Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? (17878 Views)

See Ben Bruce's Electric Car That Is Charged With Solar (photo) / Sachi Motorsport - Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1,8 20V Turbo 5MT / I Need An Advice On 2001 Passat 1.8 Turbo Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by steffans(m): 9:25am On Dec 31, 2013
turbo charged is d kompressor in Benz
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by pawesome(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2013
MicroBox:
Maybe the battery terminals are still connected while trying to do the welding
everything ws disconnected..
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by pawesome(m): 9:34am On Dec 31, 2013
Somorin#1:

You're blaming VW due to your shadetree shenanigans?
Na wa o...dt ws strong
tell me,wt n wt ws suppose to b done before u welding any part f a car apart from removing d ba3 n disconnecting the plugs...is dia ani oda tin?
if dia is,pls I will like to knw
VW products re to swt buh is just d electrical problem dt it gives dts an issue...hia in d north,pple change dia golf4 engines back to dt f golf3 cz f d turbo stuff....meanwhile fans ma question somorin
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by femi4: 9:35am On Dec 31, 2013
Trac:

***********This [however] will be my last technical post on NL. It is time-consuming and not productive. I will be trivial henceforth with minimal interaction. The “thread” should spare me on this. It is a complex question but [I] won't let it off the hook. A disclaimer: it is NOT for everyone. If engineering phenomena disturbs you, do not proceed.

It is impossible to straighten this answer without thermodynamics. As some of us are familiar with, it is a protracted and deductive science.
The comment written contradicts itself. Insomuch that is void of logic. My initial post on this thread has the answer BUT “everyone” condemned that I made the principle complicated. Meanwhile, I had scratched nothing. Those that understood in its entirety need no further explanation. Those without a clue need no explanation.

To answer the first [and only] question:

Torque != Efficiency

That alone renders the whole question as misplaced. Regarding your question and context, I can’t figure the relationship. If you know it, please give me the mathematical expression with the associated principle(s)/law(s) and I will work with that. However, I do know where you are coming from; a perspective fashioned by mainstream media. I will take the extra length to define “constraints” for the purpose of this objective. It will be lengthy but quantifiable in details. Torque by definition is the integration of force in distance (Force * Distance) or mass in acceleration (Mass * Acceleration) and efficiency of a plant has to do with the ratio in work output relative to the heat input of the working fluid.* Efficiency in this discussion is subdivided into three isolated conditions. Thermal efficiency (in a heat engine**) is the fraction of the heat input that is converted to net-work.

The second law of thermodynamics – Claucius: It is not possible to construct a device that operates in a cycle*** and produces no effects besides the transfer of heat from a lower temperature body to a higher temperature body.
The second law of thermodynamics – Planck: It is not possible for any device that is dependent on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work.

The definitions have been taken care of and the appropriate laws presented.

No engine or system with a hot exhaust is efficient. None! It is how reversible in process the system is that matters. The internal combustion engine is a closed-system and it is greatly dependent on how reversible**** it is. The less reversible, the more the inefficiency. It has nothing to do with high torque equating efficiency. The turbine is a sub-system. It has nothing to do with the closed-system; for a closed-system does not interact with any of its surroundings besides its immediate surroundings. Any expansive-medium**** that has the addition of heat to it will never exceed the temperature difference in reciprocal to the highest temperature in percentage. That is E = [((Th – Tl) / Th) %]. This is known as the Carnot efficiency. As long as the addition of heat is to the expansive-medium, it will never exceed that efficiency. Furthermore, no heat engine cycle can ever be completed without losing some heat to a lower temperature sink. This is the root to the efficiency and your fuel economy. You want minimal heatloss to increase overall efficiency. The less heatloss, the closer you get to 100%. The maximum theoretical efficiency gotten from a gasoline (spark) engine is 25%. You’ll be lucky if you ever get such efficiency. In similitude, it is as an candidate took an exam and made 18%. That is an epic fail. You’ll be shocked the efficiencies of today’s engines. Things did not get better. Also, the higher the number of cylinders, the less efficient the system will be due to irreversibilities. Irreversible****** processes are higher.

