance, espionage, electronics, electronic espionage, main theme and non main theme.

Even Nigerian leaders don't twist as much as you do. You'll soon include Nairaland to your plethora of examples.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 10:57pm On Oct 19, 2018
"Rebellion against large corporations and established organizations is a key aspect of cyberpunk. As such, main characters are often portrayed as alienated and marginalized by society."

Where was this part in Searching, ehn KoiceReloaded?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 11:00pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

It has won a couple of awards already.
Probably some festival awards. Those ones no mean anything.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

You're shockingly shooting yourself in the foot. From one of the posts you highlighted

"Cyberpunk's protagonists are hackers, rockers, and other cultural rebels, clinging to a cult
of individualism in a culture characterized by corporate control and mass conformity. These
protagonists are adept at appropriating the materials of popular culture and making them
speak to alternative needs and interests; they also know how to tap into the vast digital
database to access information about corporations and their secret conspiracies, or to spread
resistant messages despite powerful mechanisms of top-down control."

Where did I shoot myself in the foot? Top hackers do the highlighted all the time. Can you explain how I shot myself in foot?

Beorn:

Show me where the emboldened happened in Searching. Being a hacker but not in the setting described in that highlighted part, doesn't qualify a movie to be cyberpunk. None of what you highlighted happened in Searching except that there's use of computers or surveillance. If using camera makes films, cyberpunk, then every romance movie out there with as much as use of a phone becomes cyberpunk movie as well. Strike Back and 24 had computers and hacking in them. Don't know what you're on about. Is hacking the main theme in Searching? It's no longer about hacking but now about it being the main theme or not. Oga, stay one place and stop bending your points anyhow. grin

Hacking in a more simplistic term is gaining excess to a chip powered electronics device discreetly. Hacking doesn't always have to involve tapping on a keyboard. Hacking can simply involve a digital surveillance like CCTV.

Strike Back and 24 has computers in them, but the principal themes weren't focus on those computers, were they? No. Instead, the themes were focused on the activities of the protagonists.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by troubleseller: 11:04pm On Oct 19, 2018
I thought Imitation Game was biography. Koice has started ooo

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

You're confused honestly. I said show me the hacking in Searching and you're bringing up more words.

Only you - hacking, digital surveillance, espionage, electronics, electronic espionage, main theme and non main theme.

Even Nigerian leaders don't twist as much as you do. You'll soon include Nairaland to your plethora of examples.

Nah. You're the confused one. Hacking and spying on people with CCTV and spycams and what have you, are doing the same thing, but in different ways - espionage. When I said hacking, I meant everything that has to do with espionage. Too bad you didn't understand, and choose to laugh at your own ignorance. grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 11:17pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded and Beorn, I see the bromance is becoming a little rough this evening, eh, lads?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 19, 2018
troubleseller:
I thought Imitation Game was biography. Koice has started ooo

Hacking was at the center of the storyline.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:20pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Nah. You're the confused one. Hacking and spying on people with CCTV and spycams and what have you, are doing the same thing, but in different ways - espionage. When I said hacking, I meant everything that has to do with espionage. Too bad you didn't understand, and choose to laugh at your own ignorance. grin grin

How To Get Away With Murder had hacking, spying on people, digital surveillance, cloning of phones in it, therefore it's a sci-fi, a social science sci-fi and a cyberpunk series. Buwahahaha. KoiceReloaded has lost it. grin

Brethren, what we're witnessing now is what Thanos described when he said, "you're not the only one burdened with knowledge," to Ironman. Too much movie knowledge has made KoiceReloaded go bonkers. He needs your prayers. grin

KoiceReloaded is in the Get Out movie situation; something has taken control of account/sense of reasoning, while he's locked away in his subconscious, crying for our help. Hang in there, Koice, help is on the way.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:21pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ishilove:
KoiceReloaded and Beorn, I see the bromance is becoming a little rough this evening, eh, lads?

No o. Na joke o. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 19, 2018
Beorn:

How To Get Away With Murder had hacking, spying on people, digital surveillance, cloning of phones in it, therefore it's a sci-fi, a social science sci-fi and a cyberpunk series. Buwahahaha. KoiceReloaded has lost it. grin

Brethren, what we're witnessing now is what Thanos described when he said, "you're not the only one burdened with knowledge," to Ironman. Too much movie knowledge has made KoiceReloaded go bonkers. He needs your prayers. grin

KoiceReloaded is in the Get Out movie situation; something has taken control of account/sense of reasoning, while he's locked away in his subconscious, crying for our help. Hang in there, Koice, help is on the way.

Okay, lemme ask you this simple question? What's the primary theme of How to Get Away With Murder?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn: 11:27pm On Oct 19, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Where did I shoot myself in the foot? Top hackers do the highlighted all the time. Can you explain how I shot myself in foot?

Hacking in a more simplistic term is gaining excess to a chip powered electronics device discreetly. Hacking doesn't always have to involve tapping on a keyboard. Hacking can simply involve a digital surveillance like CCTV.

Strike Back and 24 has computers in term, but the principal themes weren't focus on those computers, were they? No. Instead, the themes were focused on the activities of the protagonists.

How does digital surveillance with CCTV equates to hacking? And was espionage and hacking the main theme of Searching. Where is it written that espionage and hacking must be the central theme of a c movie before it becomes a cyberpunk?

What brand of weed have you inhaled this night, senor Koice? The shii is too strong. Quit it. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (876) (877) (878) (879) (880) (881) (882) ... (3833) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: abduleez1(m), Meel and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.