Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,743 members, 7,831,371 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors (14422 Views)

Akala Meets With Tinubu & Wife After Defecting To APC (Photo) / PDP Asks Kwara Chapter To Disclaim Statement On Saraki’s Wife / PDP Asks Buhari To Clarify Role In Massacre Of 300 Igbo Soldiers, Civilians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by pokur: 10:50am On Dec 13, 2013
pro01: No need for a lengthy judicial process. Just expel the pro-APC lawmakers in the G-5 states (if they continue delaying fomal defection), and then declare their seats vacant, and thereafter get the replacement PDP lawmakers to impeach the foolish governors
Rad1cal:

Simples . Maybe this is just a decoy to distract the fools from the main plan cheesy
pro01: No need for a lengthy judicial process. Just expel the pro-APC lawmakers in the G-5 states (if they continue delaying fomal defection), and then declare their seats vacant, and thereafter get the replacement PDP lawmakers to impeach the foolish governors
Children,children.Remember the case of Senator Bode Olowoporoku from Ekiti state who was expelled from the party by PDP,yet retained his seat till the end of the 2003-2007 Assembly?.Or u were not yet born then?.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by tosan200(m): 10:53am On Dec 13, 2013
With the judiciary system we have in Nigeria , I will be waiting for the verdict in the next two years.
nb: Jonathan is just plain foolish, this man should choose his battle carefully 2015 is very close.He should not waste his time with people who are already in their final tenure.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by ojimbo(m): 10:57am On Dec 13, 2013
I love this advertisement, i saw it on nairaland, it just reminded me of nigeria, hit me LIKE if you think Nigeria can be refered to as ALOMO NATION

1 Like

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 13, 2013
Seems GEJ's Mantra is "remove Ameachi by any means whether legal or illegal"

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by size38: 11:19am On Dec 13, 2013
This case is already dead on arrival. This is because there is no provision in Nigerian constitution that says Governor should vacate his position for defecting to another party. We saw Ohakim of Imo state and T. A Orji of Abia state as well as one other Governor from the north defected from both PPA and ANPP to PDP. PDP welcomed them and called it a welcomed development. So PDP should bear when their own governors decamp to other parties.

1 Like

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by 1025: 11:30am On Dec 13, 2013
Goddex: The battle has just begun. Owelle Judas Okorocha, APGA is waiting for you lol.

nPDP reps and Senators are wise enough by delaying announcing their own defection because of the constitutional provision against such. Let Nigerians see how the Supreme court that ruled in Omehia vs Ameachi's case will now reverse itself to rule otherwise.

uncle, u are as slow upstairs as ur pdp. when ohakim defected from ppa to pdp and t.a orji defected from ppa to pdp, what happened? sometimes i just hate seeing men and women senseless and shameless as wild animals stand out as my leaders.
it is a shame that even the so-called govt in power could sign agreement with ASUU in 2009 only to come in 2013 to say they did not understand what they signed. look at fools rushing to court to lay claims over a crime they introduced.
talking about defection, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, owner of ait television was arrested by jonathan's govt on the allegation of been behind the 1st oct bombing in abuja, he was the champeign manager of ibb presidential ambition before his arrest and he defected to jonathan's camp and was released and that matter was closed till date.
what is the moral standard with which u and pdp talk about defecting govs?
pdp is creating chaos all over the countries and lives and properties are been lost on daily basis yet u call urself govt.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by banito1(m): 11:33am On Dec 13, 2013
Goddex: The battle has just begun. Owelle Judas Okorocha, APGA is waiting for you lol.

nPDP reps and Senators are wise enough by delaying announcing their own defection because of the constitutional provision against such. Let Nigerians see how the Supreme court that ruled in Omehia vs Ameachi's case will now reverse itself to rule otherwise.
my thoughts exactly, the courts ruled in favour of Ameachi even though it was Omehia that contested the election saying it was the party that won the election not Omehia thereby making Ameachi the real candidate of the PDP and governor of Rivers state
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by nkemKalu: 11:52am On Dec 13, 2013
PDP DESPERADOS......FAILED PROJECT
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by emcaluv(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
PDP has no case here. They are just being mischievous. Maybe they have paid the judge to cause confusion in the country. Amaechi's case against Omehia was a clear case of injustice by PDP. It is very different from defection. Amaechi won PDP primaries but was wrongly substituted by Omehia who did not contest in the primaries.

