Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? (14724 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / Samuel Eto'o Shows Off His New Car Worth Millions Of Dollars - Bugatti Veyron / Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
Why would someone use 3.5 million naira to buy a used car, it varies some 2 million naira and higher just because you want to use EOD or baby boy/jeep. I'm not really into car but if have got the kind of fund let's say 2.5 million.

I would rather go to a car company and settle for the one that suits the cost. Let's say picanto, kia, toyota, bmw at the range. There should be brand new cars that are sold within those ranges.

As long as its a car and it serves my purpose. I think its a good deal.

They would also be warranty from the company and 1 year service at no cost.

I believe on the long term, you will enjoy driving a new car, would save you cost and maintenance unlike the used ones.

I think most people just want to feel superior using a big car in the name of posing as a big guy/madam.

So folks can you tell us why you prefer a used car alias tokunbo than a brand new car?

Or people are not informed?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Eyop: 7:52pm On Dec 17, 2013
You are entitled to your own opinion. My choice of car(Mercedes Benz C,E or CLS model) for a brand new one cost a lot of money for a brand new one so why will i spend so much to buy that when i can pre-order a used one with a very low mileage at half the price of a new one and use the balance for something more productive. Remember vehicles are liability and doesn't worth paying so much on because immediately it's out of the factory or dealership,depreciation commences immediately.

To me a Used European vehicle is better than a brand new Korea,india or china vehicle because of so many factors. So except i have the money to buy a brand new car of my choice,i will make do with a certified used one rather than buying something that doesn't give me the pleasure and comfort that i deserve.

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Ikenna351(m): 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
faakay: Why would someone use 3.5 million naira to buy a used car, it varies some 2 million naira and higher just because you want to use EOD or baby boy/jeep. I'm not really into car but if have got the kind of fund let's say 2.5 million.

I would rather go to a car company and settle for the one that suits the cost. Let's say picanto , kia, toyota, bmw at the range. There should be brand new cars that are sold within those ranges.

I believe on the long term, you will enjoy driving a new car, would save you cost and maintenance unlike the used ones.

I think most people just want to feel superior using a big car in the name of posing as a big guy/madam.

So folks can you tell us why you prefer a used car alias tokunbo than a brand new car?

You are obviously not a car person. The bolded above confirmed what you are with cars. Because for you to put it "Car na Car", has defined you already. But there is nothing wrong with that, though

Is like asking why would the late Paul Walker own a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT. How old a car is doesnt matter to a petrolhead. What matters to him/her is the character the car posseses that put smile on his/her face whenever he/she is behind the wheel, which that your Picanto lacks.

Notwithstanding, you were right in your observation. Because about 90% of Nigerians care so much about fuel efficient cars. Majority, if not 95%, are after point A - point B mobility. So it would make a lot of sense for such individuals to buy those cheap new cars with less underpowered powertrains that will consume less, than buy those big used ones, which they would come back and start complaining how those cars are gas guzzlers. So, you have a point.

But to ask "why would someone buy a used car when the amount can afford him a new car" is offtopic, sort of. If this were a full time Car forum i would say you are in a wrong web site. But then, you are in Nairaland. So, it's understandable.

Ikenna

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by abatically(m): 10:16pm On Dec 17, 2013
First of all, not only Nigerians buy used cars. People in developed countries like the USA, UK, Germany, Canada, etc all buy used cars. As a matter of fact, I would say Nigerians even buy new cars than other developed countries. You will ask me why I say so. Reason is we make full payment for our cars and even pay more than those white folks. For Naija its cash and carry, while in developed countries, about 70% of new cars are on loan payment. How many banks give car loan in Nigeria?

Now op back to ur Kia. Lets say u get ur 2013 new Kia Rio for 2.5million. Yes there is nothing like driving a new car, but with that money I can buy a very clean title low mileage 2008 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. You have better fuel mpg than me no doubt , but do u derive joy in driving that car? How strong are ur suspension. What about safety features and other fun stuff. Well all that might not matter to u because u said car na car. To some people there is more to a car than just mpg and moving from point A to point B. Even though my car is older than urs, its still more advanced than ur new Kia. After 5 years of usage, compare the 2 cars, mine will still be stronger while urs would have worn out. I have more space , more power, more speed, stability etc. And when i decide I am bored with it, I am still going to get more value for money than ur new Kia rio or picanto. So.. if I don't have enough money to buy the latest model of the car I like, I can buy an older model at a cheaper price rather than buy what I don't like just because its brand new.

