Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,155 members, 7,811,316 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value (17508 Views)

Contacts Of Nollywood Cast(actors/actresses) And Crew / BOLLYWOOD Actors, Actresses And Movies (Pics) / Most Annoying Nigerian Actors/Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by safarigirl(f): 4:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
There are the cinema actors who only act cinema-bound movies, not home videos. These guys make up the New Nollywood, names like Nse Ikpe-Etim, Omoni Oboli, O.C Ukeje, Damilola Adegbite, Belinda Effah(she was 'SIMI in Tales of Eve), Joseph Benjamin, Alex Ekubo, Bryan Okwara, Beverly Nayah, Chris Attoh. If stingy Nigerians bother to watch these guys, they'll find top notch movies, note that none of them has more than 10 movies to their names. The old soldiers like Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola, Stephanie Okereke, Rita Dominic, Uche Jumbo, Ramsey Noah, Jim Iyke, Michael Majid, Ini Edo and Desmond Elliot have joined this elite crew just so you don't miss them, Ramsey for instance has only been in about 4 movies the past 3 years. Nollywood is changing.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Rawpidgin(m): 4:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
the problem is not just with the producers or the actor, we the fans are the mjor problem.
how many nigerian will purchase a movie that featured only unknown stars?nobody!(no matter how great the story line & production quality are) we always want to see established stars in every movie forgetting seeing one particular actor in every movie will make u get tired of the actor
the problem with producers is no one want to base his faith on an up & coming actor they all go 4 already established ones so as to sell their movie forgetting that kids like harry potter was a nobody wen he was giving a leading role in that movie

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by amehid(m): 4:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
@op,americans make movies with budgets ranging from $1 mil to $258 mil,so you cant compare those films to nolly wood home videos.it about quAlity and not quantity.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by hisawesomeness(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
Even barney and friends better pass nollywood

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
Slickest: As a consistent viewer of both Nolly and Hollywood works(ignoring Bollywood), it saddens my heart when I hear or see our own Nigerian stars surrounded by their own fans and not celebrated like their Holly counterparts, recently I heard our very own Jim Iyke visited an African country and he was well welcomed, I was happy until I saw a comment from someone who said we do not see what others see in our own. I felt it is something normal not to value something belonging to you since you see it everyday, that triggered my thought to view more widely why we do not value our very own, it is not the viewers/fans fault that they just walk by when told a star is around, it is not their fault that they insult other people who causes stampede just to see a nigerian star. What formerly puzzles me was why hollywood actors/actresses are still celebrated till date by their fans even when they live with them, some even go as far as fainting when they are seen, some keep their autographs as souvenirs in their homes to show they've met with the stars *i don't imagine a nigerian fighting for an autograph and keeping it*.

It seized to be a puzzle when I went on research to view "the world's own Arnold Schwarzenegger's" career as an actor, first I gave preference to him for belonging to hollywood, but it dawned on me when I realised that the 66year old actor had featured in just 42 films in his career *including voice over in Dr.Dolittle as the white wolf*, I tried not to believe it but it amounted to 40 *would be 42 in 2014 when sabotage and expendables3 are completed*, he became so popular around the world with just 40 movies, his consistency in unforgettable movies made him an actor to always watch out for, same as Jean claude Vandamme, Tom Hanks, Sandra bullock, Leonardo Dicaprio, Rowan atkinson(Mr Bean), kate Winslet, Dolph Lungreen, Danzel Washington, Will smith, Martin Lawrence, Tom cruise, Samuel L. Jackson, Mira Sovino, etc none of these actors/ actresses has featured in a hundred movies, with most of them starting their careers in the 70s and 80s. These people are not always on t.v but when they are...they draw enough crowd because they obey the law of diminishing returns which states that in all productive processes, adding more of one factor of production will at one point yield lower per unit returns, let me break it down in the view of my topic, *whats the beauty of a star in daylight?*. A fan will definitely attach less value(that's the returns) to a star when he keeps seeing him/her on every channel tuned to and every new movie.

Baba Suwe used to be the funniest man on t.v until when he was no longer special, it was a normal thing to see him in different yoruba movies, mr.Latin came along and same was his fate, Osofia came nd just disappeared, now sanyeri is on fire and he is already boasting of over 200 movies. I watched an episode of who deserves to be a millionaire on Nta once and Jide Kosoko was the person to answer for the contestant, a question was thrown at him by Frank on a movie produced by him, the question demanded the year he produced the movie but our dear Jide kosoko out of over production and lack of record keeping got the answer wrong. Then came one of my favourite in the yoruba movie industry Odun Adekola who now annoys me whenever I see him in a movie, he possess the same attitude in what ever character he plays, he also boasted in an interview that he has featured in over 300 films and he produced over 80, I was so stunned but that's how the story goes, same as the likes of Saint Obi back then in the mid and late 90s who came and disappeared from the scene, I think being over consistent in movies is one factor that makes them loose their values in the eyes of their fans.

