Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 (9356 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda's 'americanah' Tops Bbc's 10 Best Of 2013 Books / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by jnrbayano(m): 1:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
That's my lovely sister. The humble daughter of a Professor. She really has placed Abba Town (Anambra State) in the map.
True role model extra-ordinariere!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Adflex1(m): 1:43pm On Dec 20, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Soon naija pikin go be world president AH PRAY O cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Mirahcul: 1:46pm On Dec 20, 2013
Wow...jst finished HALF OF A YELLOW SUN few days ago... HER books are so interesting...i must read this one
#rushes off to google..typing download Americanah epub#

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by informatix: 1:48pm On Dec 20, 2013
Up Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by jajad: 1:52pm On Dec 20, 2013
This is really nice. Congratulations to her. But for balance, Americanah was on some worst of the year lists too.

Americanah by Chimananda Ngozi Adichie – 2013 saw a more virulent rash of arrogant, preening foreigners using their book contracts to sling mud ineptly on the culture that made those book contracts possible than it’s seen since the backlash the US incurred by saving the world from Hitler – only this time without the literary talent. Of the many examples of this deplorable trend in 2013, Americanah was by a wide margin the worst, not only for its many blocks of exposition about how racist everything is but for its bloated self-satisfaction that those blocks of exposition are in fact what the book’s paying customers came here for. This last may be right; they certainly didn’t come for plot, character development, or dialogue, all three of which steadfastly remain at the grade school level in this story of a pure-hearted ingenue who emigrates to horrible, racist America (where even the gated academies aren’t truly color-blind, and where no black person could ever dream of being the country’s highest-paid sports celebrity, most-beloved TV star, or, you know, President) and encounters mean people in her quest for a world as perfect as she is.

From http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/stevereads/2013/12/worst-books-of-2013-fiction/

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
muktarl: Anambra Ibos are of different species. First it was Achebe and now its Adichie. Congrats Ngozi.

Why do some of you lack shame sometimes.

*spits*

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Beyonce effect!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by chefdoeuvre: 2:15pm On Dec 20, 2013
Baby mama:

Loser!

The book is a best seller ,won awards and now a movie
It is a tremendous success
a knock out for decades to come
Made her a household name
The world knows Chimamanda while you are just an insignificant ,fly by night,unknown,gender-less moniker on a local website
Obviously it wasn't meant for blockheads and nonentities
Fatality gringringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by chefdoeuvre: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
jajad: This is really nice. Congratulations to her. But for balance, Americanah was on some worst of the year lists too.

From http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/stevereads/2013/12/worst-books-of-2013-fiction/
Argumentum ad hominem.. This review seemed more personal than educational..

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
ok,i reserve my comment.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Ranchhoddas: 2:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
lonelydora: A UNN graduate is ahead of you naturally.
no dey come fall our hand here abeg!she's not a UNN graduate.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by striker9(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Congrats
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by lastmessenger: 3:31pm On Dec 20, 2013
I dont like reading fiction stories.i prefer real life stories
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by kraftykc(m): 3:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
This woman is overrated IMHO. I couldn't pick up half of a yellow sun to save my life and I just feel all her works are recycled. She lacks originality in my eyes.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by kraftykc(m): 3:40pm On Dec 20, 2013
Oh yeah, I will categorically state now that Adichie does not represent me or my Igbo identity. She is Nigerian and is a product of NIGERIA. This is a triumph for all Nigerians that support her (not to mention her worldwide audience which is significantly higher). No need for peeps to come and start claiming village-mate with national symbol
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Pchizy: 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ranchhoddas: no dey come fall our hand here abeg!she's not a UNN graduate.

You may nt believ this, but thats jxt d truth. She studied Medicine & Pharmacy in UNN (she use to edit sch magazine then). The dad waz a Prof in Statistics dept, the mom waz 1st female registrar.