Truth is: mainstream media has not communicated core information. It’s partly because everybody must understand and this is a phenomena that cannot be understood by everyone. As I script this, it’s difficult to express this without going deep plus a lot is omitted. Thermodynamics and Heat-Transfer are sub-genres/disciplines/pillars of Hyper-Physics and it's not shallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN0B2RIIMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYwCNThbFeA

Unimaginable! As sensitive as the matter is, they are NOT getting it correct. There are many more. They are not obligated by law to disclose the core.

Don’t fall for the horsepower-torque misconception. In a partial differential mathematical expression, you can freeze a variable and begin to work on the corresponding variable (torque/economy). I hope you caught my drift there. It is wishful thinking that things will change without a heavy price. There is new technology on the shelf. It’s not coming now. At the moment, a test-run is being conducted; a vehicle has been released to forbid you from servicing your own vehicle. You’ll be breaking copyright laws. If it succeeds, then it becomes the norm [moving-forward]. If not, then something else. It’s a business and they want to remain in it.

That is your answer. The gimmick behind the turbines as a turbocharger is another matter. That requires discussion of intimate motive energy and utility principles of the internal combustion engine and it’s purely scientific; because of “low-level” details. It’s unneeded since efficiency has been defined above. In summary, it’s nothing but flexible air-fuel ratio in conjunction with pulse per ignition cycle (duty load). Hence, the word, ingenuity.

What I have disclosed can be proven by anyone that has sound-knowledge of thermodynamics and they can spot the areas that I have left off (omitted). It is full-proof and cannot be bent. However, due to the nature of the content, it requires application of the knowledge and interaction with people to grasp the totality. It's not possible to compress it all as a post.

Let me leave a caveat: vehicles are not going to be engineered efficient for you. There is no profit in that. That burden is left to you. The offer was presented [somewhere] between the forties and sixties and other interests were chosen. It did not matter because it wasn't about them (the me-generation). Talk to old-men/mechanics - they have a different understanding of what the motor vehicle is. Sincerely, they know more about cars than our generation does.

*-------Working fluid is regarded as fuel
**------Cyclic device - an energy converter that uses approximately a fraction of its converted energy e.g. I.C. engine
***-----Temperature differences as it goes high and low. This is known as cyclic processes
****----Processes that can be reversed without leaving a trace to its environment
*****---Fuel as it expands in its surrounding
******--Processes that cannot be reversed
Th - highest temperature of the working fluid
Tl - lowest temperature of the working fluid
Heat-Engine != Internal Combustion Engine - It is a cyclic device. The IC is a heat-engine
Guy calm down, shey na the same Thermo wey I read for school you come made these ambigious? SMH
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by yungboss(m): 9:36am On Dec 31, 2013
steffans: turbo charged is d kompressor in Benz
are you sure, the kompressor in Mercs I think is the roots-type supercharger...
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by lordnammy(m): 10:28am On Dec 31, 2013
f̶̲̥̅̊Θя̩̥̊ heavy duty engine Ȋ̝̊̅† is easy to repair by our local mechanics
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Naijamericana: 10:41am On Dec 31, 2013
ping2ping: Please I see mostly in Volkswagen products having Turbo Charged Engine and I wonder, what exactly is a turbo charged engine?

I notice that turbo charged engines produces higher power that their non turbo engines. For example you will see 1.8L turbo engine producing about 140hp while a 2.0L engine will produce 120hp.

Can the turbo engine be easily fixed by most Nigerian mechanics?

Thanks for all your contributions

I think you should fix turbo or supercharged cars at a dealership
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Naijamericana: 10:43am On Dec 31, 2013
Fully loaded 2013 Audi S4...my sweetheart smiley
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by uduaksun(m): 10:47am On Dec 31, 2013
Pls note that turbo charger is not limited to motor vehicles in its application. It has wider application in automotive engines. It is driven by exhaust gases routed to the turbine side of the turbo. What it does basically is to discharge dry compressed gases(air) into the combustion chamber which in turn mixes with measured quantity of fuel for combustion to take place. most engines using turbo does not use spark plug because d compressed air discharge into d combustion is done at very high temperature which causes combustion to take place at interaction with fuel. This stuff is highly technical. It needs a knowledge of thermodynamics and internal combustion engines.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by austinemar: 11:00am On Dec 31, 2013
its very easy to spot a turbo or super charged vehicle. the turbo is usually attached cloz to the engine along the exhaust manifold.... me sef fit work on turbocharger if small fault dey.
now the simplified gist is that turbocharger is just a vehicle modification to boost its efficiency. the ordinary car has to just take in fuel and air which r compressed to achieve the power needed. in the case of turbo charged car, extra air is taken in. the exhaust gas DAT leaves the exhaust manifold is redirected back into the engine via the turbo charger. the exhaust gas strikes the turbo blades therefore making it expand. expanded air is richer in oxygen therefore greater efficiency is the outcome.

