Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,992 members, 7,835,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks (1650 Views)

Turkey Apologizes To Russia Over Downing Jet / "I Am Sorry" Tony Blair Apologizes For Iraq War / Norway Apologizes For Selling Military Wares To Nigerian Insurgents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by smile4kenn(m): 4:47am On Jul 31, 2008
Washington has formally apologised to millions of black people and their ancestors for decades of racial injustices as lawmakers approved an unprecedented apology for the wrongs committed against them under slavery segregation laws.
"Today represents a milestone in our nation's efforts to remedy the ills of our past," said Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus.

The resolution, passed by voice vote, was the work of Tennessee Democrat Steve Cohen, the only white lawmaker to represent a majority black district. Congress has issued apologies before - to Japanese-Americans for their internment during World War II and to native Hawaiians for the overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom in 1893.

In 2005, the Senate apologized for failing to pass anti-lynching laws. Five states have issued apologies for slavery, but past proposals in Congress have stalled, partly over concerns that an apology would lead to demands for reparations - payment for damages. The Cohen resolution does not mention reparations.

It does commit the House to rectifying "the lingering consequences of the misdeeds committed against African-Americans under slavery. It said that Africans forced into slavery "were brutalized, humiliated, dehumanized and subjected to the indignity of being stripped of their names and heritage" and that black Americans today continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow laws that fostered discrimination and segregation. The House "apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow."

"Slavery and Jim Crow are stains upon what is the greatest nation on the face of the earth," Cohen said. Part of forming a more perfect union, he said, "is such a resolution as we have before us today where we face up to our mistakes and apologize as anyone should apologize for things that were done in the past that were wron g." Cohen became the first white to represent the 60 percent black district in Memphis in more than three decades when he captured a 2006 primary where a dozen black candidates split the vote.

He has sought to reach out to his black constituents, and early in his term showed interest in joining the Congressional Black Caucus until learning that was against caucus rules. Another of his first acts as a freshman congressman in early 2007 was to introduce the slavery apology resolution. His office said that the House resolution was brought to the floor only after learning that the Senate would be unable to join in a joint resolution. More than a dozen of the 42 Congressional Black Caucus members in the House were original co-sponsors of the measure.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/july/31/national-31-07-2008-003.htm
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by KarmaMod(f): 5:10am On Jul 31, 2008
where's hero, girl22, sista and co>

Maybe now they'll stop whining
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by SeanT21(f): 8:33am On Jul 31, 2008
Good Job!!

Now let them give all black people in america free checks
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by KarmaMod(f): 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2008
They already give them free checks

-WIC checks
-Food Stamps
-Medicad

They should just stop whining.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2008
KarmaMod:

-WIC checks
-Food Stamps
-Medicad

ROFLMAO!!!!!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 11:16am On Aug 01, 2008
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!!!!

@Kobojunkie

You're just a pathetic imp!

I'm so glad you were kicked off the moderator position! Such an inhumane beast!

Many of us protested your appointment as Politics moderator, and Seun finally saw the darkness in your heart.

Nobody should ever give you a position of responsibility that requires principles like: fairness, equity, empathy or compassion. You have none of these attributes, and I pray all those around you will keep vigil, watch you closely, and bring you down the moment you rise up! A monster cannot be a mentor!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 11:18am On Aug 01, 2008
SeanT21:

Good Job!!

Now let them give all black people in america free checks

What's the meaning of this statement?
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 11:19am On Aug 01, 2008
KarmaMod:

-WIC checks
-Food Stamps
-Medicad

The sound of unfathomable ignorance!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gamine(f): 11:33am On Aug 01, 2008
Why are you fighting for them??
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gonorrhea(m): 11:39am On Aug 01, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@Kobojunkie
You're just a pathetic imp!
I'm so glad you were kicked off the moderator position! Such an inhumane beast!
Many of us protested your appointment as Politics moderator, and Seun finally saw the darkness in your heart.
Nobody should ever give you a position of responsibility that requires principles like: fairness, equity, empathy or compassion. You have none of these attributes, and I pray all those around you will keep vigil, watch you closely, and bring you down the moment you rise up! A monster cannot be a mentor!

chei!! grin

U have just been spit-roasted!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On Aug 01, 2008
omg !!! roflmao!!!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2008
It is sad that many Africans look down on African Americans in their hurried bid to lick the white man's ass while climbing up the ladder towards the so-called American dream.

