Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,821 members, 7,813,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly (1302 Views)

5 GEJ Ministers That Didn't Live Up To Expectation / Jonathan Unveils Vision For Next Four Years / Jonathan Unveils Gas Agenda For Power And Industrialization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan today unveiled a a drone made by the Nigeria Airforce. However, the drone named "GULMA" was not tested in flight.

PM News Report : Nigeria unveils locally made drone
Written by Ayorinde Oluokun/Abuja
Nigeria unveiled its own drone on Tuesday, appropriately named “GULMA,” (Hausa word for gossip).
The unveiling was done by President Goodluck Jonathan at Nigeria Air Force base in Kaduna, North central Nigeria
The unmanned aerial vessel was designed and constructed by the Nigeria Air Force (NAF) in collaboration with other local institutions. The President described the launch of the UAV as a ”landmark moment” in Nigeria’s history.

He also supervised the winging of 11 locally trained UAV pilots at the occasion.

”Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, with a deep sense of pride and accomplishment, I now unveil the Nigerian-made Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, also known as GULMA,” President Jonathan said at the occasion.

”Considering the potential impact of its benefit and versatility, I cannot but say, how proud I am of the men and women of our Armed Forces.

“Apart from their commitment to the protection of our sovereignty, they are helping to keep our nation ahead in military science and technology and to keep their civilian counterparts, on their toes,” the President said.

”In the year past, we have launched the first indigenous combat vessel, developed by our Navy, and various Armoured and operational vehicles developed by the Nigerian Army.

To all of you, I say thank you. Your collective efforts have opened a new vista of innovation and opportunity for our nation,” he added.

Analysts believe the UAV would be deployed to monitor the activities militant Islamic sect, Boko Haram, which has been operating in the rugged mountains and forests of Nigeria’s North east.

http://saharareporters.com/gallery/photonews-president-jonathan-unveils-locally-made-drone-didnt-fly
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 11:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
2s£xy:
President Goodluck Jonathan today unveiled a a drone made by the Nigeria Airforce. However, the drone named "GULMA" was not tested in flight.

http://saharareporters.com/gallery/photonews-president-jonathan-unveils-locally-made-drone-didnt-fly

in due time it will be tested over tinubu and sahara reporter bases

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Articul8(m): 11:52pm On Dec 17, 2013
Op,tx 4 calling our attention to dt before we all strt dancing etigi 4 smtin dt is nt working.We shld demand it shld b tested.We can b very funny set of ppl in dis country. Bt its actually a pity we cnt even trust d military. SMH
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 12:03am On Dec 18, 2013
Articul8: Op,tx 4 calling our attention to dt before we all strt dancing etigi 4 smtin dt is nt working.We shld demand it shld b tested.We can b very funny set of ppl in dis country. Bt its actually a pity we cnt even trust d military. SMH

You are like that proverbial harlot from the tales of King Solomon.

Just like your masters you will rather see this country in shambles since you have little or no contribution to her success.

Go and diet!

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 18, 2013
Bishop Magic:

You are like that proverbial harlot from the tales of King Solomon.

Just like your masters you will rather see this country in shambles since you have little or no contribution to her success.

Go and diet!

Correction : it is go and die not go and diet
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 12:28am On Dec 18, 2013
rafhell:

Correction : it is go and die not go and diet

I know what I wrote.

I want you to go on hunger strike first!

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Nobody: 12:45am On Dec 18, 2013
Bishop Magic:

I know what I wrote.

I want you to go on hunger strike first!

grin grin grin

How much millions is attached to it?
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Waspy(m): 1:23am On Dec 18, 2013
Op, A pic would do.
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by pearlworth: 6:09am On Dec 18, 2013
That's just wrong. It just shows that we lack a culture of excellence! How do you present something to your president to unveil, when its not tested?

Anyways, its the same way his aides copied and pasted a report in the papers and made him present a misquoted, factually incorrect speech. SMH
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by geeez: 6:23am On Dec 18, 2013
I was stunned when I noticed it was launched indoors

Its like commissioning a ship in the middle of the Sahara

Even if we didn't get to see its surveillance pictures, we should have seen it fly
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 6:30am On Dec 18, 2013
geeez: I was stunned when I noticed it was launched indoors

Its like commissioning a ship in the middle of the Sahara

Even if we didn't get to see its surveillance pictures, we should have seen it fly

Drones are highly covet assets.

It is not a Utility Vehicle that is unveiled for public display in a car expo show.

These drones will be gathering Intel and doing routine reconnaissance in places like Borno.

Do you expect the Military to unveil their latest weapon against Boko Haram publicly? There will be an introduction to Drones 101 class in Boko Camps to try an identify and how best to neutralize these newly acquired assets

The UMAV is operational. That's all you need to know.

