Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,439 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Parents And Their Archaic Mentality - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents And Their Archaic Mentality (1622 Views)

Divorce Scare : My Husband Becoming Archaic... Help!!! / Nigerian Parents And Their Daughters: Hilarious Photo Of The Day / He Is 36, Still Stays With His Parents And Wants To Marry Her. Help!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 14, 2013
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2013
grocery: I will try and make my points clear so you will understand me.My parents up till now thinks its only when you were skirt that is when you are considered as the most righteous person on planet earth,not just that when you are sent to only girls or boys boarding school that is when your are a virgin or you haven't know anything at all. talking about my dad, he is just so easily deceived with the book called BIBLE so far as you are carrying the bible you are automatically a child of God,even if some one says you are doing a wrong thing or you don't have a good character that's not for my father. Restricting someone from going out doesn't mean he or she wont have bad friends or even attend night parties,because that very moment you step out of the house so many things will be done. I dont know if anyone here is feeling the way i am,thou am no longer complaining because am already use to it. Imagine a university undergraduate still being treated like a secondary primary school girl.

i rest my case here, will still come back for more if you want to hear.
lmao my parents used to behave like yours but by fire by force i delivered myself from their controlling behaviour.that was even as a teenager.anyway i am not suprised.thats usually how african parents are.

it is you that will say enough is enough.throughout my uni daya from my 100 level down to 400 level they treated me like an adult.my friends come to my place wella and i go as far as edo state from the house under their nose and come back the next day.

however i am not encouraging you to be rebellious because what works for me might nor work for you.just know the circumatance of your own family because there was a time back then when my dad said he will stop paying my fees i said i have hands and legs na and just thank God i am not a fan of promiscuity because if i was i will diagrace you by sleeping with all your friends to pay my fees.that was at 17 then.but i skaled through sha and i have been out of school for some yeara now but me n my dad are now best of friends but that time we showed ourselves o
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by bellong: 7:04pm On Dec 14, 2013
I hope you have actually tried to learn and understand the precept and path they want you to walk. Whatever you think is archaic they are doing to you, they only want the best for you. Why not have a parent-daughter discussion with your parents about their parenting methods if it displease you that much?

If you have been reading the book you termed easily deceived, you would have been good enough to educate them on some things and straighten out certain areas with them.

Meanwhile, by the time you become a mother someday, do not be disturbed when your children call your parenting methods archaic and stupid when you are trying your all to make their life better. Whatever a man sows, he reaps in abundance
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Prymestrr(m): 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2013
Wooooooow! Guess dtz typical of every caring n loving parent. Went through d same sh*t with my mom 4 a while but trust me na. She was always overprotective n commanding type but with my peaceful but extremely stubborn n revolting personality, she got 2 understand that obi has grown in2 a young man with a mind n life of his own . Now we're cool just like old bff's. But my Dad's a nice man but hates bullshit. We have a perfect rapport tho.
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
U'll be fine grin
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 15, 2013
alutacontinua: U'll be fine grin
Maybe its wen I will go for service cos I can't jux wait for my service year
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by baralatie(m): 10:11am On Dec 15, 2013
grocery:
Maybe its wen I will go for service cos I can't jux wait for my service year
take it easy!u will be fine!soon he wil see as a ful grown adult!o.k
dont work overwork urself?
Wether u believe it or not daddy's always cal to seek their kids company and advice.
Please take it easy!
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 15, 2013
cheesy
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:47pm On Dec 15, 2013
By default parents are protective of there children. Not because they hate them, want to limit them or find it joy caging them.

They do this because they love them soo much, because they want the best for them and are afraid they'll get lost and carried away by life due to thier inexperince, naivety and ignorance. They are afraid they'll make terrible mistakes... until you understand this you'll not get the freedom you seek very easy.

Freedom is not given it's earned. you'll have to earn your freedom, their respect and trust.

I'll use my personal experince as a case study at 12 I earned my freedom. what did i do.