I Will Never Forget This Her Talk:: (use to listen to that in Lion Fm), ''THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY'' by Chi..... Adichie (plz watch dat in youtube or download, quite interesting & knowledgeable
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Ekob(m): 4:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
for those of you who would like to read and get lost completely in another world of marvel and ecstacy like i did,,well here is the link to download the three books-'purple habiscus,Americannah,half of the yellow sun'
http://www.gallery.mobile9.com/topic/?tp=chima&ty=551

Note-make sure ur phone has an ibuilt ebub reader or you can as well go ahead and download it too.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Egbagirl(f): 5:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
Has anyone actually read the book? I started and literally got half way but I find myself struggling to finish it for some reason.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Noneroone(m): 5:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
Only in Igboland can you see such a thing- a woman who doubles as a medical doctor and a political scientist.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by eeeeeee: 5:33pm On Dec 20, 2013
A very talented lady.

A high achiever, from a blessed background and innovative people.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by eeeeeee: 5:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
Egba girl: Has anyone actually read the book? I started and literally got half way but I find myself struggling to finish it for some reason.
I believe the obvious reason is that you lack the level of intellect required to appreciate such books.
I recommend you stick to the Macmillan series.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Egbagirl(f): 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
eeeeeee:
I believe the obvious reason is that you lack the level of intellect required to appreciate such books.

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA! I couldn't help but laugh. Abeg, biko commot road and let those who understand what I'm talking about comment. I need some real intellectual discussion about the book. tongue
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by muktarl: 5:51pm On Dec 20, 2013
eeeeeee:

he really does not understand the grammar in the book. i think he needs to go back to elementary 3.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Ngokafor(f): 6:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
muktarl: Anambra Ibos are of different species. First it was Achebe and now its Adichie. Congrats Ngozi.

..What a silly comment!!...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Ranchhoddas: 8:53pm On Dec 20, 2013
Pchizy:

You may nt believ this, but thats jxt d truth. She studied Medicine & Pharmacy in UNN (she use to edit sch magazine then). The dad waz a Prof in Statistics dept, the mom waz 1st female registrar.

I Will Never Forget This Her Talk:: (use to listen to that in Lion Fm), ''THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY'' by Chi..... Adichie (plz watch dat in youtube or download, quite interesting & knowledgeable
she was in UNN for a year and a half,she did not graduate,check wikipedia,i am a pharmacy student in UNN...thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Rayvene(f): 10:41pm On Dec 20, 2013
lonelydora: A UNN graduate is ahead of you naturally.
joi de viv: A lioness. UNN is proud of you.
I personally recommend the book for everyone. Ifemelu vs Obinze
Baby mama:

So she is a fellow lioness
Fantastic!

Restoring the dignity of man for sure!

You go fear famzing.
Stop deceiving yourselves undecided
She's not an alumna of UNN.She only studied there for about a year or so before leaving for The States.
Get your facts straight wink
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Ranchhoddas: 10:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
Rayvene:

You go fear famzing.
Stop deceiving yourselves undecided
She's not an alumna of UNN.She only studied there for about a year or so before leaving for The States.
Get your facts straight wink
help me tell them ooo
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by rossi49ja(m): 12:09am On Dec 21, 2013
kingthreat: Can't read any of her books. Wasted my time reading half-way of Half of a Yellow Sun. A Biafran apologist like her mentor Chinua Achebe.
The same Chinua Achebe said and I quote 'If you don't like my story, write yours'. So, if you don't like her story, pen yours let's see if you can muster even a soul to skim through it. Dude, out with the bad blood, it will do you no good.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by valdprof: 12:43am On Dec 21, 2013
joi de viv: A lioness. UNN is proud of you.
I personally recommend the book for everyone. Ifemelu vs Obinze
UNN is great shaaa.... If not for anything , there gsp 102 course awakens latent writing instincts
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by igbo2011(m): 6:20am On Dec 21, 2013
Why do Africans always want white acceptance and approval? Neogrpeans.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

¤¤The Trio¤¤ / Let's Write A Book! / SANDRA a Love, Passion And Betrayal novel-By Redgem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.