You are on a need to know basis only
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by geeez: 7:06am On Dec 18, 2013
Bishop Magic:

Drones are highly covet assets.

It is not a Utility Vehicle that is unveiled for public display in a car expo show.

These drones will be gathering Intel and doing routine reconnaissance in places like Borno.

Do you expect the Military to unveil their latest weapon against Boko Haram publicly? There will be an introduction to Drones 101 class in Boko Camps to try an identify and how best to neutralize these newly acquired assets

The UMAV is operational. That's all you need to know.

You are on a need to know basis only

My friend don't be silly

If it was that covet, you shouldn't have announced its launch in the first place

Why are warships and fighter jets' military capabilities showcased after their launch?

So many of us have seen drones fly outside this country before

I just have a strong feeling the drone isn't working
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by israel007: 7:13am On Dec 18, 2013
[size=15pt]a peni*s that doesn't get erect*on has no use.

Well done though. Sure we'll get there[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by MayorofLagos(m): 7:19am On Dec 18, 2013
Drone didnt fly ke

Let me ask some pertinent questions.

1. Who will supply "uniterrupted" power for the ground controls and support? I dont want to hear ground support lost power and control of an armed drone.

2. In addition to assault missions, would it do surveillance as well?

3. Since boko has infiltrated government and army and air force, in the event bokoharam decides to use the drone for an assault mission, is there an overide from the ministry of defense?
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 7:33am On Dec 18, 2013
geeez:

My friend don't be silly

If it was that covet, you shouldn't have announced its launch in the first place

Drone technology is old. What is worth celebrating is that the Army locally manufactured this one.

Announcing the roll out of locally made technology is not the same to as displaying it's capabilities.

Do you expect the Military Brass to also give you information such as endurance, range and capabilities as well.

geeez:

Why are warships and fighter jets' military capabilities showcased after their launch?

[/b]

The technology on display is usually obsolete when it is displayed at Military shows. The American Military complex is allowed to offload outdated or replaced technology to certain friendly or allied Nation states after they have been completed or partially decommissioned.

And again Drones are covet assets that are meant to be used in gathering Intel. Having the drones displayed during a time of active conflict to which they were designed for will greatly compromise their stealth capabilities.

And FYI, most of the technology that you get to see on CNN or discovery channel are not classified as operationally sensitive.
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 18, 2013
Transformation agenda on course.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 7:50am On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Drone didnt fly ke

1. Who will supply "uniterrupted" power for the ground controls and support? I dont want to hear ground support lost power and control of an armed drone.

This is by far the daftest comment I have ever come across on NL and will not bother to educate you on how drones operate.

Mayor_of_Lagos:

2. In addition to assault missions, would it do surveillance as well?

Another spell bounding daft post that begs for education
Before you can attack you must be able to locate and target the enemy.
That is if it can attack it should be able to carry out simple recon missions.
Don't go ahead of your shadow only the U.S., China, Israel and Russia have the technology and capacity to deploy and operate assault drones.

Mayor_of_Lagos:
3. Since boko has infiltrated government and army and air force, in the event bokoharam decides to use the drone for an assault mission, is there an overide from the ministry of defense?

Before you wish doomsday for this mission capability,know that drones are Intel assets and as such only officers with high security clearance and top brass will have privy access to it's control and intel gathered.

And even if it was an assault drone, I don't think Bokos have the capacity to hack a GPS tracked and satellited guided drone
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2013
We won't be disappointed if they did nothing, so doing this is an achievement! And. Dnt see any reason why some will biliv the drones were not testing and trusted for flight!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by MayorofLagos(m): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2013
Bishop Magic:

This is by far the daftest comment I have ever come across on NL and will not bother to educate you on how drones operate.

Well, can this one go into operation? Please educate me on this drone and how it will be operated. It is a unmanned aerial vessel. How do you operate it without grounds control fed by an uniterrupted power supply? Please educate me.

Another spell bounding daft post that begs for education
Before you can attack you must be able to locate and target the enemy.
That is if it can attack it should be able to carry out simple recon missions.

Mr, I asked simple rhetorical questions and you are venting hot air out of your a** trying to prove you know the ins and outs of drone.
Reconaissance is a different operating mode from assault mission and each can occur successfully independent of the other.
Like I said, you appear to have a "drone stuck in your a**"..please get it out and start educating me on what the functions of this drone model will be.

Don't go ahead of your shadow only the U.S., China, Israel and Russia have the technology and capacity to deploy and operate assault drones.

Isnt that like saying only those countries have the knowledge to design and build a drone?
Well, here is one built in Nigeria. Right?

