Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:31 AM

The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together (2274 Views)

The Only Thing Holding Nigeria Together Is OIL / Lets Build Our Country Nigeria Together With Peace. / Oil, The Glue That Keeps Nigeria Together, Will Deplete In 10 Years-uk Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by exu(m): 1:12pm On Sep 01, 2005
Just curious to see what, in your opinion, is the glue that holds Nigeria together, specifically the northern and southern regions? 

What do you think it is that holds Nigeria together?
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Seun(m): 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2005
Crude Oil is the most likely glue that holds Nigeria together.

2 Likes

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Seun(m): 2:41pm On Sep 02, 2005
No more comments?
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by exu(m): 8:40pm On Sep 02, 2005
i'm suprised as well...

i guess people just don't care about their country...
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Bilspop(m): 9:32pm On Sep 02, 2005
My people, it's [b]God [/b]that is still glueing the country together. Despite various crisis, we still remain. Omo, I think it's God handiwork. I care a lot about this country but I'm as helpless as most Nigerians are.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by hotangel2(f): 9:22am On Sep 03, 2005
I'm also gonna have to say it's God. And all those SOOOOO many churches in Lagos. All those churches that are like shops. At least they pray and shout God. It's all God.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by IAH(f): 1:26pm On Sep 03, 2005
The glue that holds Nigeria together is coming off.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by obong(m): 6:37pm On Sep 03, 2005
I would think its oil, but that doesnt make too much sense because without oil i think nigeria would be even closer. Oil, or the fight over oil, polarizes us. I think over time we have become used to each other, even though we may hate each other at times, like a bad marriage. And as they say, when you are married to someone, after awhile you guys start looking alike. I think nigeria and nigerians have created a culture within themselves, despite thier dislike of each other, and that keeps us together. there is a feeling that a broken nigeria will not reach the same heights as the unified nigeria.

Hopefully we get a government that looks at our commonalities and creates symbols and monuments to these values in our culture in order to help strengten the nation
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Angelgal(f): 11:32am On Sep 05, 2005
I think it's football that's keeping the country together, as trivial as it sounds. grin

You only need to be where Nigerians are watching a match between our players and another country, nobody remembers, religion or tribe..... wink
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by whiteshark(m): 1:25am On Sep 25, 2005
........Tis greed my people. The next man does not want to think of what he will loose if he breaks away from the other man. The man up north is thinking about the oil down south while the man in the east is thinking about the privilages he would get when he hooks up with the man in the west to take over the goverment in the central... And the beats goes on and on & on & on untill.......

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by hatch: 6:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
Nairaland grin
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Sunofgod(m): 7:05pm On Apr 04, 2010
Suya

shocked
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by ReachRich(m): 7:17pm On Apr 04, 2010
Sun of god:

Suya

shocked
Explain.
hatch#:

Nairaland grin
Guy u are notorious for digging up old threads.

1 Like

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by ziga: 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2010
I think its human nature. We don't like change.

When you have been used to a situation for long enough, it will take a lot to move you from that position.

Even when you are moving on to new/better things, your mind is still filled with doubts/fears.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by Ibime(m): 7:32pm On Apr 04, 2010
Seun:

Crude Oil is the most likely glue that holds Nigeria together. The Northern and South-Western elements of the country cannot seriously consider the possibility of breaking away from the South-Eartern and South-South simply because we cannot do without their oil. For this reason, any attempt by any region of the country to break away and take the south-south with them will not be treated with kid gloves at all. Without their oil, poverty is surely going to engulf the rest of the country!

So this is the sole reason for your ONE NIGERIA at all cost?

2 Likes

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by strangleyo: 7:36pm On Apr 04, 2010
20 poor republics, individually bullied by Russia, China and America?

Or 1 big poor republic, with at least some clout on the international stage.

I swear this whole breakup Nigeria thing is getting old. You think things will get better?

Will Sylva not steal? How about Ibory.

Want to see what southern Nigeria will look like alone, just see Guinea Bissau. Want to see what the North will look like, just see Chad.

Nigeria as one is better than all of them.

1 Like

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by CILondon: 10:13pm On Apr 04, 2010
Seun:

Crude Oil is the most likely glue that holds Nigeria together. The Northern and South-Western elements of the country cannot seriously consider the possibility of breaking away from the South-Eartern and South-South simply because we cannot do without their oil. For this reason, any attempt by any region of the country to break away and take the south-south with them will not be treated with kid gloves at all. Without their oil, poverty is surely going to engulf the rest of the country!

If it's not crude oil, then it must be cowardice. Nigerians like to talk tough but nobody wants to die! And you know what? This is a good thing, because human life is very precious, and once you lose it you can't get it back. There's no point in wasting lives breaking away from a democratic state when it is quite likely that the new state you'll be creating will be under military rule for an indefinite period of time. I (a yoruba) prefer a Hausa-headed democracy to a Yoruba dictatorship!

