Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? (14735 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / Samuel Eto'o Shows Off His New Car Worth Millions Of Dollars - Bugatti Veyron / Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by lonelydora: 3:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
I would rather drive a tokunbo german/Japaness machine(not car) than a new korean/Chinese car.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by EveryLadY(f): 3:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
the responses so far goes a long way in showing the bunch of Nigerian mentality towards 2nd hand goods. Why is our country a dumping ground for mechanical /electronic and textile waste? simply because we do not have any more value for our dignity. Our new born babies are welcome to the world with 2nd hand clothes and some people tell me it lasts longer. what a thinf? Am an anti second hand wear of all type,be it car/cloth/electronics.... we can reshape our future with a change of our mind set.am sure some other Ngerians share same sentiment, no matter how small the percentage it must surely increase.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by mitey(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2013
I don't see why I should buy a 3rd rate Asian car for 3.5m where there are clean used premium German brands. A car with less than 50,000 miles is as good as new for half the price and the same class. The handling and class of a BMW 530i of 3.5m more than makes up for the shabbiness of a brand new Kia Cerato. And I automatically have more class.

Financially, it makes sense too. Consider the fact that by February, March of next year, you will be able to get a used 2014 Camry. What's the point of buying a brand new one now, when you can get the same car with around 10,000 miles for about half the price?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 18, 2013
jp philips:

Forgive my post above, this comment is enough to ignore you for life, like i said, when you grow up, you will understand, seeing your father buy cars is not enough to make car decisions.
Who is this ill-mannered donkey?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by DocAdray(f): 3:57pm On Dec 18, 2013
Because its cheaper... & thought to be more durable!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Andrew3(m): 4:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
hmmm
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
but do you know all know the risk of buying a used car at higher cost? when accident occurs or stolen? who will be responsible for the damages?

that means you will need to bear the cost because there's no warranty/insurance

but if you buy a brand new car, the company will ensure they service the car every month at no cost free of charge which will reduce cost of maintenance compared to used car.

there will also be warranty/insurance incase there's any accidental occurrence within a stipulated time given to you unlike the used ones.

jp philips:

Forgive my post above, this comment is enough to ignore you for life, like i said, when you grow up, you will understand, seeing your father buy cars is not enough to make car decisions.

you don't need to vent your frustration here because of your foolishness

this is a thread for open discussion and everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Every_LadY: the responses so far goes a long way in showing the bunch of Nigerian mentality towards 2nd hand goods. Why is our country a dumping ground for mechanical /electronic and textile waste? simply because we do not have any more value for our dignity. Our new born babies are welcome to the world with 2nd hand clothes and some people tell me it lasts longer. what a thinf? Am an anti second hand wear of all type,be it car/cloth/electronics.... we can reshape our future with a change of our mind set.am sure some other Ngerians share same sentiment, no matter how small the percentage it must surely increase.

lool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by InvertedHammer: 4:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
It does not make sense to buy a new car for the following reasons:

1. They usually haven't worked out the bugs yet. There are still high chances of recall for one thing or the other.

2. In developed economies, a new car loses about 20% of its values as soon as you drive it off the lot.
Hypothetically speaking, if you buy a car for $20,000, the most you can get back from it if you intend to trade it
in after owning it for 1 day is $16,000. Once you drive that car after one day, it becomes a "Used car". grin

3. It breaks my heart to buy a car for $80,000 and only one trip to the East will knock couple of years out of the
car. Which road you wan drive?

4. Because it is new does not mean it is more reliable.

5. Most "New Car" salespeople I know drive used cars.

5. And many more reasons!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by GentleFrank(m): 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
Good !
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by IAMBREEZY: 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
I prefer a brand new car than tokunbo.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Eyop: 4:20pm On Dec 18, 2013
Every_LadY: the responses so far goes a long way in showing the bunch of Nigerian mentality towards 2nd hand goods. Why is our country a dumping ground for mechanical /electronic and textile waste? simply because we do not have any more value for our dignity. Our new born babies are welcome to the world with 2nd hand clothes and some people tell me it lasts longer. what a thinf? Am an anti second hand wear of all type,be it car/cloth/electronics.... we can reshape our future with a change of our mind set.am sure some other Ngerians share same sentiment, no matter how small the percentage it must surely increase.

what exactly do you mean by bunch of Nigerian mentality? Our country is a dumping ground for such because we don't have standard in this country and even the so call SON is not working and as such some brand new products cannot be guaranteed and some Nigerians like myself will prefer durability and save cost for something else. We are discussing about used cars here and not generalising second hand stuffs and you won't tell me that you haven't used a second hand cloth before in your life and even if you were fortunate not to use one,there will be someone in your lineage that has used them. Some of the used clothes you also mentioned are far better than the nonsense imported from India,China,thailand etc.