Please note that Amaechi and Ararume were expelled from PDP before the governorship election of 2007. Technically Amaechi was not a PDP member when the election was conducted. Supreme court acknowledged Amaechi as the winner of PDP primaries as such the authentic PDP governoship candidate. Supreme court felt that it will be wrong to deny Amaechi his rights and thereafter asked Omehia to vacate the seat.

If your logic is that when a person decamps to another party, he loses his seat, then one can say that a party can decide to expel an office holder and declare his seat vacant.

The Supreme court judgment was based on electoral law and the constitution which says that party flag bearers can only be nominated through primaries. If court declares the seats of decamped governors vacant, then INEC will be involved in conducting another governorship election which is against the electoral law. Omehia was removed because he did not participate in PDP primaries.

PDP vs Atiku is there for reference.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Sajio(m): 12:07pm On Dec 13, 2013
ibsmooth: What is wrong with this PDP led government.Do you guys think Nigerians are illitrates like must of you or our sense of purpose is dead.Their thought process is either sick or dead.What happens to Isah Yuguda of Bauchi state who was elected Governor on the platform of ANPP but defected to PDP?what about MHA and Senators who cross-carpeted from other parties to PDP?please GEJ and his kitchen cabinet should either reconcile with his party men or keep quite.If you think GEJ led PDP is confused,please click like
Did ANPP challenge it in court? Maybe they were Ignorant of that!
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by asaajuomo1(m): 12:08pm On Dec 13, 2013
Interesting
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by olusogo: 12:13pm On Dec 13, 2013
Why are you wasting your time on a case that has Judicial Precedence? Cross carpeting is not new in Nigerian politics and there has never been a judgement either at the apex court or lower court removing an executive who does so. Senator Obanikoro, Atiku Abubakar, and many others crossed to other party and the the courts at any level did not remove them. PDP know this because they have enjoyed it in the past during the time of AD. They only will continue to do everything possible to hit Amaechi to set him and the opposition imbalance. So PDP is not wasting their money nor time.
Obiagu1:

It doesn't matter, does it?
The affected parties should have gone to court but they didn't.
That doesn't make it wrong for the PDP to reclaim their mandate.
PDP won the elections except the constitution says otherwise.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by frodobee: 12:26pm On Dec 13, 2013
ibsmooth: What is wrong with this PDP led government.Do you guys think Nigerians are illitrates like must of you or our sense of purpose is dead.Their thought process is either sick or dead.What happens to Isah Yuguda of Bauchi state who was elected Governor on the platform of ANPP but defected to PDP?what about MHA and Senators who cross-carpeted from other parties to PDP?please GEJ and his kitchen cabinet should either reconcile with his party men or keep quite.If you think GEJ led PDP is confused,please click like
I OBVIOUSLY KNOW WHO THE 'ILLITRATES' ^ IS HERE, borrowed from you- a confused mind.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by emcaluv(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
This is one of the extracts from Supreme court Judgement:

There was therefore nothing new or original in what the court did in
Amaechi’s case.

In virtually all the individual judgments, the learned Justices held that
they could not order fresh elections because: (i) the court has no
constitutional competence to do so as it has no competence in
governorship election petitions (Section 285(2) of the Constitution)
and (ii) the issue before the court was a pre-election issue, i.e., who
was the legitimate candidate of the PDP in the Rivers State
gubernatorial elections?
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Rexyl(m): 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
then what follows
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Elose11(m): 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
Nigerians are not illiterate, but I think you are. When these people you mentioned here defected to the PDP, did the PDP stop their parties from going to court? If you don't know your right and I know mine, what is my business with you? Please leave PDP to pursue this case. It wil definitely enrich our democratic credential. If the party wins this case, those others that crossed to PDP will know that their days are numbered. I,like a lot of other Nigerians, votes for the political party we identified with not the individual candidate. For somebody that represent that party to think he can take my mandate to another party is one of the greatest fraud in our political evolution. Therefore, we need the Supreme Court to settle this matter now. Amaechi did not contest the 2007 governorship election in Rivers state. But the Supreme Court gave him the PDP mandate because he is supposed to be their candidate. What happened to Amaechi, now that he has defected to another party. Why is he still enjoying the mandate rivers PDP gave to him in 2011? Nigeria we hail thee!

1 Like

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 13, 2013
We're making our journey to a Military Coup.

HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF IN NIGERIA and History will remember me as a prophet. grin
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by kokoA(m): 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2013
.banito:
my thoughts exactly, the courts ruled in favour of Ameachi even though it was Omehia that contested the election saying it was the party that won the election not Omehia thereby making Ameachi the real candidate of the PDP and governor of Rivers state
go and read that judgement again and stop being ignorant.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by here: 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2013
I think I feel funny when people comment without having idea of atleast 50% of the facts about Obj vs Atiku or Attorney Gen & others vs Alh. Atiku.
I will open a thread so maybe someone who has the full judgement can bring up the link and we all read and state what our opinions are.For now I have seen this link
www.nigeria-law.org/Attorney-General%20of%20the%20Federation%20&%20Ors%20v%20Alhaji%20Atiku%20Abubakar%20&%20Ors.htm and cannot read down as I am using a phone but got to the Appeal.
To be frank I think in the above case the question was whether Mr. President/PDP has the right to declare the V.P's seat vacant,the court held that the President cannot drop the VP AFTER elections,so you see here its the main man who leads the mandate that defected.Obj went about it wrongly that is why I think they are trying this option,go to court and since the court says we dont have the right let the court tell us in this instance make a declaration.Its like saying interprete the S.C judgement.Trust me the above case might not be cited as here its a party trying to ask the court give it its mandate that its Principal flag bearer has taken to another party which any court will look at and grant
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by kokoA(m): 1:35pm On Dec 13, 2013
Elose11:
Nigerians are not illiterate, but I think you are. When these people you mentioned here defected to the PDP, did the PDP stop their parties from going to court? If you don't know your right and I know mine, what is my business with you? Please leave PDP to pursue this case. It wil definitely enrich our democratic credential. If the party wins this case, those others that crossed to PDP will know that their days are numbered. I,like a lot of other Nigerians, votes for the political party we identified with not the individual candidate. For somebody that represent that party to think he can take my mandate to another party is one of the greatest fraud in our political evolution. Therefore, we need the Supreme Court to settle this matter now. Amaechi did not contest the 2007 governorship election in Rivers state. But the Supreme Court gave him the PDP mandate because he is supposed to be their candidate. What happened to Amaechi, now that he has defected to another party. Why is he still enjoying the mandate rivers PDP gave to him in 2011? Nigeria we hail thee!
blowdy liars! What happened to "I will vote for GEJ not PDP" some few years ago? You guys are found of shifting the goal post any time you feel like. Smh. Majority of these governors won based on their popularity not because of PDP.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 13, 2013
Elose11:

I vote for individuals not political party.

Now tell us again, how educated are you to vote for a POLITICAL PARTY irrespective of the candidate's personality and qualifications?
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by docadams: 1:54pm On Dec 13, 2013
vanguard1:
If you of all people said this, then I have nothing to comment.
You are not alone.
@ sincerenigeria, no offence meant.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Delafruita(m): 1:55pm On Dec 13, 2013
here: I think I feel funny when people comment without having idea of atleast 50% of the facts about Obj vs Atiku or Attorney Gen & others vs Alh. Atiku.
I will open a thread so maybe someone who has the full judgement can bring up the link and we all read and state what our opinions are.For now I have seen this link
www.nigeria-law.org/Attorney-General%20of%20the%20Federation%20&%20Ors%20v%20Alhaji%20Atiku%20Abubakar%20&%20Ors.htm and cannot read down as I am using a phone but got to the Appeal.
To be frank I think in the above case the question was whether Mr. President/PDP has the right to declare the V.P's seat vacant,the court held that the President cannot drop the VP AFTER elections,so you see here its the main man who leads the mandate that defected.Obj went about it wrongly that is why I think they are trying this option,go to court and since the court says we dont have the right let the court tell us in this instance make a declaration.Its like saying interprete the S.C judgement.Trust me the above case might not be cited as here its a party trying to ask the court give it its mandate that its Principal flag bearer has taken to another party which any court will look at and grant
the case of PDP v Atiku wasn't a case of who is legally empowered to declare a seat vacant,rather it was a case of "can a seat be declared vacant because an elected official decamped to another party and the SC ruled in effect that though political parties contest election,it is not binding that individuals elected on the platform of a party must remain in that party post-election.the case of amaechi is similar to the ararume v pdp/onyema in imo.the difference was that judgement was issued in ararume's case before the election and inec had to recognize him as the pdp candidate.pdp then sent a letter to inec indicating it was withdrawing from the elections and hence ararume had no platform.in amaechi'ss case,the case remained in court before the election and continued till after omehia had been sworn in.its conclusion was that the case was strictly a pre-election case and couldn't be treated as a post-election case.it was a simple case of "in the eye of the law,omehia was never a candidate of the pdp and so amaechi should be sworn in as governor".that is a totally different case from decamping.