op, u will now understand y turbocharged cars r considered to be more efficient.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by ping2ping: 11:38am On Dec 31, 2013
austinemar: its very easy to spot a turbo or super charged vehicle. the turbo is usually attached cloz to the engine along the exhaust manifold.... me sef fit work on turbocharger if small fault dey.
now the simplified gist is that turbocharger is just a vehicle modification to boost its efficiency. the ordinary car has to just take in fuel and air which r compressed to achieve the power needed. in the case of turbo charged car, extra air is taken in. the exhaust gas DAT leaves the exhaust manifold is redirected back into the engine via the turbo charger. the exhaust gas strikes the turbo blades therefore making it expand. expanded air is richer in oxygen therefore greater efficiency is the outcome.
op, u will now understand y turbocharged cars r considered to be more efficient.

Thanks. Your explanation is better understood than all the engineering theories others are brandishing.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by xfay(m): 11:42am On Dec 31, 2013
wow interesting thread. I always wanted to put a SR20DET into my sunny before a stupid driver crashed into it. I have a thing for small but powerful things.....the smile on your face when you driving a debadged vr6 golf 3 and a guy in a much supposedly powerful car doesn't understand how your keeping up *smile*
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by xfay(m): 11:48am On Dec 31, 2013
austinemar: its very easy to spot a turbo or super charged vehicle. the turbo is usually attached cloz to the engine along the exhaust manifold.... me sef fit work on turbocharger if small fault dey.
now the simplified gist is that turbocharger is just a vehicle modification to boost its efficiency. the ordinary car has to just take in fuel and air which r compressed to achieve the power needed. in the case of turbo charged car, extra air is taken in. the exhaust gas DAT leaves

the exhaust manifold is redirected back into the engine via the turbo charger. the exhaust gas strikes the turbo blades therefore making it expand. expanded air is richer in oxygen therefore greater efficiency is the outcome.

I am not so sure on the expansion theory: I think denser (compressed lower temperature) air contains more oxygen and is is much more preferable for internal combustion engines
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by yungboss(m): 11:53am On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=uduaksun] most engines using turbo does not use spark plug because d compressed air discharge into d combustion is done at very high temperature[quote]
I'm sure you are referring to the CI engines...
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by UdoCasciavit: 2:27pm On Dec 31, 2013
Turbo charged engines incorporates a device known as turbo charger. A turbo charger makes use of exhaust (gas) energy, reroutine it to help charge up the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, thereby leading to a very high thermal efficiency...bla bla bla
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 31, 2013
uduaksun: most engines using turbo does not use spark plug because d compressed air discharge into d combustion is done at very high temperature which causes combustion to take place at interaction with fuel.

No spark plugs?? Really? So how is the cylinder charged ignited? We're talking a spark (gasoline) engine, right?
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2013
In layman's terms, a turbocharger is a pair of fans mounted on a common shaft. One side is mounted on the exhaust manifold in the stream of exhaust gases. As the exhaust gases exit the engine, the fan (turbine) is driven. The other fan housing (cold side) is connected to the engine's intake manifold. As the exhaust gases drive the other end of the turbine (hot side) the cold side (compressor) forces air into the intake.

As more air is forced in, more fuel can be introduced, leading to more engine output. Tubocharging is a way of "stretching" a smaller engine, giving it the characteristics of a larger one with more volume. Compressed air will heat up, so prior to the compressed charge entering the engine, it is passed through an intercooler, or chargecooler. Cold air is denser than hot. It's worth mentioning not ALL turbocharged engines are intercooled. Some light pressure turbo engines don't really require intercoolers.

Whilst a turbo will increase engine output, in most current engines (especially diesels) the sole purpose of turbocharging is to have a cleaner exhaust. This is why the smoke test limits are different from turbocharged and naturally-aspirated diesel engines with the same capacity, from the same manufacturer. Power gains are just an added bonus.

