Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,398 members, 7,822,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger (3003 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Cross Military Vehicle Over The River In North East / Boko Haram Using Uthman Dan Fodio Jihad Tactics Now / Jonathan Goodluck: Vice President In Uthman Dan Fodio’s Estate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
Any publications on the subject matter? I want to know how they got their horses and men across the river.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by citizenY(m): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
with sosoliso and EKWOS and flying carpet :-Xwith sosoliso and EKWOS and flying carpet
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 7:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
citizenY: with sosoliso and EKWOS and flying carpet :-Xwith sosoliso and EKWOS and flying carpet
I saw a response and I instinctively knew it was from an idi.iot.

2 Likes

Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by tpia5: 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
By swimming or do you know of any other way?
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 7:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
tpia@:
So they swam with their horses? undecided
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by tpia5: 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
Yes they did.

Why are you asking btw.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 8:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sorry. Swimming across the Niger with horses is not possible.

Oh, why? They call it academic exercise or exploration of history; to broaden the mind.

In any case, they must've built rafts to cross with the troops and horses. And this is not the forte of dummies. It takes an intelligent military commander to make this happen.

1 Like

Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by MayorofLagos(m): 8:28pm On Dec 18, 2013
logica: Sorry. Swimming across the Niger with horses is not possible.

Oh, why? They call it academic exercise or exploration of history; to broaden the mind.

In any case, they must've built rafts to cross with the troops and horses. And this is not the forte of dummies. It takes an intelligent military commander to make this happen.

Lol. So if they didnt use the method given by first responder, could not have used the one given by second responder and you believed they built a raft to transport them across, you have answered your question. Just type raft across the niger in google, you might be lucky and get results but remember Niger is very long. Good luck with probe. Share your findings with this community.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 8:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:
but remember Niger is very long.
When you say a river was crossed, does that mean you travel the length of the river or the cross-section of the river? The answer to that should make this difficult subject of river crossing (which rivals rocket science in difficulty to understand by the way) much easier to understand.

And by the way, using rafts isn't the only way. There are and were several ways employed by armies of that age to cross rivers; which included building bridges.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by homesteady(m): 8:50pm On Dec 18, 2013
tpia@:

Lord have mercy! grin grin
So they swam with their horses?
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by Dannylux: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
tpia@:
Yes they did.

Why are you asking btw.

Because He thinks you're an evil marine spirit roaming about Nairaland in search of souls to consume.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by MayorofLagos(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
logica: When you say a river was crossed, does that mean you travel the length of the river or the cross-section of the river? The answer to that should make this difficult subject of river crossing (which rivals rocket science in difficulty to understand by the way) much easier to understand.

And by the way, using rafts isn't the only way. There are and were several ways employed by armies of that age to cross rivers; which included building bridges.

If you type in across river niger you will get tons of results from people crossing it in different parts of West Africa. The river is called Niger along its entire path. Thats what i meant. So much for your paraded intelligence!
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by MayorofLagos(m): 9:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
logica: When you say a river was crossed, does that mean you travel the length of the river or the cross-section of the river? The answer to that should make this difficult subject of river crossing (which rivals rocket science in difficulty to understand by the way) much easier to understand.

Jihadists had no time for all these structures you are putting up, ok?

Before Uthman dan Fodio was born people crossed that river. How did they do it?

Fodio did not cross the niger with warriors. The dethronement of Afonja in Ilorin was palace coup by residents. Therefore there is no basis to study how fodio cavalry crossed niger.

1 Like

Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by tpia5: 9:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
The op is thinking of julius ceasar and the rubicon.

1 Like

Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 9:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

So much for your paraded intelligence!
I by no means would "parade" intelligence. I leave that to those with grand delusions; like being a mayor of Lagos. Now, my first post reaches out to those who have read about the crossing or any treatise (books for the dim, that is) on the subject matter. If you don't have any such contribution, I will advise you leave this thread before I descend heavily on you.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by MayorofLagos(m): 9:21pm On Dec 18, 2013
tpia@:
The op is thinking of julius ceasar and the rubicon.

I bet. grin

Doing research about an event that has no history, explains why he couldnt find any book on it.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by MayorofLagos(m): 9:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
logica: I by no means would "parade" intelligence. I leave that to those with grand delusions; like being a mayor of Lagos. Now, my first post reaches out to those who have read about the crossing or any treatise (books for the dim, that is) on the subject matter. If you don't have any such contribution, I will advise you leave this thread before I descend heavily on you.

