Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? (1014 Views)

13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by mike4you(m): 11:06pm On Jul 28, 2008
Hello colleagues,

Joblessness has increased poverty level in Nigeria. Poverty level is still on increase even though it has been claimed that poverty level has fallen from 70% to 54.4% recently.

On Wednesday, 16th July 2008, Punch newspaper reported that about 60 million Nigerian youths are unemployed. What an amazing figure, 60 million Nigerian youths! This is not our portion! But does it mean that Nigerian youths do not have the requisite skills for the available jobs? I do not think so. I will show you how to get good job for better living. I have been helping people get good jobs, so this is your time. Just watch out for my next release!

To Your Success,
Mike4you (Mike Ofoegbu)
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by Seun(m): 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2008
It's bullshit. We don't even have 60 million graduates in Nigeria, not to talk of 60 million unemployed.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by saha(f): 9:53pm On Aug 20, 2008
Seun,I concur.60 million frm where?Yes dre is unemployment but apart frm blaming Govt & poverty for d large no. Of unemployed in our society many youths too suffer frm tunnel vision & will not look beyond white collar jobs.we shld think beyond d norm start thinking out of d box.think your way positively out of poverty
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by realcele: 2:11pm On Aug 22, 2008
where u dey get your statistics from and how many people dey niger self that 60million dey unemployed. If your calculation is right then graduates need to lower their dream a bit and ready to start low and know these new breeds really want something very very tasty which might be the reason for unemployement.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by vislabraye(m): 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2008
60 million?? That is a whole nation of unemployed armed forces. There are only 120million bNigerians , so half are unemployed youths? Come on.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by Bossman(m): 3:42pm On Aug 22, 2008
Those numbers seem too high! However, the real problem is that our government and school system has failed us. You also have to consider how many are really employable out of the so called 60 million. Yes, they do have degrees, but how many can really perform up to the level of whatever their degree says. A good majority of our graduates are not well grounded. And that responsibility falls mostly on deplorable university system that exists in Nigeria. As I mentioned in another post, how can you have a so called computer science graduate that never wrote a single line of code?
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by slyk2(m): 3:50pm On Aug 22, 2008
Just dont panic about the 60 million figures quoted here.
This tells us that some fundamental issues must be looked at.

I can see that going to school is not all that one need, am talking to both the parents and the unemployed.
I can say the number will even be higher, why? Think of unemployed and underemployed.
Almost half of the working class does not like their work and thus demand change if it ever comes.

Do you care why most employment agencies are making millions while unemployment looms?

Lets leave the government out of this, they can never solve all the problems.
We can start thinking for ourselves and creating a new world will be achieved.

Most of the said graduates cannot think for themselves.
So how can they be that useful?
They will not want to start small, they end up having nothing for a long time.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by slyk2(m): 3:58pm On Aug 22, 2008
Just dont panic about the 60 million figures quoted here.
This tells us that some fundamental issues must be looked at.

I can see that going to school is not all that one need, am talking to both the parents and the unemployed.
I can say the number will even be higher, why? Think of unemployed and underemployed.
Almost half of the working class does not like their work and thus demand change if it ever comes.

Do you care why most employment agencies are making millions while unemployment looms?

Lets leave the government out of this, they can never solve all the problems.
We can start thinking for ourselves and creating a new world will be achieved.

Most of the said graduates cannot think for themselves.
So how can they be that useful?
They will not want to start small, they end up having nothing for a long time.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 30, 2008
What a crazy statistic. The TOTAL population of people in the active working age (18 to 55) in Nigeria is about 80 million so are you saying that close to 80% of Nigeria is unemployed?!!

Then if the paper says that 60 million youths are unemployed (which is so untrue), how did that turn to 60 million graduates?!!! And lastly, what is unemployed? I hope you do not see unemployed as those that do not have white collar jobs?
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by top100: 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2008
why are you people tackling the poster (mike4you)? Even you seun, the owner of Nairaland. He only gave us the news from punch. if you doubt the figures, while not look for the punch and confirm it.

You people should stop doubting the figure, I have confirmed it. It is correct.
Re: 60 Million Graduates Are Unemployed? by obua: 8:35pm On Sep 01, 2008
The 60m figure is not real, most newspapers houses in Nigeria are staffed by people with poor numerical skills.
Even 6m graduates being unemployed is not real because we may not have up to 6m graduates in Nigeria now, because all the universities admit just above 100,000 students yearly.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get A Gse Test Format Or What Does One Look Like / Uop: Honeywell Subsidiary Recruiting / Job At United Nations Office For Project Services (unop)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.