Supercharging is a similar process, though in this case, the input shaft is driven by the crank. The gains here are very different, and more complex to work out. So 14 lbs of boost from a supercharger will not give the same power gains as the same boost pressure from a turbocharger, as any power gains will have to be offset by the crank hp (horsepower) required to drive the supercharger's shaft. No need to go any further here, as it gets more technical, and will only confuse the OP.

2 Likes

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 3:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am really disappointed with your comment about, especially "how unreliable Peugeot 504 & 505 are". Couldn't imagine such statements could come from you.

How unreliable a Peugeot 504 GL bought brand new in 1976 by my father, is. Simply because it had a failed propeller shaft in 2002/2003, after been driven on Nigerian road for more than 26 years old, still having the original engine. What an irony!

How unreliable my Baby is? Peugeot 505 V6, a 1986 production, that still takes me to any part of the country and brings me back without a cough? Really? How unreliable she is?

Am really disappointed, honestly.

Notwithstanding, why not bring those your Toyotas and Honda to Nigeria and lets see how they will hold up together, after driven hard on Nigerian roads for just a year. Of course, the "Honda Surprise " is not your portion, because your Honda is different from others in Nigeria that have proven how reliable their front swivels can be on Nigerian roads. And may be the ever frequent failing dampers of Toyotas driven on Nigerian road is not your portion, because yours was not produced with balloon like others. Talking about durability!

Back then in the East, the frequent failure of CV joints of Japs made the mechanics to start converting the Japs drive shafts with Renault & Peugeot ones, since the French cars CV joints appeared indestructible. It got to a point, the French cars CV joints and/or drive shafts became scarce commodities in the East back then. And you are here telling me how "unreliable " Peugeots are, compared to your Japs. Wonders shall never end.

Why not ask Peugeot owners in Nigeria how many times they have replaced their front ball joints, CV joints and shock absorbers, of all the long years of ownerships of their Lions? Likewise, ask the Toyota and Honda owners the same and lets find out which of the car brands are so unreliable and not durable.

Next time, however you want to impress Nairaland members of cars you drive, speak of what you know.

Ikenna

I see you are pissed i attacked your "LIONS". I just said my observations and you took it out of context.

I used to be a Honda fan till i read a lot about car companies and i found out these guys are just criminals out to make money.

Have you ever asked your self why
Nissan owns 15% or your darling Renault and Renault owns 45% shares in Nissan?
Toyota owns 10% of Tesla motors?
Ford owns 3% of Mazda?
Fiat owns 58.5% of Chrysler? and so on

Do you know a Voyager 1 a space ship owned by NASA was launched in 1977 to space with 1.903×10^10(10 to power 10) km @-148 degree F temperature and it is still running till today without maintenance but car companies tell us about 250k miles and you need a new engine?

Do you know the cars made by the Russians that are in Russia, Cuba Venezuela etc are still running till today?

Do a little more research online and you would be surprise. Just like drug dealers they make their money from the come back (Parts and accessories)

The question is how do i remedy this scam well i cant, but i can but i can buy a reliable car with a high resale value. My own way of minimizing losses

Do not get me wrong i love cars and i would love to own a lot like Jay Leno and George foreman, but i not a millionaire so i stick to a good economic plan.

And when i said "Every fan is a sucker" i meant most things have at least 2 purpose. A fan blows air and sucks air, and you can say a fan cheers for the team and makes money for the shearholders
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by yungboss(m): 3:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
Siena:

No spark plugs?? Really? So how is the cylinder charged ignited? We're talking a spark (gasoline) engine, right?
surprised too, I'm sure he meant the compression-ignition engine
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2013
KA24DETT:

The air passes through the intercooler before it goes back to the engine .
Yes . A turbocharged engines is more economical than a high displacement engine with both engine making the same horsepower.

When it comes to Diesel engine properties. Most Diesel engine comes with turbochargers . U have to cram as much air as you can in the cylinder to generate power . Moreover with diesel, very little or no risk for predetonation so u can run turbos with very high PSI.
I don't think they make an NA diesel anymore .. It's more efficient to have a turbo on a diesel

No unboosted diesel engine in the USA, even the semi trucks have turbos even sometimes two.

The expert on efficiency of engine are truck drivers who drive million miles a year. They mostly all have turbo diesel engines.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
icemann:

I see you are pissed i attacked your "LIONS". I just said my observations and you took it out of context.

