Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,181 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? (1079 Views)

Jackie Chan Supports Death Penalty For Drug Offences / Iranian Child Bride Facing Execution For Killing Abusive Husband / Do You Support The Coming American War Against The Syria Assad Regime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by mahatmaG: 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2008
"WASHINGTON - President Bush could have commuted the death sentence of Ronald A. Gray, a former Army cook convicted of multiple rapes and murders."

But He did not

"But Bush decided Monday that Gray's crimes were so repugnant that execution was the only just punishment."

The court-martial panel convicted Gray of:

"_Raping and killing Army Pvt. Laura Lee Vickery-Clay of Fayetteville on Dec. 15, 1986. She was shot four times with a .22-caliber pistol that Gray confessed to stealing. She suffered blunt force trauma over much of her body.

_Raping and killing Kimberly Ann Ruggles, a civilian cab driver in Fayetteville. She was bound, gagged and stabbed repeatedly, and had bruises and lacerations on her face. Her body was found on the base.

_Raping, robbing and attempting to kill an army private in her barracks at Fort Bragg on Jan. 3, 1987. She testified against Gray during the court-martial and identified him as her assailant. Gray raped her and stabbed her several times in the neck and side. The victim suffered a laceration of the trachea and a collapsed or punctured lung."

link - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_military_execution

In my own opinion, Death sentence is a craven way man accept his inability to help his fellow brother that needs help,  just my opinion.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by mahatmaG: 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2008
i will never support it.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by funloving(m): 5:40pm On Jul 29, 2008
Mr Mahatma, did you read about all the heinous crimes this Gray of a dude committed ?
So why is it so difficult for you to accept that he should die for his crimes or do you think those he assaulted and killed were less important or relevant. They were children of parents and members of families.

How would you have felt if they were your sisters ?

It beats me bonkers when some funny 'human rightist' fight for the right to life of those who have confessed to assualts and murders. Where were these human rightist when the criminals were prowling their stock in trade ?

I fully support the dealth penalty and anywho who kills by the gun should be ready to face the bullet
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by ayomifull(f): 5:50pm On Jul 29, 2008
mahatma G:

"WASHINGTON - President Bush could have commuted the death sentence of Ronald A. Gray, a former Army cook convicted of multiple rapes and murders."

But He did not

"But Bush decided Monday that Gray's crimes were so repugnant that execution was the only just punishment."

The court-martial panel convicted Gray of:

"_Raping and killing Army Pvt. Laura Lee Vickery-Clay of Fayetteville on Dec. 15, 1986. She was shot four times with a .22-caliber pistol that Gray confessed to stealing. She suffered blunt force trauma over much of her body.

_Raping and killing Kimberly Ann Ruggles, a civilian cab driver in Fayetteville. She was bound, gagged and stabbed repeatedly, and had bruises and lacerations on her face. Her body was found on the base.

_Raping, robbing and attempting to kill an army private in her barracks at Fort Bragg on Jan. 3, 1987. She testified against Gray during the court-martial and identified him as her assailant. Gray raped her and stabbed her several times in the neck and side. The victim suffered a laceration of the trachea and a collapsed or punctured lung."

link - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_military_execution

In my own opinion, Death sentence is a craven way man accept his inability to help his fellow brother that needs help, just my opinion.

With all these he should not just be killed silently he should be tied to a van and driven all over the city to die with pain. God! What human being is this? Raping and killing and he should live? To continue in this or what?
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by SeanT21(f): 8:21pm On Jul 29, 2008
funloving:

Mr Mahatma, did you read about all the heinous crimes this Gray of a dude committed ?
So why is it so difficult for you to accept that he should die for his crimes or do you think those he assaulted and killed were less important or relevant. They were children of parents and members of families.

How would you have felt if they were your sisters ?

It beats me bonkers when some funny 'human rightist' fight for the right to life of those who have confessed to assualts and murders. Where were these human rightist when the criminals were prowling their stock in trade ?

I fully support the dealth penalty and anywho who kills by the gun should be ready to face the bullet

Same here.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by mahatmaG: 5:33pm On Jul 30, 2008
@ Funloving,
Do you believe this man is alright? Is he in the same psychological state as you and I are?
If No, then he needs help
I doubt he is normal.

It is the duty of mankind to render help where it is needed.
The Americans has witnessed similar incident before and the culprit was remanded for life.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by mahatmaG: 5:43pm On Jul 30, 2008
I believe that, Prison is a correctional institution.
We should not just kill, rather we should find a way of correcting this state of psychological imbalance.