Finally, I shook my head to my insinuation that fans get tired of all Nollywood acts/works, I thought more on those that still thrill me when I see them on tv or see their works, the likes of Ramsey Noah Jnr, Omotola Jalade, Alex Osifo, Pete Edochie, Lere Paimo, Peter Fatomilola, kunle Afolayan, Kola Oyewo, Genevieve Nnaji, Liz Benson, Reginna Askia...all these stars gave acting a break so we don't get tired of them,it might be for other reasons but I'll still love to see Liz Benson in a film, same as Reginna even if she's 46, another film maker that thrills me every time is Tunde kelani of Mainframe productions, that man is a master at mater piece, classic story lines, he has 17 movies to his name.
Like we say in Nigeria, "too much of everything is not good..."Producing movies and over appearance should be in normality because excess kills its value, over 100 movies are being released in a month in nigeria while Hollywood releases 15 movies a month, why won't the actors/actresses put in their bests since there are few movies to star in and a whole lot of money to be made, without derailing from the main topic I think if there's a tab on the amount of movies produced we the fans would celebrate our stars more than we do now and it would even help in curbing the menace "Piracy".

Slickest...

you are very much on point. i stopped watching crappy Nigerian home videos a long time ago. i admire people like Omoni Oboli who has decided to stick to intertional standards. She may not be making as much as the INi Edos but she is to me a better actress.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by yuzedo: 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
Brethren you lie not! Okey Igwe (Ahanna) acted in only one movie (Rattlesnake), and it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to forget him! Oh God, Isi-Kotebu, if you read this, I am ready to turn gay for you! I love you, Agwo nwa-mama!! ♡♥ cry embarassed cry

Over-exposure is counter-productive in most cases, even (surprisingly) in many commercial branding scenarios. If we take literature for example, the most impactful historical and contemporary statements have always been laconic in nature.. Less is more.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by oluking: 4:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
fuckfuckman: [size=24pt]Abeg I wan phoc ladies only email me before I die of conji[/size] grin

You don lost before dem born you angry
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by zicjoe(m): 5:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
amehid: @op,americans make movies with budgets ranging from $1 mil to $258 mil,so you cant compare those films to nolly wood home videos.it about quAlity and not quantity.
on point bro. They rush in making their poor structured home vids.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Lilimax(f): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
I don't watch home videos sad
No thanks
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by chuose: 5:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
My only wahala be say just as many Actors for Hollywood dey illuminati, our own people don dey join Illuminati too.

I don dey suspect Tonte Dike for some time, now some blog don capture fact say the useless of a woman dey Illuminati true true.

This shows she is undeniable a member of the satan worshiping Illuminati embarassed

NOTE: the link is below has her name removed. add her name to see the link.
The remove parts in red

http://emperorundertheking..co.uk/2013/12/tonto-dikeh-illuminati-member-has-satan.html

Why are people no go copy better thing?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by IAMBREEZY: 5:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
I don't watch nollywood movies.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by omajali2003(m): 5:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
It is more of a Nigerian problem. We never celebrate anything from Nigeria. Too much hate, envy, and that dirty feeling of "I can do it better if I was the one". A friend of mine was busy criticizing Chimamanda that she's not really special but just had opportunity, but Americans are busy giving her awards. Some of us may never know our worth until we leave this country

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by sarzwizard(m): 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
make we value them abi there done turn to money?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by free2ryhme: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
Me faint foR nigeRian artiste? Tufiakwa!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by victorazy(m): 5:51pm On Dec 18, 2013
Csami: Yep u got some right but not all. It is not about numbers but the quality of what they produce. Hollywood take their sweet time putting everything in place just to give the audience a perfect view for their money but what we get from nollywood are movies that lacks quality, even to make person disappear na war. Nollywood still has a long way to go.