I used to be a Honda fan till i read a lot about car companies and i found out these guys are just criminals out to make money.

Have you ever asked your self why
Nissan owns 15% or your darling Renault and Renault owns 45% shares in Nissan?
Toyota owns 10% of Tesla motors?
Ford owns 3% of Mazda?
Fiat owns 58.5% of Chrysler? and so on

Do you know a Voyager 1 a space ship owned by NASA was launched in 1977 to space with 1.903×10^10(10 to power 10) km @-148 degree F temperature and it is still running till today without maintenance but car companies tell us about 250k miles and you need a new engine?

Do you know the cars made by the Russians that are in Russia, Cuba Venezuela etc are still running till today?

Do a little more research online and you would be surprise. Just like drug dealers they make their money from the come back (Parts and accessories)

The question is how do i remedy this scam well i cant, but i can but i can buy a reliable car with a high resale value. My own way of minimizing losses

Do not get me wrong i love cars and i would love to own a lot like Jay Leno and George foreman, but i not a millionaire so i stick to a good economic plan.

And when i said "Every fan is a sucker" i meant most things have at least 2 purpose. A fan blows air and sucks air, and you can say a fan cheers for the team and makes money for the shearholders

Cuban cars are maintained many many times over. They should not be used as any example of automotive prowess. How you been to Cuba and seen the mechanic shops?

Not sure where you are getting your feedback but every space ship after a service duty is practically torn down for repairs and maintenance including the engines. Have you been on a NASA site and talked to NASA engineers?

Your argument is flawed and is misleading to readers of this forum.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by uduaksun(m): 9:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=yungboss][/quote]
Of course, yes! I said most engines, meaning that turbocharger is not limited to only motor vehicles, but larger automotive engines.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Dec 31, 2013
pawesome:
Na wa o...dt ws strong
tell me,wt n wt ws suppose to b done before u welding any part f a car apart from removing d ba3 n disconnecting the plugs...is dia ani oda tin?
if dia is,pls I will like to knw
VW products re to swt buh is just d electrical problem dt it gives dts an issue...hia in d north,pple change dia golf4 engines back to dt f golf3 cz f d turbo stuff....meanwhile fans ma question somorin

Sorry that I can't be of further help. I only want to offer that you shouldn't blame VW for misuse of product.

I really don't know why you guys insist on assaulting this econoboxes on the disastrous Nigerian roads. Must it be a VW Golf? Why not a Nissan truck with solid axles? Golfs are not designed for the harsh duties that we use them in and if we must use them then we must maintain them properly.

Please don't sully manufacturers without just cause.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 2:05am On Jan 01, 2014
icemann: I see you enjoy shearing you knowledge in Thermodynamics, but the sad part is less than 20% of the People in car talk understand you(my estimates From UNESCO says less than 13% grads in the world are science majors)

From my knowledge of Thermodynamics and mechanics I would explain each paragraph to everyone here so they can Understand our arguments instead of throwing big formulas and science laws around and that would cause more confusion.

First

He defined torque as momentum in a circle path, and I agree. He also said part of the energy generated in an engine is used. The rest is wasted through heat, friction etc

He explained 2nd law of thermodynamics in 2 different ways. Trust me you don't need to bother yourselves on that

He tried to explain 2nd law of thermodynamics in relation to efficiency of an engine and the percentage of the overall heat generated is used> He said 25% is Used and I don't agree. It is less than that

The Lower heating value of Octane(the major component in gasoline) is 44 mega joules in 1 kg of octane and most V6 produce 200kw at 5000RPM. No need to crack your head its less than 25%

He tried to use mathematics to model or will I say explain something I can not understand. It was to opened with too many variables. I cnt help here I am not a math major.

Like I sais Torque is Newton per Meter same as momentum. If you generate more momentum form an engine you can push harder on a gear system and create more speed a lot better than less toque on the same Rotation speed(RPM)

In lay mans terms. If you change to a bigger gear in your bicycle it be come harder to ride because the torque your leg is generating is constant and the bicycle gear is resisting your speed. Now if you increases your energy you will def move faster. Same applies to a car

Lets not make this thing complex.

Your job to devalue what I passed across is incomplete, thus making me as a villain. You simply omitted the "juiciest" aspect that was straight to the matter and created your own context. Do yourself the right thing and explain to everyone in this thread from the energy context what I have said. I'm interested how efficient you will convey the information; that is how much useable the information will be. It is only fair you interpret what I say accurately - and not your own interpretation. Use references relating to energy.