Am afraid you know little or nothing about cars that's why you commented this way and as such anything in nylon or carton is good for you so far it's tagged "brand new" all in the name of driving a brand new car. Do you think most people buying used cars in Nigeria doesn't have the money to buy a brand new Korean or Indian cars but they refuse to do so. How many of the brand new korean cars can survive the Nigerian roads with a very fragile suspension,shock absorbers and other mechanical components? If your choice is to continue to drive brand new korean cars,good and fine for you but don't generalise your comments.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay: Why would someone use 3.5 million naira to buy a used car, it varies some 2 million naira and higher just because you want to use EOD or baby boy/jeep. I'm not really into car but if have got the kind of fund let's say 2.5 million.

I would rather go to a car company and settle for the one that suits the cost. Let's say picanto, kia, toyota, bmw at the range. There should be brand new cars that are sold within those ranges.

As long as its a car and it serves my purpose. I think its a good deal.

They would also be warranty from the company and 1 year service at no cost.

I believe on the long term, you will enjoy driving a new car, would save you cost and maintenance unlike the used ones.

I think most people just want to feel superior using a big car in the name of posing as a big guy/madam.

So folks can you tell us why you prefer a used car alias tokunbo than a brand new car?

Or people are not informed?

have you driven a picanto past a moving trailer or a heavy duty vehicle moving in the opposite direction before?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
rigormortis:

have you driven a picanto past a moving trailer or a heavy duty vehicle moving in the opposite direction before?

lool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by compyla: 4:46pm On Dec 18, 2013
When you buy a new car, immediately, it becomes used. So, whats the difference?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by voltront: 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place. a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
voltront: Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. [b]Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE

On point!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by piagetskinner(m): 4:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
faakay:

The car is okay. http://www.peugeot301.org/
I just checked it out.

are you telling me I can't get a brand new toyota camry for 3.5 million naira? I can't believe that.

Car companies have got various series of brand so I should be a able to get a car either camry, corolla, peaguoet, benz, bmw etc for that amount even at lesser price
I beg differ on that....there's no way u can get brands of bmw,benz,camry, even with the least of options at 3.5mill talk less of an amount lesser than that.for a corolla u might be able to get a 2009 model for that price;1.8lit engine,cloth upholstery,and a manual gear shift....but where's the fun in buyin a ride that isn't well equipped with a lot of stuff...there's more to cars than just being a source of mobility
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Eyop: 5:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
voltront: Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place. a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE!

You allowed mechanic to use you chop. May be the used car you bought has a salvage history and as such not certified used car with a low mileage. To you a brand new Kia Rio is better than a used Camry but to another it is not. A lot of people that complain about problems associated with used cars is most times traced to buying a salvage titled vehicle or having a bad mechanic. But if you buy a certified used car with low mileage,it will just be a regular service done on it because most of those cars were traded in for a new one and sometimes not even up to 1 year old.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by GoodcasHMan: 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2013
I beg na dia salary dem take buy am? na awuf money now
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by Omila007: 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2013

Mii Lady
Firstly used products are used everywhere in the world make no mistakes about it. It has nothing to do with the mentality, be it cars gadget or anything.
Secondly most news things are financed in the developed world from gadgets, cars, homes and etc.
If you will agree with me that financing is yet to be rooted in our system as a nation then you will understand why used things sell more.
If you doubt this please go online to e-commerce websites like ebay, amazon, kijiji etc., you will see the amount of used products sold there everyday both locally and internationally.
Cars like 1998 Toyota camry still remains a very high demand car even in the u.s, they only spice it up with the type of expense chrome rims they put on it, which most times comes more expensive then the car itself.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by joinnow: 6:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
Toyota Cars Prices
Here are the prices for Toyota vehicles as published by Globe motors:
•Toyota Land Cruiser SUV – N8,000,000
•Toyota Prado SUV – N7.1 million
•Toyota Corolla – N2.36 million
•Toyota Camry – N5.88 million
•Toyota Avensis – N4.25 million
•Toyota Yaris – N2,200,000
•Toyota Avanza – N4.25 million
•Toyota RAV4 SUV – N5.56 million
•Toyota Hilus Pickup – N3.0 million
•Toyota Dyna Truck – N5.56 million
•Toyota Previa – N7.15 million
•Toyota Hiace Bus – N3.3 million
•Toyota Coaster Bus – N7.65 million
copy from naijatehguide may be its still valid i mean the price
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by donodion(m): 6:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
Its simple...in Nigeria factors such as economics and" show off" sets in.The bigger the ride the more the public ovation.All is in the mindset and orientation of the individuals.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by khalids: 6:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
voltront: Since i bought my new car my impression about used cars has totally changed. you cannot compare the PEACE OF MIND you will get from a new car to that you will get from the "CLEAN" tokunbo cars that are in the market....... remember some of the cars are imported after natural disasters such as floods has ravaged them in Europe. we here buy them and start feeling fly. before you know it its one issue after the other. Granted the initial cost in buying a used cars is far better but in the long run you will end up paying for the balance in monetary terms and emotionally over the years. especially when you can afford a new one in the first place. a new KIA RIO is better that a used CAMRY..................from experience...........mechanic use person chop TIRE!