As I say, ,  Just my opinion
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by Topsido(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2008
He who kills by the sword (xcept a soldier or police man or other force men of course), must die by the sword. PERIOD.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by landis(m): 8:16am On Jul 31, 2008
EU has no death sentence; you will expect 'killings' to go up but no. It is rather LOW

USA that sentence people to death, still has HIGH killings rate compare to EU.

Nigeria has death sentence, yet crime keeps going up.

This has shown 'death sentence is not any deterant and does not reduce crime.

solution: clean-up your social system.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by mahatmaG: 3:08pm On Jul 31, 2008
landis:

Gbam. Thats the point.

A perfect social system should be the target. We should be cleaning and correcting till we achieve a safer place, not by eliminating and killing. A better correctional institution should be aim at.

Do you think you can reduce crime by annihilating murderers? I don't think so.

Reconsider the info given to us by Landis above.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by JeSoul(f): 4:13pm On Jul 31, 2008
mahatma G:

In my own opinion, Death sentence is a craven way man accept his inability to help his fellow brother that needs help, just my opinion.
Poster, some people are beyond "help". They simply evil and no amount of therapy or rehab will change that.

Have you seen or heard some of the heinous, unspeakable crimes that some people have commited? People who savagely rape and kill little girls, serial killers who torture and eat their victims, repeat rapists who've brutalized multiple victims and have shown no remorse for the lives they've destroyed. . .

you're saying these people simply need our help and understanding? Tell that to the victims and the families of the victims who are devastated. You would feel differently if it were your sister, or mother or wife that was raped and killed.

I support the death penalty 100%.

The only reservation I have is that sometimes justice errorneously jails and executes innocent men.

landis:

EU has no death sentence; you will expect 'killings' to go up but no. It is rather LOW

USA that sentence people to death, still has HIGH killings rate compare to EU.

Nigeria has death sentence, yet crime keeps going up.

This has shown 'death sentence is not any deterant and does not reduce crime.

I agree with you the best solution is to reform the society, you kill a problem at its roots not the branches. Nevertheless if a branch goes bad it must still be cut off. I don't think the sole purpose of the death penalty is to serve as a deterrent, it is also for punishment. People will always kill, steal and rape - it has been happening since the biblical days and they must be punished according to the chosen and accepted laws of the society.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by doyin13(m): 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2008
Jesoul, i am quite surprised you are in support of the Death Penalty.
Makes up for the deficiencies in your basketball knowledge cheesy cheesy tongue

My own viewpoint on the death penalty is nuanced.

I do not believe it should be statutorily permanent. But where a nation
starts to feel insecure with high incidents of homicidal crime, its introduction surely
serves as a useful deterrent, not minding what these statisticians come up
with.

For example, the Uk needs the death penalty like no tomorrow. Little rascals roam
about with no value placed on life at all, and with brevity knowing they can get away
with their heinous crimes.
Re: Bush Approved The Execution Of Former Us Army- Do You Support Death Penalty? by JeSoul(f): 6:02pm On Jul 31, 2008
doyin13:

Jesoul, i am quite surprised you are in support of the Death Penalty.
  Sweetie I'm not all sugar and spice  kiss 
Makes up for the deficiencies in your basketball knowledge cheesy cheesy tongue
   deficiencies? hehe you must have me confused with someone else. . . hmm let me think. . . you!  tongue  cool Don't make me have a showdown with you in basketball jeopardy. . . that unsuspecting guy whose butt I kicked-flawless- in tekken 1 or 2 is still suffering self-confidence issues, 10yrs and counting  cool  one of the proudest moments of my life I tell you.

My own viewpoint on the death penalty is nuanced.

I do not believe it should be statutorily permanent. But where a nation
starts to feel insecure with high incidents of homicidal crime, its introduction surely
serves as a useful deterrent, not minding what these statisticians come up
with.

For example, the Uk needs the death penalty like no tomorrow. Little rascals roam
about with no value placed on life at all
, and with brevity knowing they can get away
with their heinous crimes.
  I hear you. I remember watching the Timothy McVeigh execution coverage . . .all the lives he took, the little children that never got to experience their childhood, dying in such a horrible manner. . .  angry please I woulda injected him myself.

(1) (Reply)

Police Reveal Identity Of Man Shot Dead / Ukraine Vs Russia: Photo Of The Day / Russia Likely In ‘control’ Of Ukraine’s Soledar Town, Claims UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.