grin grin grin Wily-wily no disapear?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Gbaskybabe(f): 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Nollyhood stars are not creative.they are just there,so whats there to celebrate
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by shurlar50(m): 6:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
#solution;
They should start producing TV series. Make I see WHO wan boast den
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by FozzieBear(m): 6:26pm On Dec 18, 2013
Finally! Some fine analogy of our very own Nollywood. Nollywood has some deep rooted issues of which one of them is wat the op posted above. Producers churn out hundreds of low quality movies in a month just because they want to make profits. Our movie storylines are wack and annoying. We either do a spoof on a popular western movie or we just bring out an incredibly ridiculous story. Another issue that keeps pegging Nollywood back is that our actors CAN'T ACT. Must you shout in a movie when saying your lines? Most of our actors/actresses just think acting is about shouting and making overly exaggerated expressions. Character development is poor. Actors don't take out time to really embed themselves in their characters and make those characters their own. Cinematography, editing, lighting and sound, all very poor. But in the midst of these, there are still some shining lights in the industry. People on whom the fate of Nollywood somewhat rests. Actors like Ramsey Nouah, Olu Jacobs, Genevieve Nnaji, Nse Ikpe Etim, O.C Ukeje, etc continue to deliver riveting performances in the midst of underdeveloped scripts and poor production circumstances. Producers like Tunde Kelani, Jeta Amata, etc have also carved a niche for themselves in bringing out top quality movies. Another bane of the industry is inadequate financing. The difference is clear for all to see in movies such as 'Last Flight to Abuja' and 'Phone Swap' that were sponsored by a Bank and Telecommunications giant respectively. One only hopes that the recent grant given by the federal government to the industry is spared by our ever endemic corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by FlyTee(m): 7:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
i think d problem is the pay, in hollywood they are paid millions of dollars for a single movie, in nollywood they get peanuts, hence d actors need to act in several movies to make d big bucks.... we celebrate mediocrity in Nigeria tho, attention is paid to details in hollywood
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by IYANGBALI: 7:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sermwell: Pls wat is nollywood?
its a new kind of chocolates in the market,very bitter but its medicinal
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Slickest(m): 8:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
Rawpidgin: the problem is not just with the producers or the actor, we the fans are the mjor problem.
how many nigerian will purchase a movie that featured only unknown stars?nobody!(no matter how great the story line & production quality are) we always want to see established stars in every movie forgetting seeing one particular actor in every movie will make u get tired of the actor
the problem with producers is no one want to base his faith on an up & coming actor they all go 4 already established ones so as to sell their movie forgetting that kids like harry potter was a nobody wen he was giving a leading role in that movie
Bro I get u but I don't agree with u, the viewers are not to blame for their mediocrity, if they produce quality movies who cares who the star is, nigerians love good movies, I have been to the cinemas countless times and I have seen nigerians pay any amount to get entertained, who knew the star in incredible hulk, as a nija viewer the theme is "Let's get entertained" not hiss at the end of a movie...quality mattaz alot
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by optimism91(m): 8:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
They don't value their fans here. So, what do expect of there fans (if they have any).
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Originalsly: 8:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
Here we go again....how can Arnold be a big celebrity with only 40 movies and our own actors have more than 200 and they are not? That's the problem with Nollywood...quantity over quality. Arnold became superstar thanks to Terminator...an excellent movie and how convincing he played the lead role. Samuel Jackson I guess appeared in at least 100 movies and is a celebrity...again...not because of the number of movies. Hollywood=movies...professional. Nollywood=films...amateur. We should stop comparing the two. The cream of Nollywood films are the few real celebrities...celebrated far more abroad because of their talent and choice of films...quality over quantity.I think the biggest celebrity abroad is Genevieve ....but...locally too many try as they may...can never see why she should be.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by chiefbatiatus(m): 9:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
In america acting is a very professional career, u dont go into acting there because u couldnt get a job. And actors there are very real with respect to the roles they act. Have you read about the IQ of kate winslet? Which got her the role in the movie 'THE READER?`. Are u aware that hugh jackman has been at the gym for 1yr now preparing for the next installment of x-men? So u see these guys become so good at the preparation they wow the audience. So over there the actors are good both on screen and on ground. Here its the opposite, a gunman on screen is obviously not an gunman. A secondary sch student role often times is acted by over 40yrs old actors. Dont ever compare hollywood actors with these ones here abeg

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by elari(m): 9:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bright_id: finally finally......I be MuMu FTC,it Wasn't easy!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Soulcaine(m): 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2013
@OP liz Benson did a new movie this year called "LIVING FUNERAL" it was nominated for some awards. Check it out !!!
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Swiftboy(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2013
Thats true!the same can be said about the music industry! One style everytime by the same artiste every week they always release new songs.
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by Teymanhenry(f): 8:09am On Dec 19, 2013
we need nolwood movies and not dramas... how many Nigerians actors work on their bodies? young actors with pot bellies lol I better watch JASON STATHAM and get entertained
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by chimzy2u: 10:34am On Dec 19, 2013
Raymondfayowole: Noted

Wat is this one noting, u be film producer? Abi u be marketer for 51 iweka road onitsha?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by chuose: 3:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
Teyman henry: we need nolwood movies and not dramas... how many Nigerians actors work on their bodies? young actors with pot bellies lol I better watch JASON STATHAM and get entertained

Hmmm u be batty boy?
Re: Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value by OmoUSH(m): 3:23pm On Dec 21, 2013
HOW MANY TIMES WILL I SAY THAT THAT ALMIGHTY OF A CRAP CALLED NOLLYWOOD BE BANNED, TO ME O, APART FROM THE WRITERS OR MAYBE FOOTBALLERS, THERE IS NOTHING CALLED CELEBRITY IN THIS COUNTRY. RUBBISHES!
NONE OF THEM IS A CELEBRITY. THOSE AMERICANS ARE THE REAL DEFINITION OF SUPER CELERITY, GLOBALLY

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cinemas Before Markets, Kannywood's Latest Strategy. (photos) / BBN All Stars Housemate, Ilebaye, Issued A Double Strike / DOWNLOAD MOVIE: Black Adam (2022)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.