If I want fuel economy close to what ur Kia rio or picanto gets, the 2.5M will still get me a very clean 2010 toyota corolla and trust me, it will dust ur brand new kia in every aspect. Come back after 5 years My corolla will still be going strong while ur Kia would have worth not more than 400k

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 18, 2013
OK well said.

Everybody with individual taste

as for me if have got 2.5 - 3.5 million.

I would rather settle for a brand new toyota camry or peagueot instead of buying one mussle or jeep
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by abatically(m): 11:27am On Dec 18, 2013
faakay: OK well said.

I would rather settle for a brand new toyota camry or peagueot instead of buying one mussle or jeep

3.5 million will not get u a brand new Toyota camry. U might get a new entry level corolla with that though
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Eyop: 11:31am On Dec 18, 2013
abatically:

3.5 million will not get u a brand new Toyota camry. U might get a new entry level corolla with that though

I doubt if it can even get him a Toyota Yaris

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Ikenna351(m): 11:52am On Dec 18, 2013

2.950 -3.5 million naira will get you brand new Peugeot 301 Access, Active or Allure (both Auto and Manual Transmissions). Find it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLjZn5wt6xI

Ikenna
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

2.950 -3.5 million naira will get you brand new Peugeot 301 Access, Active or Allure (both Auto and Manual Transmissions). Find it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLjZn5wt6xI

Ikenna

The car is okay. http://www.peugeot301.org/
I just checked it out.

abatically:

are you telling me I can't get a brand new toyota camry for 3.5 million naira? I can't believe that.

Car companies have got various series of brand so I should be a able to get a car either camry, corolla, peaguoet, benz, bmw etc for that amount even at lesser price
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by chucky234(m): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
When buying a car aside the luxury,maintenance and durability resale value is paramount.
I'll rather spend N4.5m to get a clean used Toyota Venza than spending N3.5m to buy a Kia Sorento,I'll sure recoup 80% of what I spend in buying the Venza on resale.
A friend of mine bought a brand new 2004 Honda accord,drove it for 7 years and put it up for sale in 2011 at N2m, no one was ready to pay beyond N1m.
He was forced to sell it off for N1m after 6 months, while another friend who bought the same model at N1.5m in 2010 sold it this year for N950,000.
The former has since bought used 2008 honda accord and he is enjoying it, there is no point spending so much on you'll use for just few years as there will always be newer versions that'll tempt you to prompt you to sell the present one to get a newer version.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Eyop: 12:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay:

I just checked it out.

are you telling me I can't get a brand new toyota camry for 3.5 million naira? I can't believe that.

Car companies have got various series of brand so I should be a able to get a car either camry, corolla, peaguoet, benz, bmw etc for that amount even at lesser price

You can contact Toyota dealership in Nigeria to confirm the price of a brand new Toyota camry. Even the new corolla sells for over #4million naira now depending on the trim.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by chucky234(m): 12:17pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay:

I just checked it out.

You can get brand new of a 97 camry(orobo) or 98 corolla for N3.5m thats if you can still find the brand new in dealershops, my question why buy spend N3.5m to such outdated cars when you can get 2005 avalon or 2007 camry for less.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by abatically(m): 2:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay:

I just checked it out.

U can't get a Camry for that price, even newer corollas start at 4m. With ur budget u can still get a Toyota yaris, Peugeot 301 etc which are in the same class as kia Rio . yes car manufacturers have different models of cars. The way a corolla drives is different from the way a Camry does. They might carry the same name, but different personality. Same goes with other brands.

Also, 3.5 million WILL NOT get a brand new BMW or Benz of any class (I stand to be corrected) unless u are talking about motorcycle. A brand new 2013 model BMW 128i still cost about $29,000 which is about 4.5 million. When u add shipping and duties u will end up paging about 7 million or so.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
abatically:

U can't get a Camry for that price, even newer corollas start at 4m. With ur budget u can still get a Toyota yaris, Peugeot 301 etc which are in the same class as kia Rio . yes car manufacturers have different models of cars. The way a corolla drives is different from the way a Camry does. They might carry the same name, but different personality. Same goes with other brands.