Why should anybody make light of the horrendous atrocities meted out on African Americans for over 300 hundred years? This apology, though belated, is perfectly in order. And insensitive Africans (especially those idiotic and arrogant Nigerians) should either commend the move, or shut their f-cking traps!

This is the main reason Africa is in so much darkness. We dislike ourselves to the point that when the white man apologizes for slavery, some fools make a jest of the whole affair! angry

How many of you psychopaths laughed when then German president, Johannes Rau, apologized for the Holocaust in 2000?

None of you morons laughed, you couldn't! Why?

It's because in your demented minds, the white man's life is more precious than the black man's life. Much more than six million Africans died during the roughly 300-year period of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws, injustice, state-sanctioned murders and assassinations, tyranny and lynchings.

But no! Your deep inferiority complex will never make you reconcile these truths.

What do you have against our African American cousins? What? You think you're better off than them? While your hopeless Nigeria crumbles under the weight of corruption, African Americans are making powerful strides in America.

You think your culture is "better"? Rubbish! Nigerians shoot and kill each other with impunity on Nigerian campuses! Aren't those students raised in that your so-called "better" culture? Your politicians rape your wealth in billions of dollars! Aren't those kleptomaniacs products of your "better" culture? I dare conjecture that your "Nigerian culture" (whatever that means) is no better than the African American culture. You think you're smarter? I laugh you all! Don't let "white lies" fool you! African Americans are as smart as any other group on this planet! When Charles Reason was a professor in 1849, Samuel Ajayi Crowther had not seen the four walls of a university! Wait! There is an African American Grand Master! Nigeria has none! You think you're prettier? When Beverly Johnson was gracing the covers of Vogue, neither Agbani Darego nor Oluchi Onweagba was born!

Hip-hop and rap (let's leave out the all-too-popular jazz for now), powerful products of the vibrant African American culture, have swayed your Nigerian youths, and dominated the Nigerian musical scene!

Arrogant Nigerians! Rubbish!!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
Gamine:

Why are you fighting for them??

I'm tired of we Nigerians abusing African Americans. African Americans have suffered so much injustice that I will never keep quiet and watch anybody put them to ridicule.

Many of these ignorant brats, whenever they choose to become US citizens (it's a choice - just stating the obvious, I know), will be classed as African Americans by both the federal and state government.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 12:36pm On Aug 01, 2008
Roflmao!!!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gonorrhea(m): 12:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
Kobojunkie u just dey laff all over the place!

u inhale laffing gas today?! grin

hope u aight tho!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 12:54pm On Aug 01, 2008
Gonorrhea:

Kobojunkie u just dey laff all over the place bro!

hope u aight tho!

That's how she behaves. I just pity her boy friend (if any man finds her nastiness attractive).
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gonorrhea(m): 1:00pm On Aug 01, 2008
RichyBlacK:

That's how she behaves. I just pity her boy friend (if any man finds her nastiness attractive).

grin
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gamine(f): 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2008
i get you Richy

but the AA's have to get off their ass
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by TayoD1(m): 1:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
@RichyBlack,

It is sad that many Africans look down on African Americans in their hurried bid to lick the white man's ass while climbing up the ladder towards the so-called American dream.
And it is a pity that you are so quick to condemn your fellow Africans when you do not know where they are coming from. To be honest with you, I have suffred more discrimination here in the hands of black than wiht Whites. I was racially addressed by Whites only 2 times, but I can count at least 5 times that the so called African Americans have adressed me racially. To tell you the truth, they hate African immigrants as much as they do Whites.