Seun, you are wrong - there is plenty of crude oil in Yoruba land. I am quite sure of it. You don't need our oil.
Anyway, why this Nigerian obsession with crude oil? What did Nigerians use to live on before crude oil was discovered in 1955 or whenever - and the economy was a lot better in those days according to my mother.
JAPAN AND SINGAPORE DO NOT HAVE A DROP OF CRUDE OIL IN THEIR COUNTRY - AND LOOK AT THEM TODAY! SINGAPORE GOT IT'S INDEPENDENCE FROM BRITAIN IN 1963 - THREE YRS AFTER NIGERIA AND YET IT HAS LEFT NIGERIA WAY BEHIND!

Crude Oil is the curse of Nigeria's development - because of it we have stopped looking for other ways to develop and advance our economy and that is why we are stagnating.

Do not forget that with the advent of Green economics, crude oil is rapidly losing its appeal with consumers and the demand for crude oil will diminish over the next 10/20 years as China and USA continue to develop alternative sources of green energy.
Where will that leave Nigeria and its precious crude oil then?

Over the last 40 years our government should have invested time and resources into developing Nigeria as a major manufacturing exporter and a major agricultural exporter as well as a robust service sector.
Instead they have wasted 40 years squabbling and fighting over oil. What a waste!

1 Like

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by CILondon: 10:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
CILondon:

Over the last 40 years our government should have invested time and resources into developing Nigeria as a major manufacturing exporter and a major agricultural exporter as well as a robust service sector.
Instead they have wasted 40 years squabbling and fighting over oil. What a waste!

The Biafrans wouldn't have done that.
If Biafra had suceeded, today "igbo made goods" would be on a par with Japanese goods.
Don't forget that when the Japanese started their manufacturing in the 195os and 60s, nobody wanted to buy their products. My mother tells me that people shunned their goods because they used to breakdown so easily - so much so that anything that broke down quickly was automatically referred to as "Fabrique eu Japan"
Now look at them.
That's exactly how it would have been for the Igbo made goods of Biafra - rubbish at first, but excellent in the end because a Biafran government would have been willing to devote the resources, research and development into making Biafran made goods the best.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by crisngige(m): 9:46am On Apr 05, 2010
For the middle class, Nairaland. For everybody, the Super Eagles, and oil.
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by PhysicsQED(m): 9:37pm On Aug 08, 2010
Northern domination holds Nigeria together. Collusion between corrupt political elite of other areas of Nigeria with Northerners is also a big factor. Nothing else is of any relevance.

And all you idiots (CILondon) yapping about Biafra but then talking about "Igbo made" goods are the very reason Biafra failed. The very resource that would have empowered Biafra to be able to develop on a national (not local) level would have been Niger Delta oil (from areas that are largely non-Igbo), and not a diversified economy. Even when the the Eastern region premier was developing their agricultural sector in the 60s it wasn't mechanized farming or even enough to contribute massively to Nigeria's exports/economy.

All that would have happened is that you would have held minority peoples in the land from which the oil is obtained subservient to your own interests, hypocritically claiming that you fought to liberate the Eastern region but then with the other corner of your mouth talking as if it were an Igbo country, and talking about Igbo this and Igbo that to the detriment of the existence of the non-Igbos in Biafra. As the Igbo parts of Biafra would have industrialized and received more government attention, another Isaac Boro would rise up, but even angrier and with a greater feeling of marginalization, wondering why they even have to contribute to the development of a government controlled by another group of people who talk as if their ethnic group owns the country and as if no other group exists.

And I'm a non-Niger Delta minority, just giving a heads up on how the minorities in Nigeria really feel about all this Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa babble.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by marcus1234: 9:38pm On Aug 08, 2010
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by becomrich3: 9:48pm On Aug 08, 2010
Oil is the glue that hold nigeria together, not love. If the oil finished like we have been drilling for 40 now. All the platform are become vacate, and the many story of Oil in abia and Imo state, na lies.
That glue is about to be broken.   How can you drill for 40 years and still think the oil would still be there.

share the oil

Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by ikeyman00(m): 10:02pm On Aug 08, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

[size=23pt]
uselessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and non-sense thread[/size]

becomerich

go to hospital
Re: The Glue That Holds Nigeria Together by tck2000(m): 3:24pm On Jun 28, 2019
Bilspop:
My people, it's [b]God [/b]that is still glueing the country together. Despite various crisis, we still remain. Omo, I think it's God handiwork. I care a lot about this country but I'm as helpless as most Nigerians are.
True

(1) (Reply)

Segun Oni's Misplaced Priority - One Child One Laptop In Ekiti State! / Nigeria Has Symptoms Of Spiritual Problem — Muoka / Jonathan Commits 1st Breach Of The Constitution With Aganga's Appointment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.