I did not make a reference to a bicycle but corrected the misconception that higher torque equates to efficiency. Secondly, it is only respectful to define the variable of such deep topic. So, don't take it as an insult. If you understood it, the definitions shouldn't have bothered you; you'd simply read from mid-post. I cannot predict how far a discussion might go.

In addition to that: the scientific reference along with the derived equation that I asked DOES NOT EXIST. That's why I asked you. It is impossible for you to present any. I am able to challenge you on that based on experience. This is because at ambient temperature, a Joule is of zero work content. That can be proven as well smiley This singular aspect proves your question as void of logic (thermodynamics). Then I went the extra step to explain it with all the definition, laws and expressions. I know better; next time I'll save myself the time.

It's not making things complex. If I did, then I'd speak using subsidiary information and you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. Humbly, I answered you in classical and statistical thermodynamics. The definitions were to clarify that efficiency has nothing to do with torque. That's why I went overboard to make clear so that there will be no confusion. That's where I straightened. There is no confusion [anywhere]. It was on purpose to get the definitions taken care of - so that there is no misunderstanding. Also, I did not address the layman. I addressed YOU. Hence, the disclaimer.

Again, the turbine has nothing to do with the efficiency of a closed-system. It is a sub-system. It works by virtue of reverse-adiabatic compression. Efficiency of the [main] system is where your focus should be. The efficiency did NOT go up. The cyclic processes is what I stressed. Did the turbine eliminate/reverse the unharnessable effects of the cyclic processes? You've failed to address this or you omitted this in your response.

By the way (and again), you have twisted what I've written to suit yourself. Torque has nothing to do with efficiency in the manner you presented it. Efficiency has to do with system. Not Torque!!! Not Gearing!!! That's why the Carnot equation was given. Torque and power has nothing to do with what I am talking about. Your original question had to do with overall efficiency and that is the basis of the discussion.

Furthermore:

Energy != Power

According to Carnot theory of cycle, energy is accessible to generate power only via cyclic processes. This cyclic processes is where the INEFFICIENCY is (working-fluid).

Once again - I am stressing the cyclic processes. Not the bicycle application you mockingly referred to. Work is a couple of phases after what I'm referring to and we aren't going that far (and will never, because its outside of scope).

If you read all that I've written, you'd come to conclusion that all I have elaborated has/had to do with cyclic processes (that is why I took time to detail the second laws). In other words, the response was thoroughly energy-related (not bicycle or torque). I find it amusing that you interpreted the Math as complicated. It is arithmetic (4th-grade Math). Rather than taking the defense that I made things complicated, why not find out what I'm saying and counter where I am wrong - based on your original question - so that "I/we" can learn from your perspective. I've done my part answering with definitions and and the appropriate mathematical expressions to buttress what I've said. The reference here is to ENERGY and not work.

Prove me wrong - show where I am wrong. Tell me where I did not make sense or made things complicated? In addition, answer the question you asked me in scientific details. That is: how a centrifugal pump increases overall efficiency of a heat-engine based on torque, gearings and weight-loss. This way, there will be closure and know who made things complicated. If you are correct, I will admit to it and acknowledge in a response post. I've never denied an acknowledgement when I was wrong on NL.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 2:24am On Jan 01, 2014
icemann: The Lower heating value of Octane(the major component in gasoline) is 44 mega joules in 1 kg of octane and most V6 produce 200kw at 5000RPM. No need to crack your head its less than 25%

Interesting!!!

How did you come about this? Where? How?!

Can you p-l-e-a-s-e explain in details what you meant by the above quote. I am [seriously] interested. How did this surface? Is this orthodox or unorthodox? Where did the figures come from? How did you "cook" the final conclusion? What laws did you use? I'm interested in your application of thermodynamics. Where is such "thermo" applied?
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 3:03am On Jan 01, 2014
uduaksun: Pls note that turbo charger is not limited to motor vehicles in its application. It has wider application in automotive engines. It is driven by exhaust gases routed to the turbine side of the turbo. What it does basically is to discharge dry compressed gases(air) into the combustion chamber which in turn mixes with measured quantity of fuel for combustion to take place. most engines using turbo does not use spark plug because d compressed air discharge into d combustion is done at very high temperature which causes combustion to take place at interaction with fuel. This stuff is highly technical. It needs a knowledge of thermodynamics and internal combustion engines.