Why should anybody make light of the horrendous atrocities meted out on African Americans for over 300 hundred years? This apology, though belated, is perfectly in order. And insensitive Africans (especially those idiotic and arrogant Nigerians) should either commend the move, or shut their f-cking traps!
Of what point is the apology I ask? Those who need the apologies and those who committed the discriminations are in the grave. They can offer apologies on the behalf of those who practiced slave trade and on behalf of the law-makers who upheld discrimination laws. But the average American is not racist, neither do they segragate and they should not be regarded as doing so.

This is the main reason Africa is in so much darkness. We dislike ourselves to the point that when the white man apologizes for slavery, some fools make a jest of the whole affair!
You take things too far. Kobo was laughing to a separate issue altogether. You need to chill out a litle. Take a break and go get so chilled cool-aid.

How many of you psychopaths laughed when then German president, Johannes Rau, apologized for the Holocaust in 2000?
No one laughed at either slavery or the holocaust. Its dishonest to accuse anyone of what they did not do.

None of you morons laughed, you couldn't! Why?
Now you are calling people names.

It's because in your demented minds, the white man's life is more precious than the black man's life. Much more than six million Africans died during the roughly 300-year period of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws, injustice, state-sanctioned murders and assassinations, tyranny and lynchings.
And please do not forget to include the fact that 100s of thousands of Whites also died fighting to end slavery. Does that count for anything. Human life is equally precious, skin colour on the other hand means nothing.

But no! Your deep inferiority complex will never make you reconcile these truths.
What truth? You've only presented half-truths so far.

What do you have against our African American cousins? What? You think you're better off than them? While your hopeless Nigeria crumbles under the weight of corruption, African Americans are making powerful strides in America.
I thought America was against them. How come they are making powerful strides? You mean the people that were taken away as slaves are doing better than those that have lived in freedom? I wonder who is responsible for that. By the way, African Americans, detest African immigrants. I have some theories why it is so, though I cannot really prove it.

You think your culture is "better"? Rubbish! Nigerians shoot and kill each other with impunity on Nigerian campuses! Aren't those students raised in that your so-called "better" culture? Your politicians rape your wealth in billions of dollars! Aren't those kleptomaniacs products of your "better" culture? I dare conjecture that your "Nigerian culture" (whatever that means) is no better than the African American culture. You think you're smarter? I laugh you all! Don't let "white lies" fool you! African Americans are as smart as any other group on this planet! When Charles Reason was a professor in 1849, Samuel Ajayi Crowther had not seen the four walls of a university! Wait! There is an African American Grand Master! Nigeria has none! You think you're prettier? When Beverly Johnson was gracing the covers of Vogue, neither Agbani Darego nor Oluchi Onweagba was born!
Hip-hop and rap (let's leave out the all-too-popular jazz for now), powerful products of the vibrant African American culture, have swayed your Nigerian youths, and dominated the Nigerian musical scene!

Arrogant Nigerians! Rubbish!!
Are you trying to perpetuate the divide or tear it down? I really don't catch your drift here.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2008
Gonorrhea:

Kobojunkie u just dey laff all over the place bro!

hope u aight tho!

I dey alright oo!! Just wonder how some people approach issues here, somehow believing that launching personal attacks on others somehow solidifies anything they have to offer. LMAO!!! How else do you respond to such childish behaviour? I laugh at such!!! LMAO!!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Gonorrhea(m): 2:01pm On Aug 01, 2008
Make una take am easy on the personal attacks! grin
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2008
I don't deal in personal attacks,  I have no inside info on anyone in here; I can not claim to have anyone figured out; believe in freedom of speech, and I believe it is childish for an adult to resort to such no matter what the circumstance. I do believe in laughing when I see people make silly statements or funny ones. Never seems to amaze me how people choose to react to circumstances.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by 4Play(m): 9:11pm On Aug 01, 2008
@RichyBlack

Beyond your hysterical rant,you did make a valid point.

I don't get the disdain Africans display towards African-Americans in the US or Afro-Carribeans in the UK.Mind you,it is a 2 way thing but I'm more concerned about our own transgressions.

You see Africans lambasting Caribeans for having the worst educational attainment in the UK but they fail to realise that the reason why we may seem to be more hardworking or ambitious is that the sort of Nigerians that emigrate are not necessarily representative of the average Nigerian.

