Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer (22025 Views)

Jonathan With The Son Of Martin Luther King Jr / Buhari Is Failing Already-Yemi Adebowale / Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale Is The 2nd Woolwich Suspect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by free2ryhme: 8:27pm On May 25, 2013
The mother of a suspected Islamic terrorist who allegedly hacked a British soldier to death tried desperately to turn him away from extremism but “could not get through”, according to friends.
Woolwich attacks: Michael Adebowale's mother 'tried to prevent radicalisation'
Juliet Obasuyi looked for help nine months ago after her son, left, dropped out of university

Michael Adebowale, the 22-year-old son of a Christian probation officer and a member of staff at the Nigerian High Commission, was filmed holding a bloodied cleaver in his hand after Drummer Lee Rigby was butchered in a London street.

Friends said he had been a “lovely boy” but became involved in some “serious trouble” as a teenager and then turned to Islam. He started mixing with some “bad people” and became increasingly extreme in his views.

His mother Juliet Obasuyi, a 43-year-old probation officer, went to her friend and neighbour, a 62-year-old security officer, for help about nine months ago after her son dropped out of university.

She told him: “Michael is not listening any more. His older sister is a good Christian with a degree but Michael is rebelling as he has no father figure, dropping out of university and handing out leaflets in Woolwich town centre.

“He is from a strong Christian family but he is turning to Islam and turning against the family. He is preaching in the streets. He needs spiritual guidance before he radicalises himself.”

Another friend, Steve Adebiyi, who started a company with Mrs Obasuyi, said she was often left in tears after speaking to him on the phone. “The boy was giving the mother problems,” he said. “She said he was in with some bad group and causing a lot of trouble. They brainwashed him.”

He and Michael Adebolajo, the other suspected terrorist, are thought to have met at Greenwich University.

His mother was advised by a neighbour to take him to the head of the Woolwich mosque for spiritual guidance. He was converted to Islam by the head Imam, and taken for weeks of "further training" at a centre near Cambridge.

When he returned, however, he was even more "radicalised" and his mother could no longer "get through to him". A spokesman for the mosque said they did not know if he attended or been converted there.

She subsequently returned to Nigeria, where she is pursuing a career in politics.

Neighbours in Greenwich said he had been a "lovely boy" who was a keen Manchester United fan, but as a teenager became "angry at a lot of things".

Magdalene Edwards told Channel 4 News: "He was a lovely boy. Very gentle natured, very respectful to elderly people.

"He was angry at a lot of things like a lot of young people are. About a year ago is when I saw him with this whole Muslim dress.

"I said to him are you a Muslim. And he said yes, he's gone that way now. I said just be careful, I'm aware that there are some that ride on the coat tales of Islam and they're really not serving their cause."

Adebowale's father, Adeniyi, was born in Nigeria but came to Britain to study at Canterbury University. He and Mrs Obasuyi had a child, Michael, but subsequently split up.

His mother married twice but is now understood to be single. well as working as a fashion director she also started a small fashion business. She raised Adebowale in Woolwich and Greenwich along with his half sister.

Adebowale attended Kidbrooke School in Greenwich, where friends said he was a "normal, smiling teenager". Luqman Ciise, one of his schoolmates, said: "I knew him personally, he was normal, smiling all the time. His name was Toby... Still can't believe this."

According to a friend he and his girlfriend, a fellow convert, became well-known in south-east London for handing out extremist leaflets.

Adebowale's father now works for the Nigerian High Commission in a flat just yards froim Holloway prison in North London. His flat was raided on Thursday morning.

A neighbour said: "He has lived here for at least ten years. He is a very smart and polite man, who is known to everyone as Niyi. On Thursday morning I was woken up by the sound of banging and shouts of 'armed police'. I looked out and police were running into Niyi's flat.

"I then heard them shout 'No firearms and No drugs'. I have got no idea what happened to Niyi, but I haven't seen him since.