If you do not mind me "optimising" what you've written. It is correct but mildly erred. Mildly erred because keywords are misappropriated. The content is correct but also, one-sided. This will buttress my initial post to this thread. It's not a clash at you but awareness for everyone that has some awareness. Fuel will not get cheaper and we aren't moving away from gasoline/diesels in motor vehicles. That will require a revolution that will lead to another age.

It is a turbine or centrifugal pump. The turbocharger is an adjective not a noun. In other words, it is used as a turbocharger (reverse-adiabatic compression).

Furthermore, a centrifugal pump can be used to increase the overall efficiency of a heat-engine. This is not turbocharging. Fuel preservation is almost doubled in relation to consumption. This is where NL'ers had problems. The engine efficiency in a gasoline engine is increased by 62.5% in efficiency. It's not done or automotive vehicles and doesn't have a mainstream adjective as turbocharging does. This is left to owners (if they choose). It is widely used in military vehicles and other fuel-dependent applications. In war, resources are not in abundance. It is also used extensively in oil-and-gas machineries.

You limit yourself greatly if you learn the internal combustion engine. The heat-engine is the correct reference in that context. This gives the superceding understanding.

femi4: Guy calm down, shey na the same Thermo wey I read for school you come made these ambigious? SMH

Where is the ambiguity? I don't know the thermodynamics you studied. It is a big shame that Nigerians will come online and cry-out that an algebraic expression has made a statement complicated. On the internet??! Nigeria utilise centrifugal technology. It is used at the rigs as well as other applications. One of the major milestones in Nigerian oil-producing companies is to be well sound in this area. The everyday-man is seeking ways to reduce his fuel consumption and we are referring to 1930's mentality of turbocharging. Problems in defining efficiency and stumbling at Carnot's principle is not a good impression in any way. What you criticised is a big exposure. What I did not detail is where the monetary counter is (but it's there in the post). It is from professional R-and-D investigation (at molecular investigation for an unrelated upcoming design) I got to discover this and I scaled this down to statistical thermodynamics and there is disturbance. What would have happened if I used the actual terminology? Information for the masses is given to them by those that have the power to control. The news media has done a bad job telling it as it is. I hope the same isn't done on other sensitive related matters like politics.

George Orwell stated " When deceit becomes universal, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act (or act of revolution). The motor vehicle is a product; and it sold to you new as defective - no matter how fancy. You have power when you understand the rudiments of the product rather than the selling point of the product.

The awareness for the enthusiastic engineer or technologist has been created. They will do their own work (especially those with the engineering resources). A good objective has been fulfilled.

That's my two-cents.

1 Like

Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Trac: 4:06am On Jan 01, 2014
@YoungBoss,

I'm still upholding my promise. I didn't forget it. It has begun. Bear with me.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 01, 2014
Somorin#1:

Some of us that are non posers and are autoist to the core appreciates someone that is maintaining a 504/404 instead of buying the latest plastic crap from Korea.

Just saying.

Kudos to Ikenna for sharing his automotive accomplishment. Some of us love reading them and appreciates what is involved in the hobby.
Well said. Tanx man.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by yungboss(m): 1:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
Trac: @YoungBoss,

I'm still upholding my promise. I didn't forget it. It has begun. Bear with me.
ok Trac, thanks. I'll send you an email,the previous one is now defunct.
Re: What Is A Turbo Charged Engine? by icemann(m): 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2014
Trac:

Interesting!!!

How did you come about this? Where? How?!

Can you p-l-e-a-s-e explain in details what you meant by the above quote. I am [seriously] interested. How did this surface? Is this orthodox or unorthodox? Where did the figures come from? How did you "cook" the final conclusion? What laws did you use? I'm interested in your application of thermodynamics. Where is such "thermo" applied?

Error in my part. I always taught it was 2% to 5%.

Mr Trac i used a bicycle analogy to make people understand my point. Most people here didn't do intro to thermodynamics and cant even convert KWh to Joules. Please do explain to us like we are 5 year old.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Ways To Kill Your Car / 2003 Nissan 350z Restoration / Funny Things Nigerian Motorist Do To Save Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.