The average Nigerian is no better than the average African-American or Caribbean.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On Aug 01, 2008
Tayo-D:

Kobo was laughing to a separate issue altogether. You need to chill out a litle. Take a break and go get so chilled cool-aid.
No one laughed at either slavery or the holocaust. Its dishonest to accuse anyone of what they did not do.

thank you ooO!!!

4 Play:

@RichyBlack

I don't get the disdain Africans display towards African-Americans in the US or Afro-Carribeans in the UK.Mind you,it is a 2 way thing but I'm more concerned about our own transgressions.

You see Africans lambasting Caribeans for having the worst educational attainment in the UK but they fail to realise that the reason why we may seem to be more hardworking or ambitious is that the sort of Nigerians that emigrate are not necessarily representative of the average Nigerian.

The average Nigerian is no better than the average African-American or Caribbean.

Considering that in Africa and the carribean, tribalism seems to reigns supreme, the disdain towards African-Africans and vice versa should not come as a surprise.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2008
4 Play:

@RichyBlack

@ 4 Play,

Yep, I was indeed hysterical! Really fed up with Nigerians looking down on our African American brothers and sisters.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by RichyBlacK(m): 11:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack,
And it is a pity that you are so quick to condemn your fellow Africans when you do not know where they are coming from. To be honest with you, I have suffred more discrimination here in the hands of black than wiht Whites. I was racially addressed by Whites only 2 times, but I can count at least 5 times that the so called African Americans have adressed me racially. To tell you the truth, they hate African immigrants as much as they do Whites.
Of what point is the apology I ask? Those who need the apologies and those who committed the discriminations are in the grave. They can offer apologies on the behalf of those who practiced slave trade and on behalf of the law-makers who upheld discrimination laws. But the average American is not racist, neither do they segragate and they should not be regarded as doing so.
You take things too far. Kobo was laughing to a separate issue altogether. You need to chill out a litle. Take a break and go get so chilled cool-aid.
And please do not forget to include the fact that 100s of thousands of Whites also died fighting to end slavery. Does that count for anything. Human life is equally precious, skin colour on the other hand means nothing.
What truth? You've only presented half-truths so far.
I thought America was against them. How come they are making powerful strides? You mean the people that were taken away as slaves are doing better than those that have lived in freedom? I wonder who is responsible for that. By the way, African Americans, detest African immigrants. I have some theories why it is so, though I cannot really prove it.
Are you trying to perpetuate the divide or tear it down? I really don't catch your drift here.

@ Tayo-D,

It seems your personal experience with African Americans has colored your view of this subject; well, I understand. Yes, I agree some African Americans don't like African immigrants, and I've experienced such in the States. But this does not mean we Nigerians should ridicule the sufferings they went through.

Now, your assertion that those who should receive the apology are dead, is laughable at best. That apology was not just for slavery, but also for Jim Crow laws, segregation, state-sanctioned terror and gross miscarriage of justice. Many African Americans who lost loved ones through lynching are still alive today. They've suffered and the US government should apologize to them. Many who suffered from all sorts of institutionalized racism, injustice in the courts, police brutality, evil medical experiments, etc., are alive and need to hear this apology.

Yes, thousands of Whites died to preserve the Union, but why are you rehashing that historical fact? Those people died, just like thousands of blacks who fought and died to preserve the Union. Blacks and Whites died to preserve the Union, but blacks were the target of the evils of slavery and the many devils it spawned.

You seem to have a penchant to confound individual reality with global reality. Bringing up individual experiences does not change global realities. Telling me that Obama may be next president, does not change that fact that the US criminal injustice system is unfair to blacks in America - you included!

The fact remains the the United States government actively supported slavery and allowed injustice and segregation targeted at blacks. Some members of the US congress have awoken from their slumber, and now want to tender some form of apology on behalf of the United States government. That apology should be taken for what it is - an apology. You cannot make light of this very sensitive issue, you just cannot!
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by KarmaMod(f): 2:05pm On Aug 02, 2008

Are you minding that bloody FEMALE? Screaming like a teenager with PMS. I know what I went thru with black americans growing up and everyday I thank God my parents sent us to Naija for secondary school.