Also, 3.5 million WILL NOT get a brand new BMW or Benz of any class (I stand to be corrected) unless u are talking about motorcycle. A brand new 2013 model BMW 128i still cost about $29,000 which is about 4.5 million. When u add shipping and duties u will end up paging about 7 million or so.

This will solve my problem!

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/#!/Welcome I just checked out this site and I like the white one and it's classical cool

I don't care what people think about class because the defination of class to me is different the way some people view it.

People need to live according to their budget! You don't necessary need to buy an expensive car before you can start driving.

The brand new car should last atleast 2 - 5 years I'm right? You would always want to change cars as new one evolves because it's normal.

Like I said I would always prefer a brand new car rather than a used one except when the funds is not available where I can only settle for less ranging from 700k - 1 million naira.

But if I have got 3.5 million? I will never buy a used car!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by RipVanWink: 2:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
The original poster isn't a car person/is not knowledgeable about cars..guess it's the likes of him that advised gej on that rubbish increase in toks car tarrif

Sadly most nigerian s are like that.i remember when i bought my toks 5yr old car.cos it was so clean.many people were asking me if I just bought it brand new !!!....lol

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 18, 2013
RipVanWink: The original poster isn't a car person/is not knowledgeable about cars..guess it's the likes of him that advised gej on that rubbish increase in toks car tarrif

I will never advise such when provisions of car manufacturers are not yet available

RipVanWink: Sadly most nigerian s are like that.i remember when i bought my toks 5yr old car.cos it was so clean.many people were asking me if I just bought it brand new !!!....lol

that's what I'm trying to point out.. someone who buy a car worth 4-10 million naira...i mean used car
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by packman: 3:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
[size=20pt]ooooooooooo God

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE LOVE

ASKING STUPID QUESTION.....

NO BE WATING YOUR MONEY REACH YOU GO BUY

ABEG GUY BETTER PARK WELL

IF I SEE MONEY BUY NEW ONE I WOULD BUY

RUBBISH...............[/size]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by kekakuz(m): 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
dont know
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Otunbab: 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
They believe brand new is more expensive.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by devigblegble: 3:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
That's what the average Nigerian could afford lobatan
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Because they are cheaper than when they are Being sold new...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by moscobabs(m): 3:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
because money no dey ...and everybody wan show him/hersef to threaten the his/her neighbors or collegues
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by jpphilips(m): 3:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay: Why would someone use 3.5 million naira to buy a used car, it varies some 2 million naira and higher just because you want to use EOD or baby boy/jeep. I'm not really into car but if have got the kind of fund let's say 2.5 million.

I would rather go to a car company and settle for the one that suits the cost. Let's say picanto, kia, toyota, bmw at the range. There should be brand new cars that are sold within those ranges.

When you grow up, you will understand, that ish is way beyond your pay grade

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by ujahboy(m): 3:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
Because we re meet to believe there re stronger..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Hadeyeancah(m): 3:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
One man's meat is anoda man's poison
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by clnzo: 3:35pm On Dec 18, 2013
Useless question! Mtchewwwww!! *Sighs n walks out*
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by mazizitonene(m): 3:38pm On Dec 18, 2013
Poverty
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by jpphilips(m): 3:38pm On Dec 18, 2013

Forgive my post above, this comment is enough to ignore you for life, like i said, when you grow up, you will understand, seeing your father buy cars is not enough to make car decisions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by frainc(m): 3:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
very simple,
larger percent of nigeria cannot afford new car,

mind you,
its not only car o, mobile phone, wears and home applicable

na naija condition o

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Oluschenco(m): 3:45pm On Dec 18, 2013
Because our roads are fairly constructed, that's why we prefer used cars.
Only thieves knows the footpaths of fellow thieves.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by RockMaxi: 3:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
Why blame us when there is no refinancing in our economy, how will you tell an average Nigerian to use all his 5M just on car while he can get a better deal on fairly used.

Even the new one is already half the price after purchased... grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hyundai Motors Unveils The New 2019 Santa Fe / Woman, 25, Crushed To Death By LAWMA Refuse Truck / Ford Mustang 5.0 GT Vs Dodge Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi - Who's Your Winner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.