I started behaving like an adult. I learnt to take resposiblity for my actions, I toook resposibilty in the home, contributing my best to make sure the house runs well, I took initiative and made suggestions that were useful. I made them understand that "yes i was a kid but with the mind of an adult".

I rememeber saving for a whole year and and giving my mum 350N then as my little contribution to the running of the house. It's a really small amt, but it made her understand that I had a sense of responsibilty and cared for them.

I got a job by 14. I also learnt to respect their decision while giving them solid reasons why i thought my opinion was better. I reasoned with them instead of been aggresive and rude.

I never saw them as my enemies but my confidant, my friend and therefore focused my energy on alaying their fears instead of opposing their decisions.

A loving parent is a childs greatest asset, you're lucky you have one.

It's time to grow up and instead of fighting for ur freedom, focus on earning it.

#Mathew Briggs.

3 Likes

Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
Matthew briggs: By default parents are protective of there children. Not because they hate them, want to limit them or find it joy caging them.

They do this because they love them soo much, because they want the best for them and are afraid they'll get lost and carried away by life due to thier inexperince, naivety and ignorance. They are afraid they'll make terrible mistakes... until you understand this you'll not get the freedom you seek very easy.

Freedom is not given it's earned. you'll have to earn your freedom, their respect and trust.

I'll use my personal experince as a case study at 12 I earned my freedom. what did i do.

I started behaving like an adult. I learnt to take resposiblity for my actions, I toook resposibilty in the home, contributing my best to make sure the house runs well, I took initiative and made suggestions that were useful. I made them understand that "yes i was a kid but with the mind of an adult".

I rememeber saving for a whole year and and giving my mum 350N then as my little contribution to the running of the house. It's a really small amt, but it made her understand that I had a sense of responsibilty and cared for them.

I got a job by 14. I also learnt to respect their decision while giving them solid reasons why i thought my opinion was better. I reasoned with them instead of been aggresive and rude.

I never saw them as my enemies but my confidant, my friend and therefore focused my energy on alaying their fears instead of opposing their decisions.

A loving parent is a childs greatest asset, you're lucky you have one.

It's time to grow up and instead of fighting for ur freedom, focus on earning it.

#Mathew Briggs.

Love ur post,buh being tooooo over protective is not the right thing.so smone can not even attend a frnds wedding out my state or even attend vigil in another church on my own, to cut it short once you are back from sch(cos am in a private uni)NO MORE GOING OUT
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by 4tunebest(f): 7:56pm On Dec 15, 2013
grocery:
Love ur post,buh being tooooo over protective is not the right thing.so smone can not even attend a frnds wedding out my state or even attend vigil in another church on my own, to cut it short once you are back from sch(cos am in a private uni)NO MORE GOING OUT

I was raised this way and 'am thanking God for it. People actually find it difficult to believe I was born and bred in Lag. I would forever be grateful to God and my parents for that kind of upbringing.
@ OP, all I can say is that you are lucky cheesy
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 15, 2013
I appreciate my parents for the effort and care,cos i wonder what the world would have been without them by my side.Thank God for my parents
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:58pm On Dec 15, 2013
grocery:

They are not overprotective at all, get this out of your mind. If they don't protect you who will.

Have you sat down to consider the fact that they don't know who and the caliber of people you are planning to go see in the other town. Or that they fear, you going to a night vigil, to a church they know little about might expose you to dangers you are too young to see.

Instead of ranting... sit down with them and ask them why they would'nt want you go. and one by one try to address their concerns.

Also if u are trying to request something from your parent, make them know you have everthing figured out. start by alaying their fears first before you ask for what you want

Eg.

Dad my best friend Sandra from uni will be getting married next week at so so and so state. For my journey, I have raised so and so amout for my transportation and upkeep. Money which I Saved up from my monthly allowance. I will be leavng very early so i don't arrive late in the night. I will spend 3days and stay at sandra's house. Before i leave please this are the phone no of sandra's parents please do call them and get to know them and do some backgound check. If you have any concerns do let me know. I grateful if you grant me this opportunity to go surport my friend and make her day memorable

the above is a sample approach.

like i said earlier, it's time to grow up and instead of fighting for ur freedom, focus on earning it.