Ode, keep screaming.

Who the hell was laughing about the apology, you obnoxious twit. Black Americans has been using the "oh they have never apologized to us like they've done the others" for the longest time as reason not to do anything. Let me die here on welfare, after all I was a 'slave", I was never "apologized to" I deserve "reparations". abeg go and sit down. Come back when you know what you are talking about. Not that I bothered to read the rest of your ridiculous rant anyway.

Im sure if you brown nose them enough, they'll pass you some of their lardy soul food. Were.

Cant believe you are even trying to deny what I wrote, everyone knows they get the most help in this country so go boo-hoo elsewhere.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by TayoD1(m): 2:07pm On Aug 02, 2008
@RichyBlack,

Now, your assertion that those who should receive the apology are dead, is laughable at best. That apology was not just for slavery, but also for Jim Crow laws, segregation, state-sanctioned terror and gross miscarriage of justice. Many African Americans who lost loved ones through lynching are still alive today. They've suffered and the US government should apologize to them. Many who suffered from all sorts of institutionalized racism, injustice in the courts, police brutality, evil medical experiments, etc., are alive and need to hear this apology.
I hope you are aware that Obama too is not for apologies nor reparations! That being said, I think you misunderstand me. I am indeed unapologetic about the fact that the children are not responsible for the sins of their fathers. So asking the children to apologise for the deliberate actions of fully grown men is ridiculous.

However, I mentioned that Congress may offer apologies on behalf of its body that legislated and upheld those segregation laws. The body as an entity is guilty while Americans as a whole are not. In my discussion with some White folks, they feel really pissed off for any govt to apologise for them. Like the guy said, "No one in my family tree ever owned slaves nor practiced segregation as a lifesyle, so why should I be bundled together with thos who did"? that is a valid point.

And come to think of it, will the apologies and reparations extend to Africa? 'Cos in the true sense, it is not only those who were taken away as slaves that suffered, but also those who were left behind.

Lastly, I will like to know exactly how that apology will change the lives of the average Black man out there.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by KarmaMod(f): 2:09pm On Aug 02, 2008
Tayo-D:
Lastly, I will like to know exactly how that apology will change the lives of the average Black man out there.

They wont be able to make excuses for their lives anymore.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by TayoD1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 02, 2008
@KarmaMod,

Abeg take am easy o. It appears you have brought into this thread some hard feelings from another.  lipsrsealed
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by KarmaMod(f): 2:15pm On Aug 02, 2008
I just dont care for someone going on some retarded rant when he doesnt even know what he's talking about

who here had anything against the apology? To be honest I just think it's too late. Doesnt change the fact that the ones who never even experience that are still using that as an excuse for how they live even now.
Re: Us Officially Apologizes To Blacks by NegroNtns(m): 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2008
There are residuals. Transformations in tactics and strategy to keep black America forever marginalized. Right now a lot of things are kept underneath and supressed so as not to jettison Obama's chances for white house but honestly, top black political activists are deeply upset. Yes, Obama is by demographic definition, black american but in black american politics he is considered an outsider, a foreigner. That's one. The second one is Colin Powell. A big slap in the face! A concrete evidence of claims made by african american men in how the white men view them. True, Powell was a dissenter and he openly was opposed to Cheney and Rumsfeld, but so was George Tenet, so was Alan Greenspan. Why was Tenet and Greenspan not considered a bone in the neck but Powell was. J.C Watts, black republican representative from Oklahoma, Dennis Hastert and Newt Gingrich both felt his boldness to be discomforting to them. They railroaded him out of congress, forced the guy to resign in frustration.
The apology is only in language and as a matter of record, period! Nothing more than that, do not expect any material concessions to come from it, well, maybe to the african american women, but not to their male counterpart.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Israel Deploys Electronic Eye To Track Fire Balloons Kites From Gaza / Trump Puts Army On Four Hour Notice To Deploy To US Streets For First Time(Video / Japan Begs Russia Says It Won't Withdraw From Its Energy Projects With Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.