So not on point..........This is pure fallacy. The above is usually true for people who refuse to do proper background checks on what they are buying. As a matter of buying used cars, one needs to make it a rule that you get the full history of the car. A quick run of a cars vin number on auto check will tell you if the car is salvaged, ravaged by flood, been in an accident, had any major repairs done, odometer tampering and last maintenance report, this is applicable for imported used cars. And even after this you should still get a mechanic to give it a good all round check.
I bought a used car and I took all necessary precautions before putting down a cent. its been over 2 years now and the cars as not had as much as a cough. And the beuaty of it all is if i decide to sell it next year I can still get btw 1.5 to 2million for it.

faakay: but do you know all know the risk of buying a used car at higher cost? when accident occurs or stolen? who will be responsible for the damages?

that means you will need to bear the cost because there's no warranty/insurance

but if you buy a brand new car, the company will ensure they service the car every month at no cost free of charge which will reduce cost of maintenance compared to used car.

there will also be warranty/insurance incase there's any accidental occurrence within a stipulated time given to you unlike the used ones.

Bros.....Even used cars are insured. Walk into any insurance firm, tell them you want to insure your car, they will give you a form, you fill it, pay the stipulated amount, get your certificate and the right policy. After that if you are involved in any car accident or your car gets stolen, the insurance company will be liable to pay up as stated in the terms of insurance. As regards cost of maintenance, it only cost me 10grand every three months for maintenance....so I really don't get your point.

I'm beginning to think your one of those fellows with deep pockets, otherwise I don't understand how you fail to see the economic sense/advantage in buying a used car over a new car. Just my tots
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by abatically(m): 6:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
Omila007:

Mii Lady
Firstly used products are used everywhere in the world make no mistakes about it. It has nothing to do with the mentality, be it cars gadget or anything.
Secondly most news things are financed in the developed world from gadgets, cars, homes and etc.
If you will agree with me that financing is yet to be rooted in our system as a nation then you will understand why used things sell more.
If you doubt this please go online to e-commerce websites like ebay, amazon, kijiji etc., you will see the amount of used products sold there everyday both locally and internationally.
Cars like 1998 Toyota camry still remains a very high demand car even in the u.s, they only spice it up with the type of expense chrome rims they put on it, which most times comes more expensive then the car itself.

Same thing I said in my first post. People hardly buy cars outright in developed countries, they are financed. Nigeria don't even have a biometric data of her citizens, how financing wan take work when someone can use fake info to get a loan. I would say Nigerians buy more new cars than people in developed countries because we pay FULL IN CASH. Same thing goes for houses. Next thing people will say Nigerians like buying used houses. Do u think it is easy in this country where u have to pay millions to buy a land and then build a house from scratch. In advanced countries, unless u are super rich that is when u can build ur own house the way u want. People buy used cars everywhere, countries that have better economy and standard of living than Nigeria. In advanced counties u can make a small deposit and take a new car.. u just have to pay a certain amount every month for a certain period of years. If that is possible in Nigeria a lot of people would do it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? by klens(m): 8:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
even a used 1997 Camry is better ,stronger, more durable than 2012 Kia rio. it is matter of choice, and available cash. with that 3.5 to 4.5mill you can get a good Tokumbo car that is far better than a brand new car of that worth and still have enough cash depending on the type you bought . you can't compare fairly used Highlander which is cheaper than brand new Kia models , talk more of Venza, spider, Avalon in Toyota series. if you need good Brand New car, you make a big budget for that. does anyone here knows the current price of Avalon now? that's what most guys are cruising now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Oil For Toyota Camry Big-Daddy (2003 XLE) / Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? / 8 Quick Car Hacks You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.