Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion (7198 Views)

Senate Probes NNPC Unbundling, Says Buhari’s Action Illegal-vanguard / Senate Probes Obasanjo, Jonathan’s Power Sector Spendings / Inec’s Team Probes Alleged Irregularities In Rivers Polls - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 11, 2013
Senate probes alleged missing $49.8 billion

*Missing fund must not be swept under carpet–APC senators warn
*Insist “we ‘ll follow probe to the latter

he Nigerian Senate at plenary on Wednesday, directed its finance commitee to commence a full-scale probe into the alleged missing $49.8 billion from the nation’s treasury. Senate also mandated the committee to conclude its findings and report back to it in less than seven days.

Senate directive followed a Point Of Order 42 of the Senate standing rules raised under Matter of Urgent National Importance by Senator Olubunmi Adetunbi (APC Ekiti North), not only to draw the attention of the upper legislative chamber to the allegation but request that it carry out an indebt probe of the missing fund.

The alleged missing fund is said to be the value of crude oil export and proceeds from the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, expected to be lodged in the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.

Senator Adetunbi who is the Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Planning and Budgeting, at the plenary, said: “There has been a raging debate on the issue of missing money from the coffers of the Federal Government of Nigeria. Today, all papers carried the report on $49.8 billion that has not been remitted to the federation account.”

Adetumbi explained further that the nation’s apex bank, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, had written on the account from January 2012 to July 2013, urging the Senate to carry out a holistic investigation on the matter.

“Mr President, as a parliament, this is a very grave issue. The parliament owes a duty or responsibility to the public to ensure that we get to the bottom of this issue for purposes of public information and for purposes of integrity of this parliament, because appropriation and revenue is the major responsibility of this parliament,” he said.

Senate President, David Mark, who presided over the session where the issue came up, said the matter cannot be instantly treated because according to him, there was no detailed information before the Senate yet. Besides, he said the allegation which Senator Adetunbi was relying on was a newspaper report just as he said he had earlier in a meeting with the senator on the issue, promised that the Senate Committee on Finance would handle the matter.

“You have come under Order 42, you know what you showed to me was the newspaper report and I also told you that on the basis of that, since you don’t have all the details, that I will refer it to the committee and the committee will get all the details and bring their report here.

“You know that was my discussion with you. So, this new dimension of a letter coming from Central Bank was not discussed with me. But whatever it is, I think rather that because we don’t have the details at this point, we cannot go into any further detailed discussion.

“So, I will refer it to the committee on finance. I am just saying what you have discussed with me and that is what I am going to do, because the newspaper is what you brought to me, so you will lay the newspaper on the table and then I will refer the matter to the committee. I want the details, ”he said.

Mark’s position that the issue be handled by the committee on finance attracted resistance from some members of the All Progressives Congress, APC, who suggested that rather than the committee on finance, the issue be directed to the Senate Committee on Public Account. But Mark stood his ground, saying: “Please, there is no expenditure involved yet. This is money that we have not found, so there is no public account yet. The public account will come in when the money is spent. But whatever it is, please lay it on the table before we see who values it.”

Mark directed the Deputy Senate Committee on Finance, Joshua Dariye (LP Plateau Central) to ensure that the report gets back to Senate in less than seven days. “I will refer this to the finance committee and I want it back within seven days but I will want it in the earliest possible days because this is a matter that requires urgent attention,” he said.

Meanwhile, the All Progressives Congress, APC senators have warned that the probe must not be swept under the carpet even as they assured that they would follow the probe to logical end. The senators, led by Senate Minority Leader, George Akume, at a press Conference shortly after plenary, said there was no cause to doubt the authenticity of the alleged missing fund, because according, the report came from a very authentic source.

“We have been told and we have every cause to believe that this money is missing. This document is coming from the Central Bank of Nigeria. It is an authentic source,” Senator Akume who read a prepared speech before newsmen said.

He added: “This matter cannot be swept under the carpet. We are determined to follow it to the fullest and we want you to join us in doing so. One of our responsibilities is to as much as possible identify with the people by ensuring that those of us who are charged with higher responsibility conform with very high standard expected of people in public office.

“We have invited you on an issue which is very grave and central to good governance in our country. You are already aware of the missing $49billion. Now this money is the value of crude oil export and proceeds from the NNPC. Section 162 is very clear on where federally collected revenue are supposed to be lodged. For clarity and emphasis I quote this section.

“We have every cause to believe that this money is missing. This document here is from the Central Bank of Nigeria. This is a very authentic source. It is a very authentic document. The issue is who actually authorized the lodging of this money elsewhere if at the money is not missing then who gave authorization for opening of this account where these monies are paid contrary to section 162 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?”. END.

Source

1 Like

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 11, 2013
The rope is tightening.... grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by oldenglish: 10:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
Now this is what I call opposition if only they will not get compromised as like nigeria things use to be.

1 Like

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
I just dey observe!
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Tolexander: 11:00pm On Dec 11, 2013
If you know what Obasanjo, Tambuwal and Sanusi know, you will like them!

The problem about this kind of probe is that, they fizzle with time with no feasible outcome.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by hardywaltz(m): 11:01pm On Dec 11, 2013
They want their own share of the loot!!!!
#enuff said#
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 11, 2013
Where is my 'Messi Vs Messi' motif when I need it?