"It came as a big shock because he is a professional man who works at the Nigerian High Commission. He leaves everyday in a collar and tie and does not get home until about 8pm."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10079781/Woolwich-attack-Michael-Adebowales-mother-tried-to-prevent-radicalisation.html
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Sunofgod(m): 8:39pm On May 25, 2013
na wa ohh . . . .she should have sent him back home when he first started acting up.

4 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:12pm On May 25, 2013
Sun of god: na wa ohh . . . .she should have sent him back home when he first started acting up.
He would still be who he wants to be regardless of where he is
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Idowuogbo(f): 9:18pm On May 25, 2013
ULSHERLAN:
He would still be who he wants to be regardless of where he is
I disagree.

17 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Kingslaw(m): 9:41pm On May 25, 2013
He would have been better in Nigeria with his gran-mum in itamakpako!

Very sad!

That is why thay said 'a life without Christ is full of crises'.

7 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:06pm On May 25, 2013
Idowuogbo:
I disagree.
He has been brainwashed already. Him coming to Nigeria will make no difference because he sure will look for pple with like minds and like you know Nigeria is also having problems caused by extremist which he happens to be already.

3 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by redsun(m): 10:15pm On May 25, 2013
A responsible father figure is very crucial in a male's child life,growing up in cold london as a black kid.

With mums constantly at work,hen parties,baby showers,church and all the unnecessary gathering,a father away,they are the mercies of the element.Especially at preteen stage,as soon as they enter high school.

4 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by free2ryhme: 10:19pm On May 25, 2013

now the illuminati got a t-shirt out for a massacre they orchestrated

2 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by gramci: 10:37pm On May 25, 2013
Sun of god: na wa ohh . . . .she should have sent him back home when he first started acting up.

God forbid! You want him to join his boko brothers

2 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:05pm On May 25, 2013
okayyyyyyy....to join boko haram abi?
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by free2ryhme: 12:00am On May 26, 2013

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic athlete with prosthetic legs quickly became the figurehead of transhumanism and its “infinite potential”. Last month, he was charged for the murder of his girlfriend. Oddly enough, the slogan of his Nike ad was “I am the bullet in the chamber”.[/font]

His girlfriend was his blood sacrifice
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by tpia5: 12:44am On May 26, 2013

i agree.

1 Like

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by tpia5: 12:46am On May 26, 2013
ULSHERLAN:
He has been brainwashed already. Him coming to Nigeria will make no difference because he sure will look for pple with like minds and like you know Nigeria is also having problems caused by extremist which he happens to be already.

true, nigeria is also changing but at least he might have sobered up a bit, if he wasnt in the company of bad role models.
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by bebe2(f): 12:20pm On May 26, 2013
u see, dis is the problem wit this country, they want to control everything.

they wont let u discipline ur child the way u want but wen it all goes wrong u get the blame.

my experience in the hands of the social service and police a few weeks ago thot me alot. here is a link to the saga if u want the gist.

https://www.nairaland.com/1274997/updated-dem-don-call-police

i am seriously thinking wat am going to do wit my boys wen they get to secondary school level i know its going to be a big challenge.

5 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by fittty(m): 12:26pm On May 26, 2013
The biggest problem with religion is that,for the most part,it teaches that the world is a bad place and that there is a better hereafter, which is ironic,cause the world would probably be a better place without religion

6 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by UNLEASHED(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2013
The head Imam should be arrested undecided

1 Like

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by excondido(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2013
there is always a common denominator to all the terrorist activities no matter the ethnicity, country, race and even continent..............why?
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Nobody: 12:35pm On May 26, 2013
I'll like to meet the shrink that twists these niccurs heads.

I'll like him to talk to me about money.

seems they know how to influence people.

3 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by BarryX(m): 12:36pm On May 26, 2013
The Mum should have sent him back home , at least with the mum's name sounding Benin , it would have gone a long way shaaa. But why crying over spoilt milkn let him face & dance to the music he decides to play
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by omaigala(m): 12:39pm On May 26, 2013
Why is terrorism always linked with islam?