The pdp is simply wasting its time

1 Like

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Rad1cal: 2:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
pokur:

Children,children.Remember the case of Senator Bode Olowoporoku from Ekiti state who was expelled from the party by PDP,yet retained his seat till the end of the 2003-2007 Assembly?.Or u were not yet born then?.

Says the geriatric who feels all cases will end in similar fashion.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by here: 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2013
Delafruita: the case of PDP v Atiku wasn't a case of who is legally empowered to declare a seat vacant,rather it was a case of "can a seat be declared vacant because an elected official decamped to another party and the SC ruled in effect that though political parties contest election,it is not binding that individuals elected on the platform of a party must remain in that party post-election.the case of amaechi is similar to the ararume v pdp/onyema in imo.the difference was that judgement was issued in ararume's case before the election and inec had to recognize him as the pdp candidate.pdp then sent a letter to inec indicating it was withdrawing from the elections and hence ararume had no platform.in amaechi'ss case,the case remained in court before the election and continued till after omehia had been sworn in.its conclusion was that the case was strictly a pre-election case and couldn't be treated as a post-election case.it was a simple case of "in the eye of the law,omehia was never a candidate of the pdp and so amaechi should be sworn in as governor".that is a totally different case from decamping.

The pdp is simply wasting its time
There is a reason I don't follow general opinion,I need to see the copy of the judgement and hope you can help me with that.
I have seen the prayers at Appeal and it was about if the President can declare his seat vacant which were in the actions,go through you will find where it's was stated that there is evidence to show both werent in good relationship.
Also notice I didnt cite Imo as I am working on available facts and actions before the court. No PDP is not wasting their time.I also was like how could someone like Obj's lawyer do the submissions he did kowning the outcome, as the court stated " The president has no right under the constitution to declare the VP position vacant"
So we need to know what the prayers were and how many were granted not what most persons here believe.
We cannot keep arguing over a judgement no one has pasted even a paragraph but I suggest you read the Appeal's

Copied from that link I provided
In The Supreme Court of Nigeria
On Friday, the 20th day of April 2007
S.C. 31/2007
Before Their Lordships
Sylvester Umaru
Onu
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Dahiru Musdapher ...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Sunday Akinola
Akintan
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Walter Samuel
Nkanu Onnoghen
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Francis Fedode Tabai ...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Ibrahim Tanko
Muhammad
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Pius Olayiwola
Aderemi
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Between
Attorney-General of
the Federation
Inspector General of
Police
Independent
National Electoral
Commission
Appellants
And
Alhaji Atiku
Abubakar
(Vice President,
Federal Republic of
Nigeria)
The National
Assembly of the
Federal Republic of
Nigeria
The President of the
Senate of the
Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Speaker, House of
Representative of
the Federal Republic
of Nigeria
Respondents
Judgement of the Court
Delivered by
Sunday Akinola Akintan
The 1st respondent, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar,
commenced this action by an originating summons
filed on 4 th January 2007 at the Court of Appeal
(hereinafter referred to as the court below). The
action was instituted under the original jurisdiction
of that court provided for in section 239(1) of the
1999 Constitution. His claim before the court is as
follows:
"1. Whether having regard to the
combined provisions of Section 135
and 142 (2) of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, the
Plaintiffs term of office as Vice
President, Federal Republic of Nigeria
which commenced on 29th of May,
2003 still subsists.
2. Whether having regard to the
provisions of Section 142, 143, 144
and 146 of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, or
any other provisions of the
Constitution of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria 1999 or any law, the President
of the Federal Republic of Nigeria can
declare vacant the office of the
Plaintiff as Vice President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria.
3. Whether having regard to the clear
provisions of Section 308 of the
Nigeria 1999, the President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria can
withdraw, tamper or interfere with or
violate the immunity conferred on the
Plaintiff as the Vice President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria by that
section and or direct his arrest or
prosecution.