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by awodman: 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
Much ado about nothing...after the whole charade like the alleged missing Sure-P funds,we would know who the jokers are

3 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by talktimi(m): 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
I expect nothing less than a no holds barred investigation from this committee. I also expect the president to make a cabinet reshuffle with a high ranking military man in charge of petroleum resources (soldiers dont take nonsense jare)
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
Tolexander: If you know what Obasanjo, Tambuwal and Sanusi know, you will like them!

The problem about this kind of probe is that, they fizzle with time with no feasible outcome.
this probe might not fizzle with time as it stands now. The money is a huge amount and everyone seems to be reacting to the missing money. Let's watch as the drama unfolds.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by tobillionaire(m): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2013
meeehn.... e dy ma gtb account
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by taharqa: 11:24pm On Dec 11, 2013
“We have every cause to believe that this money is missing. This document here is from the Central Bank of Nigeria. This is a very authentic source. It is a very authentic document. The issue is who actually authorized the lodging of this money elsewhere if at the money is not missing then who gave authorization for opening of this account where these monies are paid contrary to section 162 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?”

Ohhh! They are beginning to change their mouths now Or spreading their options in order to keep the noise going for some time, kwa??

I thought they said the $50billion was 'MISSING', na; make dem stick with that story jooor...

3 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2013
taharqa:

Ohhh! They beginning to chang their Or spreading their options in order to keep the noise going for some time, kwa??

I thought they said the $50billion was 'MISSING', na; make dem stick with that story jooor...

"Diverted" is not the same as "missing".

Everyone knows that it is possible to "divert" funds to unauthorised bank accounts in order to generate illegal interest; to prevent fiscal accountability; or even for tax avoidance purposes, for instance. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Kanwulia: 11:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
The legacy of OBJ liveth!
GEJ must go!!!!! kiss

Why nobody probe OBJ like dis? cheesy
USELESS APC IJJJJJIOTS!!!! kiss

2 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by talktimi(m): 12:06am On Dec 12, 2013
If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time. Lets forget party affiliations on this issue

5 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by 9jagirl4re(f): 12:13am On Dec 12, 2013
talktimi: If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time. Lets forget party affiliations on this issue
I agree start publishing these findings to the public, I don't care which party bust them let them suffer!
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by PointB: 12:30am On Dec 12, 2013
Just find the darn thing or clarify The situation. No need for drama.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Dygeasy(m): 10:08am On Dec 12, 2013
SMH!
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Raymondfayowole(m): 10:09am On Dec 12, 2013
We are talkin abt dollars here o.... shocked
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 12, 2013
No comments just an observation.

This ceo4eva guy too like any thread where GEJ is mentioned grin

3 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by vicoloni(m): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2013
What came out of the myriad of probes done in the past?
Same noni!
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by mustaphagreens(m): 10:12am On Dec 12, 2013
space bookmarked for attacks. I'd be right back, Lemme quickly wear my bullet-proof vest.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 12, 2013
Yeye people, as if they are not the ones stealing the money.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by LMAyedun(m): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2013
Promhize: Yeye people, as if they are not the ones stealing the money.
The stewpid probes they usually do without any reasonable outcome.
Mstcheeeeewww!!!
Make dem park well jare.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 12, 2013
FORTY NINE POINT EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS !!!
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by nkpommpko(m): 10:16am On Dec 12, 2013
[/color][color=#990000] Really,while arranging a big carpet to sweep it under
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Lifebender(m): 10:18am On Dec 12, 2013
Somebody should pls tell mii what happened to stella oduah xar sacandal.Now 49.8 bn Naira is missing btween madueke(petroleum),okonjo(finance) and his excellency is tryin to sweep it under the carpet...
I dnt care if u're ijaw,igbo,hausa,yoruba,efik,fulani,ikwere or APC,PDP,APGA,LP....all i knw is dat come 2015,GRIDLUCK JONATHAN must go....

7 Likes

Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by Akshow: 10:19am On Dec 12, 2013
hmmmmmm all this big big figure thiefing masef. una sure say money go still remain?
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by ceejay80s(m): 10:24am On Dec 12, 2013
We have all dís billions yet naija citìzens are suffering. Ìf all dis money is míssing ,how much remain? 999999999999999trìllion? Ì remember wen i dey pry 3, i open my mama purse and stole money, i no steal all, the one wey remain plenty.
I only took 1 naìra. How much dey FG account? Its our money
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:26am On Dec 12, 2013
These fools are 'rubbishing' our intelligence undecided
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by enny09: 10:32am On Dec 12, 2013
This country is truly curse, and maybe doom for total system failure because the corruption level is too high for Nigeria to survive it, and no hope for a better leader, Nigeria need a true leader not just anyone call a President.
Re: Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion by satowind(m): 10:38am On Dec 12, 2013
If the senate want to impress the public they should think of probing them selfs by passing a bill on corruption among politicians not chasing a target of people for political gain. And they should endevour to cut down there allowance for sitting in a semi-circular table and doing notin.

Happy birthday to me sha

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

“it Is The Northerners Who Deserve Another State, Not The South East” Arewa / We Must Keep ACN Out Of The South-South And South-East / ​ 1yr In Office: FG Appreciates Nigerians For Their Support, Perseverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.