Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,348 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 (9357 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda's 'americanah' Tops Bbc's 10 Best Of 2013 Books / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by foreignwife(f): 7:46am On Dec 21, 2013
I've been fortunate enough to read all of her books. Half of A Yellow Sun was really well write. It made me study the Biagran War more indepth. Purple Hibiscus revealed how pervasive abuse is in families and how it destroys everyone when cloaked in secrecy. [color=#770077][/color]
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by TheWhiteLynchM(m): 10:26am On Dec 21, 2013
grin
chefd'oeuvre:

Fatality gringringringrin
grin
chefd'oeuvre:

Fatality gringringringrin
Brutality
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by TheWhiteLynchM(m): 10:31am On Dec 21, 2013
eeeeeee:
I believe the obvious reason is that you lack the level of intellect required to appreciate such books.
I recommend you stick to the Macmillan series.
fatality grin
eeeeeee:
I believe the obvious reason is that you lack the level of intellect required to appreciate such books.
fatality

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by DrJCarter(m): 12:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
kingthreat: Can't read any of her books. Wasted my time reading half-way of Half of a Yellow Sun. A Biafran apologist like her mentor Chinua Achebe.

go and die

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by kingthreat(m): 1:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Dr J. Carter:

go and die

Go screw urself.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by valdprof: 11:32pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pchizy:

You may nt believ this, but thats jxt d truth. She studied Medicine & Pharmacy in UNN (she use to edit sch magazine then). The dad waz a Prof in Statistics dept, the mom waz 1st female registrar.

I Will Never Forget This Her Talk:: (use to listen to that in Lion Fm), ''THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY'' by Chi..... Adichie (plz watch dat in youtube or download, quite interesting & knowledgeable
Scarcely had she studied for a year in our school when she left for America at the age of seventeen...she is not a unn graduate
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by donteelo: 5:15am On Dec 23, 2013
Egba girl: Has anyone actually read the book? I started and literally got half way but I find myself struggling to finish it for some reason.
eeeeeee:

Egba girl is so right. While I am proud of Chimamanda as a Nigerian, I wonder how many people commenting on this thread actually read the book. Did you read it eeeeeee? I highly doubt it.

I was quite excited to read the book but like Egba girl I struggled; although I managed to finish it. The book was tedious, completely unrelated to its blurb, and merely an avenue for Chimamanda to share her opinions on race and anecdotoes about life in Nigeria. I read Purple Hibiscus and I loved it. Even though I did not enjoy this book I still admire her skill as a writer. And like I said earlier, I am still proud of her. But for once, Nigerians, call a spade a spade. A book is not fantastic just because your fellow Nigerian wrote it, and you are not unpatrotic for admitting it.

And for those that have not even read the book but find it neceesary to comment, for those that are arguing UNN, igbo 4 life!, I have no words.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Egbagirl(f): 1:44pm On Dec 23, 2013
donteelo:

Egba girl is so right. While I am proud of Chimamanda as a Nigerian, I wonder how many people commenting on this thread actually read the book. Did you read it eeeeeee? I highly doubt it.

I was quite excited to read the book but like Egba girl I struggled; although I managed to finish it. The book was tedious, completely unrelated to its blurb, and merely an avenue for Chimamanda to share her opinions on race and anecdotoes about life in Nigeria. I read Purple Hibiscus and I loved it. Even though I did not enjoy this book I still admire her skill as a writer. And like I said earlier, I am still proud of her. But for once, Nigerians, call a spade a spade. A book is not fantastic just because your fellow Nigerian wrote it, and you are not unpatrotic for admitting it.

And for those that have not even read the book but find it neceesary to comment, for those that are arguing UNN, igbo 4 life!, I have no words.

I loved Purple Hibiscus too! My favorite so far. For me, I wasn't initially excited becagae I felt the hype about it was too much but then a couple of people that I trust with books recommended it to me.... I still haven't finished it yet undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by donteelo: 10:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
Egba girl:

I loved Purple Hibiscus too! My favorite so far. For me, I wasn't initially excited becagae I felt the hype about it was too much but then a couple of people that I trust with books recommended it to me.... I still haven't finished it yet undecided

How far have you gotten? I think you should just labour through. It has its moments. I found I preferred Obinze's parts of the story to Ifemelu's. Wbu?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Vivauche(f): 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2013
Hello luvlies! Pls can someone send me links where I can download books lik dat of chimamanda Adichie, Nora Roberts.. My email kokovinchi@gmail.com. Thnksss
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 'Americanah' Tops BBC's Top 10 Books Of 2013 by Egbagirl(f): 3:37am On Dec 30, 2013
donteelo:

How far have you gotten? I think you should just labour through. It has its moments. I found I preferred Obinze's parts of the story to Ifemelu's. Wbu?

Chapter 31. I tried again but failed.... sad I'll keep trying cause I have to finish lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

¤¤The Trio¤¤ / Let's Write A Book! / SANDRA a Love, Passion And Betrayal novel-By Redgem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.