Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,832 members, 7,844,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? (722 Views)

Michael Adebolajo Attacked In Jail / MI5 'Tried To Recruit' Michael Adebolajo / Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? by eeeeeee: 12:43am On Dec 20, 2013
Their crime was one of shocking brutality. Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale first ran down soldier Lee Rigby in a car, then hacked him to death in a frenzied machete and knife attack.

Confronted with gory closed-circuit TV footage, grueling witness testimony and Adebolajo's own defense that he had "no choice" in Rigby's killing, as he was "a soldier of Allah," the jury took only 90 minutes to convict both defendants of his murder.
Both men converted to Islam after growing up in Christian Nigerian families.

Adebolajo also told jurors he was against British foreign policy but did not believe his Islamic views led him onto the path he had taken.

"Even before I became Muslim, I did not agree with foreign policy," he said, then describing an early memory of watching the Iraq war on television.

"'Operation Shock and Awe' -- I saw it unfold on BBC and CNN what not, and I was disgusted, you know. It was reported as if it was praiseworthy," he said. "I knew that every one of those bombs was killing someone. I was disgusted."

Adebolajo, who is married with six children, said in his police interview, shown in court, that he didn't like blood. He maintained that he posed no threat to civilians, only to the British military because of its actions overseas. He tried to cut Rigby's head off because it was the proper method under Allah, he said.

"It brings me little joy to approach anybody and slay them. Can you believe me? I am not a man who gains enjoyment from watching horror films," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/world/europe/uk-soldier-killing-profiles/
Re: What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? by mgbeketoto: 12:50am On Dec 20, 2013
Their 'tribe'! kiss

1 Like

Re: What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? by eeeeeee: 1:07am On Dec 20, 2013
mgbeketoto: Their 'tribe'! kiss
lipsrsealed
Re: What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? by Nobody: 2:47am On Dec 20, 2013
grin
Re: What Led Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale To Murder Rigby? by eeeeeee: 9:33am On Dec 20, 2013
I don't think you can prove that even though it seems Nigerians are perceived as violent.
What disturbs me is that they used Islam as a back up, and I know that not all Muslims are violent.
It may be an intermix of religion, ethnic background and upbringing.

(1) (Reply)

‘what The Nigerian President Should Have Written’:The Washington Post Rips GEJ / APC Says Members Denied Voters Cards Ahead Of Osun Election / As Confab Ends: How Kutigi, Akinyemi Handled The North/south Divide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.