Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night (1316 Views)

Fasheun, Adams, Dokubo Others Threaten To Sue NNPC Over Contract Termination / Senate Summons Okonjo-iweala, Allison-madueke, NNPC Over Fuel Scarcity / Senate Probes Alleged Missing $49.8 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Kingspin(m): 7:37am On Dec 17, 2013
Arguments as CBN confronts
NNPC over missing $49.8 News By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor,
North and Chris Ochai
Attempt by the Federal
Government to douse the
tension generated by the claim
by the Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, that the
sum of $49.8 billion had not
been remitted by the Nigerian
National Petroleum
Corporation to the Federal
purse ended in deadlock last night. The meeting, which was
summoned on the orders of the
Presidency following a strong
letter by Sanusi to President
Goodluck Jonathan to probe the
missing sum, started at about midday and did not end until
about 8pm. It was presided over by the
Permanent Secretary of the
Ministry of Petroleum
Resources, Mr. Dandali Kifasi
and attended by officials from
the Central Bank of Nigeria, Ministries of Finance and
Petroleum, Federal Inland
Revenue Service and the NNPC
and some presidential aides. Vanguard learnt that the
meeting was characterised by
heated arguments between
officials of the CBN on one
hand and those of the NNPC
and its subsidiaries, who are involved in oil production and
sales for Nigeria. CBN, it was learnt, had
presented data, which it
claimed emanated from the
NNPC subsidiary and insisted
that the missing amount had
not been remitted to the Federation Account, a claim
that infuriated NNPC officials
present. A source at the meeting hinted
that the arguments were so
fierce that the Permanent
Secretary of the Petroleum
Ministry, who presided, had to
storm out of the venue in anger but was later persuaded to
return. In a deft move to calm down
frayed nerves, the meeting
went on break for about an
hour and reconvened later in
the day but the contentious
issue of the actual amount remitted by the NNPC to the
Federation Account since the
beginning of the year, could
not be agreed upon between
its officials and those of CBN. Unable to resolve their
differences over what has been
generated and remitted, the
meeting was called off at
about 8p and a decision taken
to reconvene today with a view to finding out where the
missing link in the lingering
faceoff must have occurred. The NNPC insists that the
amount claimed by the CBN is
not missing; adding that the
economy would have collapsed
if the said amount was
withheld or withdrawn from the system. NNPC’s Executive Director in
charge of Exploration and
Production, Eng. Abiye
Membere, who addressed the
media on Saturday on the
issue, insisted that the corporation had paid in full to
the CBN the proceeds from oil
within the period under
review.
www.vanguardngr.com
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by peleson: 8:14am On Dec 17, 2013
NNPC is the most corrupt institute in Nigeria, all those mgrs are in it. They will corner billions and make it look vague and later everybody will blame the president and FG. The minister may not even know.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by kokoA(m): 8:25am On Dec 17, 2013
Where are those people who said Sanusi has withdrawn his claim? Lol.. The Sanusi I know can never raise an accusation as enormous as this if something fishy isn't going on somewhere.. He's just about the most honest Nigerian in public office now.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by fkaz(m): 8:29am On Dec 17, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Gamji007: 8:51am On Dec 17, 2013
So, NNPC couldn't convince the CBN officials and other people present that $50billion wasn't missing? shocked Dis one no be small matter ooo!

At the end of everything, the will all arrive to a "wuru-wuru" conclusion and tell Nigerians it was all a misunderstanding (they think all Nigerians are foolish). Atleast, Sanusi, The whistle blower, has made his point, its left for Nigerians to shine their eyes.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 17, 2013
We do not need information from unknown "sources". NNPC has moved from one media house to the other speaking openly and clarifying the payment it made within the period. The CBN governor, who originated this controversy, should also come out openly to defend the CBN position.

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by banki(m): 9:10am On Dec 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: We do not need information from unknown "sources". NNPC has moved from one media house to the other speaking openly and clarifying the payment it made within the period. The CBN governor, who originated this controversy, should also come out openly to defend the CBN position.

sometimes i wonder what you realy represent
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by desgiezd(m): 9:15am On Dec 17, 2013
kokoA: Where are those people who said Sanusi has withdrawn his claim? Lol.. The Sanusi I know can never raise an accusation as enormous as this if something fishy isn't going on somewhere.. He's just about the most honest Nigerian in public office now.

In addtion to the above, Sanusi is also fearless. He must have studied the trend of the inflows and probably compare it with inflows in the past before blowing the trumpet. We need more people like him in government.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by DonaldGenes(m): 9:19am On Dec 17, 2013
You see,the problem with Gej is that his body language seems lukewarm to really tackle this hydra-headed monster called corruption.Here is my reason,The fact that he hasn't be fierce by at least making one person a scape goat in his government which is indirectly giving fillip to some of this Government staffs to keep stealing with unfettered impunity, this might deter some people from stealin may be or may be not-
Everyday we keep hearing sh!t as this without any concrete action taken-It's high time he bestir some form of harsh action to convince me he is Not what Nigerians have been calling him

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Clerverly: 9:27am On Dec 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: We do not need information from unknown "sources". NNPC has moved from one media house to the other speaking openly and clarifying the payment it made within the period. The CBN governor, who originated this controversy, should also come out openly to defend the CBN position.