11 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:40pm On May 26, 2013
bebe2:
u've said it all. They jes won't allow u train ur child. That's all!
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Gee001: 12:41pm On May 26, 2013
Whether muslim or christian, religion should'nt be used as a yardstick to determine one's character cos every religion teaches about peace. There are pple who are good n are muslims n also bad pple who are christians, also gud pple who r christians n bad muslims. It's all abt d mind-set.

2 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by darkwarp: 12:42pm On May 26, 2013
If he comes to Nigeria, he will only come and set up another form of extremism group that probably be worse that that of Boko Haram. There are a lot of people there that are available to fall for any form of brain washing! What a bad name to we Nigerians in Diaspora!
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:44pm On May 26, 2013
I must study the psychology behind Islamic
extremism. Just look at the guy, he looks ret@
rded from all the brainwashing. Maybe I can apply
the same methods to the opposite sex, and
business.
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Ayoobscom(m): 12:46pm On May 26, 2013
Every hour a British /American soldiers are in iraq/Afghanistan/palestine killing the innocent people and raping their women,me and you are not aware because no BBC,CNN to cover the footage of their terrorism on these innocent lives and broadcast to the world like a Sample British soldier hacked down and everybody is here everywhere with trumpet Islamist,terrorism etc.

Terrorism is a culture orchestrated by the English men...they munched on Indian Africa and even Australian

No nation can harm the west as half as the west had harmed them in the past and present

The west stand for the evil of oppression and terrorism that is bringing the world down to its knees

If they and American/British military man had done what Micheal did to an Afghanistan its either never not heard of by anyone or politically reported

Nansense bigots...

WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY MIGHT HAVE DONE MICHEAL JUST because HE'S BLACK OR REVERTED TO ISLAM....

Man's nerve cannot contain every pain...some pain are explosive and unmanageable.

PIGS HATING DOGS...real terrors

12 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by mrofficial(m): 12:46pm On May 26, 2013
free2ryhme:

now the illuminati got a t-shirt out for a massacre they orchestrated

Are you for real? lol.
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 26, 2013
bebe2: u see, dis is the problem wit this country, they want to control everything.

they wont let u discipline ur child the way u want but wen it all goes wrong u get the blame.

my experience in the hands of the social service and police a few weeks ago thot me alot. here is a link to the saga if u want the gist.

https://www.nairaland.com/1274997/updated-dem-don-call-police

i am seriously thinking wat am going to do wit my boys wen they get to secondary school level i know its going to be a big challenge.
when its time for them to goto high school, I will advice you to send them to a very good private school, boarding house in Lagos, where they would be trained example of such schools British international school and a whole lot more. Goodluck
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by dotcomnamename: 12:50pm On May 26, 2013
free2ryhme: The mother of a suspected Islamic terrorist who allegedly hacked a British soldier to death tried desperately to turn him away from extremism but “could not get through”, according to friends.
Woolwich attacks: Michael Adebowale's mother 'tried to prevent radicalisation'
Juliet Obasuyi looked for help nine months ago after her son, left, dropped out of university

Michael Adebowale, the 22-year-old son of a Christian probation officer and a member of staff at the Nigerian High Commission, was filmed holding a bloodied cleaver in his hand after Drummer Lee Rigby was butchered in a London street.

Friends said he had been a “lovely boy” but became involved in some “serious trouble” as a teenager and then turned to Islam. He started mixing with some “bad people” and became increasingly extreme in his views.

His mother Juliet Obasuyi, a 43-year-old probation officer, went to her friend and neighbour, a 62-year-old security officer, for help about nine months ago after her son dropped out of university.

She told him: “Michael is not listening any more. His older sister is a good Christian with a degree but Michael is rebelling as he has no father figure, dropping out of university and handing out leaflets in Woolwich town centre.

“He is from a strong Christian family but he is turning to Islam and turning against the family. He is preaching in the streets. He needs spiritual guidance before he radicalises himself.”

Another friend, Steve Adebiyi, who started a company with Mrs Obasuyi, said she was often left in tears after speaking to him on the phone. “The boy was giving the mother problems,” he said. “She said he was in with some bad group and causing a lot of trouble. They brainwashed him.”