#Mathew Briggs.
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by bukatyne(f): 10:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
@OP:

Matthew really gave a very good suggestion. Trust me, there is no freedom anywhere except you want to live a wayward life. I heard you mentioning service: take it as a year to reflect on what you want to be in life. Sleeping with random men or jumping from one party to another is not enjoyment.

As an example, do your parents know the friend's wedding you are going for? Have you mentioned her in passing to them? Do they know her parents? Do you behaave in a trust worthy way? Can your parents count on you to be where you say you are? I am sure you have been given little opportunities; How did you use them?

I don't like waka waka myself; staying indoors sometimes helps you to reflect

It is well

1 Like

Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2013
Matthew Briggs, who are you?!
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Godmother(f): 5:18am On Dec 16, 2013
Matthew briggs:

They are not overprotective at all, get this out of your mind. If they don't protect you who will.

Have you sat down to consider the fact that they don't know who and the caliber of people you are planning to go see in the other town. Or that they fear, you going to a night vigil, to a church they know little about might expose you to dangers you are too young to see.

Instead of ranting... sit down with them and ask them why they would'nt want you go. and one by one try to address their concerns.

Also if u are trying to request something from your parent, make them know you have everthing figured out. start by alaying their fears first before you ask for what you want

Eg.

Dad my best friend Sandra from uni will be getting married next week at so so and so state. For my journey, I have raised so and so amout for my transportation and upkeep. Money which I Saved up from my monthly allowance. I will be leavng very early so i don't arrive late in the night. I will spend 3days and stay at sandra's house. Before i leave please this are the phone no of sandra's parents please do call them and get to know them and do some backgound check. If you have any concerns do let me know. I grateful if you grant me this opportunity to go surport my friend and make her day memorable

like i said earlier, it's time to grow up and instead of fighting for ur freedom, focus on earning it.

#Mathew Briggs.

Only those who are or have been in this situation understand what it feels like. It feels like you are being choked, like you are in a prison. Its not about wanting to live a wayward life. Your parents have brought you up morally right from birth, so the foundation of your character is already laid and there are things you would never do no matter what.

But at a point what they should do is give you some space while they guide you from the background, not try to control your every waking thoughts and actions!

1 Like

Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by baralatie(m): 9:59am On Dec 16, 2013
Matthew briggs:

Eg.

#Mathew Briggs.
i totaly disagree wit u here.when u av a girl child, dont encourage her like this.u wil not like the results!
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by baralatie(m): 10:01am On Dec 16, 2013
grocery: I appreciate my parents for the effort and care,cos i wonder what the world would have been without them by my side.Thank God for my parents
now this is a gud attitude!u'l be fine!
Re: Parents And Their Archaic Mentality by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 16, 2013
bukatyne: @OP:

Matthew really gave a very good suggestion. Trust me, there is no freedom anywhere except you want to live a wayward life. I heard you mentioning service: take it as a year to reflect on what you want to be in life. Sleeping with random men or jumping from one party to another is not enjoyment.

As an example, do your parents know the friend's wedding you are going for? Have you mentioned her in passing to them? Do they know her parents? Do you behaave in a trust worthy way? Can your parents count on you to be where you say you are? I am sure you have been given little opportunities; How did you use them?

I don't like waka waka myself; staying indoors sometimes helps you to reflect

It is well
Ofcourse dey trust me,livin a wayward life is not even in my agenda nd der is no way I wil live wayward life cos of d trainin I av.buh atleast alil space wil be better or rada very much needed

(1) (Reply)

Looking Beautiful Or Ugly During Pregnancy, What Do You Do? / Photo: Cute Kids Wearing Asoebi / Parents Divided Over VERY Detailed Sex Education Children's Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.