I do not know why you choose to support NNPC against CBN...both are under the employment of FG supervised by Jonathan. Why not wait for the full details before pitching tent! Remember we are talking about $50Billion angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by kokoA(m): 9:35am On Dec 17, 2013
desgiezd:

In addtion to the above, Sanusi is also fearless. He must have studied the trend of the inflows and probably compare it with inflows in the past before blowing the trumpet. We need more people like him in government.
I fell in love with him (no homo cheesy) the day he sat in front of a senate committee and one old senator asked him in form of a threat if he still loved his job, he told them point-blank "My name is Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. My name is not CBN governor. If you want me to resign, I will resign".

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by seunmsg(m): 9:57am On Dec 17, 2013
banki:

He represents everything bad, evil, immoral and corrupt about Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by babytoun: 10:04am On Dec 17, 2013
This is why I "hate" these guys that call themselves progressive. Don't say it, let people see it. We see what is clear based on "economic arithmetic" and still play politics with it. Can $49 billion be missing in 1 year and only CBN notices? Can the CBN tell us how much of these proceeds got remitted in 2011. I have listened to a lot of commentators and on the face of it appears Sanusi GOOFED.

Sanusi I know very well is very proud, rash and always looks out for what is sensational. This opens him up to a lot of mistakes as the drive to go public overshadows the need for the necessary due diligence expected of someone of his calibre.

If this shout by sanusi is clearly proven to be a false claim then he will have a lot of questions to answer ranging from technical competence to manage the nations apex bank to the REAL motive behind this shout of missing funds. e no go sweet for sanusi especially now that GEJ is seeing "enemies" everywhere

2 Likes

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Olaolufred(m): 10:15am On Dec 17, 2013
peleson: NNPC is the most corrupt institute in Nigeria, all those mgrs are in it. They will corner billions and make it look vague and later everybody will blame the president and FG. The minister may not even know.

LAME EXCUSE.

IF YOU DO NOT PURNISH THE ONE YOU CAUGHT, YOU ARE DIRECTLY TELLING THEM THEY ARE WELLCOMED.
GOODLUCK'S STANCE ON CORRUPTION SHOWS HE IS AN ACCOMPLICE.

I VOTED HIM IN 2011, BUT IT PAINED MY HEART THAT MY VOTED PAL KEPT REPEATING THIS TRASH
"CORRUPTION IS NOT OUR NO. 1 PROBLEM"

I LEFT MY HOPE OF HIM BEING A BETTER PRESIDENT.
IF HE CAN NOT EVEN IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM, HOW WILL HE SOLVE THEM?
HE PROMISED HEAVEN AND EARTH FOR SUBSIDY TO BE REMOVED, IS SURE-P SURE?

GOODLUCK, SURROUNDED HIMSELF WITH HIS GREATEST ENEMIES.
AND HE KEPT DANCING TO THE TUNE OF A DROWNING GHOST.

SMH.

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Brimmie(m): 10:26am On Dec 17, 2013
Mo'Ron.. You and who?? undecided Speak for yourself!!

We know Jonathan is synonymous with Corruption.. And you see everyone against Corruption as Anti-Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by vedaxcool(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin soon they will say deputy govs in CBN are not in support of the letter, Truly Jona runs a kindergarten presidency!
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by babytoun: 10:53am On Dec 17, 2013
vedaxcool: grin grin grin grin soon they will say deputy govs in CBN are not in support of the letter, Truly Jona runs a kindergarten presidency!

I have worked with SLS before and I can tell you that can be painfully true.

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by vedaxcool(m): 11:23am On Dec 17, 2013
^^^

Really? in what capacity? was back then in First Bank, any case do you mean they are against him?
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by babytoun: 11:33am On Dec 17, 2013
^^^^^^

Yes in First Bank. I left before he became MD. When I say "worked with" I mean at project level where he was the project sponsor. I will not talk more on this. but Sanusi is very very rash.

1 Like

Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Phranciz(m): 11:52am On Dec 17, 2013
I stand here to say if insincere 9gerian is not benefiting from PDP or the presidency then he has family members who are, or he might be one of the ijaw tout Obj spoke about that help in making nigeria sound like a one village community or even worse he might be the 3 of them I just mentioned.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Olugbenger(m): 11:53am On Dec 17, 2013
grin
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Abagworo(m): 12:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nigerians need the meeting televised.
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Beaf1: 1:36pm On Dec 17, 2013

Who is 'we' in this your post? I hope you dont mean 'we nigerians'?

This guy must be Abati or Okupe cheesy
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by pokur: 1:52pm On Dec 17, 2013
banki:

His stomach?
Re: The Meeting Between CBN And NNPC Over Missing $49.8 Ended in Deadlock Last Night by Demdem(m): 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2013
Vouching for NNPC is like vouching for miserable peeps like Ibori and alams. Confirmed thieves.

(1) (Reply)

Central Bank Deputy Governor, Babatunde Lemo, Bows Out Of CBN On Friday / Ezuma The Billionaire Baby Seller and his ugly tactics / Osun 2014: Opon Imo Has 17 Subjects With 84.7% Errors-Omisore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.