He and Michael Adebolajo, the other suspected terrorist, are thought to have met at Greenwich University.

His mother was advised by a neighbour to take him to the head of the Woolwich mosque for spiritual guidance. He was converted to Islam by the head Imam, and taken for weeks of "further training" at a centre near Cambridge.

When he returned, however, he was even more "radicalised" and his mother could no longer "get through to him". A spokesman for the mosque said they did not know if he attended or been converted there.

She subsequently returned to Nigeria, where she is pursuing a career in politics.

Neighbours in Greenwich said he had been a "lovely boy" who was a keen Manchester United fan, but as a teenager became "angry at a lot of things".

Magdalene Edwards told Channel 4 News: "He was a lovely boy. Very gentle natured, very respectful to elderly people.

"He was angry at a lot of things like a lot of young people are. About a year ago is when I saw him with this whole Muslim dress.

"I said to him are you a Muslim. And he said yes, he's gone that way now. I said just be careful, I'm aware that there are some that ride on the coat tales of Islam and they're really not serving their cause."

Adebowale's father, Adeniyi, was born in Nigeria but came to Britain to study at Canterbury University. He and Mrs Obasuyi had a child, Michael, but subsequently split up.

His mother married twice but is now understood to be single. well as working as a fashion director she also started a small fashion business. She raised Adebowale in Woolwich and Greenwich along with his half sister.

Adebowale attended Kidbrooke School in Greenwich, where friends said he was a "normal, smiling teenager". Luqman Ciise, one of his schoolmates, said: "I knew him personally, he was normal, smiling all the time. His name was Toby... Still can't believe this."

According to a friend he and his girlfriend, a fellow convert, became well-known in south-east London for handing out extremist leaflets.

Adebowale's father now works for the Nigerian High Commission in a flat just yards froim Holloway prison in North London. His flat was raided on Thursday morning.

A neighbour said: "He has lived here for at least ten years. He is a very smart and polite man, who is known to everyone as Niyi. On Thursday morning I was woken up by the sound of banging and shouts of 'armed police'. I looked out and police were running into Niyi's flat.

"I then heard them shout 'No firearms and No drugs'. I have got no idea what happened to Niyi, but I haven't seen him since.

"It came as a big shock because he is a professional man who works at the Nigerian High Commission. He leaves everyday in a collar and tie and does not get home until about 8pm."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10079781/Woolwich-attack-Michael-Adebowales-mother-tried-to-prevent-radicalisation.html

[size=15pt]Either the Woolwich attackers are Nigerians or not, Muslim or Christian, the point is- Prevention is better than cure, in the sense that you should bring up a child in the way he should go and when he grow up he will depart from it.

As a strong Christian/Muslim, the way he should go is d way of d Lord which is what the attacker parents should have done wen they were small and they would have be a passionate Christian/Muslim.

Teach your children the way of the lord every day and night, simple.[/size]
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Dreamflyin(m): 12:53pm On May 26, 2013
Dem for send him come him village for naija. By d time hunga wire am, and he see im mates dey hustle for lagos sun, no b person go change him mindset. If he even mistake go lagos mosque, d abokis go even deny him.
Nigeria has always and will always be d asylum/correction facility for all the oyiboland crazy kids.
A friend family use style dump their daughter for cousin house waka go bak. If u see d gal nw ehh; na she dey kneel down, use rag wipe floor wella, wash utensils, sweep sweepables n all. U go surprise say na d same chick wey dey smoke like there was no 2moro and does cocaine like snacks.

9 Likes

Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 26, 2013
I just feel there is more 2 dis story. I'm still not contented with all dis.

*sits down & relax as d story unfolds*
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 26, 2013
At least d guy don mk name 4 himself*him dey popular like tuface
Re: Michael Adebowale, Is The Son Of A Probation Officer by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 26, 2013

Sent him home as punishment or to join boko haram What a shame...

This is just the product of a broken home.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South-West Governments Kick Against IGP Determining Amotekun’s Structure / How Many Wards In Nigeria????? / Kingsley Egeson Slumps And Dies At A Public Function In Imo State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.