..bring it on! waiting to clip off your descending wings.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

..bring it on! waiting to clip off your descending wings.
I think you should go home and clip off your father's wings, first, then your mother's. When you are done, give me a call.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 9:42pm On Dec 18, 2013
OK, now even monkeys with their chattering a can contribute to a debate (never mind not understanding them though).

So I was made to understand that the Fulani warriors didn't cross the Niger (with their horses). Meaning the entire Jihad on this side of the Niger was fought by proxy on their behalf by Yoruba Muslims. How true is this?
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by citizenY(m): 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2013
logica: I saw a response and I instinctively knew it was from an idi.iot.

You are the idi.ot. You asked a question and got an answer.

Ignoramus ,
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by fr3do(m): 12:58am On Dec 19, 2013
Has anyone thought about the most likely way?
Crossing the shallow part of the river.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 2:12am On Dec 19, 2013
citizenY:

You are the idi.ot. You asked a question and got an answer.

Ignoramus ,

Maybe you didn't check the name of the person who created the thread. If your fingers are so itchy that you must post an answer (no matter how stu.pid), then I would recommend you go ask your FATHER before you post.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 2:13am On Dec 19, 2013
fr3do: Has anyone thought about the most likely way?
Crossing the shallow part of the river.
Now I have to determine which parts of the river are shallow. The shallowest that can come to mind would be closer to the ocean though (in the delta region).
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by hercules07: 5:55am On Dec 19, 2013
They probably waited till the dry seasons to move their horses across, or they worked with the guys living by the Niger to cross.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by citizenY(m): 10:47am On Dec 19, 2013
logica: Maybe you didn't check the name of the person who created the thread. If your fingers are so itchy that you must post an answer (no matter how stu.pid), then I would recommend you go ask your FATHER before you post.

Names are only words and letters. The best name could be given to an slowpoke.... like your case who cannot avoid bringing fathers into their affairs...
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by aljharem(m): 11:00am On Dec 19, 2013
during the dry season river niger is quite swallow and a horse can cross it. also the nupes, yorubas have had boats and rifts used to cross one border to another. I guess fulanis had the same
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 11:23am On Dec 19, 2013
alj harem: during the dry season river niger is quite swallow and a horse can cross it. also the nupes, yorubas have had boats and rifts used to cross one border to another. I guess fulanis had the same
Hmm. I never thought of the Niger being that shallow. That's bad news for those who are thinking of dredging for ocean-liners. Rafts are OK for moving horses, but definitely not boats. Any small agitation by the horses (especially due to the fact that boats rock a lot) and the boat capsizes.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by fiizznation: 11:36am On Dec 19, 2013
They simply used ferries if actually they crossed d river niger•

Ur question is jst very myopic. Is jst like saying how did the brits/french/portugese got into africa with all the oceans and seas that seperate us ?
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by aljharem(m): 11:57am On Dec 19, 2013
logica: Hmm. I never thought of the Niger being that shallow. That's bad news for those who are thinking of dredging for ocean-liners. Rafts are OK for moving horses, but definitely not boats. Any small agitation by the horses (especially due to the fact that boats rock a lot) and the boat capsizes.

it quite difficult to access how they crossed it though. These are all speculations.
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by aljharem(m): 11:57am On Dec 19, 2013
fiizznation: They simply used ferries if actually they crossed d river niger•

Ur question is jst very myopic. Is jst like saying how did the brits/french/portugese got into africa with all the oceans and seas that seperate us ?

was it documented ?
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by blacksta(m): 11:58am On Dec 19, 2013
fiizznation: They simply used ferries if actually they crossed d river niger•

I agree
Re: Uthman Dan Fodio Crossing The River Niger by logica(m): 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2013
fiizznation:
Apart from your expression or should I say syntactic construct "question is very myopic" which doesn't make any sense as you are treating my question as a human (personification?); I will say your analogy here fails miserably as we know exactly how the parties you mentioned got into Africa. It was well documented, and even with dates.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Tore My PDP Card / Photo: Invitation Card For The Presidential Inauguration Ceremony. / Survival In Biafra. Pictures From Queen Elisabeth Hospital Umuahia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.