Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,109 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:19 AM

Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service (12617 Views)

Find What You Are Looking For Faster On Google / Google Translate Adds Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa To It's Languages / Google Adds Igbo, Yoruba And Hausa To Its Google Translate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by iamnigeria: 5:42pm On Dec 11, 2013
Google has embarked on the largest expansion into African languages to date, adding 3 Nigerian languages — Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba — with over 100 million native speakers put together to its web translation service, Google Translate.

Before now, Google Translate supported only two African languages, namely, Swahili and Afrikaans, allowing users to communicate and connect with people and information easily.

With the addition of Hausa (Harshen Hausa), spoken in Nigeria and neighbouring countries with 35 million native speakers, Igbo (Asụsụ Igbo) spoken in Nigeria with 25 million native speakers, Yoruba (èdè Yorùbá) spoken in Nigeria and neighbouring countries with 28 million native speakers; Google wants to help about 115 million native speakers who have access to the web to connect with new people.

Google Translate is available in over 80 languages around the world and also features an Android app together with its desktop web app.

Source:http://www.iamnigeria.net/2013/12/google-translation-service-now.html

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
I thought it had been for some time.

There's something i noticed though. I typed an Igbo sentence and it didn't give me the exact English translation that i wanted until i changed the dialect. I think they have to make it open for different Igbo word usage. For instance, "Olisa gozie gi(God bless you)" did not give me what i wanted until i typed "Chukwu gozie gi".

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by yawatide(f): 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
^^^ There are various French dialects. Same applies to Spanish, English, etc but I am sure they are using the "central" version. If they went with every dialect, it wouldn't make sense.

Also, as with every initial translation, there are bound to be mistakes. It will get better with time though, with each passing iteration.

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by EzePromoe: 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2013
^ Same thing with some Latin words. I discovered that some Latin words like Ogolombia, dejavu et al, couldn't be translated in English words. It should just be made known that every languages doesn't come from the same family and structure, and is better understood by the speakers than trying too hard to get a literal translation in English.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Afam4eva(m): 6:40pm On Dec 11, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ There are various French dialects. Same applies to Spanish, English, etc but I am sure they are using the "central" version. If they went with every dialect, it wouldn't make sense.

Also, as with every initial translation, there are bound to be mistakes. It will get better with time though, with each passing iteration.
It's not exactly dialects. It's just different words used to describe the same thing. I don't expect them to include all the dialects. But they should endeavor to make it more flexible.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by EzePromoe: 7:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
I couldn't help but laugh at this translations;

eko o ni baje - education have broken

o baje ti - You have broken

grin

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by yawatide(f): 8:09pm On Dec 11, 2013
^^^ LWKMD, ROFLMAO
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Djtm(m): 11:11pm On Dec 11, 2013
I typed some swear words/phrases, curses and abusive words and it returned some bullcrap.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by bizfirst: 6:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Please, be informed that google translation is completely mechanical. This means, for individual words, great chances are that you'll get them correct. But for complex phrases, sentences and long passages, only a faint idea as to the meaning of the the translated passage should be expected. You are thus expected to have a faint idea of the language you are translating to and from ( which makes the essence of translation defeated!)

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by nkpommpko(m): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2013
K
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by sexymoma(f): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2013
Oya Google Translate this wan o......
Mora dodo lo'yo
Moje dodo lo'yo
Mofi dodo pa omo'nidodo ni'dodo.
angry

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by LMAyedun(m): 10:13am On Dec 12, 2013
Wow!!!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by tayork(m): 10:14am On Dec 12, 2013
How can I get it
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by tayork(m): 10:14am On Dec 12, 2013
How can I get it on my phone
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by LMAyedun(m): 10:14am On Dec 12, 2013
Eze Promoe: I couldn't help but laugh at this translations;

grin
LOL!!! cheesy
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Harmvirus(f): 10:14am On Dec 12, 2013

grin
Lwkmd!!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by mustaphagreens(m): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by philfearon(m): 10:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Good to know!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 12, 2013
The translations are total crap, I tried it yesterday and now I realize why those spanish tweets have been making little sense. Utter crap.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by OgologoDimkpa: 10:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Good to know.
I'm off to translate some yoruba words I've been looking for the meaning.
I must understand ede yoruba by fire and by force grin.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Odward(m): 10:17am On Dec 12, 2013
;DLwkmd....so u mean na computer go dey translate am abi na human being,Google no even no where dey pain dem.na only dem wan do everything.....i wont be surprise if Google start telling everybody his/her future when he/she would die etc.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:18am On Dec 12, 2013
Afam4eva: I thought it had been for some time.

There's something i noticed though. I typed an Igbo sentence and it didn't give me the exact English translation that i wanted until i changed the dialect. I think they have to make it open for different Igbo word usage. For instance, "Olisa gozie gi(God bless you)" did not give me what i wanted until i typed "Chukwu gozie gi".
chukwu is the general name understandable to all ethnics in the east!

Many others have their own translation but chukwu is general.

Just like 'olorun' in yoruba language. It is general. While olodumare, eleda etc are sectional!

...i guess...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 12, 2013
lol... Shaking my head

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by martronilla: 10:18am On Dec 12, 2013
Hurray! Pidgin nko? tongue
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by MajeMedia: 10:19am On Dec 12, 2013
This is great! my igbo is improving using this!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Rummenigge(m): 10:20am On Dec 12, 2013

grin
Quite hilarious. But they are correct to some extent. "Eko" has different meanings in Yoruba...e.g.. Education,palp,Lagos,teach,Learn...etc. "baje" means 'spoilt,damage,broken',etc...
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by kennyonthrone(m): 10:21am On Dec 12, 2013
O gini n' afio
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:22am On Dec 12, 2013
sexymoma: Oya Google Translate this wan o......
Mora dodo lo'yo
Moje dodo lo'yo
Mofi dodo pa omo'nidodo ni'dodo.
angry
why dnt u pretend to be wise a little?

Besides, what nonsense did u write as ur signature?

'Christams is not all abt wot under the tree but abt Jesus who died on the tree'

undecided how does that make sense to u? Even the grammatical error na bam!

i dnt knw wetin ur own Jesus wan pluck for tree wey make am die there o.

So, na tree ur own jesus die on, abi?

SMH!!!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Ngoswit1: 10:22am On Dec 12, 2013
dats nice
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by realugee: 10:23am On Dec 12, 2013
Cool cool
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Willgates(m): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Available On Google Translation Service by Lilimax(f): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2013
Good to know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? / A Nairalander And Blogger, Mandy News Shares New Promo Photos / Why Does Airtel Data Drain So Quickly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.