1 Like

Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by ENEONWO(m): 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2013
[quote author=Goddex]The battle has just begun. Owelle Judas Okorocha, APGA is waiting for you lol.

nPDP reps and Senators are wise enough by delaying announcing their own defection because of the constitutional provision against such. Let Nigerians see how the Supreme court that ruled in Omehia vs Ameachi's case will now reverse itself to rule otherwise. Stop advertising monumental ignorance. In Amechi vs Omehie, Supreme court ruled that substitution of Amechi's name wt that of Omehie by Rivers State PDP was null and void. So, by law Omehie was not a candidate for that election. Amechi by law, was d candidate on d election day since d substitution was invalid. A party does not win an election without a candidate. What that means is that if PDP won the election, it was candidate Amechi that won, not just party.Besides, executive defection is not d same as substitution of candidate b4 election. PDP knows that it has no case. D plan is to drive fear into those who plan to defect. But it wont work!
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Twist4u: 2:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

The constitution trumps case and common law. Where the constitution has given room for subjective interpretation, as in the case with Governors defecting to another party, judgement can be sought by reverting to past cases. Case law is not statutory, it's just a precedent. Therefore we still need to get a ruling from the courts regarding this issue. Now there are conflicting precedents in existence on this very issue as evidenced by the following cases: Amaechi vs Omehia and Shinkafi vs ANPP (amongst others) - that gives room for argument. The prevalent circumstances in both cases will be examined and each aggrieved party is free to argue how the circumstances that prevailed in their preferred judgement applies to them now in order to get a favourable ruling.

I still believe the courts should examine the issue objectively and not just force a required outcome. Do we elect candidates or Parties? If we elect candidates, why do we not have the option of voting the Governor and the deputy on separate tickets, if they're not unified in a party ideology? What does a political party even stand for in Nigeria? In the USA, for instance, the democratic and republican parties have succinct and distinguishable identities that everyone is familiar with. A US citizen can assess for himself the zeitgeist and the issues that need urgent handling to enable him vote not only responsibly but responsively. He would know what kind of change he is enforcing by voting - that's the idea and relevance of a Party: ideology. It is bigger than an individual and it's got longevity. It's an insurance policy; A constituency can rest assured that their mandate is protected even when the candidate is unable to continue in office, if that mandate is given to an idea and not a man.

u spoke very well,though nigeria political parties lack definate ideology n direction but nondless vote is cast 4 d party n not individual.we are eagerly waiting 4 court interpretation.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Jman06(m): 2:34pm On Dec 13, 2013
leggo:
illiteracy in action
You are the one who is displaying gross illiteracy here,why have you choosen to ignore the provisions of the constitution on the matter but based your argument only on precedence? You are obviously ignorant of the fact that even going by precedence, the supreme court while passing its verdict on the Amaechi vs Omehia case made it very clear that the mandate belonged to PDP and not for Amaechi. Try and get some education and stop exposing your ignorance on a public forum like this.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by vanguard1(m): 2:54pm On Dec 13, 2013
docadams:
You are not alone.
@ sincerenigeria, no offence meant.
Lol""at a point, I thought that he is Abati
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Ark111: 3:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
Goddex: The Peoples Democratic Party has asked an Abuja Federal High Court to sack the five governors who defected to the All Progressives Congress.

The governors are Alhaji Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Rotimi Amaechi (Rivers), Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto), Rabiu Kwankwaso (Kano) and Abdulfatai Ahmed (Kwara).

The Independent National Electoral Commission was listed as a defendant alongside the governors in the suit filed on behalf of the PDP by Alex Izinyon, SAN.

PDP argued that the governors should be sacked from office on the ground that, because of their defection, they have forfeited their offices, which, as a result, have reverted to the party.

In the event that the five governors are sacked from office, PDP wants the court to order the deputy governor or speaker of the state Houses of Assembly of the affected states, or any officer next in rank, who is still its member, to assume the office of governor.

PDP is asking the court for several reliefs, among which is a declaration that by the combined provisions of sections 177 (c), 221 and 222 (c) of the 1999 Constitution, the five governors, who were elected under its platform, cannot continue to enjoy the mandate given to it (PDP) by the people/electorate of the concerned states as they (governors) have defected to another political party.

The court was equally asked to make a declaration that in the absence of any division in the PDP, the five governors have vacated or forfeited their seats upon their defection to the APC.

Also, the Abuja FHC was asked to make a declaration that, by the combined provisions of sections 87 of the Electoral Act 2011 (as amended), and sections 177 (c), 221 and 222 (c) of the 1999 Constitution, the offices of the defected governors have reverted to the PDP.