Do you have any idea about proprietary rights? The reason countries build their own defense equipments is to have proprietary control and manipulate its limitations. You cannot do that with licensed equipments purchased under defense contracts. This drone is not licensed to Nigeria from a foreign partner, therefore Nigeria can do with it what it wants under certain international protocols and treaties for deployment and operation of an "umanned aerialvehicle" . This liberty will include arming and employing the drone in an air assault.

You got that drone out of your a** yet?

Before you wish doomsday for this mission capability,know that drones are Intel assets and as such only officers with high security clearance and top brass will have privy access to it's control and intel gathered.

How do honest questions turn into apocalyptic paranoia in your mind?

No military installation in the entire length and breadth of Nigeria is as fortified and highly secured as Jaji, yet bokoharam got in it and after doing damage looted its armory.

If they can do that Jaji no where else is sacred and access-proofed against their intrusion or posting. They just recently destroyed NAF assets. What do you say to that?

And even if it was an assault drone, I don't think Bokos have the capacity to hack a GPS tracked and satellited guided drone

Who would have thought that a people advocating against western education would be sophisticated enough to manuever armored personnel carrier or sustain an online propaganda warfare.

You look at boko through the lens of a stereotypical Southerner who dismisses them as hungry and tattered almajiris. Some of them hold advanced degrees in engineering.

On second thought..i think you should leave that drone where its stuck up in your a**. Id hate to imagine your fvckery after you are relieved of it.
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by fijiano202(m): 8:46am On Dec 18, 2013
Question Pls,Why call it drone if it cant fly? mstchew...even microsoft get one way they work,a country like naija dey happy say they get land drone,all drone na air them dey work naa,
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by fijiano202(m): 8:48am On Dec 18, 2013
Guinness Book of Records...First Land drone ever produce nkoo
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 8:54am On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Well, can this one go into operation? Please educate me on this drone and how it will be operated. It is a unmanned aerial vessel. How do you operate it without grounds control fed by an uniterrupted power supply? Please educate me.

Mr, I asked simple rhetorical questions and you are venting hot air out of your a** trying to prove you know the ins and outs of drone.
Reconaissance is a different operating mode from assault mission and each can occur successfully independent of the other.
Like I said, you appear to have a "drone stuck in your a**"..please get it out and start educating me on what the functions of this drone model will be.

Isnt that like saying only those countries have the knowledge to design and build a drone?
Well, here is one built in Nigeria. Right?

Do you have any idea about proprietary rights? The reason countries build their own defense equipments is to have proprietary control and manipulate its limitations. You cannot do that with licensed equipments purchased under defense contracts. This drone is not licensed to Nigeria from a foreign partner, therefore Nigeria can do with it what it wants under certain international protocols and treaties for deployment and operation of an "umanned aerialvehicle" . This liberty will include arming and employing the drone in an air assault.

You got that drone out of your a** yet?

How do honest questions turn into apocalyptic paranoia in your mind?

No military installation in the entire length and breadth of Nigeria is as fortified and highly secured as Jaji, yet bokoharam got in it and after doing damage looted its armory.

If they can do that Jaji no where else is sacred and access-proofed against their intrusion or posting. They just recently destroyed NAF assets. What do you say to that?

Who would have thought that a people advocating against western education would be sophisticated enough to manuever armored personnel carrier or sustain an online propaganda warfare.

You look at boko through the lens of a stereotypical Southerner who dismisses them as hungry and tattered almajiris. Some of them hold advanced degrees in engineering.

On second thought..i think you should leave that drone where its stuck up in your a**. Id hate to imagine your fvckery after you are relieved of it.

You are daft.

I have no time to waste with you.
You should have considered procuring a descent education or at least have a basic understanding of things you hope to comment on.

Nairaland is not college. You know that right? undecided
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by MayorofLagos(m): 9:06am On Dec 18, 2013
Bishop Magic:

You are daft.

I have no time to waste with you.
You should have considered procuring a descent education or at least have a basic understanding of things you hope to comment on.

Nairaland is not college. You know that right? undecided

With professors like yourself online to teach drone education, where else can i turn?
Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by BishopMagic: 9:15am On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

With professors like yourself online to teach drone education, where else can i turn?

Where you have traditionally been getting your rationed education and disinfo programming

Re: President Jonathan Unveils Locally Made Drone That Didn't Fly by IdomaLikita: 9:30am On Dec 18, 2013
If GULMA is the 1st Locally built Drone, what about AMEBO 1 and AMEBO 2 ? They were unveiled by the CAS earlier dis year na! It was even on Nairaland I saw the News!

Smh

(1) (Reply)

How Royal Guards Gave Their Lives To Save Gov. Kwankwaso's Father / QUESTION To All Uncle J's Butt Lickers / From Entertainer To Politician,see The Campaign Posters Of Nigerian Entertainers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.