In the same vein, the court was asked to make a declaration that, by the combined provisions of sections 177 (c), 221 and 222 (c) of the 1999 Constitution, upon the defection of the five governors, the mandate reverts to the deputy governor or speaker of the state houses of assembly of the respective states or any officer next in rank who is still a member of the PDP.

http://www.punchng.com/news/pdp-asks-court-to-remove-defecting-governors/

Just recalling, so it was legal for Gov. Isa Yuguda of Bauchi state to defect from ANPP to PDP, Mahmuda Shinkafi of Zamfara state from ANPP to PDP but its now wrong for any one defect from PDP to APC. Hmmm! Jungle justice in the Federal Republic of PDP.
Re: PDP Asks Court To Remove Defecting Governors by Delafruita(m): 3:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
here:
There is a reason I don't follow general opinion,I need to see the copy of the judgement and hope you can help me with that.
I have seen the prayers at Appeal and it was about if the President can declare his seat vacant which were in the actions,go through you will find where it's was stated that there is evidence to show both werent in good relationship.
Also notice I didnt cite Imo as I am working on available facts and actions before the court. No PDP is not wasting their time.I also was like how could someone like Obj's lawyer do the submissions he did kowning the outcome, as the court stated " The president has no right under the constitution to declare the VP position vacant"
So we need to know what the prayers were and how many were granted not what most persons here believe.
We cannot keep arguing over a judgement no one has pasted even a paragraph but I suggest you read the Appeal's

Copied from that link I provided
In The Supreme Court of Nigeria
On Friday, the 20th day of April 2007
S.C. 31/2007
Before Their Lordships
Sylvester Umaru
Onu
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Dahiru Musdapher ...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Sunday Akinola
Akintan
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Walter Samuel
Nkanu Onnoghen
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Francis Fedode Tabai ...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Ibrahim Tanko
Muhammad
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Pius Olayiwola
Aderemi
...... Justice, Supreme
Court
Between
Attorney-General of
the Federation
Inspector General of
Police
Independent
National Electoral
Commission
Appellants
And
Alhaji Atiku
Abubakar
(Vice President,
Federal Republic of
Nigeria)
The National
Assembly of the
Federal Republic of
Nigeria
The President of the
Senate of the
Federal Republic of
Nigeria
Speaker, House of
Representative of
the Federal Republic
of Nigeria
Respondents
Judgement of the Court
Delivered by
Sunday Akinola Akintan
The 1st respondent, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar,
commenced this action by an originating summons
filed on 4 th January 2007 at the Court of Appeal
(hereinafter referred to as the court below). The
action was instituted under the original jurisdiction
of that court provided for in section 239(1) of the
1999 Constitution. His claim before the court is as
follows:
"1. Whether having regard to the
combined provisions of Section 135
and 142 (2) of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, the
Plaintiffs term of office as Vice
President, Federal Republic of Nigeria
which commenced on 29th of May,
2003 still subsists.
2. Whether having regard to the
provisions of Section 142, 143, 144
and 146 of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, or
any other provisions of the
Nigeria 1999 or any law, the President
of the Federal Republic of Nigeria can
declare vacant the office of the
Plaintiff as Vice President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria.
3. Whether having regard to the clear
provisions of Section 308 of the
Nigeria 1999, the President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria can
withdraw, tamper or interfere with or
violate the immunity conferred on the
Plaintiff as the Vice President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria by that
section and or direct his arrest or
prosecution.
as referenced in the case you quoted,defendants included the FG,the AGF and the IGP.much as atiku's intention was to seek an interpretation of the constitution as regards his crosscarpeting and declaration of his seat as been vacant,we should not lose sight of the fact that the AGF been listed as a defendant along with the FG and INEC technically means it isn't just a case of the legality or otherwise of his seat been declared vacant by the president,it has more to do with his seat been declared vacant by whomever.

Like I said earlier,pdp is on a wild goose chase the only purpose of which will be academic at best.it will be wrong for anyone to make reference to amaechi v omehia/pdp/inec in support of the suit filed by pdp

Nowhere from sections 176-191 is crosscarpeting listed as a reason for a seat to be declared vacant.sections 188 and 189 detail conditions under which a governor may be removed and decamping is none of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ruga Shouldn’t Operate In Non-fulani States – Ganduje / Jonathan Rejects Demands Of ‘new Pdp’ • / Pro Nigeria Igbos ONLY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.